ADVERTISEMENT

Walsh Ironman 2022

Voinovich lost 6 to 4 to Mac Church. Church seems to be a jerk but Voinovich got taken down in the 1st and rode out.
What a horrible ref in Lockett's match where he lost to Henkel 2 to 1 in overtime. Lockett was called for 3 false starts for 1 penalty and then wasn't on the starting line in overtime and the ref ended the match. But Lockett wrestled foolish and didn't get a takedown. With a 1 to 0 lead in the 3rd you can't jump the whistle in neutral when you have had two cautions already. But that ref to end the match on such a horrible call is terrible.

Last edited:
What a horrible ref in Lockett's match where he lost to Henkel 2 to 1 in overtime. Lockett was called for 3 false starts for 1 penalty and then wasn't on the starting line in overtime and the ref ended the match. But Lockett wrestled foolish and didn't get a takedown. With a 1 to 0 lead in the 3rd you can't jump the whistle in neutral when you have had to cautions already. But that ref to end the match on such a horrible call is terrible.
One of the weakest calls I have ever seen. Just embarrassing. That ref shouldn't show his face on a wrestling mat again.

What a horrible ref in Lockett's match where he lost to Henkel 2 to 1 in overtime. Lockett was called for 3 false starts for 1 penalty and then wasn't on the starting line in overtime and the ref ended the match. But Lockett wrestled foolish and didn't get a takedown. With a 1 to 0 lead in the 3rd you can't jump the whistle in neutral when you have had two cautions already. But that ref to end the match on such a horrible call is terrible.
Angelo wins 3 to 0 to get to the finals.

Lockett got majorly screwed with that OT call. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like that.

Angelo wins 3 to 0 to get to the finals.
Thompson gets the takedown with 30 seconds left when the match was tied 1 to 1 to win 3 to 2. Close match but Thompson is the real good wrestler who finds the way to win close matches. Also Heeg was the bigger wrestler. A level increase by Heeg and he could become a real good wrestler. I hope that it happens.

Reactions: DPJ
Thompson gets the takedown with 30 seconds left when the match was tied 1 to 1 to win 3 to 2. Close match but Thompson is the real good wrestler who finds the way to win close matches. Also Heeg was the bigger wrestler. A level increase by Heeg and he could become a real good wrestler. I hope that it happens.
Jersey Robb blew a win with 15 seconds left by giving up the takedown to lose by a point. Why do you not circle when the whistle is blown . This happened at Fargo I believe where Jersey finds a way to lose at the end of a big match he has won if he doesn't freeze. Horrible finish for Stillwater in the semi's, with Voinovich, Lockett, Heeg and Robb losing close gut wrenching matches. Cael Hughes and Beric Jordan pulled out wins and get a chance to really get big wins in the finals. By the way I was pulling a bit for Thompson over Heeg because he appears to be our real good chance to be a National Champ.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toadvine
One of the weakest calls I have ever seen. Just embarrassing. That ref shouldn't show his face on a wrestling mat again.

Heeg looks better every time I watch him wrestle, glad he changed his mind and flipped to the good guys

Jersey Robb blew a win with 15 seconds left by giving up the takedown to lose by a point. Why do you not circle when the whistle is blown . This happened at Fargo I believe where Jersey finds a way to lose at the end of a big match he has won if he doesn't freeze. Horrible finish for Stillwater in the semi's, with Voinovich, Lockett, Heeg and Robb losing close gut wrenching matches. Cael Hughes and Beric Jordan pulled out wins and get a chance to really get big wins in the finals. By the way I was pulling a bit for Thompson over Heeg because he appears to be our real good chance to be a National Champ.

Horrible is a little strong. All high level wrestlers fighting their tails off against other high level wrestlers. All showed really good this tournament in the grand scheme of things.

Jersey has been in a wrestling room for about 4 days heading into this tournament.

Reactions: bwel9339
Giddens went 6-2 and finished 7th. Nice tourney for him.

Richard Thomas will be on the podium for Edmond North at heavy. He had a super close consi semi with Ferrell from VA. Anyone know anything about Thomas? Are we recruiting him?

Horrible is a little strong. All high level wrestlers fighting their tails off against other high level wrestlers. All showed really good this tournament in the grand scheme of things.

Jersey has been in a wrestling room for about 4 days heading into this tournament.
Your right horrible is overstating but not a good finish at all. I am really focused on standout find a way to win the tough matches. If we don't get these guys we will not ever win 35.

Your right horrible is overstating but not a good finish at all. I am really focused on standout find a way to win the tough matches. If we don't get these guys we will not ever win 35.
Lockett, Robb and Heeg won in the consolation semi's and so will wrestle for 3rd. Voinovich lost and so he will wrestle for 5th.

I don’t think these Ironman results should determine our future.
I would think if you did a study you would find out Ironman Champions do better at the NCAA Championships than the 4th place finishers. Now if we were great at developing top 50 wrestlers into National Champs or high All Americans you possibly could be right.

Reactions: okcpokefan12
I would think if you did a study you would find out Ironman Champions do better at the NCAA Championships than the 4th place finishers. Now if we were great at developing top 50 wrestlers into National Champs or high All Americans you possibly could be right.
Hughes beat number 1 Lemley 5 to 2 with a reversal and 3 back points in the second period. Almost pinned Lemley. Great win.

Last edited:
Angelo Ferrari wins 3 to 1 to take first.
I watched the Thompson match and he won again 3 to 2 with a slick 3rd period takedown. The mat announcers said Thompson weighed in at 183 today when you could weigh 193. Breyden's opponent was clearly bigger than him. Thompson finds a way to win. I heard from the announcer that Heeg got pinned and took 4th place. I just watched the match and Heeg got the takedown, got reversed, stood up to escape and turned in and got body locked and slammed to his back and pinned.

Last edited:
I watched the Thompson match and he won again 3 to 2 with a slick 3rd period takedown. The mat announcers said Thompson weighed in at 183 today when you could weigh 193. Breyden's opponent was clearly bigger than him. Thompson finds a way to win. I heard from the announcer that Heeg got pinned and took 4th place. I just watched the match and Heeg got the takedown, got reversed, stood up to escape and turned in and got body locked and slammed to his back and pinned.
The 215 3rd place match was forfeited and since I did not see Jersey Robb being injured I assume his opponent forfeited but I am not certain of that.

The 215 3rd place match was forfeited and since I did not see Jersey Robb being injured I assume his opponent forfeited but I am not certain of that.
Bassett beat Beric Jordan 9 to 0. Bassett is number 1 Nationally at 133. Jordan is good on his feet but Bassett was a little bit better with 2 takedowns which meant Jordan was on bottom which is not good for him since he got turned at least once and ground the rest of the time he was on bottom.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the flex/scream, but there is some history there. AJ & Anthony were both expelled from Blair and Antonelli was the wrestling coach at the time.

That's not the only similarity either. Angelo has the same mannerisms as AJ when he gets set on top. Then he uses the same claw ride/drop to a leg technique. The big difference I see is that AJ has a double and single in neutral while Angelo uses an underhook throw-by.

Does AJ have 3 years of college eligibility left? By the time his case is decided he may team up with little brother and go to the same school.

Not a fan of the flex/scream, but there is some history there. AJ & Anthony were both expelled from Blair and Antonelli was the wrestling coach at the time.

That's not the only similarity either. Angelo has the same mannerisms as AJ when he gets set on top. Then he uses the same claw ride/drop to a leg technique. The big difference I see is that AJ has a double and single in neutral while Angelo uses an underhook throw-by.
Which is just more reason not to do it. Why would any kid flex at the opposing team coaches or fans, but even more so when there's history and it wasn't even his history it was the older brothers and family history? Hence why one should look at who was in his corner. My recollection was AJ flexed at his own fans after a match, Angelo is heading down a bad path, also look at why he left Stillwater.

Reactions: JAY45
Which is just more reason not to do it. Why would any kid flex at the opposing team coaches or fans, but even more so when there's history and it wasn't even his history it was the older brothers and family history? Hence why one should look at who was in his corner. My recollection was AJ flexed at his own fans after a match, Angelo is heading down a bad path, also look at why he left Stillwater.
AJ started doing the flex thing at home, but I remember he flexed on the opposing fans during at least 1 road dual. Angelo flexed on Brian Picklo twice after 2 wins against Mustang. Picklo & Mustang had worn t-shirts knocking Stillwater. Again, not a fan, but it seems to fuel him.

Reactions: driad
AJ started doing the flex thing at home, but I remember he flexed on the opposing fans during at least 1 road dual. Angelo flexed on Brian Picklo twice after 2 wins against Mustang. Picklo & Mustang had worn t-shirts knocking Stillwater. Again, not a fan, but it seems to fuel him.
If Angelo (& family) wanted to make a statement against Blair he should have stayed in Stillwater as they couldve beat Blair in team competition. That would've made a statement!

Reactions: JAY45
Very impressed by Beric. That first period looked like Hearns/Hagler. Beric matched Bassett's pace in neutral and was the one getting to legs. Bassett is better in the scrambles and on top, but Beric will improve there.
Looks to me like we could have 3 real good wrestlers in this class Carroll, Thompson and Hughes if they continue to develop. Heeg, Robb and Jordan are good wrestlers coming in. Right now on the roster we have 2 real good wrestlers ( sad) Daton and Dustin. Daton will be gone before we can possibly win a title. Our 2022 class was weak with only Jordan Williams possibly a real good wrestler and that looks questionable with how he has wrestled this year so far. 2021 class might now have 0 real good wrestlers at this time which is disappointing but the norm for us. I hope Voinovich, Travis Mastro Young and Haas jump levels but time will tell. 2024 class we need to follow with a great class or forget about number 35 for a while. 2020 was unbelievably disappointing with 1 real good wrestler and that is still in question. Mastro, Surber, Doucette don't look like they will ever be special unless they jump a level or 2. We should have better development of wrestlers ( RTC). Coach Smith can't see his way is not working or if he doesn't like a task he doesn't do it. The 2023 class looks good, hopefully a disaster doesn't occur again and we get at least 1 super recruit in 2024.

It would be nice to have wrestlers who can pull out the big match versus guys who find a way to lose big matches. So far our performance would have to be described as horrible after 149. Here is what is really sad we aren't even wrestling highly ranked wrestlers in the last 2 matches.

Seems like we should have done some research here.

It would be nice to have wrestlers who can pull out the big match versus guys who find a way to lose big matches. So far our performance would have to be described as horrible after 149. Here is what is really sad we aren't even wrestling highly ranked wrestlers in the last 2 matches.
Hey now. Give a little credit. We're good at losing small matches too!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT