ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting News?

No beef that I know of. Saying or insinuating that Cael has done a much better job isn’t beef imo.

My post was in reply to Blair saying that their success is 90% due to recruiting. I’m just saying that recruiting success is obviously coaching too.

If you’re asking for a point I guess I’m just saying that until we better position ourselves to win more of those battles with PSU (and we need to win some big PA battles) then we shouldn’t expect much change imo. Going after the big time P4P kids that PSU doesn’t want may or may not work. We’ll see.

I’d love to see Coleman work PA hard.
Fair enough

PSU recruits the best And Does a great job developing them and making them peak at the best time. That isn’t just recruiting and luck. We got to recruit the best also and develop our guys just as good or we will never catch them

Cael doesn't do it all by himself. He has excellent coaching minds behind him helping with the practices, workload etc. If someone was to hire away say Casey Cunningham I'm sure that would hurt them in some form. You cant do anything about the advantage they have with the biggest and best HS recruiting pool in the nation or the world class RTC training partners, but dismantling the minds that drive the engine would be worth the cause.

Reactions: tom_v31
Cael doesn't do it all by himself. He has excellent coaching minds behind him helping with the practices, workload etc. If someone was to hire away say Casey Cunningham I'm sure that would hurt them in some form. You cant do anything about the advantage they have with the biggest and best HS recruiting pool in the nation or the world class RTC training partners, but dismantling the minds that drive the engine would be worth the cause.
It would not affect the recruiting. Casey is a good coach doesn’t matter how good a coach you are if you don’t have a talent to coach.you are not winning

Coaching and development is critical.

Development or lack of it has been our major issue at OSU about the last decade. We have recruited high end blue chip talent pretty consistently. We just haven’t been able to develop them into NC’s. Some of that has been bad luck or guys doing damage to their own careers but at the end of the day the results fall on our staff and program.

We have to get better at identifying and developing wrestlers and a culture to turn high level recruits into NC’s. There have been a lot of positive changes to OSU wrelsting over the last 24 months or so that are aimed at and that I think will help in all of this.

Look at the class rankings and top 50 recruits signed over the past 10 years and see how many ended up as NC’s.

2013 - Class rank #8 (PSU 6)
Dean Heil #3
Anthony Collica #4
Kelian Torres #18

2014 - Class rank #4 (PSU 1)
Chance Marstellar #1
Ryan Blees #3
Chandler Rogers #5
GW Harding #6
Mike Malgaldo #7
Preston Wiegel #8
Jakobe Smith #20

2015 - Class rank #2 (PSU 18)
Joe Smith #7
Kaid Brock #10
Nic Picinni #24

2016 - Class rank #12 (PSU 2)
Keegan Moore #48

2017 - Class rank #5 (PSU 3
Daton Fix #1
Kaden Gfeller #15

2018 - Class rank #12 (PSU 1)
Travis Witlake #8
Anthony Montalvo #33

2019 - Class Rank #13 (PSU NR)
Reece Witcraft #24
Brevin Balmeceda #25
Daniel Maniborg #47

2020 - Class Rank #1 (PSU 4)
AJ Ferrari #10
Dustin Plott #11
Trevor Mastro #13

2021 - Class Rank #6 (PSU 1)
Victor Voinovich #12
Kyle Haas #18
Travis Mastro #39

• Love
Reactions: okcpokefan12

Development or lack of it has been our major issue at OSU about the last decade. We have recruited high end blue chip talent pretty consistently. We just haven’t been able to develop them into NC’s. Some of that has been bad luck or guys doing damage to their own careers but at the end of the day the results fall on our staff and program.

We have to get better at identifying and developing wrestlers and a culture to turn high level recruits into NC’s. There have been a lot of positive changes to OSU wrelsting over the last 24 months or so that are aimed at and that I think will help in all of this.

Look at the class rankings and top 50 recruits signed over the past 10 years and see how many ended up as NC’s.

Dean Heil #3
Anthony Collica #4
Kelian Torres #18

Chance Marstellar #1
Ryan Blees #3
Chandler Rogers #5
GW Harding #6
Mike Malgaldo #7
Preston Wiegel #8
Jakobe Smith #20

Joe Smith #7
Kaid Brock #10
Nic Picinni #24

Keegan Moore #48

Daton Fix #1
Kaden Gfeller #15

Travis Witlake #8
Anthony Montalvo #33

Reece Witcraft #24
Brevin Balmeceda #25
Daniel Maniborg #47

AJ Ferrari #10
Dustin Plott #11
Trevor Mastro #13

Victor Voinovich #12
Kyle Haas #18
Travis Mastro #39
Everything looks good except our 2014 class has to be wrong in regards to that class individual rankings. I obviously agree that we need to be better at picking out character and desire to be the best of our recruits and developing those recruits. Which is why on 1 of my last posts I indicated yes, we are recruiting good, but I need to see better results this 2nd semester and the years to come.

Reactions: tom_v31
Everything looks good except our 2014 class has to be wrong in regards to that class individual rankings. I obviously agree that we need to be better at picking out character and desire to be the best of our recruits and developing those recruits. Which is why on 1 of my last posts I indicated yes, we are recruiting good, but I need to see better results this 2nd semester and the years to come.

Has to be ranking at weight, not pound for pound. I was confused too.

Partying has killed us for years now and John has done basically nothing to stop it....even when it hit close to home. He always talks about how he lived and breathed wrestling 24/7 yet our team has had a partying problem for a long, long time. Hopefully Coleman can get some buy in from the guys.

In other news. Looks like AJ going to Iowa. I’m assuming it is second semester. This allows him to come in, do no school work and bring home trophy, of some sort to Iowa. I don’t see this lasting more than a semester

Reactions: AtownPoke
Those are rankings for their weights and not P4P.

Makes sense. A couple of them threw me as well.

Still #4 ranked class sorry Chance, Blees and Rogers.

Plenty of blue chip recruits and not enough NC’s.

Hoping the RTC investment, Coleman and a new outlook on the program helps changes things. Some good signs pointing in the right direction.

Reactions: AtownPoke

Dean Heil #3
Anthony Collica #4
Kelian Torres #18

Chance Marstellar #1
Ryan Blees #3
Chandler Rogers #5
GW Harding #6
Mike Malgaldo #7
Preston Wiegel #8
Jakobe Smith #20

Joe Smith #7
Kaid Brock #10
Nic Picinni #24

Keegan Moore #48

Daton Fix #1
Kaden Gfeller #15

Travis Witlake #8
Anthony Montalvo #33

Reece Witcraft #24
Brevin Balmeceda #25
Daniel Maniborg #47

AJ Ferrari #10
Dustin Plott #11
Trevor Mastro #13

Victor Voinovich #12
Kyle Haas #18
Travis Mastro #Racing
Has to be ranking at weight, not pound for pound. I was confused too.

Partying has killed us for years now and John has done basically nothing to stop it....even when it hit close to home. He always talks about how he lived and breathed wrestling 24/7 yet our team has had a partying problem for a long, long time. Hopefully Coleman can get some buy in from the guys.
you don’t know what your talking about

Dean Heil #3
Anthony Collica #4
Kelian Torres #18

Chance Marstellar #1
Ryan Blees #3
Chandler Rogers #5
GW Harding #6
Mike Malgaldo #7
Preston Wiegel #8
Jakobe Smith #20

Joe Smith #7
Kaid Brock #10
Nic Picinni #24

Keegan Moore #48

Daton Fix #1
Kaden Gfeller #15

Travis Witlake #8
Anthony Montalvo #33

Reece Witcraft #24
Brevin Balmeceda #25
Daniel Maniborg #47

AJ Ferrari #10
Dustin Plott #11
Trevor Mastro #13

Victor Voinovich #12
Kyle Haas #18
Travis Mastro #39
Out of the last 11 guys listed only 1 is currently a starter in Stillwater

you don’t know what your talking about
Blair… bro…

It’s clear you’re close to the program and the coaches. But acting like partying/drinking wasn’t an issue is just lying. I know enough wrestlers from the team and friends of the program to know that’s simply not true. And john did nothing about it. To his credit, he’s not a babysitter, and demands excellence- but he ain’t exactly telling guys to not go to the bars.

Balmeceda specifically picked okiest because he knew he’d be able to have ‘fun.’ John let his own son drink himself out of 2 weight classes.

Now, it does seem like john and co and prioritizing lifestyle a bit more in their recruiting - so that should help out.

The Alton’s at Penn st Ed Ruth every program has them Iowa Stoll gets shot because they’re hi Cory Clark do you want me to name more every program has that does that mean it’s tolerated by the coaches or coaching staff

• Haha
Blair… bro…

It’s clear you’re close to the program and the coaches. But acting like partying/drinking wasn’t an issue is just lying. I know enough wrestlers from the team and friends of the program to know that’s simply not true. And john did nothing about it. To his credit, he’s not a babysitter, and demands excellence- but he ain’t exactly telling guys to not go to the bars.

Balmeceda specifically picked okiest because he knew he’d be able to have ‘fun.’ John let his own son drink himself out of 2 weight classes.

Now, it does seem like john and co and prioritizing lifestyle a bit more in their recruiting - so that should help out.
I bet that’s why Pat Pop is so strict with his wrestlers 💡

Reactions: vhsalum
I bet that’s why Pat Pop is so strict with his wrestlers 💡
That’s good but to say Oklahoma State is a party school is bullshit. Every school has its partiers. But there’s a time and a place for it during the season is not a time after this season that’s the place if you’re going to do it.

That’s good but to say Oklahoma State is a party school is bullshit. Every school has its partiers. But there’s a time and a place for it during the season is not a time after this season that’s the place if you’re going to
That’s good but to say Oklahoma State is a party school is bullshit. Every school has its partiers. But there’s a time and a place for it during the season is not a time after this season that’s the place if you’re going to do it.
Balmeceda issues he had when he arrived just like Marstellar‘s you give kids chances, but you could only tolerate so much

• Haha
Every schooo is a party school yes. But wrestlers, wrestlers and coaches from other schools, recruits all know that john is lax about partying and the culture lends itself to the team having far more partiers than what could be considered normal for a college team. To the point that it has been detrimental.

And yes. Pat pop will tell you that is the EXACT reason he has a hard no drinking/drugs policy - his time in Stillwater and the coaches allowing it led to his hard stance.

Again, not sure if that’s still the case, but these wasted, recent recruited classes? Hard partying and not attending classes contributed greatly to its lack of success.

the upside to Carroll is his upside is much higher. The question is, do you pull his redshirt and let him take his lumps or do you keep in redshirt and let a serviceable Doucet maintain the spot. That’s assuming he can beat Doucet for the spot.
Carroll's not an option this year. Out with injury.

Every schooo is a party school yes. But wrestlers, wrestlers and coaches from other schools, recruits all know that john is lax about partying and the culture lends itself to the team having far more partiers than what could be considered normal for a college team. To the point that it has been detrimental.

And yes. Pat pop will tell you that is the EXACT reason he has a hard no drinking/drugs policy - his time in Stillwater and the coaches allowing it led to his hard stance.

Again, not sure if that’s still the case, but these wasted, recent recruited classes? Hard partying and not attending classes contributed greatly to its lack of success.
Oh good grief. When Kemerer took his OV visit to Iowa, the wrestlers tried to recruit him by telling him about the partying and nightlife. Kemerer wasn't looking for that lifestyle and left disillusioned. The next day Brands drove from IA to PA to meet with Kemerer to fix things. Told him that wasn't Iowa's culture. 6 months later Seth Gross and 2 others got busted after a drunken burglary spree. Then Stoll got shot by a teammate at 3 AM. And those are just the public incidents.

You don’t know what you’re talking about he is not lax on drinking and partying. None of Pats team mates were big drinkers while he was here l. Your just running your mouth about something you know nothing about hearsay

• Haha
Oh good grief. When Kemerer took his OV visit to Iowa, the wrestlers tried to recruit him by telling him about the partying and nightlife. Kemerer wasn't looking for that lifestyle and left disillusioned. The next day Brands drove from IA to PA to meet with Kemerer to fix things. Told him that wasn't Iowa's culture. 6 months later Seth Gross and 2 others got busted after a drunken burglary spree. Then Stoll got shot by a teammate at 3 AM. And those are just the public incidents.
Exactly and I can tell you many more that I know about no Coach tolerates party kids will do it and try to get away with it as much as possible if that’s their lifestyle, not many can live this lifestyle and be successful. I totally agree with that but there has been exceptions and we know that that’s not the lifestyle you want to recruit with.

Never said Iowa wasn’t a party culture. They absolutely were. It’s why Tom had to recruit Spencer and Kem and really locked everything down. PD3 was simply not allowed on the team because he wanted to go to the bars after practice and Tom said no.

What did that lead to? Well, one title, and if Tom had any clue about resting 7th years - should have been 2.

Meanwhile, okiest has done what? Wasted excellent recruits because guys party, don’t attend class, and drink the lineup silly.

Acting like it didn’t/doesn’t happen does not portend to change. If Blair is to be believed- partying WAS NEVER an issue - despite facts to the obvious.

Because if that’s the case and the staff refuse to identify kids who party LESS and are not total cancers - expect the same results.

Just so we’re clear - I’m rooting for you guys. I love okiest as a brand, john as a person and coach and the sport is just better with a competing-for-national-titles okiest team

You don’t know what you’re talking about he is not lax on drinking and partying. None of Pats team mates were big drinkers while he was here l. Your just running your mouth about something you know nothing about hearsay
Ok. So pat lied to me when he said that? Got it.

And he just magically came up with his no drinking/drugs rule because he received a vision from God?

Ok. So pat lied to me when he said that? Got it.

And he just magically came up with his no drinking/drugs rule because he received a vision from God?
Let’s see some actual numbers to compare OSU and NC State! Individual titles won, team titles won, AAs, recruiting ranks, etc.

• Haha
Because if that’s the case and the staff refuse to identify kids who party LESS and are not total cancers - expect the same results.

Just so we’re clear - I’m rooting for you guys. I love okiest as a brand, john as a person and coach and the sport is just better with a competing-for-national-titles okiest team
I don’t really like calling people out on forums but I’m sure you can articulate your point without labeling athletes as “total cancers”. Gen Z - the kids you’re insulting - would call it cringe af bro no cap!

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum
Never said Iowa wasn’t a party culture. They absolutely were. It’s why Tom had to recruit Spencer and Kem and really locked everything down. PD3 was simply not allowed on the team because he wanted to go to the bars after practice and Tom said no.

What did that lead to? Well, one title, and if Tom had any clue about resting 7th years - should have been 2.

Meanwhile, okiest has done what? Wasted excellent recruits because guys party, don’t attend class, and drink the lineup silly.

Acting like it didn’t/doesn’t happen does not portend to change. If Blair is to be believed- partying WAS NEVER an issue - despite facts to the obvious.

The point is everyone has some black eyes over partying, including Iowa. Also, Kemerer was class of 2015 & Lee was 2017. The Sam Stoll shooting happened in mid 2018. Maybe Tom doesn't know what lock down means.

And since you brought up PD3...Brands told Kemerer that Iowa was about having the right culture and doing the right things. Then he goes out and recruits Downey. And then the 2 oldest Ferrari's. Didn't you post that Anthony was done with college wrestling after he went with the blind plea? Maybe Tom doesn't know what right culture is either.

And just so we're clear, I'm not rooting for Iowa 😀

The point is everyone has some black eyes over partying, including Iowa. Also, Kemerer was class of 2015 & Lee was 2017. The Sam Stoll shooting happened in mid 2018. Maybe Tom doesn't know what lock down means.

And since you brought up PD3...Brands told Kemerer that Iowa was about having the right culture and doing the right things. Then he goes out and recruits Downey. And then the 2 oldest Ferrari's. Didn't you post that Anthony was done with college wrestling after he went with the blind plea? Maybe Tom doesn't know what right culture is either.

Glad you cleared up your Iowa Fandom 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Wrassler17

There was one institution this year that lost some athletes for gambling violations not sure which university that was then I’m sure they have a good culture. See every program has some problems. If you dig deep enough you’re dealing with 18 to 25 year old kids. Covid.Lol lol

Whether it’s been bad luck, partying or on the mat development, we just haven’t gotten enough of the highly recruited kids to become champions here.

That has to change. I’m hopeful the changes in the program over the past year or two will do just that.

There was one institution this year that lost some athletes for gambling violations not sure which university that was then I’m sure they have a good culture. See every program has some problems. If you dig deep enough you’re dealing with 18 to 25 year old kids. Covid.Lol lol
This the okiest board though. We talkin bout ya’all!

Trust me, I’ve laid plenty at the feet of brands. But acting like partying hasn’t been an issue for john/okiest is being obtuse at best.

There is partying at every school and partiers on every team. Those are the temptations you face when attending college as a student athlete. The guys who are focused on winning and becoming great choose a lifestyle dedicated to that and don't let those temptations hurt them. That doesn't mean that they don't throw a few back every once in a while, but certainly during the season they remove those things in their life. Look at the guys who are consistently winning and competing for NC. They are high character, god loving guys who's number one priority is winning and getting better. You have to make a decision when being a college athlete, do you want to win and be great or just ride your scholly and have fun.

And since we're on the topic, is that why Mastro went rouge mid way through the season last year? Still have never heard the exact reason.

We don't just party like every other school. It is, and has been, a problem. Hell, even Perry got sucked in back in the day with Dallas Bailey and that crew. And John won't even do anything when he catches dope smoking in his own house....just acts pissed with no repercussions. One recent wrestler died due to drugs this past year. He had been a bad influence on some of our good guys we were counting on (G). So it isn't "just like all schools".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT