ADVERTISEMENT

Reno TOC

In

In the finals Blaylock loses to Fox 6 to 3 at 57. Rogers wins by 1st period pin. That was lousy they did not have Jacobi and Joe wrestle in the finals so probably co-champions or 1 forfeited to the other.
Geer wins by a point he did not look good against Wyoming and White wins at HWT 9 to 3, he looked good. Montalvo lost and took 4th. He needs to get stronger and finish his takedowns.

I have felt this all year that Kaid at 141 is not as quick and slick as he has been in the past. It looks to me like Kaden is a better answer at 141 if Boo goes to 49. Also Wittlake for some reason does not seem to be the wrestler I first thought he was when we got him to switch from Penn. St. We have not had good look getting commitment from Penn. St. to come to us. I remember thinking he would be our next Dieringer and posted that. It is still possible but he is struggling this past summer and this year.

Whitlake has been VERY good so far his RS season. Hard to come to that conclusion by one loss.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Whitlake has been VERY good so far his RS season. Hard to come to that conclusion by one loss.
Two losses today and they were not rated wrestlers. He lost in his first consolation match also. Plus I did not say to give up on him but he was rated as the number 2 prospect in that whole class and he has dropped significantly. His offense really was not there in either of his losses.

Not that strong of competition but we had no control of several teams not coming or not sending their best. With the exception of one match we did everything expected of a #3 team. Joe looked big enough for 174, I don’t know if the plan is to leave him there and Jacobi go up or what. Cowboys dominated as expected.

Reactions: osu2082
I was thinking loser bumped to 184... too bad
The results of the 174 finals would have had no bearing on where they will wrestle. Joe is going to go to 165 regardless and Chandler to 174. I do not think there is any scenario where Joe would not defeat Jacobe. Jacobe is strong enough to handle 184 but it is a shame he has to bump up from his natural weight at 174. Joe looked fit and trim but it will take him a few weeks to get to 165 and if he weighed in at 173.6 his weight loss is mandated by the NCAA at a certain percentage per week.

The results of the 174 finals would have had no bearing on where they will wrestle. Joe is going to go to 165 regardless and Chandler to 174. I do not think there is any scenario where Joe would not defeat Jacobe. Jacobe is strong enough to handle 184 but it is a shame he has to bump up from his natural weight at 174. Joe looked fit and trim but it will take him a few weeks to get to 165 and if he weighed in at 173.6 his weight loss is mandated by the NCAA at a certain percentage per week.

Obe, are you saying Joe would win or Jacobe?

I have felt this all year that Kaid at 141 is not as quick and slick as he has been in the past. It looks to me like Kaden is a better answer at 141 if Boo goes to 49. Also Wittlake for some reason does not seem to be the wrestler I first thought he was when we got him to switch from Penn. St. We have not had good look getting commitment from Penn. St. to come to us. I remember thinking he would be our next Dieringer and posted that. It is still possible but he is struggling this past summer and this year.

While being the next Dieringer is a pretty tall task for just about anyone, let's not forget the kid is a true freshman. Dieringer lost to a D2 kid Dec. of his redshirt year.

Probably in the minority on this, but after watching Reno I think the best weights for Chandler, Jacobe & Dakota are 165, 174, & 184. I'd leave them there and put Marsden at 197.

I like Joe and I think he sometimes gets a bad rap on here. That said, I think he should have to earn his spot like everyone else. If he wants 165, he should have wrestled 165 at Reno and out placed Chandler. Or weighed in around 168 so he could make 165 at the Scuffle and then out place him there. Same with Chandler, if he wants 174 then out place Jacobe at the Scuffle.

Reactions: okcpokefan12
Good to see Joe Smith wrestling period. He moved well in his matches too. Just curious, who do you guys think would win Jacobe or Joe if they were to wrestle?

There were many times when I was not impressed with Dean during his sophomore, junior and senior years :).
I hope that Wittlake improves and becomes 1 of the greats but I wish I would have seen more from him in this tournament. I disagree with this being a very good year for him. I bet if you asked Wittlake he would not feel good about his last 6 months of wrestling. Against a solid division 1 wrestler he has a hard time scoring especially on his feet. I don't think he has beaten really anyone this year. Yes he could jump a level by the end of this year and show he is going to be special but I have not seen that yet. I think Heil lost 1 match in his sophomore and junior years and was wrestling ranked wrestlers almost all of the time. He was a winner. His senior year I don't know what happened but I am sure I started expressing concerns early that year. Heil's freshman year we had him cut to 33 and he was a poor wrestler, he finally moved to 41 and slowly got better and peaked at Nationals where he took 4th. Yes my expectations for Travis are high but was that not the reason why we got so excited with his changing his commitment to us. I hope I become excited about his wrestling in the future.

Probably in the minority on this, but after watching Reno I think the best weights for Chandler, Jacobe & Dakota are 165, 174, & 184. I'd leave them there and put Marsden at 197.

I like Joe and I think he sometimes gets a bad rap on here. That said, I think he should have to earn his spot like everyone else. If he wants 165, he should have wrestled 165 at Reno and out placed Chandler. Or weighed in around 168 so he could make 165 at the Scuffle and then out place him there. Same with Chandler, if he wants 174 then out place Jacobe at the Scuffle.

Curious what make you think Joe wants 65 or Chandler wants 74 and would it matter if they did? Based on John's interview after, I dont think that's how they make decisions. Also see little evidence Marsden will help the team at 97.

I hope that Wittlake improves and becomes 1 of the greats but I wish I would have seen more from him in this tournament. I disagree with this being a very good year for him. I bet if you asked Wittlake he would not feel good about his last 6 months of wrestling. Against a solid division 1 wrestler he has a hard time scoring especially on his feet. I don't think he has beaten really anyone this year. Yes he could jump a level by the end of this year and show he is going to be special but I have not seen that yet. I think Heil lost 1 match in his sophomore and junior years and was wrestling ranked wrestlers almost all of the time. He was a winner. His senior year I don't know what happened but I am sure I started expressing concerns early that year. Heil's freshman year we had him cut to 33 and he was a poor wrestler, he finally moved to 41 and slowly got better and peaked at Nationals where he took 4th. Yes my expectations for Travis are high but was that not the reason why we got so excited with his changing his commitment to us. I hope I become excited about his wrestling in the future.

I agree. I think it's fair to point out Wittlake's results post HS. Took some losses at the Junior Open and the Junior WTTs, then finished 4th at Fargo. Now he's got 2 losses so far as a true freshman. Not end of the world stuff, but not setting it on fire either.

I think he is just a guy that will need some time for it to all click. Some guys are like Daton/Yianni/Lee and some are like Seth Gross. The work ethic and skills are there, just needs more strength and more confidence IMO. Also think he's another guy that should probably be down a weight in college - 165 for him and 174 for Montalvo.

Last edited:

I tuned in as well. My general wrestling fans opinion is in agreement. Rogers has looked good at 165. Joe looked good and plenty big at 174 yesterday. Jacobe looked very good as well (as he has all year). Given the issues with Joe and weight cutting in the past and given he was not a small 174 yesterday and had great energy IMO keep Rogers at 165, Joe at 174 and Jacobe looks to be the best person to man 184. Geer at 197 of course.

Reactions: Wrassler17
I would agree with this. To me, there's no chance jojo gets to 165.... leave chandler there as he is best suited for that weight

I tuned in as well. My general wrestling fans opinion is in agreement. Rogers has looked good at 165. Joe looked good and plenty big at 174 yesterday. Jacobe looked very good as well (as he has all year). Given the issues with Joe and weight cutting in the past and given he was not a small 174 yesterday and had great energy IMO keep Rogers at 165, Joe at 174 and Jacobe looks to be the best person to man 184. Geer at 197 of course.

Good to see Joe Smith wrestling period. He moved well in his matches too. Just curious, who do you guys think would win Jacobe or Joe if they were to wrestle?

I think Jacobe would win. That's why Obe's remark surprised me (if I understood him correctly).

I also think Jacobe would probably out place him at nationals at 174. And that's not a knock on Joe, who is really good. I just think Jacobe has looked very good this year, better than last year.

Reactions: OSUMatFan
Also Colt Newton 132 is wrestling at Reno and he has 2 pins and a 4 to 1 decision. He is in the quarters and is the 3rd seed. At the KC Stampede Carter Young is at 26 in the Gold division and Kai Orine is in his weight class and is rated 8th at 26. At 170 is Plott who won by 2 1st period pins to get into the Gold division. One of our other recruits Lindsey from Derby Kansas is also there. The 2nd seed is Fisher from Goddard Kansas who is rated 9th and going to Northwestern. I think this summer he was a tough match for Plott if my memory serves me. At 182 is Tristan Wills 1 of our recruits from Kansas who has Winston and Borror in his weight class.

Joe would miss Rutgers by 2 days but he can be 165 for WVU which would leave him 8 duals at 165

IMO Joe would win. Jacobe has all the athletic talent in the world but Joe is just more fundamentally sound.

I disagree. Jacobe is so damn strong. I think joe would struggle to finish on him.

IMO Joe would win. Jacobe has all the athletic talent in the world but Joe is just more fundamentally sound.
I agree, as long as both healthy Joe has mow options to score, better defense & scrambling, gonna take more than power. My recollection is I Marteniz did not over power him and Joe scored on him.

Also Colt Newton 132 is wrestling at Reno and he has 2 pins and a 4 to 1 decision. He is in the quarters and is the 3rd seed. At the KC Stampede Carter Young is at 26 in the Gold division and Kai Orine is in his weight class and is rated 8th at 26. At 170 is Plott who won by 2 1st period pins to get into the Gold division. One of our other recruits Lindsey from Derby Kansas is also there. The 2nd seed is Fisher from Goddard Kansas who is rated 9th and going to Northwestern. I think this summer he was a tough match for Plott if my memory serves me. At 182 is Tristan Wills 1 of our recruits from Kansas who has Winston and Borror in his weight class.
Coly Newton is in the semi's with a 3 to 2 win. He has the giant knee brace on that is thick and covers your whole leg. In the 3 to 2 match his opponent got a hold of the leg with the brace on and Newton struggled. In KC Young got beat by another Oklahoma kid Tanner and lost in the quarters. Surber and Plott had 2 1st period pins to advance to the semi"s. Lindsey lost in the quarters and Wills won a close one to advance to the semi's.

Coly Newton is in the semi's with a 3 to 2 win. He has the giant knee brace on that is thick and covers your whole leg. In the 3 to 2 match his opponent got a hold of the leg with the brace on and Newton struggled. In KC Young got beat by another Oklahoma kid Tanner and lost in the quarters. Surber and Plott had 2 1st period pins to advance to the semi"s. Lindsey lost in the quarters and Wills won a close one to advance to the semi's.
Tanner made the Reno finals at 32. Surber 152 won 12 to 2 to get to the KC finals. Plott won 3 to 0. He has a significant knee brace and was obviously not wrestling at 100%. Wills got pinned by the Missouri 182 Winston we were hoping we had a chance to get.

Tanner made the Reno finals at 32. Surber 152 won 12 to 2 to get to the KC finals. Plott won 3 to 0. He has a significant knee brace and was obviously not wrestling at 100%. Wills got pinned by the Missouri 182 Winston we were hoping we had a chance to get.

Anyone know what weight Surber projects to? He's thin, but looks to be about 6 ft.

Coach Surber thinks a big 174 for him in college
Plott tweaked his knee in the Choctaw dual.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Coach Surber thinks a big 174 for him in college
Plott tweaked his knee in the Choctaw dual.
Plott wins 3 to 1 against Fisher, there had to be3 times he had Fishers leg up near his shoulders but could not finish. I think his knee not being right caused this. Surber lost 4 to 2,

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT