ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting News?

Just got home from the dual. It was lonely there except for the fans and parents who came with the teams, probably about 1,000 fans. The championship dual was close and very exciting with Edmond North winning with a pin at 285 with final score 33-31.
Here are the results:
106 Aidan Thomas MD Gordon 1-3 and Stw leads 4-0,
113 Beric Jordan had a fall and had 5 takedowns and 2 back points before turning Hackbart for the fall. STW 10-0
120. Belford Ed North pinned Stockton Allen Stw in 2nd period. STW 10 Ednorth 6.
126 Probably the biggest turning point of the match as Sam Smith had a takedown in the first, reverse in the second period and another takedown in the 2nd and was leading 6-3 with the other Belford taking down in the 3rd. Belford reversed him and then pinned him to give Edmond North a 12-10 lead. All two days STW wrestles all their weights up through 165 so Sam was up to 126 and was under-sized.
132 JJ Rogers McComas picked up a hard fought 2-1 sub over Hunter Hollingsworth with no takdowns in the match. He won by virtue of an escape and a locked hands call in the 2nd period.
138 Cael Hughes won by regular decision 7-2 over Joseph Jeteer(This was his only regular dec. of the tournament and in the end contributed to the ED North team win. Stillwater 13-12 team score.
144 Michael Bornean STW lost a 16-5 major decision to Layton Schneiderand team score 16-13 EDnorth.
150 Cody Routledge won 5-2 dec. over Voinovich. Routledge just two strong for Voinovich despite most of the legitimate shots being made by Karl.He just could not get past the strength of the EDNorth wrestler team Score EDNorth 19-13.
157 Lockett goes up to this weight and garners a 2nd period fall making the team score tied at 19-19.
165 Landon Somer STW wrestling up at 165 dec. Lucas 8-3.
175 McCollum of EDNorth fall over Brown of Stillwater
190 AJ Heeg has a quick fall over Villalobos of EDNorth
215 Stillwater goes into this match needing a win at the last wo weights but Oscar Williams wins a regular decision over Johnson of STW.
285 Stillwater loses by fall at Heavy weight to make the final score 33-31.
It was a great match and either side could have won it. I really enjoyed the tournament and look forward to seeing the 2nd annual next year with better attendance.Delbarton of NJ and Powsay were wrestling for 3rd and it was close but I failed to see the final result.

And money to buy what was at one time, I think, the numbers 1, 2 and 3 P4P recruits. Straight cash homey.
Circling back to the discussion about NIL and the impact on recruiting...

There's a post on the Ohio St board by someone who is extremely well connected to their program. He commented on Ohio St going after Suriano as a transfer. Said in the end, Ohio St's NIL sponsors would not match Michigan's NIL sponsors because they felt it was too much for a 1 year rental.

Basically confirms that sponsors are part of the process now.

Reactions: Okie_Pat
Was Boone ever a big fan of wrestling? Seems like that could have been a great relationship if this was 10 years ago. Would be great if there was someone like that even to a 1/10th of what he donated. It’s going to be hard to compete with B10 schools alum sponsors being that those universities historically have had such large enrollments with deep pockets. That’s why you have to get creative and work on building the RTC.

Really one of the major reasons I absolutely hate the NIL deal is because not everyone is on an equal playing field. But it seems like it’s here to stay.

Really one of the major reasons I absolutely hate the NIL deal is because not everyone is on an equal playing field. But it seems like it’s here to stay.
Yeah it’s one thing to reform the NCAAs archaic rules around amateurism and let athletes put their name on something or let them side hustle while in college. It’s another thing entirely to straight up pay them wads of cash beyond scholarships. Not commenting on right or wrong, but it does seem like NIL has gone several steps away from amateurism.

The last one has worked out great for us
Well I guess they should quit pulling them in then.

I mean you need to recruit to get the top guys on campus to have a chance. Just because the last #1 class hasn't won the team a title, doesn't mean you stop trying to get #1 classes.

Multiple #1 classes hasn't really worked out for Ohio State, NC State, or Cornell either if the measure is team titles.

Well in fairness, we lost AJ & Jakason Burks from the 2020 class, Anthony Ferrari from the 2022 class, and Montalvo from the 2018 class. Class rankings look different when you account for transfers.

One way to think about it is Carroll basically replaced AJ. And Heeg basically replaced Anthony Ferrari (Heeg may have come anyway, but he committed after the Ferrari fallout). So we need one more top recruit in the 2024 class to replace Angelo Ferrari. I'm not counting Beric Jordan because I think he was coming anyway. The rumors of him moving from Ohio to Oklahoma started back in April.

Reactions: DPJ
Well I guess they should quit pulling them in then.

I mean you need to recruit to get the top guys on campus to have a chance. Just because the last #1 class hasn't won the team a title, doesn't mean you stop trying to get #1 classes.

Multiple #1 classes hasn't really worked out for Ohio State, NC State, or Cornell either if the measure is team titles.
You are so full of shit it runs out every RTC info post you make.

I don’t think recruiting is the major issue, development certainly seems to be
Ok, but then the follow up question is why has development been an issue.

The prevailing opinion seems to be a lack of training partners (code word RTC), but I don't think it's quite that straight forward. Someone pointed out earlier that Trevor Mastro has Daton as a training partner. Not too bad. He also has Zo, the RTC assistant coach. Zo is a freestyle guy, so he won't help on the mat but he's terrific in neutral. And GWH is in the room now also. With those 3, one would expect Mastro to be jumping levels.

I think if we look at our recruits over last 10 years (say top 40ish guys), we'll probably see something like the following:
- injury
- off the mat issues (partying)
- wrestled the wrong weight class
- we missed on the recruit evaluation
- lack of training partners
- other? (training methods, coaching staff...)

Last thing, PSU isn't immune to guys not developing. I've mentioned guys like Andrew Alton, Jimmy Gulibon, Mason Manville, Berge, Joe Lee, Beard, and Seth Nevills not meeting expectations. Here's another - Drew Hildebrandt. He was a returning AA that transferred in, had Gilman as a partner (like RBY) and didn't place last year. But PSU is able to absorb it because they continue to get so many top recruits and transfers.

You are so full of shit it runs out every RTC info post you make.

You can disagree with him or his optimism but no need to be a dick.

Lee is plugged in and gets good info. Just because it doesn’t happen doesn’t mean he is lying.

One of our new FR told me in April that the staff said they were trying hard to bring in two senior level wrestlers to the RTC this summer. It hasn’t happened but doesn’t mean they were lying or haven’t tried.

You can disagree with him or his optimism but no need to be a dick.

Lee is plugged in and gets good info. Just because it doesn’t happen doesn’t mean he is lying.

One of our new FR told me in April that the staff said they were trying hard to bring in two senior level wrestlers to the RTC this summer. It hasn’t happened but doesn’t mean they were lying or haven’t tried.
@osu2082 I'm gonna send you a private message (wrestling related) it might be common knowledge, IDK?

Reactions: osu2082
I'm going to take a wild guess here and say some people don't know osudog. Cause if they did, some of these remarks wouldn't be flying around quite so freely. They'd also realize his knowledge of the wrestling program, and OSU athletics in general, is better than the vast majority on this board.

Ahh, the internet.

Jan26th will be my 20 year mark for this site. But you want have to see me anymore after that. Good bye great people

Jan26th will be my 20 year mark for this site. But you want have to see me anymore after that. Good bye great people
Hope you take into consideration that there are a lot of people frustrated with the direction of our program and reconsider. Wrestling is different than every other collegiate sport in that most fans unite for the good of the sport as we understand the pressures the sport faces from a funding standpoint. Knowledgeable posters are hard to find. Many of us do in fact value information related to our program.

That’s silly. You were a bit of dick and caught a little flack. Nothing to get to upset about.

This is a fun place to discuss OSU sports and wrestling here. I think everyone realizes and is on board that changes need to be made within our program and are hopeful those things can and will happen.

Still probably the most civil board that I frequent. The internet is a mannerless place, lol. We all want the same thing here - to absolutely demolish every wrestler in competition that isn’t associated with OKstate. :)

Reactions: soccer8352
Im just going to increase my donation to Josh for what I pay here yearly . OSU baseball is on a mission to get better quickly.

Way harder to win one in baseball but yeah that was an easy Single leg for you . Josh made some changes this off season on approach and Rob also. We will see what happens but I’m glad they made changes instead of doing the same shit.

Way harder to win one in baseball but yeah that was an easy Single leg for you . Josh made some changes this off season on approach and Rob also. We will see what happens but I’m glad they made changes instead of doing the same shit.

Great to hear. What were the changes?

Honest question. What makes you think it’s easier to win at wrestling than baseball ? I feel like if anybody has done a good coaching job at OSU it’s coach G turning are softball team into a powerhouse.

78 D1 wrestling programs. 299 D1 baseball programs
Yes . How many more baseball players are there than wrestlers? Through out the history of wrestling there are teams that have dynasty type runs . We are lucky to have had some at Oklahoma State and history usually will repeat itself.

Does that include a new batting coach and someone else calling pitches?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT