ADVERTISEMENT

Next Years Lineup

i get it. let me ask you this question, and you can't pick both. Would you rather have a 2nd place next year or two champs in 2026? Which outcome is more important to your program long term?

This is just friendly banter btw.
Seems like you are stacking hypotheticals on top of hypotheticals.
I've stated multiple times: nothing is given, nothing is guaranteed.
My perspective only: You do everything in your power to win as much as possible as soon as possible. All while creating a great culture.
I believe this Coaching Staff will make the best possible decisions for what this program needs; and, as I've said repeatedly, I will support.

I believe this Coaching Staff will make the best possible decisions for what this program needs; and, as I've said repeatedly, I will support.
Agreed. This is how I feel.

I enjoy the discussion on mass RS or not (this is a discussion board after all), but some of yall are dealing in absolutes and that’s far from what the situation is.

Reactions: JAY45
Anything can happen, yes. I’ve only met one time traveler, every single bit of this discussion is proven correct by that lady only.

But, not withstanding injuries and major surprises, the mass RS yields almost the same results outside of a greater possibility in year 2 of winning it all. We can still runner up with Bear Claw and Amine in the lineup yields the same results this year, plus someone gets left out.

RS Fish, Hamiti, Plott and Hendrickson and you’ve got 4 AAs (on paper) and 2 possible champs and TT will jump levels and/or fight Williams at for another likely AA at 57.

Don’t RS them and you have a possible AA at 57, likely at 65, likely at 74, likely at 84 and likely 285. No champs (on paper) and probably 2 finalists.

You are looking at 30-40 points of differential between the two and a possibility of a team championship. I just don’t get it?

Anything can happen, yes. I’ve only met one time traveler, every single bit of this discussion is proven correct by that lady only.

But, not withstanding injuries and major surprises, the mass RS yields almost the same results outside of a greater possibility in year 2 of winning it all. We can still runner up with Bear Claw and Amine in the lineup yields the same results this year, plus someone gets left out.

RS Fish, Hamiti, Plott and Hendrickson and you’ve got 4 AAs (on paper) and 2 possible champs and TT will jump levels and/or fight Williams at for another likely AA at 57.

Don’t RS them and you have a possible AA at 57, likely at 65, likely at 74, likely at 84 and likely 285. No champs (on paper) and probably 2 finalists.

You are looking at 30-40 points of differential between the two and a possibility of a team championship. I just don’t get it?
Hope we are talking about the same time traveler. If so, I’m 100% on board.

That said, who’s going to be an available in the portal this time next year? 😉

Did you meet her at Willie’s?

The portal will be full of guys that are tampered with (already know where they’re going) and guys that couldn’t hack it in their current room. The days of all these stud grad transfer with a 6th year of eligibility end this year.

So, the portal won’t be as big of a player moving forward. Still a player, but not pulling 3-4 AAs from it.

Reactions: vhsalum
I guess I’m just not as comfortable guaranteeing that point difference. Your points are valid and make sense though. And again I’ll be happy with either route as long as we see some overall improvement.

I guess I’m just not as comfortable guaranteeing that point difference. Your points are valid and make sense though. And again I’ll be happy with either route as long as we see some overall improvement.
There is no guarantee besides the scenarios.

But it’s pretty simple on paper. There’s probably 12-20 points on advancement between the two scenarios alone.

Reactions: Chasingthirty-five
There is no guarantee besides the scenarios.

But it’s pretty simple on paper. There’s probably 12-20 points on advancement between the two scenarios alone.
Maybe it’s bc I’m an optimist and have faith Plott can figure Keck out lol and that Wyatt can beat kerk and Hamiti and Spratley will make a run this year and the stars align lol

Maybe it’s bc I’m an optimist and have faith Plott can figure Keck out lol and that Wyatt can beat kerk and Hamiti and Spratley will make a run this year and the stars align lol
Don’t get me wrong.

I fully expect Spratley to surprise! I honestly believe the TG and Fix effect is real! But he’s 100% not a part of the scenario. Since it’s been brought up, I predict now he busts the quarters and surprises the country in the semis.

I also think Plott can beat Keck on a one off…best of 3, not confident there.

Hendrickson is a 20+ guy no matter what…but I want him to win one! His best option is Kerk moving on. I think he can beat him too, but why chance it?

Hamiti, same thing. Otoole leaves and that’s one less bomb.

Fish, same thing. He places better with an “off” season.

This is all just banter…we don’t even know if these guys are open to a RS?

i do not want us trying to make a living in the portal. Use this great opportunity to win a natty and load up on studs. Take a cherry on top transfer here and there as needed

With all of this talk of the possibility Christian Carroll redshirting I thought I’d bring up something I ran across a couple of weeks ago.

If Luke Surber does start for us this year, he has a chance to do something that only one OSU wrestler has ever done and that is to be in four NCAA championships and not AA. The only one to date was Rick Jones who wrestled from ’72 to ’75. ’72 may have been the first (non-post WWII) year that freshman were allowed to compete.

Obviously, I hope he doesn’t do this and if he can get and remain healthy, I believe he has a good chance to AA.

With all of this talk of the possibility Christian Carroll redshirting I thought I’d bring up something I ran across a couple of weeks ago.

If Luke Surber does start for us this year, he has a chance to do something that only one OSU wrestler has ever done and that is to be in four NCAA championships and not AA. The only one to date was Rick Jones who wrestled from ’72 to ’75. ’72 may have been the first (non-post WWII) year that freshman were allowed to compete.

Obviously, I hope he doesn’t do this and if he can get and remain healthy, I believe he has a good chance to AA.
There hasn’t been talk of CC redshirting unless it refers to the one he wore this past season?

i do not want us trying to make a living in the portal. Use this great opportunity to win a natty and load up on studs. Take a cherry on top transfer here and there as needed
Like you, I don’t like the portal. Like you, I value loyalty. Unfortunately, the portal is a reality and must be embraced. Kids are going to come and go. It takes away from watching athletes and a team evolve over the course of 4-5 years. The top teams use it every single year, it doesn’t seem like there’s any reason to believe OSU won’t as well.

Like you, I don’t like the portal. Like you, I value loyalty. Unfortunately, the portal is a reality and must be embraced. Kids are going to come and go. It takes away from watching athletes and a team evolve over the course of 4-5 years. The top teams use it every single year, it doesn’t seem like there’s any reason to believe OSU won’t as well.
It’s part of the deal now yes, but it will be much thinner moving forward.

Reactions: AtownPoke
Here is what Flo says:

Davis #5 Figueroa #1
Nagao #7 Crookham #1
Beau #3 Alirez #1
Van Ness #2 Henson #1
Kasak #4 Teemer #1
MM #1
Haines #2 O’Toole #1
Barr #24 Keckeisen #1
Cstar #1
Kerk #1

I have heard Davis may RS and true freshman Lillendahl may slot into 125. Then Davis takes Nagao slot in 2025-26 as a RSSO. At 184, you have Barr/Ryder/Facundo possibly vying for that slot.
Here's more reason for optimism, our 125lber, Spratley, dominated Figueroa. Major Decisioned him.

I have read speculation on this site that all wrestlers with redshirts available could redshirt next season for a title run the following year. IF that were to happen, what would be the lineup this coming season? I do not know the redshirt status of the team members.

Last edited:
I have read speculation on this site that all wrestlers with redshirts available could redshirt next season for a title run the following year. IF that were to happen, what would be the lineup this coming season? I do not know that redshirt status of the team members.
If is right, but “if” we RS’d all the SRs with one to give then we’d look something like this imo

125-Troy Spratley
133-Cael Hughes
141-Tagen/Carter
149-JWill /Carter
157-Teague/Carter(Im just not sure where he ends up)
165-?
174-Amine
184-Robb
197-CCarroll
285-Doucet/Merrill

I’d honestly like to see Tagen and JWill go ahead and go up but I doubt it. Who knows though

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Amine is going to bulk up?

You’d almost certainly have to use Fish or Thompson in this scenario.

Feels like Fantasy Football 😊

You’d have to go

165: Amine
174: Fish/Thompson
184: Thompson/Robb

Can’t see Thompson redshirting then coming back and sitting another year behind Hamiti/Plott.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
I have heard it multiple times now that Amine is expected to go to 174

That’s why I’m saying you need to take another 65

Lol as you said it’s like fantasy football and it’s all for fun but if we do go that direction then we need another 165. You don’t hold guys out of a needed RS year just to fill a whole that can be filled with a one year transfer. Just my opinion

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
I have heard it multiple times now that Amine is expected to go to 174

That’s why I’m saying you need to take another 65

Lol as you said it’s like fantasy football and it’s all for fun but if we do go that direction then we need another 165. You don’t hold guys out of a needed RS year just to fill a whole that can be filled with a one year transfer. Just my opinion
I assume you are referring to next year. If so, then In your scenario, why would anyone transfer into your program for one year during a punt year? That seems less than appealing.

I assume you are referring to next year. If so, then In your scenario, why would anyone transfer into your program for one year during a punt year? That seems less than appealing.
For the opportunity of great partners in the room, high level coaching, being in the cowboy family, a chance to AA(if it’s the right kid) etc

Any kid not going to PSU this year is basically in a punt year because team goals aren’t happening.

Olejnik came to get better coaching, to wrestle against better competition and to become a better wrestler. And I would say that he accomplished that. I do not think it had anything to do with where the team would finish at. That is just my thoughts though.

Olejnik came to get better coaching, to wrestle against better competition and to become a better wrestler. And I would say that he accomplished that. I do not think it had anything to do with where the team would finish at. That is just my thoughts though.
100% agree. That was my point and why we could easily add another this year even if we’re RSing other guys to push for ‘26

100% agree. That was my point and why we could easily add another this year even if we’re RSing other guys to push for ‘26
I am confused by all of the red shirt talk of these transfers. Who does that ultimately help, the wrestler or the team? Both or neither?

Both

The only down side is immediacy of fan interest and impatient donors feeling fulfilled as @JAY45 pointed out.
This post reminded me of Cael's first interview with the local press upon becoming coach. Someone asked about the rivalry with Lehigh. His reply was short and sweet. "I didn't come here to beat Lehigh". He let us know quick that there was a new sheriff in town. He had a plan. I think Taylor is going to do what Taylor wants to do according to his plan (pre-agreed by boosters and admin).

I know that isn't your point, it's just a thought that came to mind. If he does what Cael did in year one, the "1st team" itself isn't going to light the world on fire, but I'd imagine many being redshirted will go to Opens and that will give you all enough to wag your tongues about until next year. The time really does go fast.

Last edited:
The donors are in this for the long haul. We want to win Nationals. Not every year, but want some championships. If we stuck with the program through the past few years we will be patient for the next five years. To many of us a top three trophy will be a win. We know the next two years of recruiting will be essential. That means the next four years of wrestling will tell the tale.

The donors are in this for the long haul. We want to win Nationals. Not every year, but want some championships. If we stuck with the program through the past few years we will be patient for the next five years. To many of us a top three trophy will be a win. We know the next two years of recruiting will be essential. That means the next four years of wrestling will tell the tale.
That’s a great outlook. You guys got a good one in David but I don’t have to tell you that.

Both

The only down side is immediacy of fan interest and impatient donors feeling fulfilled as @JAY45 pointed out.
Don’t think that’s the only downside. It doesn’t take into account the individual wrestlers aspirations or plans. Which of course, can and should be in conjunction with the Team goals.

Again, Boo Lewallen could have come back and didn’t. Gfeller was talked into coming back

Feels like an oversimplification.

Last edited:
Both

This post reminded me of Cael's first interview with the local press upon becoming coach. Someone asked about the rivalry with Lehigh. His reply was short and sweet. "I didn't come here to beat Lehigh". He let us know quick that there was a new sheriff in town. He had a plan. I think Taylor is going to do what Taylor wants to do according to his plan (pre-agreed by boosters and admin).

I know that isn't your point, it's just a thought that came to mind. If he does what Cael did in year one, the "1st team" itself isn't going to light the world on fire, but I'd imagine many being redshirted will go to Opens and that will give you all enough to wag your tongues about until next year. The time really does go fast.
That’s not an accurate characterization of my sentiment.

Furthermore, even though we know DT is going to take all the best learnings and experiences, it won’t play out in cookie cutter fashion to what happened at Penn State. There will be nuances & differences.

It was interesting that Askren didn’t mention anything about redshirting.

Don’t think that’s the only downside. It doesn’t take into account the individual wrestlers aspirations or plans. Which of course, can and should be in conjunction with the Team goals.

Again, Boo Lewallen could have come back and didn’t. Gfeller was talked into coming back

Feels like an oversimplification.
Did Boo and G have a situation where one more year greatly improved their chances for individual and team title??? and I mean greatly.

It’s just an apples and oranges situation imo. And once again this wouldn’t be one wrestler making a decision on a year with limited upside. This would be a group making a commitment together for a potentially large payoff

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT