ADVERTISEMENT

Next years roster

gotta be jacobe v chandler at 74

jo at 65

this guy at 84

57 looks like the vacuum weight

I think Geo will bump up and I think there is a chance (maybe small) that Whitlake can cut effectively to 157 for one year.

My Ideal 2018-2019 Lineup:

125: Fix
133: Picc
141: Brock
149: Lewallen
157: Smith
165: Rogers
174: Smith
184: Geer
197: Weigel
285: White

I think Geo will bump up and I think there is a chance (maybe small) that Whitlake can cut effectively to 157 for one year.

Wonder if gfeller or lewellan could bump up to 157? I'd rather see him redshirt than trying to squeeze into 157. We've seen this movie before and last time I remember it didn't end well.

Wonder if gfeller or lewellan could bump up to 157? I'd rather see him redshirt than trying to squeeze into 157. We've seen this movie before and last time I remember it didn't end well.

I don't know if Lewellan can bump up but who knows with another summer of natural growth. G has the frame to get bigger and some predicted 157 down the road for him.

Geo (a former AA) looked like a big and strong 149 so you would think bumping up is a real option for him.

Whittake made 163 with same day weigh ins fine this weekend so who knows.

My Ideal 2018-2019 Lineup:

125: Fix
141: Brock
149: Lewallen
157: Smith
165: Rogers
174: Smith
184: Geer
197: Weigel
285: White

I agree. And maybe swapping Daton & Picc would be even stronger in terms of team points at nationals.

Joe Smith is the key this year and the following year. Probably won't happen, but if he could somehow make 157, we would be set. 2020 might look like this:

125: Daton
141: Kaid (Kaden)
149: Boo
157: Joe
165: Travis Wittlake
174: Anthony Montalvo
184: Dakota Geer
197: Andrew (Keegan)
285: Daniel Kerkvliet (true frosh)

Hi everyone, long time OSU alum and wrestling fan. Here is what I think is going to pan out for 2018-19.

125 - Fix
133 - Brock
141 - Gfeller
149 - Boo
157 - Jojo Smith / Joynce / Geo
165 - Rogers
174 - Smith / Jojo Smith
184 - Greer (transfer from Edinboro) / Moore / Harris
197 - Weigel
HWT - White

- I think Rogers is solid at 165, 2x AA at that weight class is hard to move.
- I really like Picc but Fix is a better option at 125 and Kaid is consistently in top 3-6 for 133.
- Harris has a lot of upside but is a better 174 and has a better chance of getting in the lineup this yr at 184.
- Unless Jojo can make weight 157 is going to be a challenge for us again this yr.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Hi everyone, long time OSU alum and wrestling fan. Here is what I think is going to pan out for 2018-19.

125 - Fix
133 - Brock
141 - Gfeller
149 - Boo
157 - Jojo Smith / Joynce / Geo
165 - Rogers
174 - Smith / Jojo Smith
184 - Greer (transfer from Edinboro) / Moore / Harris
197 - Weigel
HWT - White

- I think Rogers is solid at 165, 2x AA at that weight class is hard to move.
- I really like Picc but Fix is a better option at 125 and Kaid is consistently in top 3-6 for 133.
- Harris has a lot of upside but is a better 174 and has a better chance of getting in the lineup this yr at 184.
- Unless Jojo can make weight 157 is going to be a challenge for us again this yr.

Welcome, and good post.

Your lineup is probably the strongest one we could field to maximize NCAA points. It just doesn't feel like they are planning to have Picc on the bench. But who knows, maybe they will have wrestle offs at 125 & 133. And if Picc loses both then he'll be allowed to transfer.

Austin Harris is an intriguing option. It seems like he is starting to fill into that 6'2" frame, he wrestled 92 kg at Junior Nationals. As you said though, I think he could still make 184. But might he also be an option to start at 197 in 2020?

One way to think about the challenge is that most would project PSU to have 3-5 champions and a strong line up that would likely produce several AAs. So the guess would be OSU would have to have probably at least 3 champions and also quite a few other AAs to be competitive. Feel pretty good about the AAs being there, the challenge will be putting 3 or so at the top of the podium.

I agree. And maybe swapping Daton & Picc would be even stronger in terms of team points at nationals.

Joe Smith is the key this year and the following year. Probably won't happen, but if he could somehow make 157, we would be set. 2020 might look like this:

125: Daton
141: Kaid (Kaden)
149: Boo
157: Joe
165: Travis Wittlake
174: Anthony Montalvo
184: Dakota Geer
197: Andrew (Keegan)
285: Daniel Kerkvliet (true frosh)

Me personally, gfeller has to find a place in the lineup...I don't know if someone of his caliber rides the bench for that long without considering transferring out. Not saying he would though. I believe Gfeller would score more points in the NCAA's than Montalvo. Its a good problem to have this much talent in the room though

Looks like a very strong team for this upcoming season. Still don't think we have enough elite level guys to compete with the bonus point monsters PSU is going to trot out on the mat come next March.

Looks like a very strong team for this upcoming season. Still don't think we have enough elite level guys to compete with the bonus point monsters PSU is going to trot out on the mat come next March.

I agree. For 2018 it's about putting yourself in a position to take advanatage if PSU has any issues.

Our title hopes are still pegged for 2019 and 2020 and the addition of Geer only helps that.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Me personally, gfeller has to find a place in the lineup...I don't know if someone of his caliber rides the bench for that long without considering transferring out. Not saying he would though. I believe Gfeller would score more points in the NCAA's than Montalvo. Its a good problem to have this much talent in the room though

Yeah, I agree. Kaden has a lot of potential - I think he will be a pinner in college with that arm bar (I also think Montalvo might turn out to be a pinner). I just don't see a good way to get G in the lineup at this point unless it's at 157. I thought he should have wrestled 149 during his redshirt year and focused on getting bigger. Maybe he is smaller than I think and his best option is to beat out Kaid for 141. It seems like he is proud to represent Oklahoma though, so hopefully he doesn't transfer.

Barring injuries, PSU is the heavy favorite next year with 4 likely finalists/champs and 3 high AA. We'll have a puncher's chance, along with Iowa and tOSU.

In 2020, I think the team race will be between PSU, Iowa, Michigan and us (maybe tOSU also). So I agree, Geer was a nice pickup because he will likely AA then (he's a possible AA this year). One key will be does anyone take an Olympic redshirt, like Daton, Lee, or Hall? Another is does anyone get a 6th year waiver, like Cassar or Preston? With the NCAA relaxing their criteria, I think Preston and Geo might have a shot to get one. And I think Boo could probably get one for 2021 also.

Editing to add that Nebraska gave Jason Renteria a release to non big 10 schools. He has 3 years of eligibility + a redshirt available. Maybe he could take his redshirt in 2019, be a reserve in 2020, and then take over for Picc/Kaid at 133/141 for 2 years? I think he's better than most of the HS class of 2019 recruits still available. I hope our coaches reach out to him.

Last edited:
We need a minimum of three elite wrestlers combined with a slew of AA to compete with PSU for a title imo. Fix is the only one of those currently on the roster imo. We're going to need a few of our other guys to reach that level. Several are close.

Reactions: osu2082
The transfer game in college wrestling is going to continue to grow and be a factor for deciding title challengers. I am glad we have been active in this area and think you will see us increase our activity.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
The transfer game in college wrestling is going to continue to grow and be a factor for deciding title challengers. I am glad we have been active in this area and think you will see us increase our activity.
Which is why it's even more shocking penn state doesn't have more. How about their 197 situation

Which is why it's even more shocking penn state doesn't have more. How about their 197 situation

And give up the lucrative jobs waiting for them at their RTC? Not a chance.

But seriously, one reason that Cassar might not be transferring is because he could be awarded a 6th year, and maybe even a 7th year. That would give him 2 years to start after Rasheed graduates in 2019. Cassar's situation is similar to Grant Leeth's. They were both healthy as true freshmen, but then injured as RS freshmen & sophs. The NCAA just gave Leeth 2 years.

I think we'll know more if guys like Manville, Teasdale, Verkleeren, Joe Lee, and Busiello don't start for multiple years.

NEO's heavyweight Brian Andrews signed with Wyoming. He is Blake's younger brother. Last year he announced his intention to do a year at NEO and then transfer to OSU (like Blake did). Obviously, the Daniel Kerkvliet verbal changed those plans. I thought we might still land him after Ethan Andersen left, but I'm guessing that $ is going to Dakota Geer.

I would still like to get NEO's Alex Kauffman. He's a 184 with a redshirt available and 3 years of eligibility remaining. I've watched several of his matches and he is very quick getting to the legs. Started wrestling late and has some nice upside.

If we have any $ left, I would like to see us go after Jason Renteria. And if we don't get him, then I would try to get Kauffman.

listening to flowrestling radio and they said multiple times that Joe smith will not wrestle at 157. Not because of talent, but its too big of a weight cut at this point of his career. Unfortunately, I agree with them, he'll be at 165 IMO.

I'm not convinced Joe can beat Rogers at 165.

If healthy Joe is far superior. Joe is more likely to go 174 than 157.

I think you will see Chandler bulking up this summer (165 was a tough cut anyway for him this year).

I think the “if healthy” condition is a huge question mark. Joe not only has be healthy but stay healthy throughout the season. Fingers crossed

Do you guys seriously think Joe Smith can beat Jacobe Smith at 174. You do realize that Jacobe was on one leg at the Big 12's and the NCAA tournament. Joe may be better at 165, but not up two weights. Jacobe is the real deal when he is healthy.

Do you guys seriously think Joe Smith can beat Jacobe Smith at 174. You do realize that Jacobe was on one leg at the Big 12's and the NCAA tournament. Joe may be better at 165, but not up two weights. Jacobe is the real deal when he is healthy.

I think Joe has national championship type talent but he needs to find and settle on a weight and needs to stay healthy. I'm pretty certain that weight will be 165.

Chandler won't hand it to him but if Joe is healthy I think Chandler prepares for the move up to 174 this summer and that should be a fantastic battle.

Reactions: OSUMatFan

Pretty sure that won't happen. I don't think you'll see Geo at all.

Potential of a 57 transfer, if we have the money. If joe cannot make the cut, and nothing else changes, you're looking at Moran or Jonce.

OSU2082
Cannot argue with that logic as all three are certainly capable of mid AA. Up one weight is reasonable, but two weights is a different matter.

Pretty sure that won't happen. I don't think you'll see Geo at all.

Potential of a 57 transfer, if we have the money. If joe cannot make the cut, and nothing else changes, you're looking at Moran or Jonce.

That's too bad. Geo is a good wrestler and seems like a good kid but he is just in an incredibly tough room with guys at and around his weight.

157 is the glaring hole in the lineup so a transfer would be nice.

That's too bad. Geo is a good wrestler and seems like a good kid but he is just in an incredibly tough room with guys at and around his weight.

157 is the glaring hole in the lineup so a transfer would be nice.

I'm not trying to start rumors, but his i believe his issues are medical.

Best wishes for Geo.

I like the idea of going after more transfers, but I think we need to target high level guys. Just like with the HS recruits, a round of 16 caliber guy will not help win nationals. The Surianos and Micics are rare, but you should at least feel like the guy has a good chance to become an AA (like a Geer or Renteria). Otherwise you are better off saving the money.

I would add that gray shirting is a growing trend and will continue to be utilized into the future as well. For programs that are trying to juggle a weight or two over a several year period, this allows more time to spread things out, and assists with the scholly limit too. It's not for every kid, but can be advantageous when it is a good fit.

Last edited:
I would add that gray shirting is a growing trend and will continue to be utilized into the future as well. For programs that are trying to juggle a weight or two over a several year period, this allows more time to spread things out, and assists with the scholly limit too. It's not for every kid, but can be advantageous when it is a good fit.
It might have been good for Gfeller to have gray shirted if he does not start this year.

Reactions: OSUMatFan
Wrestling at U23s at 79kg. Rogers at the same weight. I bet JoJO ends up at 174 and Geer is redshirted.
Geer I believe took his redshirt this year. He will compete at 184 with Moore for the starting position. Smith could wrestle 74. We sure need improvement at 57 from this last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT