ADVERTISEMENT

PSU heavy Nevills is hurt.

mike tognetti

All-American
Jan 27, 2012
and they have no backup. Maybe Wetherford can move up to heavy, after all he can crush a watermelon.

Last edited:
That's unfortunate for him, hopefully nothing serious. He was injured for most of last year as well. I wonder if it's a new injury or carry over from last year.

Last edited:
I know that two of them were seniors. Tough loss for Penn State and Nevills. Hard to count on points from a true freshmen heavyweight, but he was surely going to be competitive.

I know that two of them were seniors. Tough loss for Penn State and Nevills. Hard to count on points from a true freshmen heavyweight, but he was surely going to be competitive.
If he is out it will be a huge loss. He is a rsfr and he beat two guys ranked in the preseason top 10 for this year during his true freshman season. Most people think he has a real good chance to AA this year. They announced that a 2x pa champ at 195 who is a true freshman walk on for the FB team is going to join the room. That doesn't sound like good news for Nevills, but for his sake hopefully it is just for insurance or for early season healing time. Their backup 197 is out with injury until second semester as well. While this might help OSU with a team title, I hate to see any of these kids get hurt. I don't like it in any sport, but especially not in wrestling. I am a huge fan of the sport and the dedication and sacrifice these kids make.

If he is out it will be a huge loss. He is a rsfr and he beat two guys ranked in the preseason top 10 for this year during his true freshman season. Most people think he has a real good chance to AA this year. They announced that a 2x pa champ at 195 who is a true freshman walk on for the FB team is going to join the room. That doesn't sound like good news for Nevills, but for his sake hopefully it is just for insurance or for early season healing time. Their backup 197 is out with injury until second semester as well. While this might help OSU with a team title, I hate to see any of these kids get hurt. I don't like it in any sport, but especially not in wrestling. I am a huge fan of the sport and the dedication and sacrifice these kids make.
April glad you posted that you hated to see any wrestler hurt, or they going to group you with me! Lol, I haven't had this much fun in over a week. Tanya Harding is related to me and I will do anything for the OSU program. Anybody has a big sludge hammer I can borrow?

Didn't remember two were seniors. Just looked at their roster and they only show two wrestlers above 184. That seems like a big risk.

April glad you posted that you hated to see any wrestler hurt, or they going to group you with me! Lol, I haven't had this much fun in over a week. Tanya Harding is related to me and I will do anything for the OSU program. Anybody has a big sludge hammer I can borrow?
I don't mind getting grouped with you. It does seem like you are having a doozie of a time on the other boards. One person has even called for you to be banned from BWI.

I don't mind getting grouped with you. It does seem like you are having a doozie of a time on the other boards. One person has even called for you to be banned from BWI.
Boy, people have gotten soft in the last 20 years. It's amazing what can happen when you get on another board and post something. I'm having a good time though it all. I still don't see what got a few people in a up roar. Now, I'm putting the poor kid down while he's hurt, which I was only posting the stuff that came from his own board. Just to make sure you know, if Nevills don't wrestle this year PSU will have a harder time of winning Nationals. I let the cat out of the bag on this matter, I'm sure nobody thought about that! lol Today is my birthday too, nothing better then getting a few zingers on the opposing board, April you going to OCO?

Flo just posted that Nick could be out all season with injury, and they also mentioned that title hopes will be harder now. Thanks Flo for posting what I have been saying, now you can get some heat for picking on the young man.

Boy, people have gotten soft in the last 20 years. It's amazing what can happen when you get on another board and post something. I'm having a good time though it all. I still don't see what got a few people in a up roar. Now, I'm putting the poor kid down while he's hurt, which I was only posting the stuff that came from his own board. Just to make sure you know, if Nevills don't wrestle this year PSU will have a harder time of winning Nationals. I let the cat out of the bag on this matter, I'm sure nobody thought about that! lol Today is my birthday too, nothing better then getting a few zingers on the opposing board, April you going to OCO?
Happy birthday! I doubt I will be there, kids keep me pretty busy on the weekends, especially Halloween weekend.

Penn State had two heavyweights that were very competitive last year. Lawson finished 6th last year and I think the other was Gingrich. I think they split time, but both were seniors.

Too bad for Nevills, He can redshirt this year (I think he is a true freshman) and should be able to fully recover so that will make them tough for years, but they will not have any points this year.

Penn State had two heavyweights that were very competitive last year. Lawson finished 6th last year and I think the other was Gingrich. I think they split time, but both were seniors.

Too bad for Nevills, He can redshirt this year (I think he is a true freshman) and should be able to fully recover so that will make them tough for years, but they will not have any points this year.

Pretty sure he red shirted last year. He is definitely not a true freshman.

He shirted last year. That is where he got all the hype. He defeated both shaw and djournette at the scuffle. Lost to Marsden I believe 11-3, that is the match he injured his foot which kept him out the rest of the year.

Orangebomber you are correct, he is a redshirt freshman, he was also injuried some last season too. PSU is looking everywhere for a 197 and HWY, pulling a kid off the football team to come fill the 197 spot. Although, he is a 2x state placer or champion, and I can't think of his name, but Cael sure has some work to do.

Flo just posted that Nick could be out all season with injury, and they also mentioned that title hopes will be harder now. Thanks Flo for posting what I have been saying, now you can get some heat for picking on the young man.
We all have to live injuries as
Orangebomber you are correct, he is a redshirt freshman, he was also injuried some last season too. PSU is looking everywhere for a 197 and HWY, pulling a kid off the football team to come fill the 197 spot. Although, he is a 2x state placer or champion, and I can't think of his name, but Cael sure has some work to do.
I am not going to ever say I am glad when a young wrestler gets hurt but I also am not going to cry crocodile tears either. The team race this year is extremely close and Penn State is in the lead but only slightly. This will hurt their chances but they will be strong even without a heavyweight. Nevills may have been good but in my way of thinking he was being over-hyped without that much of a track record. He may have turned out better than expected but just based on what he has done I do not think he should have been ranked until he had a few collegiate wins. So far his ranking has to be mainly based on his hype coming out of California.

It sounds like he may get a medical redshirt with this, but he should be a junior by the time he wrestles a match for Penn State. Tough break for Nevills and Penn State. Very unlikely that Cael can coach up an unknown to even get to Madison Square Garden much less score an points. I had Nevills penciled in to get on the podium so this is a minor blow to Penn State's chances. I doubt this moves them down much in most polls and they are probably still the favorite, but this could slightly help our team chances.

So much is dependent on how CM and Collica perform and all of our previous AA have to step up and finish at or better than before.

It sounds like he may get a medical redshirt with this, but he should be a junior by the time he wrestles a match for Penn State. Tough break for Nevills and Penn State. Very unlikely that Cael can coach up an unknown to even get to Madison Square Garden much less score an points. I had Nevills penciled in to get on the podium so this is a minor blow to Penn State's chances. I doubt this moves them down much in most polls and they are probably still the favorite, but this could slightly help our team chances.

So much is dependent on how CM and Collica perform and all of our previous AA have to step up and finish at or better than before.
Jan Johnson isn't exactly an unknown, he was ranked in the top 40 his senior year.

I think Cael is recruiting a Russian......related to the freshman OSU wrestler who was in Flo's 1st ranking of the year!!;)

also we have gotten 2 current weights for Mr. Johnson, one at 216 and 1 at 230......hope it's the 230.

Jan Johnson isn't exactly an unknown, he was ranked in the top 40 his senior year.
top forty at what weight? I say he is an unknown commodity at heavyweight. Did he decide to wrestle after Nevills was injured or has he been in the room since practice started?

top forty at what weight? I say he is an unknown commodity at heavyweight. Did he decide to wrestle after Nevills was injured or has he been in the room since practice started?
Top 40 overall, I agree his value is an unknown. He wrestled 195 last year and is going to be on the smaller side for the weight. Plus he is a true freshman, the drop off from Nevills will be significant. I was just pointing out that he was very talented. Obviously he has a serious desire to play football considering he is a walk on and he could have received money for wrestling.

We all have to live injuries as

I am not going to ever say I am glad when a young wrestler gets hurt but I also am not going to cry crocodile tears either. The team race this year is extremely close and Penn State is in the lead but only slightly. This will hurt their chances but they will be strong even without a heavyweight. Nevills may have been good but in my way of thinking he was being over-hyped without that much of a track record. He may have turned out better than expected but just based on what he has done I do not think he should have been ranked until he had a few collegiate wins. So far his ranking has to be mainly based on his hype coming out of California.
I think his ranking is based more on his redshirt year this past season and less on what he did in high school. He has wins over some guys that are currently ranked.

we got no sympathy when Z was hurt and neither will PSU. I think PSU is still the favorite. Nevills wasn't going to be a factor come March anyway. Now it might cause them to lose a couple of duals to Iowa, Ohio State, Michigan or us but not the Nationals.
We have to take the title from PSU and want it more than they do. We need to and can jump some spots at 125, 149, 157, 285 while still doing as well as expected at 141, 165 and 174. The only way PSU loses is if a few of our guys step up big which I think is a good possibility.

At 195. Currently he is going to be a 210-215 HW for them.

Going from an AA contender to no points in March is a major blow for them.

I know, I mentioned that later. There are reports that is up to 230.

He weighed in at fall camp at 216 and usually guys lose a little weight through camp and definately durring the season.

I would be very surprised to see him wrestle over 220 this year.

In any event this likely means a 0 for PSU this year at HW. It would be hard for ever the most ardent PSU to see anything different.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT