ADVERTISEMENT

OU Wrestling synopsis

MiccoMacey

Heisman Candidate
Sep 21, 2002
I know this is an OSU board, but you guys are pretty good about knowing your opponent. I'm no insider with OU, but these are just some thoughts I had about OU wrestling from last year that I carried over and wrote down. Probably some OU bias (I'm predicting 11 All-Americans, Ionel :)). So take this with a grain of salt. Also, would love to hear some feedback from you guys on who you think I missed, or slept on, or over rated. BTW, I wrote this on an OU board that has mainly football fans on it, so don't feel like I'm preaching to you guys. Obviously you're knowledge and passion for wrestling is much higher than theirs.

125 - Joey Prata had a good year last year. (19-9) and was one match away from being an All-American at the NCAAs. That makes him a dark horse candidate for All-American status. A transfer from VaTech, he's now a multiple time NCAA qualifier. I'd expect some good things out of him this year. He won the Outstanding Wrestler and Warrior Awards given at OU last year.

133 - Anthony Madrigal gets the slightest of passes here as he was injured for almost the whole year but gutted through it. His record in the past has been up and down, so this year will tell if he's the promising young star we saw as a sophomore or if he's the same as he was his freshman and junior years. He was 12-12 last year, but was ranked as high as #7 early on before being injured. I've been high on Tony since his freshman year where he got brutalized by much bigger 133 pounders. His sophomore year he was 20-10. Too gunshy to predict here, but he's a fringe dark horse candidate if healthy is the best I can say right now.

141 - Jacob Butler pulled down and wrestled here the last half of the year after Dom Demas quit on us. He didn't fare very well at all, but he DID beat a top seed at the Big Twelve CCT, but he's not the answer (although I love this kid's personality and character). More than likely transfer Mosha Schwartz from Northern Colorado will start here. Tons of upside, but I think he's coming off some injuries (only wrestled four matches last year, and 16 in the last two years). More likely we're looking at a development year from Mosha.

149 - This could be very interesting. Willie McDonald started here over Mitch Moore after Moore got injured. And Willie had a pretty darn good season especially for a redshirt freshman. But Mitch is a multiple returning NCAA tournament qualifier who was doing very well until he got injured. He's a pinner, and has won several matches when he was behind but just caught someone. Enough times to believe it wasn't just a fluke. He's extremely strong, and wins matches usually by controlling his opponent with his strength. He's not the slickest guy on the mat. Mitch is a dark horse All-American candidate at 149. Hopefully Willie can pull to 141, where I think we have a vacancy. If he can AND can manage his weight, he's going to be very tough for us. Or if Mitch goes up to 157 Willie can slide in here.

157 - Justin Thomas was here last year and graduated. Another who never lived up to his potential, so many fans I've talked to all agree there's no reason this kid wasn't an All-American, and probably a multiple time AA. As mentioned before, Mitch Moore may want to come up to this weight, opening up 149 for McDonald. However, we have the #1 152-pound kid out of HS a year ago sitting at this weight in Anthony Herrera-Rondon. It would be weird to see him sit, and he's not big enough to move up to the next weight. I like our chances for success here a lot, but if RH starts there may be a few growing pains. I'm not saying he's not good, but I just don't rate kids who have almost zero college-level matches very high until they start to show it at this level.

165 - No one on OU's roster is listed at 165. In all honesty, I don't even remember who wrestled here except little Mantanona (the 174 pounder's brother) and he was very ineffective. Since no one is listed at 165 for SoonerSports, my guess is one of the 157 pounders will move up here.

174 - Anthony Mantanona graduated finally. Hopefully now we can get someone in there with a little more mental focus. Ant had all the potential in the world and squandered it. Like, former World medalist in Greco Roman for his age group potential that never translated at OU. Listed here is the former #1 ranked High School 170-pounder three years ago. He didn't compete at all last year (not sure why). He's the only 174-pounder listed. I have zero idea if he's going to be good or not. My guess is more likely a decent wrestler, but not much more until I see him on the mat.

184 - Keegan Moore came on at the end of the year and beat out former starter Darrien Roberts and started looking better and better. A former OSU kid who transferred out and went to Northern Iowa and then transferred to OU, he had all-world potential coming out of high school. I think he got a little derailed at OSU with something (not 100% sure). But he did beat #7 Greer last year at the end of the year, so I'm hopeful it's turning around for him. Seriously, it'd be weird to call this kid a dark horse candidate for AA status because of his track record. But it'd be weird not to because of his talent. If he gets his head on right this year, he could be a force.

197 - Jacob Woodley graduated this past year and was an All-American two years ago. But he never progressed much after his sophomore year. His junior and senior year mirrored each other except he upset one more ranked guy at the NCAAs as a junior. In his stead is former #1 HS recruit Tate Picklo out of Mustang. The kid's legit. Until they step on the mat (or football field), I never count them as anything other than a really good HS pickup. But I will be zero surprised if he does something this year. It's tough for freshmen to break into the upper weights and place because there is sooooo much of a strength difference at the higher weights between freshmen and redshirt seniors. Moreso than in the lower weights I believe. But Rosselli has done one thing right...he's recruited very well. And Tate's a prime example.

HWT - Josh Heindelson has been a two-year starter with few quality wins. He looked the same as a sophomore as he did a freshman weight and size-wise. Could definitely use a trip or three to the weight room and bulk up some. On the plus side, he has won several OT matches and that's a good sign of still hustling at the end. Hoping he turns the corner and becomes more productive.

If I'm being perfectly honest, I really can't see a team that's loaded up to do any real damage at the NCAAs. And if you don't follow wrestling, just know this...how you are perceived as an individual or as a team by the wrestling community is almost exclusively judged by how you do at the NCAA tournament. The Big 12 conference tournament means very little except that's how you qualify for the NCAAs. No one has ever been introduced as "He's a tough wrestler, proven by his third-place finish at his conference tournament". No one gives a rats ass about your conference placing.

The bright spots are that we have a few wrestlers that could very well maybe might possibly be an All-American. Doubtful that all that our dark horse candidates actually fulfill that promise. But they've had some level of success and I am hopeful they can make the jump to that next level. We'll see.

A bigger bright spot is we have several kids on our roster that were #1 ranked kids at their weight coming out of HS. Rondon-Herrera, Penner, and Picklo were seriously elite level wrestlers at the high school level. Joey Cruz was a #1 rated wrestler in high school as well and he's at 125 waiting in the wings. So we DO have some talent.

The downside is our coaches have not shown they can develop talent AT ALL. The two most recent All-Americans we've had were elite HS kids that pretty much progressed minimally while they were here (Demas and Woodley). And now that Michael Lightner is gone, I have zero idea how the new guy will do (former OU wrestler, 2x NCAA Champion, 3x NCAA Finalist, 4x NCAA All-American Teyon Ware out of Edmond, OK). So until I see the staff start to produce, I can't realistically see us moving into the Top Twenty even though we do have the talent to do so.

Let me know where I missed, or if you see things differently.

They are a fairly tough dual team. With the right bracket and/or peaking at the right time, they do have 6-7 dark horse low all-americans. They have a lot of age and experience.
125-Prata - 7th year senior
133-Madrigal - 5th year Sr (R-Sr)
141-Should Mosha Schwartz (R-Jr) or Wyatt Henson (R-Fr) be here? Both transfers
149-Moore (R-Sr) or McDougal (R-So)
157-Herrera-Rendon (R-Fr)
165/174-Gerrit Nijenhuis (Jr-2-time ncaa qualifier), Greyden Penner (R-So-highly ranked in HS but has not wrestled in two years at ou) or John Wiley (True Fr-fairly high ranked out of HS)
184-Moore-7th year Sr
197-Picklo-R-Fr-Probably best chance at AA. Now that Ferrari is gone, really wish he had followed his twin sister to OSU rather than big brother to ou.
285-Heindselman-R-Jr

I know this is an OSU board, but you guys are pretty good about knowing your opponent. I'm no insider with OU, but these are just some thoughts I had about OU wrestling from last year that I carried over and wrote down. Probably some OU bias (I'm predicting 11 All-Americans, Ionel :)). So take this with a grain of salt. Also, would love to hear some feedback from you guys on who you think I missed, or slept on, or over rated. BTW, I wrote this on an OU board that has mainly football fans on it, so don't feel like I'm preaching to you guys. Obviously you're knowledge and passion for wrestling is much higher than theirs.

125 - Joey Prata had a good year last year. (19-9) and was one match away from being an All-American at the NCAAs. That makes him a dark horse candidate for All-American status. A transfer from VaTech, he's now a multiple time NCAA qualifier. I'd expect some good things out of him this year. He won the Outstanding Wrestler and Warrior Awards given at OU last year.

133 - Anthony Madrigal gets the slightest of passes here as he was injured for almost the whole year but gutted through it. His record in the past has been up and down, so this year will tell if he's the promising young star we saw as a sophomore or if he's the same as he was his freshman and junior years. He was 12-12 last year, but was ranked as high as #7 early on before being injured. I've been high on Tony since his freshman year where he got brutalized by much bigger 133 pounders. His sophomore year he was 20-10. Too gunshy to predict here, but he's a fringe dark horse candidate if healthy is the best I can say right now.

141 - Jacob Butler pulled down and wrestled here the last half of the year after Dom Demas quit on us. He didn't fare very well at all, but he DID beat a top seed at the Big Twelve CCT, but he's not the answer (although I love this kid's personality and character). More than likely transfer Mosha Schwartz from Northern Colorado will start here. Tons of upside, but I think he's coming off some injuries (only wrestled four matches last year, and 16 in the last two years). More likely we're looking at a development year from Mosha.

149 - This could be very interesting. Willie McDonald started here over Mitch Moore after Moore got injured. And Willie had a pretty darn good season especially for a redshirt freshman. But Mitch is a multiple returning NCAA tournament qualifier who was doing very well until he got injured. He's a pinner, and has won several matches when he was behind but just caught someone. Enough times to believe it wasn't just a fluke. He's extremely strong, and wins matches usually by controlling his opponent with his strength. He's not the slickest guy on the mat. Mitch is a dark horse All-American candidate at 149. Hopefully Willie can pull to 141, where I think we have a vacancy. If he can AND can manage his weight, he's going to be very tough for us. Or if Mitch goes up to 157 Willie can slide in here.

157 - Justin Thomas was here last year and graduated. Another who never lived up to his potential, so many fans I've talked to all agree there's no reason this kid wasn't an All-American, and probably a multiple time AA. As mentioned before, Mitch Moore may want to come up to this weight, opening up 149 for McDonald. However, we have the #1 152-pound kid out of HS a year ago sitting at this weight in Anthony Herrera-Rondon. It would be weird to see him sit, and he's not big enough to move up to the next weight. I like our chances for success here a lot, but if RH starts there may be a few growing pains. I'm not saying he's not good, but I just don't rate kids who have almost zero college-level matches very high until they start to show it at this level.

165 - No one on OU's roster is listed at 165. In all honesty, I don't even remember who wrestled here except little Mantanona (the 174 pounder's brother) and he was very ineffective. Since no one is listed at 165 for SoonerSports, my guess is one of the 157 pounders will move up here.

174 - Anthony Mantanona graduated finally. Hopefully now we can get someone in there with a little more mental focus. Ant had all the potential in the world and squandered it. Like, former World medalist in Greco Roman for his age group potential that never translated at OU. Listed here is the former #1 ranked High School 170-pounder three years ago. He didn't compete at all last year (not sure why). He's the only 174-pounder listed. I have zero idea if he's going to be good or not. My guess is more likely a decent wrestler, but not much more until I see him on the mat.

184 - Keegan Moore came on at the end of the year and beat out former starter Darrien Roberts and started looking better and better. A former OSU kid who transferred out and went to Northern Iowa and then transferred to OU, he had all-world potential coming out of high school. I think he got a little derailed at OSU with something (not 100% sure). But he did beat #7 Greer last year at the end of the year, so I'm hopeful it's turning around for him. Seriously, it'd be weird to call this kid a dark horse candidate for AA status because of his track record. But it'd be weird not to because of his talent. If he gets his head on right this year, he could be a force.

197 - Jacob Woodley graduated this past year and was an All-American two years ago. But he never progressed much after his sophomore year. His junior and senior year mirrored each other except he upset one more ranked guy at the NCAAs as a junior. In his stead is former #1 HS recruit Tate Picklo out of Mustang. The kid's legit. Until they step on the mat (or football field), I never count them as anything other than a really good HS pickup. But I will be zero surprised if he does something this year. It's tough for freshmen to break into the upper weights and place because there is sooooo much of a strength difference at the higher weights between freshmen and redshirt seniors. Moreso than in the lower weights I believe. But Rosselli has done one thing right...he's recruited very well. And Tate's a prime example.

HWT - Josh Heindelson has been a two-year starter with few quality wins. He looked the same as a sophomore as he did a freshman weight and size-wise. Could definitely use a trip or three to the weight room and bulk up some. On the plus side, he has won several OT matches and that's a good sign of still hustling at the end. Hoping he turns the corner and becomes more productive.

If I'm being perfectly honest, I really can't see a team that's loaded up to do any real damage at the NCAAs. And if you don't follow wrestling, just know this...how you are perceived as an individual or as a team by the wrestling community is almost exclusively judged by how you do at the NCAA tournament. The Big 12 conference tournament means very little except that's how you qualify for the NCAAs. No one has ever been introduced as "He's a tough wrestler, proven by his third-place finish at his conference tournament". No one gives a rats ass about your conference placing.

The bright spots are that we have a few wrestlers that could very well maybe might possibly be an All-American. Doubtful that all that our dark horse candidates actually fulfill that promise. But they've had some level of success and I am hopeful they can make the jump to that next level. We'll see.

A bigger bright spot is we have several kids on our roster that were #1 ranked kids at their weight coming out of HS. Rondon-Herrera, Penner, and Picklo were seriously elite level wrestlers at the high school level. Joey Cruz was a #1 rated wrestler in high school as well and he's at 125 waiting in the wings. So we DO have some talent.

The downside is our coaches have not shown they can develop talent AT ALL. The two most recent All-Americans we've had were elite HS kids that pretty much progressed minimally while they were here (Demas and Woodley). And now that Michael Lightner is gone, I have zero idea how the new guy will do (former OU wrestler, 2x NCAA Champion, 3x NCAA Finalist, 4x NCAA All-American Teyon Ware out of Edmond, OK). So until I see the staff start to produce, I can't realistically see us moving into the Top Twenty even though we do have the talent to do so.

Thanks for the write-up. Even though I don't follow OU I do recognize all those wrestlers, having seen them enough. Keegan Moore whooped Geer last year - he just had so much power. I don't know much about his record but he impressed me in that match. I won't miss Mantanona - he did some shady stuff including trying to hurt his opponents with illegal moves. No thank you. A little sad that Heindelson won't have anybody to fight with, but I guess that whole showdown was kind of writing on the wall. Picklo will probably be a stud.

The Big 12 conference tournament means very little except that's how you qualify for the NCAAs. No one has ever been introduced as "He's a tough wrestler, proven by his third-place finish at his conference tournament". No one gives a rats ass about your conference placing.

Well ... I don't know about that. There is an OU fan who occasionally posts on these here boards convinced that OU will win all 10 weights at the B12 tournament, so maybe it means something to him. ;)

BTW: good info/analysis above. :)

• Haha
Reactions: MiccoMacey
Thank you. I have to do OU on this Big 12 wrestling podcast tomorrow and didn't feel like doing my own research.

Sorry your fans don't care about the sport. That's a real shame.

Reactions: colcord
Wyatt Henson might start at 133 if he can make the cut. BA's Jared Hill beat Herrara-Rondon at an Open last year and might start at 157. Penner was injured the last couple of years, but he's listed as eligible on Track now. He should be solid at 174 if healthy. I could see Picklo going 184 and Moore bumping to 197. Also of note, Zeke Escalera transferred to OU. He lost to Blankenship in OT in the state final 2 years ago.

Bedlam could be tight.

Reactions: colcord and vhsalum
Wyatt Henson might start at 133 if he can make the cut. BA's Jared Hill beat Herrara-Rondon at an Open last year and might start at 157. Penner was injured the last couple of years, but he's listed as eligible on Track now. He should be solid at 174 if healthy. I could see Picklo going 184 and Moore bumping to 197. Also of note, Zeke Escalera transferred to OU. He lost to Blankenship in OT in the state final 2 years ago.

Bedlam could be tight.

yuck. You're right. especially now with Sheets going 157.

Sheets going 157 is news to me, but it would make sense, even more so if Wittlake goes 165. But bringing Gfeller back is a bit of a head scratcher then. Can't see stunting Voinovich's development.

Adam Engel reported it. Wyatt at 157. "You'll see" at 165. Wittlake at 184 "for now."

Follow Adam if you're not already. Hardest working kid the O'Colly has had in a decade. Loves wrestling. He's going to be a big deal someday.
So what does”you’ll see”mean?

Interesting. The first media availability of the season should be soon, possibly this week. Maybe we'll learn more about the lineup.

Sheets & Wittlake certified in August, probably at 157 & 165 for flexibility. Gfeller certified in mid Sep. weighing between 165.1 - 174, so he has time to drop to 149.

Interesting. The first media availability session should be soon, possibly this week. Maybe we'll learn more about the lineup.

Sheets & Wittlake certified in August, probably at 157 & 165 for flexibility. Gfeller certified in mid Sep. weighing between 165.1 - 174, so he has time to drop to 149.
G coming back must mean he's confident in taking the spot at 149. I did hear last year those room battles were going his way

G coming back must mean he's confident in taking the spot at 149. I did hear last year those room battles were going his way
Yeah, I think someone posted that G won multiple times. I'm sure he wants to get on the podium, especially with NCAAs in Tulsa. I'm just a little surprised the coaches would bring back a 6th year guy over a high recruit who will be part of the core going forward.

Micco you seem like the type of guy who was beaten severely as a child by your Father and your younger but much more handsome Brother!
I don’t SEEM like that guy. I am that guy. I have the PTSD scars to prove it.

I was chained to the radiator for most my teen years. As I got older, my father took pity on me and put a zip line across the 8X8 foot room he kept me in so I could have some mobility. He and my younger, yet much more handsome, brother would take turns beating me with the caps off old mustard bottles tied to fishing wire to harden my skin. My food consisted of one of them going past my door and just saying “Chalupa” and I had to imagine what that would taste like. It’s why I can’t go past a Taco Bell nowadays without salivating.

Adam Engel reported it. Wyatt at 157. "You'll see" at 165. Wittlake at 184 "for now."

Follow Adam if you're not already. Hardest working kid the O'Colly has had in a decade. Loves wrestling. He's going to be a big deal someday.
When did Gfeller decide to come back? Must have missed it.

165 has to be Sheets, Mechler, or McLane right? Harper is always in the mix too. No way Jordan Williams is ready to go at 165 if he wasn't cutting anything to be 157.

Competing for a starting spot should help development . Right ? Why wouldn’t you want your best wrestler starting?
It seems short-sighted to me. Competing does help, but actually wrestling (starting) helps more. That's where you learn the most and it's why 2nd year starters often make big jumps. Sitting behind 1 guy who beats you in the room can't match it. There's also the risk of Voinovich transferring.

Reactions: KILLEVIDENT
It seems short-sighted to me. Competing does help, but actually wrestling (starting) helps more. That's where you learn the most and it's why 2nd year starters often make big jumps. Sitting behind 1 guy who beats you in the room can't match it. There's also the risk of Voinovich transferring.

Agreed. I just don't get it. Not from a team or individual perspective. G and Sheets cutting less weight is going to help them so much in the injury factor.

And for the team? Sitting G or Voinovich doesn't make any sense at all.

Reactions: Wrassler17
I would say the coaches winning NC would disagree. They bring in transfers all the time and even assistant wrestling coaches from other teams to start over there young recruits.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
I would say the coaches winning NC would disagree. They bring in transfers all the time and even assistant wrestling coaches from other teams to start over there young recruits.
True, if we were challenging for the National Championship I would want the better wrestler, but if you don't have a chance this year but maybe in the next 3 years we might have a chance, then if I am thinking future I would go with Voinovich. Also if Voinovich does not gain on G this year ( normal development for a redshirt freshman) compared to last year I would be concerned Voinovich is not developing( which could be the reason they pushed to get G back). This year with so many sophomores wrestling we should get wrestlers jumping levels and All American this year. Also you think we would have less injuries ( please).

Ok, but the situations are a little different.

PSU, Iowa & Michigan brought in guys who were clear upgrades. Almost all had AA'd at Nationals before. Kerkvliet hadn't, but he was the #1 recruit in 2019. And Berge was a top 10 recruit who had multiple injuries. Some were even champs or finalists. Is G a clear upgrade over Voinovich? Maybe he is. I would have thought they were pretty comparable, but maybe he hasn't progressed.

Another difference is those teams were serious threats to win a team title and were looking for points to put them over the top. That's not the case for us. We'll need a fantastic tourney just to finish in the top 5 this year.

I love how this thread was co-opted back to a discussion worthy of this site, Kudos. The only thing I want to hear about OU (and Texas) is how soon they are leaving the Big 12 and how poorly they fair in the SEC.
Believe Micco has failed to locate the SEC wrestling forum so we may be stuck with him for a while. ;)

Reactions: colcord
I don't mind him here at all because unlike anywhere else I hear someone talking about OU his narcissistic drones are not accompanied by an endlessly obnoxious deluge of boomer sooner.

I can still remember (almost as in a nightmare) once I was driving somewhere and turning on the radio to see if they were losing that week’s football game. They were on a drive so every play, regardless of outcome, was followed by a chorus of boomer sooner and accolades from the announcer(s). It took at least ten minutes for me to learn that they were getting trounced and had no way (time wise) of winning.

I don’t SEEM like that guy. I am that guy. I have the PTSD scars to prove it.

I was chained to the radiator for most my teen years. As I got older, my father took pity on me and put a zip line across the 8X8 foot room he kept me in so I could have some mobility. He and my younger, yet much more handsome, brother would take turns beating me with the caps off old mustard bottles tied to fishing wire to harden my skin. My food consisted of one of them going past my door and just saying “Chalupa” and I had to imagine what that would taste like. It’s why I can’t go past a Taco Bell nowadays without salivating.
You forgot your sister who had to defend you from bullies through High School

Reactions: colcord and DPJ
Well, I was wrong a bunch.

125 - Prata was correct
133 - Forgot about Wyatt Henson. Glad he’s beating out a three year starter. That bodes well for OU
141 - Mosha looks like an upgrade over Butler from last year. But man, I hate to see Will McDougal out of the lineup. I wish he could get down to 141.
149 - Was right with Mitch Moore.
157 - Why in the heck do we have a 141 pounder from last year here, and why can’t the #1 152 pounder coming out of HS not beat him?
165 - Glad to see Gerrit Nijenhuis. I think he’s a good edition.
174 - I think Darrien Roberts will be better than he showed against Plott. I’m hoping he was gassed early in the second period just because of nerves.
184 - Penner needs to step it up.
197 - The Surber match notwithstanding, I like Keegan here. And if we can use Buchanan in the second half of the season and pull Moore down to 184, that’s be really good.
HWT - Heindselman looks like he’s thinned down. That should help him in the later rounds.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT