ADVERTISEMENT

All These PSU Fans On Your Message Board Are…

All these PSU fans on your message board are…

• Total voters
It’s been great. I almost started a thread the other day about the similarities between OK & PA bc it’s been funny reading PA folks comments on our state.

Take away Philadelphia and MAYBE Pittsburgh and it’s the same damn state! 😊

Two DT stories:

1) My oldest child attends PSU. At freshman orientation, she was at Rec Hall listening to a guy speak. She texted me “Have you ever heard of David Taylor? I think they said he’s a wrestler”.

2) I was at Final X in Newark last year with my 12 year old son. As Brooks was losing to DT, my son started screaming for Brooks and I had to explain to him that we like DT too. (He doesn’t wrestle, but knows Brooks well from the matches we go to. He didn’t know DT. :))

Pittsburgh, maybe. Philly, you can have it 😊
I'm a Western PA boy through and through but if I had no other options to live the rest of my life out other than the Pittsburgh city limits or anywhere in Oklahoma, I'd be asking DT if I could hitch a ride. Lol

Reactions: AtownPoke
I'm a Western PA boy through and through but if I had no other options to live the rest of my life out other than the Pittsburgh city limits or anywhere in Oklahoma, I'd be asking DT if I could hitch a ride. Lol
After growing up in central OK, living in Stillwater 4 years and then western PA 6 years, there are similarities between central PA and OK. People from central PA and western PA don't leave or leave and come back. People from OK just don't leave, but those that do often don't come back. These are generalizations of course, but loyal to their area, pretty conservative (central PA more so than western PA) and generally good people. I will say OK did not have anything nearly as bad was Iron City beer when I lived there🤣.

After growing up in central OK, living in Stillwater 4 years and then western PA 6 years, there are similarities between central PA and OK. People from central PA and western PA don't leave or leave and come back. People from OK just don't leave, but those that do often don't come back. These are generalizations of course, but loyal to their area, pretty conservative (central PA more so than western PA) and generally good people. I will say OK did not have anything nearly as bad was Iron City beer when I lived there🤣.
Are you in North Carolina now? I gather that from your name.

I wish the NC was for National Champion, but yes - North Carolina. I qualify as someone from OK that left and didn't go back.
I also qualify as someone from OK that left and didn’t go back. I think your statement is very true. I miss a lot of things about OK, but I also know I won’t ever live there again. Finally back within driving distance though (DFW) and have had wrestling tix since I left that I’m finally using again. Just in time haha.

This has always been a pretty welcoming board. I'm an ISU fan by nature and choice, but have band wagoned PSU since the day Cael broke our hearts in Ames. I have been to Stillwater many times and love the town. I came down this past season to watch UNI vs OSU on a Friday night and ISU vs OSU on Saturday. I love going to Eskimo Joes and splashing down some brew and hanging out with the Poke fans and occasionally running into OSU wrestling legends in the process. Great wrestling town!

The PSU board is acting somewhat like the Iowa board did when Cael left Ames. Dismissive would be the correct term imo. I believe it would be very tough to topple PSU as a whole over the next 5-10 years, but I will be surprised if DT doesn't elevate OSU to the clear number 2 program over the next 3-5 years. I am somewhat excited to watch it unfold, yet it leaves me worried it will halt the recent ISU momentum. Recruiting in Illinois,Iowa,Nebraska,Kansas, and even Askren guys out of Wisky will be tougher for everyone else now. Oklahoma has been locked down pretty well, so that won't be a big change. Times are a changing and the wind is blowing in your direction. I'm going to come to a few more duals down there moving forward. Love me a Whataburger even if we lose.

This has always been a pretty welcoming board. I'm an ISU fan by nature and choice, but have band wagoned PSU since the day Cael broke our hearts in Ames. I have been to Stillwater many times and love the town. I came down this past season to watch UNI vs OSU on a Friday night and ISU vs OSU on Saturday. I love going to Eskimo Joes and splashing down some brew and hanging out with the Poke fans and occasionally running into OSU wrestling legends in the process. Great wrestling town!

The PSU board is acting somewhat like the Iowa board did when Cael left Ames. Dismissive would be the correct term imo. I believe it would be very tough to topple PSU as a whole over the next 5-10 years, but I will be surprised if DT doesn't elevate OSU to the clear number 2 program over the next 3-5 years. I am somewhat excited to watch it unfold, yet it leaves me worried it will halt the recent ISU momentum. Recruiting in Illinois,Iowa,Nebraska,Kansas, and even Askren guys out of Wisky will be tougher for everyone else now. Oklahoma has been locked down pretty well, so that won't be a big change. Times are a changing and the wind is blowing in your direction. I'm going to come to a few more duals down there moving forward. Love me a Whataburger even if we lose.

appreciate your post

I don’t think clear number 2 is the target or we would have hired the clear number 2 candidate

the competitive advantage held by penn st that morphed into dominance the last decade is no longer

we are the bluest of the blue blood in college wrestling

penn st is new money

I wish the NC was for National Champion, but yes - North Carolina. I qualify as someone from OK that left and didn't go back.
Ok cool. Was born in Winston Salem N.C. Parents divorced when I was 2 and mom moved me to Johnstown PA area where she was born and raised. Back in 90s there wasn't much work so I did move back to NC for a job there. Now back in PA but I like NC.

appreciate your post

I don’t think clear number 2 is the target or we would have hired the clear number 2 candidate

the competitive advantage held by penn st that morphed into dominance the last decade is no longer

we are the bluest of the blue blood in college wrestling

penn st is new money
I have nothing but respect and admiration for OSU wrestling (and as a former Cyclone) understand how blue the blood runs down there lol. The recruiting will keep up for certain, but being the clear number 2 would be a huge jump for OSU wrestling. OSU is the all time clear number one, but in the century it has not been. It is pretty easy to look at team placement from the NCAA Tournament for the past 20 years and come to the conclusion that there are a few teams ahead of OSU in addition to PSU. I expect in short order there will no other teams between PSU and OSU. I do think the winning percentage at Nationals (semi finals being most striking) that Cael has managed to unleash will make that program hard to topple consistently. Time will tell. I'm certainly not against it becoming really interesting.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for OSU wrestling (and as a former Cyclone) understand how blue the blood runs down there lol. The recruiting will keep up for certain, but being the clear number 2 would be a huge jump for OSU wrestling. OSU is the all time clear number one, but in the century it has not been. It is pretty easy to look at team placement from the NCAA Tournament for the past 20 years and come to the conclusion that there are a few teams ahead of OSU in addition to PSU. I expect in short order there will no other teams between PSU and OSU. I do think the winning percentage at Nationals (semi finals being most striking) that Cael has managed to unleash will make that program hard to topple consistently. Time will tell. I'm certainly not against it becoming really interesting.
Yeah but it’s not that far off though imo. Iowa has 5 NCs and we have 4. They were runner up 4 times and we were twice. Nothing below that matters anyway. 3rd to 30 are all the same when the standard is winning. You didn’t matter.

THe OK State board before this week was dead. There would be days with zero posts. The PSU board always has something going on! And they have done nothing but add value to this board and have been nothing but happy for DT getting the job!
There have been times over the past few years where you’d go several weeks if not months without a new post.

THe OK State board before this week was dead. There would be days with zero posts. The PSU board always has something going on! And they have done nothing but add value to this board and have been nothing but happy for DT getting the job!
Don’t get touchy.

I agree about this board being dead. It was actually painful to come over here when things weren’t going right.

As far as the health of yalls board… its apples and oranges. Yalls board better be huge. Its the best thing going at PSU.

i don’t disagree with your evidence based post

but look at the competitive advantage penn st enjoyed and the circumstances oklahoma state wrestling found itself in

the reason kerkvliet backed out on his commit is no longer

ok st has the resources to load up its RTC and its lineup

hughes carrol plott hamiti fish add hendrickson alirez and your looking for 2 this year

add forrest lockett maybe bassett and things change from clear 2 to knocking on the natty door in a hurry

Thanks for the post. I agree with the forecast over the next 5-10 yrs and if we are wrong, then we are wrong. ISU is rolling right now and only will get better. Big 12 should battle Big 10 every year for most dominance. It’s good to have you here

Reactions: bwel9339
I voted for welcome. The PSU fans that have posted here have been awesome, but man…don’t go to the PSU board. They are TOTALLY dismissive of our program.
I have a poll on the PSU board asking how well DT will do at OkSt. The overwhelming response is that you’ll be our biggest rival going forward, even though folks don’t think you’ll equal or exceed PSU.

Reactions: cearle462
I have a poll on the PSU board asking how well DT will do at OkSt. The overwhelming response is that you’ll be our biggest rival going forward, even though folks don’t think you’ll equal or exceed PSU.

Just a thought; and I GREATLY enjoy and welcome the crossover banter, etc. Oklahoma State has their share of blind spots. It seems the biggest blind spot for Penn State Fans right now, and understandable so, is that Cael and Penn State won't be on top forever. If that were the case, you would never have another dynasty outside of OAMC/Oklahoma State as they have been the most dominant program in the history of any sport over time.

It won't be any time soon; Cael will eventually be like John, and things will change.

OSU; like Penn State, if not more so, has the ability to bounce back immediately.

To me, this looks like the formation of Alabama and Georgia in Football. Two Heavyweights about to clash.

This is a dispersion of talent, wisdom, philosophy, etc. which has been concentrated in State College; which is likely great for the sport as a whole. I'm sure its been a blast being utterly dominant. I can remember being bored at Big 12 Tournaments (Father forgive me) with Cowboys in all 10 matches and no real drama.

One of the the things that the rest of us Non-B1G wrestling schools have had to reckon with is this: We ALL have to be in support of the overall HEALTH of the Sport. From Appalachian State to Cal Baptist, we all have to be concerned and root for the schools and programs that are making the effort. We both want to be dominant and have concern for the health of the sport without everyone else getting discouraged. At the top; its been discouraging as there is no drama, mystery, rivalry, etc. Throughout, the health seems good...biggest impacts and factors are NIL & Transfer Portal.

Kind of a random tangent, I know...and of course this is easy to say from where I sit...all that said, this is an overall GOOD thing for the sport.

Yeah but it’s not that far off though imo. Iowa has 5 NCs and we have 4. They were runner up 4 times and we were twice. Nothing below that matters anyway. 3rd to 30 are all the same when the standard is winning. You didn’t matter.
This century is 2001-2024 (works out better for us than last 20 years: OHState - 1, Minn - 3, OKState - 4, Iowa - 4 and PSU - 11

Just a thought; and I GREATLY enjoy and welcome the crossover banter, etc. Oklahoma State has their share of blind spots. It seems the biggest blind spot for Penn State Fans right now, and understandable so, is that Cael and Penn State won't be on top forever. If that were the case, you would never have another dynasty outside of OAMC/Oklahoma State as they have been the most dominant program in the history of any sport over time.

It won't be any time soon; Cael will eventually be like John, and things will change.
I think we know it will come back to earth at some point, but Cael hasn’t given us any reason to believe that is happening anytime soon. This is the first threat / test though, so we will see.

Reactions: NCPsuFan

OSU; like Penn State, if not more so, has the ability to bounce back immediately.

To me, this looks like the formation of Alabama and Georgia in Football. Two Heavyweights about to clash.

This is a dispersion of talent, wisdom, philosophy, etc. which has been concentrated in State College; which is likely great for the sport as a whole. I'm sure its been a blast being utterly dominant. I can remember being bored at Big 12 Tournaments (Father forgive me) with Cowboys in all 10 matches and no real drama.

One of the the things that the rest of us Non-B1G wrestling schools have had to reckon with is this: We ALL have to be in support of the overall HEALTH of the Sport. From Appalachian State to Cal Baptist, we all have to be concerned and root for the schools and programs that are making the effort. We both want to be dominant and have concern for the health of the sport without everyone else getting discouraged. At the top; its been discouraging as there is no drama, mystery, rivalry, etc. Throughout, the health seems good...biggest impacts and factors are NIL & Transfer Portal.

Kind of a random tangent, I know...and of course this is easy to say from where I sit...all that said, this is an overall GOOD thing for the sport.
Look at viewership of the NCAAS, where it’s somewhat promising for the health of the sport in popularity. It’s shown parody is needed.

The entire tournament viewership has increased the last several years. The finals views have decreased in viewership.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the just leave it on ESPN+ and take us out of the prime spot because of these numbers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT