ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting News?

I’ll lean towards Hate lol. It feels like a rigged game at this point. I did go through and look at the results of every NCAA since ‘09 last night and it’s crazy how close we were at times
I hate to say it, I hate PSU, and I can’t stand how everyone holds them in a pedestal. The biggest advantage they have is a HUGE pool of top recruits to draw on, as well as the most recent premier wrestler to coach them. They have what is called a ‘flywheel’ effect. The parts are moving and now all they do is plug in the pieces. We can get there, about as fast or faster than any other team in the country.

I hate to say it, I hate PSU, and I can’t stand how everyone holds them in a pedestal. The biggest advantage they have is a HUGE pool of top recruits to draw on, as well as the most recent premier wrestler to coach them. They have what is called a ‘flywheel’ effect. The parts are moving and now all they do is plug in the pieces. We can get there, about as fast or faster than any other team in the country.
Our team has been a bit unlucky with the Ferraris and such

We competed at Mid America Nationals in Enid our 190 lber Wuru Yinusa placed 3rd as well as our 138 lber Thomas Toteh. Both are jr’s and have potential to wrestle at the next level.

There was a team from Westlake Utah that was outstanding. Top to bottom. They had either the champion or runner up at every weight class from 106 to 157. But I was more impressed with a set of brothers on their team. Both took first. One was a freshman at 126 and the other was a sophomore at 138.
Looked at those results in Track. Beau Hickman won @ 144, same weight he was last year. But Ethan Teague won @ 175, up from 157 last season.

Did he get that big or was he wrestling up? Looks like he was at least 175.1 at certification time, but that could be his preseason walk-around weight.

Looked at those results in Track. Beau Hickman won @ 144, same weight he was last year. But Ethan Teague won @ 175, up from 157 last season.

Did he get that big or was he wrestling up? Looks like he was at least 175.1 at certification time, but that could be his preseason walk-around weight.
I’m assuming Ethan wrestled up because they had two guys from Tuttle wrestling for 1st at 175. He didn’t look like he was walking around at 175, looked more like 165

Just watched Kody Routledge interview on OK Wrestle, he didn’t even mention OSU when talking about his college decision. Did we not make a run at him? If not, why? Just curious.

Reactions: AtownPoke
Just watched Kody Routledge interview on OK Wrestle, he didn’t even mention OSU when talking about his college decision. Did we not make a run at him? If not, why? Just curious.
I'm sure we did, but just cause we wanted him doesn't mean he wanted us and I might be wrong with this assumption but it's likely we didn't have enough to throw at him to get his interest. It could just be me but I get a sour vibe from the Edmond North guys with regards to OSU. Lots of ranked guys in their recruiting classes and we haven't landed one in a long time. Not sure if its us or them. I believe Derek White was our last starter from Edmond N and he was a transfer from Nebraska.

I'm sure we did, but just cause we wanted him doesn't mean he wanted us and I might be wrong with this assumption but it's likely we didn't have enough to throw at him to get his interest. It could just be me but I get a sour vibe from the Edmond North guys with regards to OSU. Lots of ranked guys in their recruiting classes and we haven't landed one in a long time. Not sure if its us or them. I believe Derek White was our last starter from Edmond N and he was a transfer from Nebraska.
We didnt

Reactions: BigDogsGottaEat
I'm not crazy about Mizzou getting a couple of Bixby guys recently. We don't need them snooping around. At least the Tuttle connection is still strong.
I feel like we've gotten the Bixby guys we want and needed, Blankenship & Robb. But its understandable why a couple of those guys chose Mizzou over us with probable weight class lineup issues. Only one I'm mad about is Steed.

I feel like we've gotten the Bixby guys we want and needed, Blankenship & Robb. But its understandable why a couple of those guys chose Mizzou over us with probable weight class lineup issues. Only one I'm mad about is Steed.
The Steed one does sting. Turned out much better than most thought.

But a case could be made that the lineup wasn't set up great for him as well. He committed to Mizzou in April '22 and looked like a 149 or 157. At that point Travis Mastro hadn't shown much as a true freshman & Anthony Ferrari had already been suspended at Stillwater HS. But Voinovich was having a solid true freshman year & Jordan Williams was already signed. Bad timing unfortunately.

I'm not crazy about Mizzou getting a couple of Bixby guys recently. We don't need them snooping around. At least the Tuttle connection is still strong.
The ones in Missouri got would have a hard time ever making our team we wish them well

Teague had surgery this summer, so later getting started. He is not pulling weight this year and just focusing on getting better and lifting.

Hickman is doing well, but still pulling some.

Always appreciate your recruiting insight Blair, care to elaborate? Seems like he’s going to be a middleweight which is the spot in our lineup we appear to be in need, genuinely curious
When we recruit the #1 guys in the country we are recruiting them to start.The rest will have to really improve to ever make the lineup. I’m not saying it can’t happen but the days of recruiting 4-10 guys are for training partners. You want to know why we haven’t won a title in 18 years to many 4-10 the past 3 years is what you have to have to be in the hunt and NIL will make that possible. Just my 2 cents Hope this doesn’t offend anyone

When we recruit the #1 guys in the country we are recruiting them to start.The rest will have to really improve to ever make the lineup. I’m not saying it can’t happen but the days of recruiting 4-10 guys are for training partners. You want to know why we haven’t won a title in 18 years to many 4-10 the past 3 years is what you have to have to be in the hunt and NIL will make that possible. Just my 2 cents Hope this doesn’t offend anyone
I think that every year we need to spend the vast majority of our scholarship money on potential super recruits ( top 10 pound for pound in the Country). Instead of getting an eight man recruiting class ranked from 50 to 150 I would prefer 2 recruits rated in the top 10 in the class. You get the RTC going where we have 10 highly rated post graduate wrestlers everyone will have good workout partners. Fill in with walkons or recruits who get their books paid for. Very few of our wrestlers who have been high All Americans were not star recruits. Also even with the stars you have to be able to pick out who really is the cream of the crop. Who has placed in the top 5 at NCAA's in the last 10 years. Dieringer, Heil, Ferrari, Wittlake, Fix, Lewallen, Weigel, Piccinnini, Brock, Joe Smith, Marsden, Boyd, Crutchmer, Caldwell, Perry, Kindig, Morrison and Gelogaev. Of these Lewallen, Weigel , Marsden, Boyd and Crutchmer were not real blue chip recruits but everyone but Boyd I think were top 40 recruits. But what really stands out is that all of our finalists who score big points were top recruits ( Dieringer, Heil, Fix, Ferrari, Perry and Kindig. Keep getting the super recruits and develop them and we can compete with Penn. St.

Last edited:
Why don’t you take who’ll come and then let them worry about starting? It seems like we’re handicapping our depth

To clarify, I’m not saying we should be filling up on unranked locals. To the contrary, I’m wondering why we dont push to take (as many as possible) potentially great wrestlers that have serious interest in OSU? It seems like I see people say things like “we’ve already got Spratley” and that’s a bit concerning. No one should be beyond competition

Last edited:
I think that every year we need to spend the vast majority of our scholarship money on potential super recruits ( top 10 pound for pound in the Country). Instead of getting an eight man recruiting class ranked from 50 to 150 I would prefer 2 recruits rated in the top 10 in the class. You get the RTC going where we have 10 highly rated post graduate wrestlers everyone will have good workout partners. Fill in with walkons or recruits who get their books paid for. Very few of our wrestlers who have been high All Americans were not star recruits. Also even with the stars you have to be able to pick out who really is the cream of the crop. Who has paced in the top 5 at NCAA's in the last 10 years. Dieringer, Heil, Ferrari, Wittlake, Fix, Lewallen, Weigel, Piccinnini, Brock, Joe Smith, Marsden, Boyd, Crutchmer, Caldwell, Perry, Kindig, Morrison and Gelogaev. Of these Lewallen, Weigel , Marsden, Boyd and Crutchmer were not real blue chip recruits but everyone but Boyd I think were top 40 recruits. But what really stands out is that all of our finalists who score big points were top recruits ( Dieringer, Heil, Fix, Ferrari, Perry and Kindig. Keep getting the super recruits and develop them and we can compete with Penn. St

You can probably throw in Jordan Oliver to that group

Why don’t you take who’ll come and then let them worry about starting? It seems like we’re handicapping our depth

To clarify, I’m not saying we should be filling up on unranked locals. To the contrary, I’m wondering why we dont push to take (as many as possible) potentially great wrestler that has serious interest in OSU? It seems like I see people say things like “we’ve already got Spratley” and that’s a bit concerning. No one should be beyond competition
Hindsight is 20/20. It may not have seemed so, but it’s becoming pretty apparent that we may have missed the bus on some pretty good local kids. I’m greedy, I don’t like to see talent leave the state

Reactions: BigDogsGottaEat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT