ADVERTISEMENT

Next Years Lineup

If Williams quits wouldn’t we most likely see Carter at 149?
I don’t think Williams is going to quit. He may get caught up being a knuckle head at some point but I think he wouldve left already if that was his intention.

He’s in Cache today running a youth camp with Harding. They were booked prior to the changes so I wasn’t sure how it would play out.

I don’t think Williams is going to quit. He may get caught up being a knuckle head at some point but I think he wouldve left already if that was his intention.

He’s in Cache today running a youth camp with Harding. They were booked prior to the changes so I wasn’t sure how it would play out.
Agreed, he was in Tulsa last week running a camp. So who knows.

Carter is the other guy competing at 149 regardless.

Last edited:
Reactions: AtownPoke
If Hughes goes to 141, that causes some good wrestle offs at 141, 149, and 157. Hughes vs Jamison. Young vs WIlliams. Young vs Jamison. Williams vs Jamison. Williams vs Travis. Travis vs Young?
5 solid wrestlers at 3 weights, 2 will be left out. I think it will be Young and Williams. Jamison will be far better served at 149 this year and Travis is likely the guy at 157. Hearing how Williams is questioning his commitment to wrestling moving forward, it might be best to give the spot to Jamison and let him see if he can get someplace mentally where he is motivated and all in. I think that has been his biggest issues thus far. This isn't new for him either, I think he was struggling with this his SR in HS, hence his initial de-commitment. Hughes outgrowing 133 really doesn't help matters though, if he could make 133 could Young make 141?

5 solid wrestlers at 3 weights, 2 will be left out. I think it will be Young and Williams. Jamison will be far better served at 149 this year and Travis is likely the guy at 157. Hearing how Williams is questioning his commitment to wrestling moving forward, it might be best to give the spot to Jamison and let him see if he can get someplace mentally where he is motivated and all in. I think that has been his biggest issues thus far. This isn't new for him either, I think he was struggling with this his SR in HS, hence his initial de-commitment. Hughes outgrowing 133 really doesn't help matters though, if he could make 133 could Young make 141?
That is actually what is going on at PSU and why they can send guys into March with 15-20 matches on them. They have logjams, but it doubles as preparation when the bullets are flying and rest without sacrificing fan entertainment too much.

Also, if there is an injury, they still have the opp to score points in March with a battle tested backup.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
Would be interesting to discuss power ranking the 5 guys at the 3 weights….

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Looking at Lee’s Tracker, here is how they graded out Ranking wise:

1. Hughes 8.5
2. Williams 11
3. Young 15
4. Jamison 55.5
5. Travis 101

• Haha
Weight dependent and more of an RPI type ranking. Wrestlestat has them as
Teague #11 (157)
Williams #13 (149)
Jamison #17 (141)
Young #19 (149)
Hughes #71 (133)

Hughes obviously not a fair way to look at him.

Reactions: tom_v31
My personal power rankings (that I could easily change my mind on daily) would be:
Williams
Hughes
Young
Jamison
Travis

Doesn’t seem fair to Travis bc he might be the MVP on this list because of how hard he works for it, but talent/skill wise I think he’s 5th. Doesn’t mean with his effort he couldn’t beat them all!

This is based strictly on talent alone

1) Williams
2) Hughes (hard to determine based off such a small college sample size)
3) Young
4) Jamison
5) Travis

• Haha
Williams has been an enigma for years. In high school he quit and then came back for his senior year right? Then (according to coaches) struggles with focus and motivation and "doing the right things" at OSU for two years. So that's 3 years of "ifs". Dunno

Looking at some of the “talent” lists and surprised to see Williams so high on everyone’s list when Jamison, Teague and Carter have wins over AAs. Did Williams beat any or get close to beating any AAs?

Just to be clear I realize Williams is the most athletic of the group. I hope he can get on the right path and reach his potential. I have not been told this but I THINK that right this second that the ball is in his court so to speak. I believe the coaches are more concerned about him as a person than as a potential athlete/starter and are just really hoping he’ll make the right choices for his own sake. I do not know what his status is currently but he needs wrestling more than wrestling needs him and I’m hoping/think they’re mindful of that.

If Hughes can’t or won’t make 33 then I think we see we see Hughes, Carter, Jamison battle it out at 41-49. I would lean Jamison at 49 because he is undoubtedly strong enough to wrestle and do really well there not cutting so much. Hes stronger than most 57s. If Williams is doing right then those two battle it out and maybe one of them goes 141.

Keep in mind we need the best guys at their best weights. A third place finish is gonna be worth more than a 7th and an 8th. 141 is gonna be a SOB with Mendes, Bartlett and Alirez who has recently announced he’s going 41. Stacked all the way thru.

Looking at some of the “talent” lists and surprised to see Williams so high on everyone’s list
The reason he was higher on my list is that I think he has more natural ability to score than the other guys we’ve seen. If it was a who isn’t getting taken down list he would be last. Also, to your point I posted the wrestlestat rankings for each and Travis is highest who we all love the most but also don’t see the highest ceiling with. Would love to be wrong on that one.

.Keep in mind we need the best guys at their best weights. A third place finish is gonna be worth more than a 7th and an 8th. 141 is gonna be a SOB with Mendes, Bartlett and Alirez who has recently announced he’s going 41. Stacked all the way thru.
141 is on lockdown for the next few years imo. It’ll be waiting on Blaze or Bo

Last edited:
Reactions: tom_v31
I think the thing I like the most about Williams, and what I think DT will like as well, is he knows how to get a take down. Of all the guys on the above lists he's really the only one I look at and can say he can get a take down when he absolutely needs it, however he's also probably the worst at giving up a takedown when you least likely need it.

Next year is going to be fun and frustrating.

I think the thing I like the most about Williams, and what I think DT will like as well, is he knows how to get a take down. Of all the guys on the above lists he's really the only one I look at and can say he can get a take down when he absolutely needs it, however he's also probably the worst at giving up a takedown when you least likely need it.

I hope like hell that we find a way to get him incubated and comfortable. It's just a growing up issue imo. I REALLY want him to work out.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Anyone else going to the CWC golf event in September?

141 is on lockdown for the next few years imo. It’ll be waiting on Blaze or Bo

So considering that 149 is slightly easier than 41 I'd say we need the best guy out of Carter/Jamison/Williams at 49. Why? Because we NEED POINTS. A strong team is essential for duals but at NCAA's you need individuals going on deep runs. Get enough of those individuals and you get team trophies.

IMO Jamison not cutting so much will be better than the others at 149. Williams struggles w/ strong guys and hasnt been able to hardly score on them. He told some people himself he couldnt score on Kinner at NCAAs because he was to strong. Same with Henson. Strength wont be an issue for Tagen and I'm hoping Coach T can really add to his offense. Just my thoughts.

This was my thinking on the list I made. Its not about who he has beaten, but who he cant beat. He has all the tools to be a top contender at the weight, but that's if he can get mentally locked in and add muscle. Then I think that list of who he cant beat is very small. He has more speed and quickness than anyone on the team IMO and has proven he is capable of winning big matches against very good wrestlers. Jamison has all the tools physically, but lacks some skill and technique IMO. He basically had one takedown double leg but on the upside his defense is top notch and is difficult to score on due to his strength.

Looking at Flo's rankings they have Jordan at #19. The only guy ranked ahead of him that he has a win over is #15 Willochell from Wyoming that he beat 13-11. They have Echemendia from ISU in there instead of Swiderski.

Flo has Tagen ranked 10th at 141 and he has wins over #4, #7, #11, #14, #16.

I think Jordan got better as the year progressed and Tagen wasn't the same guy at the end of the year. Jordan won Big 12s and won a couple matches at NCAAs. Tagen finished 4th at Big 12s and went 0-2 at NCAAs. I've got high hopes for Tagen but he wrestled his worst when it counted most.

IMO, there isn't a huge difference between the two. I like Jordan's ceiling a lot more but I trust Tagen to be a part of the program in the next couple years a lot more.

I think Jordan got better as the year progressed and Tagen wasn't the same guy at the end of the year. Jordan won Big 12s and won a couple matches at NCAAs. Tagen finished 4th at Big 12s and went 0-2 at NCAAs. I've got high hopes for Tagen but he wrestled his worst when it counted most.

IMO, there isn't a huge difference between the two. I like Jordan's ceiling a lot more but I trust Tagen to be a part of the program in the next couple years a lot more.
I think the weight cut got to Tagen. Hopefully he’d be better at 149

Looking at Flo's rankings they have Jordan at #19. The only guy ranked ahead of him that he has a win over is #15 Willochell from Wyoming that he beat 13-11. They have Echemendia from ISU in there instead of Swiderski.

Flo has Tagen ranked 10th at 141 and he has wins over #4, #7, #11, #14, #16.
We will blow their rankings out of the water. I’ll bet not only my ant farm on it, but even the dog house. 😉

I love the fact that there is a curtain in there.

I will call our staff the "Wizards of Odds" as in odds on favorite to whip some a**!
Doucet is looking right… (preface by saying that I’m thinking about Operation Red Shirt again) What if KD somehow finds a semblance of offense this offseason? That feels insane to think about but Wyatt taking summer trips and KD being dialed in makes me think.

Doucet is looking right… (preface by saying that I’m thinking about Operation Red Shirt again) What if KD somehow finds a semblance of offense this offseason? That feels insane to think about but Wyatt taking summer trips and KD being dialed in makes me think.
I noticed him too. I noticed JWill finally in a pic, which I hope is good.

But to your point. I've been thinking about KD with the departure of CC and of course Wyatt's absence.

KD is super hard to score on and has some close matches with some podium guys. The Wizards of Odds should surely be able to help him create a bread/butter attack to help him win at a higher rate. I keep coming back to Crutchmer here. The entire Gym knew a blast double was coming and it worked time after time.

If he could get one solid, sure fire offensive set, he actually could AA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT