ADVERTISEMENT

Oil Up $3.25 so Far Today...

65% of New Mexico’s reserves are on federal land, Dave.
And what % of those are HBP or already leased? Biden does not say he wants to ban fracking on existing Fed leases.

Agree with your earlier post about O&G prices increasing but disagree somewhat on the long term future. Demand for fossil fuels will peak before Supply IMO. You may be right about not in our lifetimes though.

Dave, tax revenues will be way down and people will lose jobs.
You're correct unless we get our shit together and embrace the opportunity in front of us. If we insist on hitching our wagon to a dying industry then yeah, NM, OK, TX are screwed. Do you not see the inevitable decline of fossil fuels? IMO, we can have a legitimate discussion on when and how to respond, but the writing is on the wall.

Had a sharecropper Pinot tonight, by the way. Decent.
Owen Roe is an amazing operation. David O'reilly, the winemaker and cofounder, focuses on small batches generally - Sharecropper is his biggest line. Good stuff, but if you get a chance get one of his single vineyards like a Clandeboye you will not be disappointed. In fact, DM me an address and I will get one on the way to you to try!

Last edited:
And what % of those are HBP or already leased? Biden does not say he wants to ban fracking on existing Fed leases.

Agree with your earlier post about O&G prices increasing but disagree somewhat on the long term future. Demand for fossil fuels will peak before Supply IMO. You may be right about not in our lifetimes though.
This would be a great conversation - and I need to be tested on this as I am pushing to put a significant amount of our fund's dollars into the renewable ecosystem.

This would be a great conversation - and I need to be tested on this as I am pushing to put a significant amount of our fund's dollars into the renewable ecosystem.
Pretty sure you are aware of this, but if not check out some of the major oil companies, international and US, recent position's on the change from fossil fuels..

Long term it appears they seem to know that things are going to change but their stock immediately went south.

Reactions: davidallen
Owen Roe is an amazing operation. David O'reilly, the winemaker and cofounder, focuses on small batches generally - Sharecropper is his biggest line. Good stuff, but if you get a chance get one of his single vineyards like a Clandeboye you will not be disappointed. In fact, DM me an address and I will get one on the way to you to try!
I have a Clandeboye Pinot and a Chapel Block Syrah in my wine fridge right now. We visited the tasting room when we went to the Oregon State game.

• Love
You're correct unless we get our shit together and embrace the opportunity in front of us. If we insist on hitching our wagon to a dying industry then yeah, NM, OK, TX are screwed. Do you not see the inevitable decline of fossil fuels? IMO, we can have a legitimate discussion on when and how to respond, but the writing is on the wall.
That’s fine but I don’t know why we need to ban drilling on federal lands today.

I think you will see a lot of E&P companies move from an Ops guy in the CEO position to a finance guy. Less focus on growth, more on cash flow and returns to shareholders in the form of dividends and buy backs.

Up another .63 this morning! Joe's kickin ass.

GO JOE! GO JOE! GO JOE!

p7g7dq7trok11.gif

I think you will see a lot of E&P companies move from an Ops guy in the CEO position to a finance guy. Less focus on growth, more on cash flow and returns to shareholders in the form of dividends and buy backs.
I agree except for those looking to transform - they need strategy and R&D leadership more so than milking the cash cow expertise. To me, that drives which stocks to own long term.

Fossil fuel is a dying industry?

Honestly, we have no idea what he's going to do. He's said he's not banning fracking, he's said he's only going to be scaling it back, and he's said he's going to stop it all together. I'm sure if someone looked hard enough you could probably find a video of him saying all three in the same sentence but just forgetting what he had previously said.

Heck almost every industry is a dying industry (except funeral homes because everyone is going to die). Will there be a time when we replace gasoline/diesel as the main fuels for vehicles? Sure, there is but there's more uses for oil biproducts than just fuel. I've seen some (very convincing) presentations by guys much smarter than me and with no dog in the fight say we could see the next transition on cars like we had back in the early 1900's from horses to vehicles happen by the year 2028 I believe. Things are advancing all the time. Heck some folks have said cars will be electric and self driving by the time kids born today turn 16.

Ultimately, nothing is going to change until folks start finding a way to make money by changing. It's not different than the fund the police nonsense. Folks made a big stink about it, to a small degree they did lose a police presence and then poof they wanted them back again. There's a lot of things that sound good in theory but in reality most folks just want to have the baby but not the labor pains.

Until the Climate Change folks realize that, the change they want to occur is only going to be incremental.

Honestly, we have no idea what he's going to do. He's said he's not banning fracking, he's said he's only going to be scaling it back, and he's said he's going to stop it all together. I'm sure if someone looked hard enough you could probably find a video of him saying all three in the same sentence but just forgetting what he had previously said.

Heck almost every industry is a dying industry (except funeral homes because everyone is going to die). Will there be a time when we replace gasoline/diesel as the main fuels for vehicles? Sure, there is but there's more uses for oil biproducts than just fuel. I've seen some (very convincing) presentations by guys much smarter than me and with no dog in the fight say we could see the next transition on cars like we had back in the early 1900's from horses to vehicles happen by the year 2028 I believe. Things are advancing all the time. Heck some folks have said cars will be electric and self driving by the time kids born today turn 16.

Ultimately, nothing is going to change until folks start finding a way to make money by changing. It's not different than the fund the police nonsense. Folks made a big stink about it, to a small degree they did lose a police presence and then poof they wanted them back again. There's a lot of things that sound good in theory but in reality most folks just want to have the baby but not the labor pains.

Until the Climate Change folks realize that, the change they want to occur is only going to be incremental.
Could not agree more with the bulk of what you are saying here. Change is always incremental, but there are moments of significance/breakthroughs that feel big until you pull back the covers and realize it was obviously going to happen. Most people don't realize that we are 24 years into the commercial availability of EV passenger vehicles.

My bet, with some significant cash backing it up, is that we see fleets move to predominantly electric (new purchases >50%) by 2030, consumers follow by 2035. EVs are 2.5% of worldwide passenger vehicle sales today. Getting to 50% in the next 15 years or so will feel like a revolution.

As to the economics, the lifespan of an EV is currently estimated to be 2x ICE vehicles. Maintenance is 25% less as measured over the 10 year lifespan of the ICE vehicle including amortizing the cost of a battery replacement for the EV. The problem today is purchase price of course. The learning curve and advancements in energy density and power density should have price parity (cost of manufacture for like vehicles) coming in the next 3 years or so. At that point an EV is a no brainer though there will be a long tail of slow converts.

A good overview of the middle case view by analysts: https://about.bnef.com/electric-vehicle-outlook/

I tend to be on the bullish side with most of my thinking.

Again, you can go simpleton if you like.
Lol. Your quote, Rachel...

If we insist on hitching our wagon to a dying industry then yeah, NM, OK, TX are screwed.

We've been hitched to fossil fuels for how long now?

Don't get buttburt because you were asked about it. It's either "dying" or it's not. It's generally not a difficult concept to back up your bullshit. Well, for most people it isn't.

I agree except for those looking to transform - they need strategy and R&D leadership more so than milking the cash cow expertise. To me, that drives which stocks to own long term.
I agree with this. Companies have to be innovative regardless of industry. There’s time left for the E&Ps, but soon all need to be doing it.

How’s the fleet of electric 757s getting off the ground again ? HRL has disbanded their battery research division

Of course not but you have no clue what it takes to get a jumbo jet in the air. Hughes did and his legacy still does. Batteries may play a part in maintaining flight but cannot generate the thrust to initiate it

Of course not but you have no clue what it takes to get a jumbo jet in the air. Hughes did and his legacy still does. Batteries may play a part in maintaining flight but cannot generate the thrust to initiate it
Actually I do.... and I know that with 500kg of battery power you can get two hours of comparable performance flight range today in the light personal category using existing battery tech. As power density increases and designs progress from ducted fan to plasma jet short-haul inventory will expand from turboprops and RJs to include electric powered. Narrowbody will move toward a hybrid design as well though that might be 15-20 years away.

In any case, did anyone predict an electric jumbo jet was in the foreseeable future? You should maybe read what I wrote.

Lol. Your quote, Rachel...

We've been hitched to fossil fuels for how long now?

Don't get buttburt because you were asked about it. It's either "dying" or it's not. It's generally not a difficult concept to back up your bullshit. Well, for most people it isn't.
Boy, you really are a simpleton on these types of topics. That's cool.

Actually I do.... and I know that with 500kg of battery power you can get two hours of comparable performance flight range today in the light personal category using existing battery tech. As power density increases and designs progress from ducted fan to plasma jet short-haul inventory will expand from turboprops and RJs to include electric powered. Narrowbody will move toward a hybrid design as well though that might be 15-20 years away.

In any case, did anyone predict an electric jumbo jet was in the foreseeable future? You should maybe read what I wrote.

You said they would be “on order by 2030” and then changed to “possibly that advanced in 15-20 years”, tubby

im all for doing what’s needed to help the environment. China doesn’t care, can we compete with batteries

This actually seems pretty realistic.

Reactions: iasooner1
This thread fvcking blows now. Was going good until some wing nut brought electric jets into the mix. Electric jets? Wtf is this all about. How you going to build those things? Unicorn farts? Fvck no! Good ol black gold, Texas Tea. Hey fingers, you think you’ll live long enough to see a big 707 electric jet airliner?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT