ADVERTISEMENT

Some fairly significant rule changes proposed by NCAA committee

Poke_Dawg

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 3, 2005
These should encourage more aggressive wrestling. Really like the riding time rule. Biggest three changes are:

3 points for a takedown
No riding time point without a turn
3-point nearfall to go along with 2-point and 4-point

Reactions: CowboyMedic
Does this get rid of the bow and arrow?

— "The current mandatory five-second count for waist and ankle rides would include all situations in which the top wrestler grasps the bottom wrestler’s ankle. "
Also would this new rule pertain to trapping the ankle in the bend of your knee while riding?

I have always thought the 4-point nearfall should require the potential for a pin regardless of time held; no cheap tilts.

This hidden gem may be the best of the bunch

—" Video review would provide the referee with the authority to confirm or overturn all calls or missed calls during a video review challenged sequence rather a single move. "

—" Video review would provide the referee with the authority to confirm or overturn all calls or missed calls during a video review challenged sequence rather a single move. "
Then add about another 5 min to the already 5 min it takes them to review one single move.

I would hope that they give the refs some freedom to also determine how the missed call can effect the score and not automatically go back to the point of the missed call and start rewrestling. Many times in a scramble the ref can miss the takedown and therefore the subsequent escape. Now instead of it being 2-1 after the review, it is 2-0 and the guy is starting on bottom.

Great but also limit the review to one minute.

Reactions: Okie_Pat
I think the new changes will help wrestling and force guys to open up their offense. Should make for some exciting endings to matches .

Reactions: osu2082
I like all of the other rules, but I think after things settle in, the 3 point takedown will at best have no real impact on increasing offensive wrestling, and may even disincentive it even more.

Looking at high level wrestling over the recent past (espcieally at the AA contender level), almost everyone is fantastic at defending takedowns and then initiating counter-offense.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if something like what you often see in high level Greco happens, where wrestlers are just fighting for positions where they can apply pressure and appear to be advancing the action, but really trying to get into the most advantageous forward defensive posture and waiting for the other guy to f-up.

I like all of the other rules, but I think after things settle in, the 3 point takedown will at best have no real impact on increasing offensive wrestling, and may even disincentive it even more.

Looking at high level wrestling over the recent past (espcieally at the AA contender level), almost everyone is fantastic at defending takedowns and then initiating counter-offense.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if something like what you often see in high level Greco happens, where wrestlers are just fighting for positions where they can apply pressure and appear to be advancing the action, but really trying to get into the most advantageous forward defensive posture and waiting for the other guy to f-up.
What would be interesting is 3 for an offensive takedown- for the wrestler that initiates the shot/ attempt and 2 for a counter takedown. I realize this could be subjective and subject to disagreement, and maybe create pseudo shots/ attempts, but could reward being more offensive rather than counter wrestling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT