ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting News?

I think we can all agree that we could use Steed at 157 this year. I’m not totally informed so correct me if I’m wrong, but it appears we have a lot of young talent in the lower weights and upper weights, but a hole in the middle. If we didn’t get Izzy in the portal, it would of been Harper and Manibog at 157 and 165 to start the year… and it’s the last year of eligibility for both of them. Do we have guys that fit that bill coming in/on our radar?

I think we can all agree that we could use Steed at 157 this year. I’m not totally informed so correct me if I’m wrong, but it appears we have a lot of young talent in the lower weights and upper weights, but a hole in the middle. If we didn’t get Izzy in the portal, it would of been Harper and Manibog at 157 and 165 to start the year… and it’s the last year of eligibility for both of them. Do we have guys that fit that bill coming in/on our radar?
But we did and we will get 57-65 for next year

Glad your not evaluating the future talent
You are a 100% asshole and discount so many kids talent and you are dumb if you think Sommer isn’t super talented . You seriously have a huge stick up your ass and need to either get laid or move out your mom’s basement and grow up. Go eat breakfast your mom is calling you .

John took a lot of criticism on here after Nationals. Blair started posting by saying the board is too negative and recruits read the comments.

He then proceeds to knock OK high school wrestlers left & right, Espo's recruiting, Coleman's results at UNC, and Cael Hughes's parents. Apparently recruits are selective about which posts they read.

I can’t stand when people knock your men for no reason. Guess winning ironman means nothing now days and after the last two years of embarrassing national tournament results as a team I wouldn’t be saying anything like he does. I hope every Oklahoma athlete has a great career regardless if they stay and go to OSU or any other school.

I can’t stand when people knock your men for no reason. Guess winning ironman means nothing now days and after the last two years of embarrassing national tournament results as a team I wouldn’t be saying anything like he does. I hope every Oklahoma athlete has a great career regardless if they stay and go to OSU or any other school.
Winning iron man at any weight is a huge accomplishment. Maybe he wouldn’t be a starter at OSU but he would add value and improve the room without question. Maybe he is a star in the making at OSU, but being an iron man champion is someone you take if you can get.

We competed at Mid America Nationals in Enid our 190 lber Wuru Yinusa placed 3rd as well as our 138 lber Thomas Toteh. Both are jr’s and have potential to wrestle at the next level.

There was a team from Westlake Utah that was outstanding. Top to bottom. They had either the champion or runner up at every weight class from 106 to 157. But I was more impressed with a set of brothers on their team. Both took first. One was a freshman at 126 and the other was a sophomore at 138.

Reactions: AtownPoke
157 at Ironman compared to other weights was not very strong this year. I think there were two kids in the bracket ranked in the Top 20 for the weight class in high school. And I believe they were ranked 18th and 20th. Those were the two highest ranked in the bracket. Landyn still wrestled a great tournament and won what was put in front of him. Congrats to him!

You are a 100% asshole and discount so many kids talent and you are dumb if you think Sommer isn’t super talented . You seriously have a huge stick up your ass and need to either get laid or move out your mom’s basement and grow up. Go eat breakfast your mom is calling you .
You took that awful personal will discuss this in two years and see who’s right
157 at Ironman compared to other weights was not very strong this year. I think there were two kids in the bracket ranked in the Top 20 for the weight class in high school. And I believe they were ranked 18th and 20th. Those were the two highest ranked in the bracket. Landyn still wrestled a great tournament and won what was put in front of him. Congrats to him!
exactly my opinion also very good assessment

Why so much FOMO over a 157 lber that isn’t ranked?
Because rankings aren't always right. 8 months ago McComas was ranked #146 in the 2024 class. Cam Steed was ranked #107 when he committed to Mizzou.

Winning iron man at any weight is a huge accomplishment. Maybe he wouldn’t be a starter at OSU but he would add value and improve the room without question. Maybe he is a star in the making at OSU, but being an iron man champion is someone you take if you can get.
Definitely. Getting a Stillwater kid who flashes potential is the easy move. And at a need weight where there is no clear starter and no depth.

157 wasn't strong, but the kid he beat in the finals was a double Fargo champ this summer. Won Cadet freestyle & greco.

Reactions: okcpokefan12
That’s the most frustrating thing about this board. Guys get talked about like they r terrible and all they do is go in everyday and grind it out to get better and make the starters better. There r guys like Kyle that have had lots of injury issues and r trying to grind it out and working to get better. These guys r high level athletes. U don’t think it’s frustrating for them to not see the success on the mat.

Reactions: leecothran
Show me anywhere I knocked him someone posted. We missed on this one in recruiting, and all I said was nope.

• Haha
Show me anywhere I knocked him someone posted. We missed on this one in recruiting, and all I said was nope.
Well since you asked...6 months ago I posted that I'd like to get Sealey, Sommer & Giddens. You replied Sealey would 'beat' both of them at the same time.

Giddens took 6th at Ironman BTW.

I'm guessing Lockett will be 165/174. It would be great to flip Sealey, but I'd also like to grab Sommer & Giddens before they get snatched up by someone.

Sealy would be sommers and giddens at the same time those two are not even in the same class

Last edited:
  • Love
We competed at Mid America Nationals in Enid our 190 lber Wuru Yinusa placed 3rd as well as our 138 lber Thomas Toteh. Both are jr’s and have potential to wrestle at the next level.

There was a team from Westlake Utah that was outstanding. Top to bottom. They had either the champion or runner up at every weight class from 106 to 157. But I was more impressed with a set of brothers on their team. Both took first. One was a freshman at 126 and the other was a sophomore at 138.
The Borge brothers. There has been a lot of hoopla with that family since youth wrestling. Very good wrestlers but a lot of “show” to go with it

Well since you asked...6 months ago I posted that I'd like to get Sealey, Sommer & Giddens. You replied Sealey would 'beat' both of them at the same time.

Giddens took 6th at Iron man
If you want to get down to the truth, this is the truth you can win national championships with guys like Sealy you’re not winning national championships with those kinds of kids that’s the only point I’m trying to make everybody wants Oklahoma State to recruit Oklahoma kids you can’t win national championships unless there’s a best kids in the country not the state

If you want to get down to the truth, this is the truth you can win national championships with guys like Sealy you’re not winning national championships with those kinds of kids that’s the only point I’m trying to make everybody wants Oklahoma State to recruit Oklahoma kids you can’t win national championships unless there’s a best kids in the country not the state
Sure, everyone agrees Sealey is a top recruit. But saying he would beat both of them at the same time is kind of a knock, no? They're solid prospects at weights where we have almost no depth. Routledge is another guy who seemed to be a good fit.

• Love
The Borge brothers. There has been a lot of hoopla with that family since youth wrestling. Very good wrestlers but a lot of “show” to go with it
Their dad was a little much for me. He walked around with gallon jugs of water and felt the need to be on the mats when they wrestled. Not sure what his affiliation with the program is other than “dad” because the coaches wore outfits and he was in a sleeveless shirt with matching shorts.

The brothers were really good IMO, they didn’t do much show boating that I saw. The 126 lber wrestler our SR who was a state placer last year and should place again this year and he gave him the toughest match of the season so far. Darius went toe to toe with JJ but the freshman was a stud.

Their 150 lber was another one I thought was an animal. Kid was tough as nails and if I remember right he pinned his opponent in the first period.

Catching Cael with how their recruitment/development has been in the past few years feels like it would be similar to trying to catch a speed boat, while being in a canoe lol. Their backups are stepping in and beating top ten guys, not saying it isn't possible, but I'd just like to see us going in the right direction, which I think we are from last year. If we can get to a point where we win a team trophy, we would at least be trying to catch Cael's speedboat in a bass tracker😂. I know that's not the goal but 3rd is a heck of a lot closer than 18th, it will take time and I'm glad that it appears we're moving in the right direction!

This is in no way disrespecting OSU or our guys, more so saying that Cael is so far ahead of damn near everyone. One of the big questions in wrestling circles a month ago, before SVN got injured, was if PSU will break the all time scoring record at NCAAs this year...

Catching Cael with how their recruitment/development has been in the past few years feels like it would be similar to trying to catch a speed boat, while being in a canoe lol. Their backups are stepping in and beating top ten guys, not saying it isn't possible, but I'd just like to see us going in the right direction, which I think we are from last year. If we can get to a point where we win a team trophy, we would at least be trying to catch Cael's speedboat in a bass tracker😂. I know that's not the goal but 3rd is a heck of a lot closer than 18th, it will take time and I'm glad that it appears we're moving in the right direction!

This is in no way disrespecting OSU or our guys, more so saying that Cael is so far ahead of damn near everyone. One of the big questions in wrestling circles a month ago, before SVN got injured, was if PSU will break the all time scoring record at NCAAs this year...
Same could be said about OSU and Iowa from their past reigns. Things have a way of leveling out. We have an unbelievable legacy and support. We have a great culture. Who knows how Penn state would have been if they didn’t have Ruth and Taylor. They would still be good, of course, but who to say that can’t be us in a few years. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: BigDogsGottaEat
Definitely not saying it can't be us, I damn sure hope it is! I was just saying much like Jay, it'll be a progression, we aren't going from 18th to 1st, and progress should be the goal right now. May have not made my point well though.

Definitely not saying it can't be us, I damn sure hope it is! I was just saying much like Jay, it'll be a progression, we aren't going from 18th to 1st, and progress should be the goal right now. May have not made my point well though.
I mean, PSU did it in 2 years. Awful in ‘09. Top 10 in ‘10. Champs in ‘11

Last edited:
Reactions: BigDogsGottaEat
I do agree, sorry. I’m pretty excited by the direction of OSU. It’s hard to believe we have been down so much the past few years but I feel we are turning the corner. Go pokes.

100% accurate and I completely agree with you. The truth sometimes offends people and then you get called names or people think you are being mean.

100% accurate and I completely agree with you. The truth sometimes offends people and then you get called names or people think you are being mean.
Donald Trump Republicans GIF by Election 2016

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT