ADVERTISEMENT

Rule changes

alex1fly

2nd Team
Feb 5, 2020
Still digesting what this means.

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel on Thursday approved making all takedowns in wrestling worth 3 points, effective with the 2023-24 season.

Members of the Wrestling Rules Committee, which proposed the change, agreed that increasing the scoring for takedowns by an additional point will enhance the sport by rewarding offensive actions and risk-taking.

The committee also agreed there was a need to create a more appropriate point differential between takedowns and escapes and incentivize offense when competitors are in the neutral position.

Eliminating the hand-touch takedown also was approved by the panel. Rules committee members think demonstrating control is an important component of college wrestling, so it made sense to eliminate the hand-touch takedown in favor of a single requirement for all takedowns.

To help balance the new takedown scoring rule, there also are new requirements for the top wrestler to work toward a near fall or pin. A 3-point near-fall scoring component was added.

Previously, officials could award 2 or 4 points for near falls. The rationale for the rule change includes giving wrestlers a chance to be more creative in attempting to earn points.

Video review

Panel members also approved a change to the coach's video review request.

The rule change provides the referee with the authority to confirm or overturn all calls or missed calls during a video review challenged sequence. For coach's challenges, the sequence is described as the time from the alleged error until the match is, or should have been, stopped by the referee.

Other rule changes

• The first medical forfeit of a tournament will count as a loss on the wrestler's record. An exception will be if the medical forfeit occurs immediately after an injury default in a tournament.
  • The penalty for a delayed coach's video review challenge request will be changed to a loss of the video review. Previously, it was a control-of-mat violation and 1-point deduction from the team total.
  • Any true placement matches conducted in an event will not alter the final team score.
  • Officials can let action continue after penalizing an illegal hold and not require a stoppage after imminent scoring finishes when the safety of wrestlers is not in danger.
  • The current mandatory five-second count for the waist and ankle ride will be expanded to include all situations in which the top wrestler grasps the bottom wrestler's ankle.
  • Weigh-in times across all competition types will be standardized to two hours or sooner before the start of competition. Previously, tournament weigh-ins were two hours or sooner, but dual meet weigh-ins were permitted only one hour or sooner before the start of competition.
  • Weight certification for all schools will be permitted to start Sept. 1.
The rule limiting facial hair to no longer than half an inch has been eliminated.

Only rule I don't like is the 3pt takedown which is obviously the biggest change. I know its supposed to promote more action, but it just seems a bit too much.

Here's my initial reaction

3 point takedown - okay, incentivize takedowns. Does seem crazy that one wrestler can get three takedowns and only be up by two points. This will broaden the gap.
Hand-touch takedown elimination - sounds good. Some of these TDs felt like TDs only on a technicality. You should have to establish control to get a takedown and this rule change addresses that.
Work towards nearfall - this is already a rule so how they enforce it will determine if its effective. Maybe if you can't progress on a nearfall then you should be given a stalling warning or have to let your opponent up
3 point nearfall - sure why not
Video review - don't quite understand it
Medical forfeit - seems to address guys ducking matches. Though, if they're already faking medical forfeits will people just fake injury default to skip a match w/o taking a loss?
Illegal holds - makes sense. If locked hands happened and no one is in danger then don't stop the wrestling.
Waist/ankle ride - great.

Reactions: DPJ

3 point takedown - okay, incentivize takedowns. Does seem crazy that one wrestler can get three takedowns and only be up by two points. This will broaden the gap.
Hand-touch takedown elimination - sounds good. Some of these TDs felt like TDs only on a technicality. You should have to establish control to get a takedown and this rule change addresses that.
Work towards nearfall - this is already a rule so how they enforce it will determine if its effective. Maybe if you can't progress on a nearfall then you should be given a stalling warning or have to let your opponent up
3 point nearfall - sure why not
Video review - don't quite understand it
Medical forfeit - seems to address guys ducking matches. Though, if they're already faking medical forfeits will people just fake injury default to skip a match w/o taking a loss?
Illegal holds - makes sense. If locked hands happened and no one is in danger then don't stop the wrestling.
Waist/ankle ride - great.
Injury default is during the match and you take the L. So that won’t be an issue with the medical fft I believe.

I've been a proponent of the 3 point takedown for several years. I like the ankle/leg changes.
Now my pet peeves, get refs who can do their job without replay. I can't stand the refs who seem to be standing at the edge of the mat smoking a cigarette and drinking a beer when a wrestler turns an opponent. The ref is finishing his beer when he says "oh, shit" and jumps to the mat and swipes a one count when there could have been a 3or 4 count called if the ref had been on his toes.

Reactions: vhsalum
Only rule I don't like is the 3pt takedown which is obviously the biggest change. I know its supposed to promote more action, but it just seems a bit too much.
I honestly kinda like it. I’ve seen matches where one guy got multiple takedowns and ended up losing nor getting tied because his opponent got a TD in the 3rd period and it was kind of annoying.

Reactions: bwel9339

it hasn't been a rule that you have to work towards nearfall. Only if the offensive wrestler does not agressively attempt to break down the opponent.

But you are correct, it depends on enforcement. I think officials have a hard time identifying stalling on top. Hopefully some good guidance will come out with the rule.

I snipped a pic of the rulebook, but cant figure out how to post.

Injury default is during the match and you take the L. So that won’t be an issue with the medical fft I believe.
Thanks for clarifying. So this change should reduce ducking.
I honestly kinda like it. I’ve seen matches where one guy got multiple takedowns and ended up losing nor getting tied because his opponent got a TD in the 3rd period and it was kind of annoying.
Exactly. I bet we'll see more technical falls via catch-and-release with this change.
it hasn't been a rule that you have to work towards nearfall. Only if the offensive wrestler does not agressively attempt to break down the opponent.
I always figured in the spirit of the sport you had to try to turn your opponent. It's certainly more exciting as a fan to watch turns than continual breakdowns.

I always figured in the spirit of the sport you had to try to turn your opponent. It's certainly more exciting as a fan to watch turns than continual breakdowns.
hopefully this change will make things better. Still has to be called on top, and i think there will be some adjustment period for the officials. Maybe some good guidance will be sent out. Maybe some videos of Chuck Yagla working an OSU match

• Haha
Reactions: turfpoke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT