ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting News?

The question is, and it was talked about, have we filled all the coaching spots? If not, will Dake come here after Olympics?
DT is HC, Kennedy Assoc HC, Gilman assis coach, Caldwell assis coach, Bryan Pearsall recruiting coord. If Dake comes I think he's head RTC coach.

Reactions: bwel9339
Reactions: bwel9339 and DPJ
Post in thread '2024-2025 Wrestling Lineup' https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/2024-2025-wrestling-lineup.285897/post-9448266

Post in thread '2024-2025 Wrestling Lineup' https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/2024-2025-wrestling-lineup.285897/post-9448784

I was browsing the cyclone board earlier and seen these posts regarding Perry
Dresser being open about a potential flip of Dee is surprising to me. I would want that under wraps until the decision is made.

Dresser being open about a potential flip of Dee is surprising to me. I would want that under wraps until the decision is made.

That ain't Dresser's style. Which, as a fan, i really appreciate.

Plus, there's nothing to be coy about. ISU, Iowa and OSU are all recruiting Lockett until he signs that NLI. It's going to be interesting to see what happens with him, because Perry and David Carr are a huge pull for him, Iowa will give the most money and OSU is home and DT is going to build something special.

Plus, there's nothing to be coy about. ISU, Iowa and OSU are all recruiting Lockett until he signs that NLI. It's going to be interesting to see what happens with him, because Perry and David Carr are a huge pull for him, Iowa will give the most money and OSU is home and DT is going to build something special.
Where you been? Vacation or prison?

Lockett can learn a lot from DT. Lockett will probably end up at the same weights that Taylor was in college and on the international scene. And if there is any truth to Dake coming to Stillwater, that is going to help Lockett even more.

As far as Perry wanting to wreak havoc in Stillwater shows the guys maturity levels. That is if the poster from ISU board even knows what they are talking about and if there is any truth to that comment. I will point out that since Perry became a coach at OK State, they did get some top recruiting classes and were very unsuccessful with those top recruits. Wrestlers rarely got any better with him as their coach. He has to own his part in that, along with the other coaches the last 8 years. So other then maybe being able to flip some recruits, which he did with Carroll, he will not be wreaking havoc long. And I wouldn't even call that wreaking havoc. Because he has nothing to do with the recruits after 2025 that have verballed to OK State. Maybe a fresh start for him is what he needed. If he wants to be a Head Coach somewhere (which I don't think it would have happened at OK State anyways) he is going to have to grow up quickly.

As far as Perry wanting to wreak havoc in Stillwater shows the guys maturity levels. That is if the poster from ISU board even knows what they are talking about and if there is any truth to that comment. I will point out that since Perry became a coach at OK State, they did get some top recruiting classes and were very unsuccessful with those top recruits. Wrestlers rarely got any better with him as their coach. He has to own his part in that, along with the other coaches the last 8 years. So other then maybe being able to flip some recruits, which he did with Carroll, he will not be wreaking havoc long. And I wouldn't even call that wreaking havoc. Because he has nothing to do with the recruits after 2025 that have verballed to OK State.
Yeah it’s not a rumor

I personally believe that DT and company will be the second best coaching staff within two years. And if I am correct about Dake as RTC coach, then CC made a huge mistake, as will any other guy leaving this program. DT is about helping guys achieve national championships, so if guys leave the program, what does that say about those guys? I know it sounds harsh, but DT and Gilman have lived the life required of a champion on multiple levels, so to walk away from that speaks volumes and not necessarily in a good way. I have no skin in this game but I hate to see mentors steer kids in the wrong direction because they have heartburn about something unrelated.

I personally believe that DT and company will be the second best coaching staff within two years. And if I am correct about Dake as RTC coach, then CC made a huge mistake, as will any other guy leaving this program. DT is about helping guys achieve national championships, so if guys leave the program, what does that say about those guys? I know it sounds harsh, but DT and Gilman have lived the life required of a champion on multiple levels, so to walk away from that speaks volumes and not necessarily in a good way. I have no skin in this game but I hate to see mentors steer kids in the wrong direction because they have heartburn about something unrelated.
Great post. Having DT and Dake to practice with is an incredible situation that PSU kids were lucky to have. They are two of the best all time. I did find it interesting that David made a trip to the OTC to train with Dake last week.

Great post. Having DT and Dake to practice with is an incredible situation that PSU kids were lucky to have. They are two of the best all time. I did find it interesting that David made a trip to the OTC to train with Dake last week.
Did he drive there in a Brinks truck and take a rental car home?

DT and Dake are best friends so I'm sure David also has a vested interest from that angle as well, but the original scuttlebutt was that Dake was coming for the RTC job post-Olympics, and the fact that it's still an open position says a lot. If that becomes FACT, then every recruit will give OSU a first and second look. Who wouldn't?

CC didn’t want those problems. He literally refused to wrestle DT in practice.

Quentin Wright was a two time champ and three time finalist, and spent 45 minutes in practice one day getting out from bottom against Matt Brown with everyone on the team watching. If you can't humble yourself in this sport, you aren't getting to the top. There are worse thing in life than not being as good as DT. My goodness.

Couple thoughts.

Iowa State is a great program that has been doing well in recent years, often better than OSU. It’s not a bad choice to go there. I do think they have a better short term prognosis (1-2 years) but OSU is poised to be a recruiting powerhouse and likely has a higher ceiling.

Perry could have been fired after the osterine fiasco. Even if Daton had never drank the stuff it was still incredibly poor judgment to recommend that an athlete’s father (and RTC coach in waiting) experiment with a banned substance. I mean give me a break. Daton didn’t get a lifetime ban from wrestling (he could have) but he did get a lifetime black mark and Perry got what, a slap on the wrist maybe? His same annual raise? I don’t remember even him giving a sincere public apology. Hard not to be a little salty about how that whole thing went down in light of Perry now supposedly being all vindictive about the coaching carousel. Yes he’s a Poke so I’ll always kind of root for him but there seems to be some gratitude lacking for getting to keep his position through both that fiasco and general underperformance/boring defensive/outdated style that spread in the team once he came aboard. Broad strokes I realize as he did a lot of good things for the team and definitely helped build Plott into a monster but still. Just weird to read all this stuff about him being out for blood when it’s like bro chill, you aren’t exactly blameless for your exit from staff.

I personally just wish all Perry talk would go away. Not blaming anyone for talking about it because it is relevant and it is the offseason, but the whole thing just feels dirty to me.
Agreed and I hate to even bring up old stuff but the “haha Perry’s amazing and is gonna getcha!” is kind of being shoved in our faces for several weeks now. I bet it will slow once the rumor mill quiets down.

Couple thoughts.

Iowa State is a great program that has been doing well in recent years, often better than OSU. It’s not a bad choice to go there. I do think they have a better short term prognosis (1-2 years) but OSU is poised to be a recruiting powerhouse and likely has a higher ceiling.

Perry could have been fired after the osterine fiasco. Even if Daton had never drank the stuff it was still incredibly poor judgment to recommend that an athlete’s father (and RTC coach in waiting) experiment with a banned substance. I mean give me a break. Daton didn’t get a lifetime ban from wrestling (he could have) but he did get a lifetime black mark and Perry got what, a slap on the wrist maybe? His same annual raise? I don’t remember even him giving a sincere public apology. Hard not to be a little salty about how that whole thing went down in light of Perry now supposedly being all vindictive about the coaching carousel. Yes he’s a Poke so I’ll always kind of root for him but there seems to be some gratitude lacking for getting to keep his position through both that fiasco and general underperformance/boring defensive/outdated style that spread in the team once he came aboard. Broad strokes I realize as he did a lot of good things for the team and definitely helped build Plott into a monster but still. Just weird to read all this stuff about him being out for blood when it’s like bro chill, you aren’t exactly blameless for your exit from staff.

Both Perry and Derek could/should of been fired as a result of that deal.

Post in thread '2024-2025 Wrestling Lineup' https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/2024-2025-wrestling-lineup.285897/post-9448266

Post in thread '2024-2025 Wrestling Lineup' https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/2024-2025-wrestling-lineup.285897/post-9448784

I was browsing the cyclone board earlier and seen these posts regarding Perry
This kind of stuff wears me out. Nothing against DJP, it’s good to be aware, but as a fan, I can take only so much worrying over things outside my control. If Lockett leaves, that sucks but life goes on. I hope he stays but if he chooses to follow a coach, best of luck. As an employer, I have team members threaten to leave all the time. I used to fret at how we would replace them. I have found, that by letting the fence sitters leave and keeping the ones that want to stay, the culture improves, work improves, etc. I don’t waste my time worrying any more. No one is bigger than the system.

This kind of stuff wears me out. Nothing against DJP, it’s good to be aware, but as a fan, I can take only so much worrying over things outside my control. If Lockett leaves, that sucks but life goes on. I hope he stays but if he chooses to follow a coach, best of luck. As an employer, I have team members threaten to leave all the time. I used to fret at how we would replace them. I have found, that by letting the fence sitters leave and keeping the ones that want to stay, the culture improves, work improves, etc. I don’t waste my time worrying any more. No one is bigger than the system.
Addition by subtraction as they say. I would imagine after this off season we won't have nearly as many distractions and rumors floating around. November can't get here soon enough!

💯 agree and I think we’re all seeing why people aren’t the head coach at OSU. The only one I feel for is Coleman, he gave it a real go and has been gracious since.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT