ADVERTISEMENT

Proposing new taxes... 70%?

Who said anything about thumbs and proof salaries?

Oh the federal government is going to fork over the money for all tuition and fees without a peep of how it is spent and no cap on what can be spent. Are you going into Socrates mode now?

And ultimately losing long term.

On the very first day of my MBA program we spent an hour going over expected return on investment (cost) at several payback windows of time.

How many Gender Studies (that peer group) programs do the same?
And again if you have single payer the cost to the government per marginal gender study major is going to be much less than an engineering student. Cost is not the same as price.

And again if you have single payer the cost to the government per marginal gender study major is going to be much less than an engineering student. Cost is not the same as price.

I guess I'm simply not on board with free public schooling.

There's a measure of "earn it," not measured in dollars, that figures into the ultimate value of the final product.

Now, if you get on here an articulate a need for a massive spending to modernize K-12 schools, bring in better teaching talent, presumably by raising incomes and applying more rigorous accountability, and smoothing resource allocation via grants, then I'd trip all over myself helping you make the case.

Now, if you get on here an articulate a need for a massive spending to modernize K-12 schools, bring in better teaching talent, presumably by raising incomes and applying more rigorous accountability, and smoothing resource allocation via grants, then I'd trip all over myself helping you make the case.

Exactly. This age group needs federal money before anybody else. Spend a week at jenks and then a week in a Baltimore public school.

Exactly. This age group needs federal money before anybody else. Spend a week at jenks and then a week in a Baltimore public school.
Alright guys you got me here. I'm all for increasing federal grants to k-12 and making them contingent on all funding school funding being distributed by the state government on a per pupil basis.

But these things aren't mutually exclusive.

Alright guys you got me here. I'm all for increasing federal grants to k-12 and making them contingent on all funding school funding being distributed by the state government on a per pupil basis.

But these things aren't mutually exclusive.

K-12 is the standardization of potential and opportunity.

After that, not so much.

Reactions: HighStickHarry
I'd be willing to lean in favor of "free" public university schooling by upping the signing bonus (or some form of monetary transfer) by committing to serve in the military for a period of time.

I'm not seeing all the positive externalities that you are for several unemployable degree programs. But spend 2-4 years in the service (at that higher $ figure), and I imagine I could see a few.

Less fat people for starters.

I'd be willing to lean in favor of "free" public university schooling by upping the signing bonus (or some form of monetary transfer) by committing to serve in the military for a period of time.

I'm not seeing all the positive externalities that you are for several unemployable degree programs. But spend 2-4 years in the service (at that higher $ figure), and I imagine I could see a few.

Less fat people for starters.
I've had English major administrive assistants and high school graduate admin assts and I can promise there is a vast difference.

I've had English major administrive assistants and high school graduate admin assts and I can promise there is a vast difference.

That example is unlike you, Pilt.

I'd imagine an English major Admin Assistant who'd been through basic and a 2 year stint of military life would rock your world then.

Just saying any college degree teaches skills like communication organization and time management that make people more productive members of society

That could easily be moved to high school if we had the balls of East Asian countries.

Reactions: poke2001
Would love to have a competing vision for American educational reform from the GOP beyond "break the teacher unions"
Agreed. But in fairness to Republicans, the two national teacher's unions have become little more than Super PACs for Democrats. The tens of millions they spend on political campaigns might be better used advocating for the teachers who pay dues for representation.

Agreed. But in fairness to Republicans, the two national teacher's unions have become little more than Super PACs for Democrats. The tens of millions they spend on political campaigns might be better used advocating for the teachers who pay dues for representation.
Political spending is a pretty reasonable expenditure for a public employee union imho

Political spending is a pretty reasonable expenditure for a public employee union imho
When the overwhelming majority is to one political party, opposition to that union from the other political party is also a reasonable reaction.

On that topic, I'm going to guess you aren't a union member. There's a lot of dues paying union members that disagree with you.

When the overwhelming majority is to one political party, opposition to that union from the other political party is also a reasonable reaction.

On that topic, I'm going to guess you aren't a union member. There's a lot of dues paying union members that disagree with you.
Kind of a chicken or egg thing

Same public colleges we have now.

The ones that have raised tuition costs at 4x-8x the rate of inflation for the past 20 years and are already producing more college grads than we can actually provide cost effective jobs for? With some skin in the game, at least there are a few (not many) market brakes for managing tuition costs. I can't imagine what these college costs would look like with Rich Uncle Sam footing every bill and zero motivation to be cost-efficient.

Yea, one of them is straddled with 40k in worthless debt and doesn't have a choice but to be a slave to the grindstone. The other has freedom from debt and can tell you to go F yourself if he/she isn't happy with the work environment.

Reactions: poke2001
The ones that have raised tuition costs at 4x-8x the rate of inflation for the past 20 years and are already producing more college grads than we can actually provide cost effective jobs for? With some skin in the game, at least there are a few (not many) market brakes for managing tuition costs. I can't imagine what these college costs would look like with Rich Uncle Sam footing every bill and zero motivation to be cost-efficient.
What if rich Uncle Sam conditions footing the bill on being cost effective?

Yea, one of them is straddled with 40k in worthless debt and doesn't have a choice but to be a slave to the grindstone. The other has freedom from debt and can tell you to go F yourself if he/she isn't happy with the work environment.

Which one has higher future earning potential in the same industry?

A lot more to do with soft skills than obsequiousness

A lot more to do with soft skills than obsequiousness

I understood your meaning. But are those skills worth the 40K investment? As a business own, would you spend 40K just for your soft-skill lacking, high school kid to get those few soft skills? And if so, then as a business owner why didn't you? Why do you expect the government to do that for you?

I understood your meaning. But are those skills worth the 40K investment? As a business own, would you spend 40K just for your soft-skill lacking, high school kid to get those few soft skills? And if so, then as a business owner why didn't you? Why do you expect the government to do that for you?
Because it doesn't cost 40k to give someone that type of education (confusing cost and price)
Absolutely I would pay for employees to get a college education if they agreed to work for me their whole career and their work didn't suffer while they were gaining that degree. (Hypothetical since I am not an employer)

Kind of a chicken or egg thing
Maybe.

Do you think those who pay dues to the NEA would support using that money to donate $900,000 to a group called America Works USA that has no information about what they are/do on their website and shares an address with a cafe in Washington DC if it were put to a vote? I'm betting they wouldn't.

Of course unions need to put money toward lobbying and advocating for the people they represent. But I doubt that the union leadership using union money as their personal political slush fund was what most of the people who pay the dues agreed to.

Maybe.

Do you think those who pay dues to the NEA would support using that money to donate $900,000 to a group called America Works USA that has no information about what they are/do on their website and shares an address with a cafe in Washington DC if it were put to a vote? I'm betting they wouldn't.

Of course unions need to put money toward lobbying and advocating for the people they represent. But I doubt that the union leadership using union money as their personal political slush fund was what most of the people who pay the dues agreed to.

This is total bullshit lol...

https://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/pacgave.php?cycle=2018&cmte=C00331694

Why do you always strive to look like a complete idiot? America Works USA and the America Works PAC that you linked are not the same entity. America Works USA is a nonprofit affiliate of the Democratic Governors Association.

If you don't like the facts, take it up with the NEA. They documented the $900,000 expenditure to America Works USA on page 288 of their Form LM-2 Labor Organization Annual Report they filed with the US Dept of Labor. Here's the link to the report. Go to page 288 or search "america works usa."

https://www.freetoteach.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/NEA-LM2-2018.pdf

When you're done with that, feel free to look at their expansive website www.americaworksusa.org.

When you're done with that, feel free to look up their address in Washington DC.

When you're done with that, Google America Works USA and see some of the reporting on it.

When you're done with all of that you should work on not being a dumbass.

Edited to throw in an LOL!

Last edited:
Why do you always strive to look like a complete idiot? America Works USA and the America Works PAC that you linked are not the same entity. America Works USA is a nonprofit affiliate of the Democratic Governors Association.

If you don't like the facts, take it up with the NEA. They documented the $900,000 expenditure to America Works USA on page 288 of their Form LM-2 Labor Organization Annual Report they filed with the US Dept of Labor. Here's the link to the report. Go to page 288 or search "america works usa."

https://www.freetoteach.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/NEA-LM2-2018.pdf

When you're done with that, feel free to look at their expansive website www.americaworksusa.org.

When you're done with that, feel free to look up their address in Washington DC.

When you're done with that, Google America Works USA and see some of the reporting on it.

When you're done with all of that you should work on not being a dumbass.

Edited to throw in an LOL!

Serious question...do you give this much thought to conservative groups? Not a chance lol

All college degrees are valuable, just some more than others.

If that’s the case, why are so many liberal arts graduates waiting tables or um ... manning a grill?

One of our huge issues with education is the thought process that everyone should go to college. If we ever really want to “fix” education there should be a track system starting in middle school and running into high school. College track and a vocational track. We prep kids through their high school years like everyone is going to college. I don’t know the exact numbers, but I promise you a good portion of high school graduates have no business even attempting college. I have some unique viewpoints into this because my wife is a teacher. There is nothing more worthless than a kid drug through a college prep that graduates with no trade and no business or desire to go to college.

Now say a kid goes and gets a tech degree in heat and air and as they mature and have success they decide a business degree would help them. Nothing prevents them from going back and getting that degree, but they can do it on the back of a needed and well compensated job.

We see examples all the time of kids with trades who are way more successful than kids who just “went to college”.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT