ADVERTISEMENT

NJ talent and the future for Rutgers wrestling

AtownPoke

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2006
Corpus Christi
What are yalls opinion on Rutgers and the rising power that is NJ wrestling?

NJ wrestlers who finished top 3 at their weight

Rivera
Suriano
McKenna
Ashnault
Lewis
Martin
Cessar

Burroughs has been pushing this NJ thing pretty hard and they are getting a ton of attn right now. Rutgers will be a big problem imo.

Thoughts?

Believe u r correct. Be great to pluck 1-2 every year and hopefully get our facilities upgraded.

What are yalls opinion on Rutgers and the rising power that is NJ wrestling?

NJ wrestlers who finished top 3 at their weight

Rivera
Suriano
McKenna
Ashnault
Lewis
Martin
Cessar

Burroughs has been pushing this NJ thing pretty hard and they are getting a ton of attn right now. Rutgers will be a big problem imo.

Thoughts?

Overall it's great for wrestling. You are seeing similar growth at places like VT, NCSt and especially Arizona State. The amount of talent coming from HS is at an all time high and several programs outside of the traditional powers are capitalizing on that by investing in their programs and staffs.

Rutgers has dedicated significant funds to wrestling facilities and their RTC so they will continue to improve and build that program.

Reactions: AtownPoke
James Green & Frank Molinaro also.

Zack is our man on the ground in NJ. His brother still runs a wrestling club there. I believe the older Mastro said that he chose OSU after speaking with Zack. Now the big one is AJ Ferrari.

Reactions: KILLEVIDENT
I'm a long time RU alum and fan, I was at the match at The RAC when Ok St came in. It was our biggest crowd of the year, close to 8,000. Ok St has a tremendous reputation in NJ, like everywhere else. NJ is very dense obviously, so your staff only needs to fly into Newark, and they can get to almost every HS in 2 hours. There are some HS powers in N NJ like Blair Academy and Bergen Catholic. Wrestling in NJ is huge, our HS State Tournament gets 40,000 attendance over 3 days. With the Ok St rep , I'm sure you would have a lot of success, like Penn St and Iowa has had. Cornell and Princeton (in NJ) also recruits well the good academic wrestlers.
Of course Smith can go to any state and recruit well, but as you can see by the stats on flo, there is a wealth of talent in NJ.

i dunno if john will go back to jersey after getting called out by surianos dad

just kidding

thanks for your post
lots of great talent from the garden state
ok st would do well to recruit

i dunno if john will go back to jersey after getting called out by surianos dad

just kidding

thanks for your post
lots of great talent from the garden state
ok st would do well to recruit
What Surianos dad did to John Smith was BS and embarrassing for Rutgers. I promise you it didn’t sit well with The Ferrari family as they are really close to Smith family .

What Surianos dad did to John Smith was BS and embarrassing for Rutgers. I promise you it didn’t sit well with The Ferrari family as they are really close to Smith family .
Please expand as I did not see what he did and maybe why he did it? Wonder if there is video?

thanks for sharing

wouldn’t that be sweet karma

Did this happen recently or in the past?

Oh stop. If that was your son and the opposing coach was crying all match about shit - you’d do the same thing. Your coach is a cry baby and pulled the same crap
At the dual. Let your wrestler win it on the mat and not on harassing the ref. Fix was afraid to shoot on Suriano for two straight matches.
Well the unbiased voice has arrived lol

Not sure what it means, but the Ferrari family is at every Rutgers home match, and AJ and his brother attend the same HS , Bergen Catholic, where current wrestlers Nick Suriano, Joe Grello, Peter Lipari, and Jordan Pagano went to. Bergen Catholic wrestlers may make up 40 per cent of the RU starting lineup next year. There is an Italian connection too, lol. Capice? lol
According to AJ, the Smiths are Italian. I never knew

Reactions: Abro1975
Not sure what it means, but the Ferrari family is at every Rutgers home match, and AJ and his brother attend the same HS , Bergen Catholic, where current wrestlers Nick Suriano, Joe Grello, Peter Lipari, and Jordan Pagano went to. Bergen Catholic wrestlers may make up 40 per cent of the RU starting lineup next year. There is an Italian connection too, lol. Capice? lol

Abro, I remember what you posted on the Iowa board a few years ago about Chandler and the OSU team.

I'll be blunt to make it easy for you - you're a piece of shit.

Oh stop. If that was your son and the opposing coach was crying all match about shit - you’d do the same thing. Your coach is a cry baby and pulled the same crap
At the dual. Let your wrestler win it on the mat and not on harassing the ref. Fix was afraid to shoot on Suriano for two straight matches.

He shot more than Suriano last night dumbass. And no, not every parent who has a son wrestling in a match where John challenges a call is trying to fight him.

I have no idea what you are talking about. None whatsoever. Again ,check my history, see what I post, check out how I write. Sounds like you might have a bad memory.
I rarely come to this board, only did today to see what your fans were posting about the Fix match. Guess you don't like fans from other sites checking in.

Did you find my post above offensive? Seriously. You think you remembered what I posted on an Iowa board 3 years ago? lol. And you feel a need to use profanity? Classy dude.

I'm fine with other fans posting here. I'm not fine when people like you make shitty comments. And I know exactly what you posted 3 years ago. I'm not surprised you don't remember, being stupid and a scumbag is not a rare combination.

Rutgers guys...

How does it feel that your 1st, very 1st national title was a cheat? It reeks of NJ bookmaking and a scam! It's highly plausible to check that refs financials. Suriano is a paper champ!

Suriano, is a punk! He spoke of a guy that knew he didn't win. On top of that his Dad probably ruined court side seats for others in the future? You guys are jersey shore trash, it's genetic, you can't help it. MTV made a mint capitalizing on your trash culture.

Just so we’re all on the same page.... what did he say?

There are things in life bigger than wrestling. They are more important than which team you root for or who wins & loses. I said what needed to be said. Now it's time to move on.

Apologies to the board if anyone was offended.

Rutgers guys...

How does it feel that your 1st, very 1st national title was a cheat? It reeks of NJ bookmaking and a scam! It's highly plausible to check that refs financials. Suriano is a paper champ!

Suriano, is a punk! He spoke of a guy that knew he didn't win. On top of that his Dad probably ruined court side seats for others in the future? You guys are jersey shore trash, it's genetic, you can't help it. MTV made a mint capitalizing on your trash culture.

I used to like coming to this board.

Then it turns out when your guy needs a refs assistance to win, and doesn’t get it, SOME of you act like this.

Fix won in NJ because of the refs. Not much complaining then. He loses now, and everyone else is at fault.

Maybe he should wrestle to his ability and take it out of the refs hands? That was the advice our board gave to Nicky when he got robbed.

Fix didn’t shoot. Wasn’t aggressive and wanted coaching challenges and bricks to hand him a national title. Go earn it.

The best rule in wrestling is the dean heil rule (the danger rule). Maybe they’ll change rules up now for challenges. Who knows?

But I do know that a lot of you were okay with a guy lying on his back in neutral to win national titles. To now somehow blame rules, is ludacris.

Wrestle aggressive next time and you won’t need the zebras.

Rant over.

For those of you who aren’t whining, good tournament. Sorry about gfeller. I thought he was a major bracket buster. And I’m torn for chandler. On the one hand he lost a wrestle off. On the other hand he would have been more equipped for the grind of a long tournament.

And as far as recruiting NJ, you’ve had a lock on Blair since I was in high school. You guys can keep recruiting Blair. We’ll take the public schools. See, compromise. It can work.

Look forward to stopping back in here when the freestyle season gets into full gear.

I agree: "Wrestle aggressive next time and you won't need the zebras." I'm not sure if you were talking about Fix or Suriano. Pushing to me isn't really being the aggressor. I didn't like the match in NJ and I didn't like the Finals...the first one really didn't matter in the big picture. The headgear seems to be getting a lot of pub...but it was the stalemate that shocked me.

Reactions: chasepollard

Then it turns out when your guy needs a refs assistance to win, and doesn’t get it, SOME of you act like this.

Fix won in NJ because of the refs. Not much complaining then. He loses now, and everyone else is at fault.

Maybe he should wrestle to his ability and take it out of the refs hands? That was the advice our board gave to Nicky when he got robbed.

Fix didn’t shoot. Wasn’t aggressive and wanted coaching challenges and bricks to hand him a national title. Go earn it.

The best rule in wrestling is the dean heil rule (the danger rule). Maybe they’ll change rules up now for challenges. Who knows?

But I do know that a lot of you were okay with a guy lying on his back in neutral to win national titles. To now somehow blame rules, is ludacris.

Rant over.

For those of you who aren’t whining, good tournament. Sorry about gfeller. I thought he was a major bracket buster. And I’m torn for chandler. On the one hand he lost a wrestle off. On the other hand he would have been more equipped for the grind of a long tournament.

And as far as recruiting NJ, you’ve had a lock on Blair since I was in high school. You guys can keep recruiting Blair. We’ll take the public schools. See, compromise. It can work.

Look forward to stopping back in here when the freestyle season gets into full gear.
Yeah Fix should have shot more. But Suriano barely did anything either.

Reactions: Air_Thurman

Rant over.

Fix had the best shot of regular time when he got in on the double. Outside of that neither guy committed to shots or offense. I agree that both should have although their styles just clash and make that tough to do for both.

There were only two other legitimate offensive moves in the match. The Fix slide by for the winning TD in which Suriano used an illegal move by rule and definition to stop and setup the third legitimate offensive move of the match in his winning TD.

BS, BS, BS, BS, BS.

There was plenty of complaining from the Rutgers side when Fix won on a blatant hands to the face. It is the height of irony that you think OSU fans shouldn't be complaining about two terrible calls in an NCAA finals but you use the term "robbed" about the first meeting. If Nick was "robbed" in their first meeting I don't even know what you would call what happened to Fix.

I hate how the first match ended. I don't look at it as any kind of blimmish on Nick's record but it was a text book rules violation and was no where close to a robbery. It is a crap rule but it is a rule.

P.S. Fix didn't need the refs to win. Nick needed the refs to win. He was getting ridden like a rented mule and the match was over until the refs stepped in on Nick's behalf.

Last edited:

Rant over.

Then don't come back jackass!

I used to think you had a decent amount of Wrestling knowledge when you weren't trolling. This post shows you can't be objective.

Here is how this goes...

Suriano is one of the best in the business in regards to defending a takedown. He is ELITE at defense and very hard to takedown. Fix on the other hand, is elite in neutral. That is called a clash of style and makes it hard for one wrestler to accomplish what he excels at. In the Finals, Suriano stepped it up on his D and kept forward pressure to confuse the talented Fix. SO, he made it incredibly hard for Fix to score. It is of note, he didn't score worth a shit either despite all of his forward pressure. As educated as I thought you were to this sport, you would realize that is often used as a tactic to avoid stall calls.

In overtime, Fix's rideout should have never been stalemated. Again, with your knowledge, you know that 1., a rideout in SV is NEVER stalemated, ever. 2., the rules stipulate that a stalemate should occur when NEITHER wrestler can advance their position. It was very clear Fix was beginning to work on the wrists...even though I concede that a turn was not going to be attempted. Fix earned the victory first with being able to sink his boots in.

Next, in neutral SV, Fix finally caught Suriano slipping up and executed a beautiful slide by for the win. It was clearly and blatantly stopped by the head gear grab. If the tables were turned, you'd be pretty upset about the no call. Matter of fact, Mark Hall has a victory against Zahid for a similar infraction, so while uncommon, it does happen.

On the NJ dual, and the brick throwing for penalties...I agree with you. Fix shouldn't have received that win on a hands to the face, that rule needs to be looked at. I felt Fix was tentative to Suriano's defense and had a gameplan to win in OT with a rideout instead of using offense. I don't know that for sure, but he didn't seem to be on the hunt to score...but neither did.

Rant over.

uninformed and ignorant

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT