ADVERTISEMENT

OK State vs. Penn State

Hey guys, a bit off topic but what is up with Mike Tognelli? Beginning to worry.
Mr. Tognetti is spending more of his time shockingly at his business. He is a master electrician and is extremely busy. In addition he likes to spend more time on rival boards irritating them than on our own board. Do not worry about Tognetti as he does not worry about himself. Am I trying to say he is "clueless"?

125 Nick Piccinnini vs. Nick Soriano dec. by Soriano 0-3
133 Kaid Brock vs. George Carpenter MD by Brock 4-3
141 Dean Heil vs. Jimmy Gulibon dec.by Heil 7-3
149 Anthony Collica vs. Zain Retherford dec. by Retherford 7-6
157 Joe Smith vs. Jason Nolf MD by Nolf 7-10
165 Chandler Rogers vs. Vincenzo Joseph Dec. by Rogers 10-10
174 Kyle Crutchmer vs. Mark Hall dec. by Hall 10-13
184 Nolan Boyd vs. Bo Nickal dec. by Nickal 10-16
197 Preston Weigel vs. Matt McCutcheon dec. by Weigel 13-16
285 Tanner Allen vs. Nick Nevills fall by Nevills 13-22 *
* If Schafer wrestles we could possibly tie the match with a dec. over Nevills with each team having a major decision. I do not think he is going to wrestle. In addition Vincenzo Joseph by ranking is favored over Rogers so that would be my upset. Nickal on a roll could major Boyd. My best estimate however is 22-13 Penn State. I do not like this prediction at all but we would not be favored at 126,149,157,165,174,184 and heavy weight. That is 7 matches to 3 for Penn State.
It is almost time for a very important dual meet. I don't think we will win but I hope we indicate we will be able to wrestle with them and possibly win nationals. As with last year injuries have really hurt us and not many of our wrestlers have progressed to the penn. st. level yet. I hope this weekend changes my view but Nationals are way more important.
Here is how I see the match
125 Piccinini has not developed like I had hoped. I do not believe he has beaten a higher ranked wrestler all year. Suriano is at a different level and so I think Suriano wins by decision.
133 Kaid is a superstar but I am concerned at nationals for him not finishing matches strong and struggling in the down position. However he will dominate with a major but I would like to see better than that.
141 Mr. consistency Heil wins by decision. I would like to see a major but that would surprise me.
149 I really like Collica and he could take second in the nation but Retherford wins a decision because he just a bit better than Collica.
157 This is the weight that has disappointed all year because of injury and maybe weight problems and could wreck our chances at nationals. I hope Smith makes a miracle comeback but I have not seen anything yet to think that will happen. I think Nolf who is vicious will try to destroy Smith. I see Nolf winning by a major. I would see a tech fall but I think the Smith toughness will not allow that. By the way I am so glad Martinez beat Nolf last year.
165. This could be a great match and we could upset here. Rogers is unpredictable and sometimes wrestles poorly. Joseph if more athletic and more consistent. I hope that I am wrong but Joseph by decision.
174. Crutchmer has not developed since his sophomore year. This year has been disappointing and his match at the SS with Hall seemed to indicate he really did not wrestle to win. Crutchmer has the ability and strength to wrestle with anyone but does he have the mental toughness? Have to go with Hall by decision.
184 Nolan Boyd has done better than I ever thought he would and so you have to applaud him. I f he wrestled smart and sharp he can win but Nickel has more talent and so I have to pick him by decision.
197. I don't know about Weigel since he was Injured but he is bigger and stronger than McCutcheon
and so I will pick Weigel by decision. He will have to wrestle smart and tough to win though because the Penn. st wrestler is smart and tough.
HWT Here is the guy who has had the best year of all of our wrestlers. If healthy I think he can wrestle with Nevill but if the match goes as I think it will then we will be out of it and so he should not wrestle because we need him at nationals to do well. Allen would get pinned.
Nationals is what is important and I hope we wrestle well and win but at least demonstrate we can beat them at Nationals. So it would be 25 to 10 but I hope we get one or two upsets and then wrestle Schaeffer and we could win the dual. Again we need Smith to be 100% at Nationals. Also we need at this stage of the season to begin upsetting others and not getting upset ourselves. These are just my thoughts on Cowboy wrestling at this time.

Reactions: oberebo
If Schafer is dinged up, why would you wrestle him under any circumstances? This dual meet does not matter in the scheme of things. Why risk anything? As you say, nationals is the prize.

If Schafer is dinged up, why would you wrestle him under any circumstances? This dual meet does not matter in the scheme of things. Why risk anything? As you say, nationals is the prize.

Because John Smith isn't a pussy? If the dual is dual is within reach for OSU and Schafer is anywhere close to healthy, I bet he wrestles. John Smith cares about advancing the sport of wrestling; in front of the largest crowd in state history, he'll want to put on a show for the fans (not just OSU fans).

Yeah, we got our butts kicked not surprising to lose, but to go out without a real fight was disheartening.

I will say that I thought Collica did his best but got dicked over by Retherfird's "wrestling". Should be an interesting re-match at nationals.

Yeah, we got our butts kicked not surprising to lose, but to go out without a real fight was disheartening.

I will say that I thought Collica did his best but got dicked over by Retherfird's "wrestling". Should be an interesting re-match at nationals.

This might be through my orange colored glasses but I done recall Retherford taking a shot.

As good as penn state is right now they will be so much better in 2018 and 2019 . This could have easily ended up 30 - 7 or even 36 - 4 , it appeared heil was pinned. Totally puzzled with retherford stalling call , still shaking my head , haggerty officiating was sub par.

As good as penn state is right now they will be so much better in 2018 and 2019 . This could have easily ended up 30 - 7 or even 36 - 4 , it appeared heil was pinned. Totally puzzled with retherford stalling call , still shaking my head , haggerty officiating was sub par.
Uhhh, he was stalling. Was fortunate not to have gotten another.

we were thrashed by a superior team. I was embarrassed by the boos that greeted the Penn State wrestlers. We can do better than we showed today but on this day with the largest crowd in the history of GIA we were less than adequate. Apparently Rex and Roger indicated there were several wrestlers in the running for the "wrestler of the dual".. How?" The defending National champion at 141 appeared to be pinned and had to hang on for dear life. Kaid Brock came out strong against a 1-11 opponent and then was out scored by this opponent in the 3rd period, something that has happened to him in the past. Injury and inability to practice hard has made Joe Smith a mere shadow of his former self. We should have wrestled Davey Dolan. Chandler Rogers did not have a good match but Vincenzo Joseph was the reason for that. Nolan Boyd simply does not match up with Bo Nickal but few if any do. Weigel apparently ran out of gas and allowed two takedowns in the third period after their 197 pounder wisely did not take down against him. There is really no reason at this stage of the season for Brock and Weigel to "gas out" in the third period. We could not wrestle Schafer due to his broken toe but He would have and will handle Nevills if they meet at Nationals. I know you can not give awards to athletes for losing but I would have given the wrestler of the dual award to Anthony Collica and Kyle Crutchmer. They both lost close matches to outstanding wrestlers and they both looked lung healthy in the 3rd period where both fought hard for victory. They did not win but they were the only bright spots in an otherwise very disappointing dual. Harley, I agree with everything you are about to post on this match. However, I have not given up on this team. Even with this pounding we are still capable of some outstanding performances at Big 12 and Nationals but we can not wrestle the way we did yesterday and expect to win.
LETS GO POKES!!!

Mr. Tognetti is spending more of his time shockingly at his business. He is a master electrician and is extremely busy. In addition he likes to spend more time on rival boards irritating them than on our own board. Do not worry about Tognetti as he does not worry about himself. Am I trying to say he is "clueless"?
Thanks glad he is fine. He still owes me a picture on a bet he lost in March.

Yep, still wrong.

You need to order yourself a copy of this. . .

51cyOuR-jXL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Reactions: pafootballguy
we were thrashed by a superior team. I was embarrassed by the boos that greeted the Penn State wrestlers. We can do better than we showed today but on this day with the largest crowd in the history of GIA we were less than adequate. Apparently Rex and Roger indicated there were several wrestlers in the running for the "wrestler of the dual".. How?" The defending National champion at 141 appeared to be pinned and had to hang on for dear life. Kaid Brock came out strong against a 1-11 opponent and then was out scored by this opponent in the 3rd period, something that has happened to him in the past. Injury and inability to practice hard has made Joe Smith a mere shadow of his former self. We should have wrestled Davey Dolan. Chandler Rogers did not have a good match but Vincenzo Joseph was the reason for that. Nolan Boyd simply does not match up with Bo Nickal but few if any do. Weigel apparently ran out of gas and allowed two takedowns in the third period after their 197 pounder wisely did not take down against him. There is really no reason at this stage of the season for Brock and Weigel to "gas out" in the third period. We could not wrestle Schafer due to his broken toe but He would have and will handle Nevills if they meet at Nationals. I know you can not give awards to athletes for losing but I would have given the wrestler of the dual award to Anthony Collica and Kyle Crutchmer. They both lost close matches to outstanding wrestlers and they both looked lung healthy in the 3rd period where both fought hard for victory. They did not win but they were the only bright spots in an otherwise very disappointing dual. Harley, I agree with everything you are about to post on this match. However, I have not given up on this team. Even with this pounding we are still capable of some outstanding performances at Big 12 and Nationals but we can not wrestle the way we did yesterday and expect to win.
LETS GO POKES!!!
Oberebo. I agree we still have a chance to win Nationals, but our guys will have to wrestle much better. As I have indicated if we don't win this year we are in trouble for the near future. I express concerns about our performance this year and I get jumped on when it seems obvious to me Penn. St. is at a different level than us. This year we have been upset more than we have upset which is bad. We have to jump levels because they recruit better than us. Also we have more injuries than Penn. St. Smith is a disaster for us this year, I felt sorry for him getting broken Sunday in his match. Two years ago our recruiting class was at the level we need to be (Kaid, Joe, Rogers, Pic, and Weigel. Last year we were really short with not one wrestler being near top 10 overall talents. This year Fix is great, Gfeller is good but has dropped in the results and ratings this year. We need better. The ballgame has changed because many of the top 2018 recruits are already committed to Penn. St,, Ohio St. or Iowa. etc. but none to us. We need to realize the ball game has changed and I hope that John Smith and staff adjusts. Or they will be like many posters here and not adjust. Lastly Smith needs to redshirt next, get his knee right and go up to 65.

Some positives from the match on Sunday....
125 - I was happy to see Pic compete and not give up his leg easily. He was in the match with Suriano, that was a surprise to me. Hoping he's turned the corner and continues to improve.
133 - Brock got sloppy at the end, but that's better than coasting. Looks a little better getting off bottom.
141 - Hard to find much here.... maybe not as tired in the 3rd period?
149 - Collica is looking good. Going hard for 7 minutes, could have easily won that match.
157 - Ugh. Hopefully Smith is able to get in shape in the next month and give it a go.
165 - Rogers never quit. He's going to have to wrestle smart and minimize his risky moves against top level competition. Hopefully this match will light his fire to get better.
174 - Huge improvement for Crutchmer over the beat down he had at the Scuffle. He could have won that match had he won the scramble at the end.
184 - Boyd made the same mistake in his match against Dean earlier this year. (See Rogers) He's not going to be able to take bad shots from the bleachers against the top-level guys. Hopefully a lesson for him going forward.
197 - Weigel can't rely on riding someone out to win a match. Was disappointed in his defense, not surprised with his lack of offense. It appears his knee is still giving him problems, hopefully it will be better the next 4 weeks and he will be able to get back into shape.
285 - ??? Schaeffer didn't get reinjured?

As a team, being ranked #1 might have given them some false sense of accomplishment. Hopefully after getting their butts handed to them in from of a record crowd at home will motivate them to get after it and do better at Big 12s and Nationals.

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
Let's assume Suriano is out of NCAAs.... honestly hope not for any wrestler....can they win it with 8 guys??? I feel so!

Let's assume Suriano is out of NCAAs.... honestly hope not for any wrestler....can they win it with 8 guys??? I feel so!

They can but it is a huge blow for them. They probably won't get much from 141 and may not from 197 so that's a lot of points needed from 6 guys.

OSU will still need to earn it and there are question marks at 125, 157 and 197. If Schafer and Weigel can't get close to 100% we won't have a chance.

Crutchmer matches up poorly with Hall. Hall is prone to being ridden and Crutchmer just does not do that. Hopefully he will not be on the same side of the bracket as Crutchmer.
OSU wrestlers seem to find their gas tanks at Nationals. Smith does appear to be an injury problem. Nolf makes everyone look bad.
I think I read on the Penn State board that Cael thought Suriano would be fine by the Big 10's. Sure did not look like that to me. Suriano is very good and if well should be fairly high on the podium.
Penn State has 8 guys that look very good and that will be a lot of points at Nationals.

Word was it was x-rayed at the arena and that he did suffer a broke ankle.... cannot 100% confirm that but if true can't see him returning this year. Very unfortunate if the case.

Crutchmer matches up poorly with Hall. Hall is prone to being ridden and Crutchmer just does not do that. Hopefully he will not be on the same side of the bracket as Crutchmer.
OSU wrestlers seem to find their gas tanks at Nationals. Smith does appear to be an injury problem. Nolf makes everyone look bad.
I think I read on the Penn State board that Cael thought Suriano would be fine by the Big 10's. Sure did not look like that to me. Suriano is very good and if well should be fairly high on the podium.
Penn State has 8 guys that look very good and that will be a lot of points at Nationals.

If Suriano is out my bet is only 6 score significant points. They won't get much from 141 and 197.

Now that 6 has the potential to put up BIG points.

Word was it was x-rayed at the arena and that he did suffer a broke ankle.... cannot 100% confirm that but if true can't see him returning this year. Very unfortunate if the case.

That's fake news....

Cael stated today that it was just a sprain, "Nick has never been hurt and doesn't know what it feels like." Caels words not mine

That's fake news....

Cael stated today that it was just a sprain, "Nick has never been hurt and doesn't know what it feels like." Caels words not mine
I am glad that his ankle is not broken but "just a sprain" is not the best of news since sometimes ankle sprains take months to heal. He is a very good wrestler and do not want any wrestler to be hurt where they can not continue to wrestle.

Hope it is not broke....but as stated, those sprains can be worse. Hate to see any wrestler injured this time of year. 125 in big 10 is absolutely nasty!!

I hope he's not injured, and fully healthy! That kid is special and I want to see what a full 4 years has.

Oberebo. I agree we still have a chance to win Nationals, but our guys will have to wrestle much better. As I have indicated if we don't win this year we are in trouble for the near future. I express concerns about our performance this year and I get jumped on when it seems obvious to me Penn. St. is at a different level than us. This year we have been upset more than we have upset which is bad. We have to jump levels because they recruit better than us. Also we have more injuries than Penn. St. Smith is a disaster for us this year, I felt sorry for him getting broken Sunday in his match. Two years ago our recruiting class was at the level we need to be (Kaid, Joe, Rogers, Pic, and Weigel. Last year we were really short with not one wrestler being near top 10 overall talents. This year Fix is great, Gfeller is good but has dropped in the results and ratings this year. We need better. The ballgame has changed because many of the top 2018 recruits are already committed to Penn. St,, Ohio St. or Iowa. etc. but none to us. We need to realize the ball game has changed and I hope that John Smith and staff adjusts. Or they will be like many posters here and not adjust. Lastly Smith needs to redshirt next, get his knee right and go up to 65.

Penn State is on a different level than everyone in the country. Like it or not, that is a fact. Every recruit wants to be a national champion, but only one will at each weight each year. The game has changed as there are now many options for athletes to get an education, wrestle, and prepare for life. There was a period where the best wrestlers generally ended up in OK or Iowa and now they can stay closer to family with many great programs in other states. John and his staff have done a great job recruiting and preparing the athlete for the NCAA tournament. These current wrestlers grew up hearing about and watching recent videos of Cale Sanderson - the greatest of all time (just as the the group in the early to mid 2000's watched John Smith as the greatest US international wrestler of all times, those in the early 80's grew up watching Dan Gable). Ten years from now, the dynasty may be the place David Taylor, Kyle Dake, Logan Steiber, Alex Derringer or someone else from this era is the coach.

Oklahoma is Oklahoma and you can't move a state or recruit someone here that wants to be in PA, NY, Iowa or anywhere else. The best solution for recruiting is to continue to develop youth wrestling in OK and then you have a great chance to get top level recruits. There was a time the best athletes in Ohio left, the best athletes in PA left and now there are outstanding programs in their home state. There are great kids in many states and some will go where ever they think they have the best chance to win (Heil and Collica left Ohio), but not everyone will do that.

I want to win as much as anyone else and yes - we are Ok State, they dynasty defined, 34 and counting, and the best program in history and expectations should be high, but being discontent about recruiting or not jumping levels, winning in 10 years does nothing to help the program. We have had recruits that did not work out (Marsteller, Benefil, Meade,...). I hope we wrestle well at Nationals and win #35. I am proud with the way our wrestles performed at nationals the last several years even though there have been many disappointing results individually. I feel bad for the athlete for not reaching their goal as they have put everything they had into the performance and it didn't work out as they would have liked. That happens in life and hopefully the experience will make them better people and more prepared for life after wrestling. If we don't win, it will likely be because we were not the best team and not because John Smith is too comfortable, doesn't get the change, understand what it takes to win in 2017, or anything else. If there is anyone who could do better and replace John with better results, some other school would have found him and Penn State would not be the dominant team. Tom Ryan, Rob Koll, Tom Brands and others are great coaches and there teams/ fans would rather be in our position than theirs.

And for Joe Smith, realize the amount of pressure being John's son. Maybe it is an injury, maybe it is weight control, and maybe it is Joe peaked earlier than others. He had one of the best coaches in the world since he put on a singlet and was dominant early on, so his potential ceiling is likely lower than others as he was closer to maximizing the talent prior to starting college than most other wrestlers.

Penn State is on a different level than everyone in the country. Like it or not, that is a fact. Every recruit wants to be a national champion, but only one will at each weight each year. The game has changed as there are now many options for athletes to get an education, wrestle, and prepare for life. There was a period where the best wrestlers generally ended up in OK or Iowa and now they can stay closer to family with many great programs in other states. John and his staff have done a great job recruiting and preparing the athlete for the NCAA tournament. These current wrestlers grew up hearing about and watching recent videos of Cale Sanderson - the greatest of all time (just as the the group in the early to mid 2000's watched John Smith as the greatest US international wrestler of all times, those in the early 80's grew up watching Dan Gable). Ten years from now, the dynasty may be the place David Taylor, Kyle Dake, Logan Steiber, Alex Derringer or someone else from this era is the coach.

Oklahoma is Oklahoma and you can't move a state or recruit someone here that wants to be in PA, NY, Iowa or anywhere else. The best solution for recruiting is to continue to develop youth wrestling in OK and then you have a great chance to get top level recruits. There was a time the best athletes in Ohio left, the best athletes in PA left and now there are outstanding programs in their home state. There are great kids in many states and some will go where ever they think they have the best chance to win (Heil and Collica left Ohio), but not everyone will do that.

I want to win as much as anyone else and yes - we are Ok State, they dynasty defined, 34 and counting, and the best program in history and expectations should be high, but being discontent about recruiting or not jumping levels, winning in 10 years does nothing to help the program. We have had recruits that did not work out (Marsteller, Benefil, Meade,...). I hope we wrestle well at Nationals and win #35. I am proud with the way our wrestles performed at nationals the last several years even though there have been many disappointing results individually. I feel bad for the athlete for not reaching their goal as they have put everything they had into the performance and it didn't work out as they would have liked. That happens in life and hopefully the experience will make them better people and more prepared for life after wrestling. If we don't win, it will likely be because we were not the best team and not because John Smith is too comfortable, doesn't get the change, understand what it takes to win in 2017, or anything else. If there is anyone who could do better and replace John with better results, some other school would have found him and Penn State would not be the dominant team. Tom Ryan, Rob Koll, Tom Brands and others are great coaches and there teams/ fans would rather be in our position than theirs.

And for Joe Smith, realize the amount of pressure being John's son. Maybe it is an injury, maybe it is weight control, and maybe it is Joe peaked earlier than others. He had one of the best coaches in the world since he put on a singlet and was dominant early on, so his potential ceiling is likely lower than others as he was closer to maximizing the talent prior to starting college than most other wrestlers.
All true. I will point out that one of Penn St.'s best wrestlers is from Allen, TX, however.

All true. I will point out that one of Penn St.'s best wrestlers is from Allen, TX, however.

Yes - great programs will have great recruits from other states. Our best wrestler last year was from Wisconsin. We have had recent great Wrestlers from PA (Kindig, Oliver), so we have great wrestlers from OH (Heil, Collica), PA and other states as well as OK. I would guess there were PSU fans wondering how Jordan Oliver came to OSU. Kindig was in the mix with the Altons, who were probably higher ranked wrestlers in high school.

I would also guess if you compared Nikal to Marsteller 3 years ago, most would have said we had the better recruit, but it didn't work out that way. It can be hard to figure out how an 18 year old will react to a new environment and there were probably issues with Marstellar most fans did not know, similar to others I mentioned above.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT