ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting News?

So it’s absolutely beyond reason to say that Perry advised CC to leave and that they probably end up in the same place??? Or that CC isn’t the only guy he’s advised similarly?
no, it's not beyond reason.

it's recruiting, ya dippies. idc if perry told every kid to leave (he didn't, but)...

it's recruiting. you literally just poached a kid from nebraska. fair and square. but don't be calling fouls and playing holier than thou.

i'm not sure if you're aware of this, but if CC was perfectly content at OKST he could have stayed.

were you guys, until this week, unaware of what goes on in recruiting (in all sports)?

but by all means, one kid left so Chris Perry is the devil.

keep pushing the issue, though. you have no idea what position you're even putting the program in.

the rumors
yep. rumors
Chris and Caldwell did a good job of improving recruiting.
Chris and Caldwell built the team through hustle and relationships. the roster you are so optimistic about are largely 'his guys'.

and yet you stand here with pitch forks because one single guy left.

never mind the fact that 1) almost every coaching change in america in any sport sees more turnover than what OKST has had and 2) a mandate to 20-something year old college kids on no dipping, drinking, and swearing doesn't go over well with everyone.

and yet still one guy (the one that flipped multiple times) but yeah, it's all one coaches 'fault'.

you guys are losing your minds on this topic.

it's recruiting, ya dippies. idc if perry told every kid to leave (he didn't, but)...

it's recruiting. you literally just poached a kid from nebraska. fair and square. but don't be calling fouls and playing holier than thou.

i'm not sure if you're aware of this, but if CC was perfectly content at OKST he could have stayed.

were you guys, until this week, unaware of what goes on in recruiting (in all sports)?

keep pushing the issue, though. you have no idea what position you're even putting the program in.
I think that’s all fair except he’s still basically “inside” the program as a person of trust for the wrestlers. That’s not the same as flipping a high school recruit from another staff in another state.

it's a message board. feel free to elucidate.
Adam Ruins Everything GIF by truTV

This site has went nuts. Been on here since the beginning. I am appalled at the blind loyalty to DT that everything he does is perfect and if you disagree or question him you aren’t supportive of the program. Crazy shit going on here.
🤷🏼‍♂️ I, and menu others on this site, were not happy about the previous staff leaving but you suck it up and get behind the new regime when the decision was made. I do feel it’s a bit of a witch hunt right now, with CC leaving but lots, me included, felt he was a big part of the future for cowboy wrestling and I think we’re just trying to make sense of a tough loss. No blind loyalty bub

yep. rumors

Chris and Caldwell built the team through hustle and relationships. the roster you are so optimistic about are largely 'his guys'.

and yet you stand here with pitch forks because one single guy left.

never mind the fact that 1) almost every coaching change in america in any sport sees more turnover than what OKST has had and 2) a mandate to 20-something year old college kids on no dipping, drinking, and swearing doesn't go over well with everyone.

and yet still one guy (the one that flipped multiple times) but yeah, it's all one coaches 'fault'.

you guys are losing your minds on this topic.
Yes, our recruiting really improved but the results were way less than our recruiting rankings. We have been cursed or were really good at picking the wrong kids. The 2020 class I was very excited about which was reduced to Dustin Plott and Luke Surber. Ferrari won a National Championship and then self destructed. Trevor Mastrogiovanni left also without a lot of accomplishments. 2021 was a class that looked good on paper but not on the mat ( Voinovich, Mastrogiovanni, and Haas). 2022 was not a great class but our middle weights looked good and Anthony Ferrari and Jordan Williams as part of the class could be a shut out if Williams leaves. 2023 class was number 1 with Carroll, Thompson and Hughes as the stars and this class seems to have been gutted. 2024 had Merrill, Sakamoto and McComas and the conclusion is who knows? Seems we are due some good luck 1 day but also we need staff to make better decisions and improve at wrestler development. I think losing Carroll and possibly Thompson and Williams is just a devastating trend that we are sick and tired of. I believe there is not 1 college wrestling program that has brought so much in and gotten so little results as us in the last 4 years. Of course we got the 12 or so years before that was not so great either. Taylor gives us some hope of change but the last few days we took some more body blows which for a long time is what being a Cowboy wrestling fan has encompassed. I hate the idea that over partying was part of this painful period of time.

He and Caldwell picked up recruiting a bit. You want to see how partying affected us….go back to the Perry early years with Dallas Bailey et al, and the group that came in with Albert White. Then Marstellar and others I won’t name. Heck, we had an ex-squad man who was a bad influence die of drugs about a year ago shortly after he left.

He and Caldwell picked up recruiting a bit. You want to see how partying affected us….go back to the Perry early years with Dallas Bailey et al, and the group that came in with Albert White. Then Marstellar and others I won’t name. Heck, we had an ex-squad man who was a bad influence die of drugs about a year ago shortly after he left.
I just listened to Rob Koll talking about how he runs a wrestling program like a business.. It just seems like there was a shift in expectations in other programs that resulted in Ok State falling further and further behind. The Ok State wrestling "company" was allowing things to happen that werent productive. I expect that the change will make Ok State seem like a different program all together.

I just listened to Rob Koll talking about how he runs a wrestling program like a business.. It just seems like there was a shift in expectations in other programs that resulted in Ok State falling further and further behind. The Ok State wrestling "company" was allowing things to happen that werent productive. I expect that the change will make Ok State seem like a different program all together.
Do you have a link to the Koll interview?

Yes, our recruiting really improved but the results were way less than our recruiting rankings. We have been cursed or were really good at picking the wrong kids. The 2020 class I was very excited about which was reduced to Dustin Plott and Luke Surber. Ferrari won a National Championship and then self destructed. Trevor Mastrogiovanni left also without a lot of accomplishments. 2021 was a class that looked good on paper but not on the mat ( Voinovich, Mastrogiovanni, and Haas). 2022 was not a great class but our middle weights looked good and Anthony Ferrari and Jordan Williams as part of the class could be a shut out if Williams leaves. 2023 class was number 1 with Carroll, Thompson and Hughes as the stars and this class seems to have been gutted. 2024 had Merrill, Sakamoto and McComas and the conclusion is who knows? Seems we are due some good luck 1 day but also we need staff to make better decisions and improve at wrestler development. I think losing Carroll and possibly Thompson and Williams is just a devastating trend that we are sick and tired of. I believe there is not 1 college wrestling program that has brought so much in and gotten so little results as us in the last 4 years. Of course we got the 12 or so years before that was not so great either. Taylor gives us some hope of change but the last few days we took some more body blows which for a long time is what being a Cowboy wrestling fan has encompassed. I hate the idea that over partying was part of this painful period of time.
Very true

Seriously? ;_;
Yes very serious. What has he done? Again, I am asking because I do not know. The only thing I am seeing from other posts is he helped recruit. Recruiting has never been an issue at OK State. Just the name of the program helps recruit some of the best. The name of the program does not help these wrestlers get better every year and progress from their senior year in High School though. And that has been the biggest problem at OK State. Perfect example of this, how much better did Daton Fix get since getting to OK State? Daton is an amazing wrestler and great person, so not saying anything bad about him. But how much did he actually grow at the program under the coaches since he was there? OK State has always got top recruits, but again as of lately most of them do not get any better once they get to OK State. And that is a culture and coaching issue. That is why the changes have been made.

Like I said somewhere else it’s summed up in recruiting talent over character.

• Love
Reactions: okcpokefan12

Agreed, unless its against rules then I don't care if any coach talks to any athlete at any time. Folks can give the "how dare you" vibe a rest IMO

PS I think the "sabotaged a program" comments are directed at the Daton Fix suspension. Consequences of that could have been much worse than one wrestler getting suspended for a year. OSU fans still remember the sanctions of the early 90s.

This site has went nuts. Been on here since the beginning. I am appalled at the blind loyalty to DT that everything he does is perfect and if you disagree or question him you aren’t supportive of the program. Crazy shit going on here.
David Taylor defeats men by the hundreds, and if he were here he'd consume all opponents with fireballs from his eyes and bolts of lightning from his ass.

David Taylor defeats men by the hundreds, and if he were here he'd consume all opponents with fireballs from his eyes and bolts of lightning from his ass.
Crazy but true. I've seen it. The first time you see the lightning out the ass, it's shocking and disorienting, but then you realize it's Superman in a singlet. Guys like that can do anything. Ride the train or else.

All that said, he's still not as scary as my wife on the warpath.

Last edited:
So does anyone know if we are still working on transfers for this year or have we closed that down and moved on to future year recruiting?

Does anyone know much about Devon Harrison? I know he’s from Missouri and has a 4.0 gpa. He’s finished near the top on a few of the big tournaments, but I haven’t really heard much about him

They did basically say that all their info was pre DT but I did think it was interesting that Spey picked Iowa. I guess just because of the Young Guns / Spencer Lee connection
I thought it was a bad take and intellectually lazy to be honest. Bo Bassett has an strong connection to M2 and Young Guns, so I'm not sure there is only one connection. As for Spencer Lee, sure he idolizes him, but he probably idolizes DT, Gilman, Cael, Nick Lee, Zain etc, etc, etc. Lastly, I would say that as a likely 149 in college, I think a Gilman/Lee/Zain would trump a Spencer Lee as a practice partner/teacher.

All that said, Bo could always decide to be the big fish in the pond rather than one of many. Kids are kids, but that take from Spey was blah to me.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT