ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting News?

The new regime is also heading in the wrong direction. All five of them Oklahoma kids would be workout partners.
That’s a little premature and after the last two years of completely shitting the Freakin bed when it matters most not a single OSU fan, Coach or wrestler should being calling any kid a workout partner at this point.

Last edited:
We do need to get someone like Merrill because our 2024 class is sad. Otherwise we need to get from the portal. As has been mentioned 2025 is very important if we are to be a challenger especially getting our Oklahoma potential star, Lockett. Our focus should be top high school recruits and then portal to fill in needs.
The 2024 class is not overly important except for Merrill

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
You can call it what you want workout partner’s back ups that’s no disrespect. This is the facts
Maybe the staff hasn't been quite as good as you think at evaluating starters vs backups. Cam Steed for example.

Here are some other facts...

In the 2020 & 2021 recruiting classes, 8 wrestlers were in the top 15 overall at the time they committed. 5 of them were top 10, 3 others were ranked 11-15. Of those 8 wrestlers, 1 was a champ, another is an AA, 3 have started but not made the R12, and 3 never cracked the lineup.

Maybe the staff hasn't been quite as good as you think at evaluating starters vs backups. Cam Steed for example.

In the 2020 & 2021 recruiting classes, 8 wrestlers were in the top 15 overall at the time they committed. 5 of them were top 10, 3 others were ranked 11-15. Of those 8 wrestlers, 1 was a champ, another is an AA, 3 have started but not made the R12, and 3 never cracked the lineup.
What’s your point?

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
I think what Blair is saying that 4th place at the Scuffle and some real good wins (best win probably was against Cael Carlson who was 10-7 last year), does not equate into a National Title for the team. Gotta respect brutal honesty!
I respond to the wrong comment. The previous said that he didn’t have a college win.

What is going on at Columbia? I see three of their better wrestlers entered the transfer portal. Wolak, Babin, and Ogunsanya.

Have I missed something with cam steed not sure, but don’t think he has one college win on his career list
He had an excellent true freshman year. He was ranked #107 coming out of HS and one of his wins was over Hunter Garvin, #9 in the same class.

He also looked good in freestyle. You're pretty high on Joe Sealey, right? Steed was winning 2-0 at the Junior Open before injury defaulting. He gets hurt a lot, so that's a concern. He defaulted to Wyatt at the Scuffle too. I've seen him get dinged up in a few other matches as well.

The 2020 and 2021 classes are odd cases across the board. There have only been 14 All-Americans from those two classes in the last two tournaments. The covid year has held up the natural attrition that usually happens at the top. Candidly it's why I think Carroll should redshirt this season, as heavyweight has 6 or 7 returning All-Americans in the weight and while I have full confidence that he is good enough to get on the podium, if you let those returning All-Americans slough off you have a higher likelihood in 2025 and in the future. It's also why I think you roll with Thompson at 174 this season as a true freshman, because that weight class lost 4 AAs to graduation and another 2 to weight changes.

Again you shouldn't let the lack of success from previous classes cloud your judgement on the incoming class and future classes. You still need to go get the best guys possible, regardless of where they're from. The 2020 class has been disappointing, but pulling in the #1 class again in 2023 is huge and I'm under the impression that we should be getting great news on 2024 and 2025 soon that should make both classes top 5 again.

I hope that the kids from Oklahoma that are going to OU have a ton of success and I'm glad that the new staff there are trying to mend bridges locally. I hate OU as much as the next good Poke fan... but if Oklahoma kids see a path to success there then it will help raise the tide of talent in the state, and OSU will continue to get first pick of the best kids in the state.

I know Coach Smith has the coaching clinics, but are there many other outreaches to high school wrestling? How many ex-Cowboy wrestlers are high school wrestling coaches?

I know Coach Smith has the coaching clinics, but are there many other outreaches to high school wrestling? How many ex-Cowboy wrestlers are high school wrestling coaches?
Gfeller is going to be coaching part time back at Heritage Hall is what I heard. Joe is now coach in Tulsa at RAW. Hardell is still affiliated with OWA. I know Crutchmer was working with DC at Gilroy, CA, but not sure if he's working with any HS's now that he's training with Fortis in Dallas. I think Johny Hendricks still has his wrestling academy down around Fort Worth. And probably lots more that are doing the club/academy thing, but I don't know about being HS coaches specifically...

Reactions: osu2082 and Dobsie
Gfeller is going to be coaching part time back at Heritage Hall is what I heard. Joe is now coach in Tulsa at RAW. Hardell is still affiliated with OWA. I know Crutchmer was working with DC at Gilroy, CA, but not sure if he's working with any HS's now that he's training with Fortis in Dallas. I think Johny Hendricks still has his wrestling academy down around Fort Worth. And probably lots more that are doing the club/academy thing, but I don't know about being HS coaches specifically...

Crutchmer and Piccininni are working with Rockwall High School, who has built a pretty nice program and has middle school teams. Collica does some stuff in North Texas as well.

Nick Purler has an academy in the St. Louis area and I'm pretty sure Alan Fried has something in the Cleveland, Ohio area. Josh Kindig has an academy in Northeast Pennsylvania. John Morrison has an academy outside Chicago with Andrew Howe.

Reactions: Dobsie
The 2020 and 2021 classes are odd cases across the board. There have only been 14 All-Americans from those two classes in the last two tournaments. The covid year has held up the natural attrition that usually happens at the top. Candidly it's why I think Carroll should redshirt this season, as heavyweight has 6 or 7 returning All-Americans in the weight and while I have full confidence that he is good enough to get on the podium, if you let those returning All-Americans slough off you have a higher likelihood in 2025 and in the future. It's also why I think you roll with Thompson at 174 this season as a true freshman, because that weight class lost 4 AAs to graduation and another 2 to weight changes.

Again you shouldn't let the lack of success from previous classes cloud your judgement on the incoming class and future classes. You still need to go get the best guys possible, regardless of where they're from. The 2020 class has been disappointing, but pulling in the #1 class again in 2023 is huge and I'm under the impression that we should be getting great news on 2024 and 2025 soon that should make both classes top 5 again.

I hope that the kids from Oklahoma that are going to OU have a ton of success and I'm glad that the new staff there are trying to mend bridges locally. I hate OU as much as the next good Poke fan... but if Oklahoma kids see a path to success there then it will help raise the tide of talent in the state, and OSU will continue to get first pick of the best kids in the state.
They were talking about those lack luster recruiting years on flowrestling.

Covid year was a killer to young teams and a God send to mature teams. Nothing like having 24 year olds beating up on 18 year olds.

Saw where JJ just committed. Talented kid but another in the log jam at 133-141.

Good stuff! Agree on Carroll even more so if Gable returns.

Wonder if this was mutual

I think it was. Most of the talk and scuttle from after the NCAA’s and on was that he was done and the coaches were planning and recruiting for that.

He has struggled here (in terms of his pedigree and first year) and probably needs a fresh start if he wants to give it another go.

Reactions: JAY45
Kind of hard for me to see Wittlake move on as I really thought he showed flashes of NC wrestling in his early years at OSU. Here is a breakdown of Travis Wittlake at OSU through the years.

2019 RSFR) 16-2

2020 FR) 28-2 Only losses came from #5 Griffith and #2 Marinelli. BIG 12 Champ. NCAA's cancelled due to Covid. He probably would have AA this year.

2021 SO) 22-3, Placed either 2nd or 3rd at Big 12's and placed 4th at NCAA's.

2022 JR) 9-7 Started the season off well but blew out his knee sometime in late Jan or early Feb against either UNI or SDSU. I cant remember which match it was, but he went to Big 12's and went 0-2.

2023 SR) 20-7 Bumped up to 184 and didn't seem like his old self. Wrestled decent at the weight, but probably not the best fit weight wise for him as he seem a slower and over powered on bottom at times. I was never a fan of this move as I didn't think his style would fit well, but my opinion doesn't matter.

Would of liked to see him come back for his final year. He could of fit in the lineup at 174 and have Plott bump to 184 which will likely happen anyway this year and let Thompson RS. I'm guessing he will probably transfer to Oregon St. Wish him the best, but I hate to see a situation like this where a guy is in the program for 5 years and still has AA potential with a spot available to move on. Wondering if he felt like he had just reach his full potential at OSU and needed a fresh start somewhere new.

Kind of hard for me to see Wittlake move on as I really thought he showed flashes of NC wrestling in his early years at OSU. Here is a breakdown of Travis Wittlake at OSU through the years.

2019 RSFR) 16-2

2020 FR) 28-2 Only losses came from #5 Griffith and #2 Marinelli. BIG 12 Champ. NCAA's cancelled due to Covid. He probably would have AA this year.

2021 SO) 22-3, Placed either 2nd or 3rd at Big 12's and placed 4th at NCAA's.

2022 JR) 9-7 Started the season off well but blew out his knee sometime in late Jan or early Feb against either UNI or SDSU. I cant remember which match it was, but he went to Big 12's and went 0-2.

2023 SR) 20-7 Bumped up to 184 and didn't seem like his old self. Wrestled decent at the weight, but probably not the best fit weight wise for him as he seem a slower and over powered on bottom at times. I was never a fan of this move as I didn't think his style would fit well, but my opinion doesn't matter.

Would of liked to see him come back for his final year. He could of fit in the lineup at 174 and have Plott bump to 184 which will likely happen anyway this year and let Thompson RS. I'm guessing he will probably transfer to Oregon St. Wish him the best, but I hate to see a situation like this where a guy is in the program for 5 years and still has AA potential with a spot available to move on. Wondering if he felt like he had just reach his full potential at OSU and needed a fresh start somewhere new.

such a fine line in D1 wrestling

wish travis well this season.

I don't see "reached full potential and needs a fresh start" as his reason. He's graduate level now, so chances are good he's transferring to wherever he wants to do his graduate studies and is wrestling as a way to help pay for that. Dude seemed to like living in Stillwater and had higher hopes than his last couple of NCAA results showed. Nobody was happy to step on the mat with him, that's for sure. We'll wish him well as long as he's not wrestling us :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT