ADVERTISEMENT

New Wrestling Facility

Are we talking about the north attachment to GIA that was part of the larger $250mm+ project benefitting many sports? It so, I didn’t realize they were raising money for each part of the project individually. Or, is this the stand alone facility that would be built to the east of GIA that has been tossed around as an idea for a long time?

Are we talking about the north attachment to GIA that was part of the larger $250mm+ project benefitting many sports? It so, I didn’t realize they were raising money for each part of the project individually. Or, is this the stand alone facility that would be built to the east of GIA that has been tossed around as an idea for a long time?
I believe the north GIA attachment that was released a few months ago.

I mean something as simple as a tweet or bar graph online that shows fundraising status and goals? like maybe a short summary about what the goal is to break ground? Maybe 80% of funds raised to break ground?

Should not take Larry Reese going on a local Mickey Mouse radio station to get this info. At the time he was discussing Boone’s latest donation and just took a couple seconds and mentioned wrestling.

Reactions: slickr3
No, it's part of the whole project, and yes we are actively trying to raise money for several of the projects. It's the North Attachment seen in the proposal.

I believe the north GIA attachment that was released a few months ago.

I mean something as simple as a tweet or bar graph online that shows fundraising status and goals? like maybe a short summary about what the goal is to break ground? Maybe 80% of funds raised to break ground?

Should not take Larry Reese going on a local Mickey Mouse radio station to get this info. At the time he was discussing Boone’s latest donation and just took a couple seconds and mentioned wrestling.

I can find out what the goal is and the progress towards it.

As far as why they haven't announced anything... I mean how often is anybody affiliated with OSU wrestling invited to do any sort of media? Outside of the podcast, there just isn't much opportunity. Larry Reece isn't going on the sports animal or whatever y'all's sports radio is like up there (I would argue that it's as Mickey mouse and cut rate as triple play but that's for another thread). The Oklahoman nor the World have shown much interest in covering anything positive going on at OSU across any sport. Seth left PFB and is mostly turning his focus to Oklahoma high school wrestling. The program isn't really gatekeeping information... There just isn't really anywhere to put it. Maybe we should write the CWC newsletter more frequently? It's posted on the member's side of the website. https://www.cowboywrestlingclub.com/

There's also a transition happening with the SID for wrestling again. The person who had been the SID for the last three years is moving on.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
In the fund raising profession a general rule of thumb is that you don't announce how much of a goal has been raised publicly until a certain percentage of the total goal is achieved. The large donors being approached will be informed obviously. And generally speaking, it should have one large donation that is a third to half of the needed amount to kick off the more targeted asks. In this case if the $7M of the $25M needed has been raised it shouldn't be announced. At least 50% should be raised before announcing anything.

No, it's part of the whole project, and yes we are actively trying to raise money for several of the projects. It's the North Attachment seen in the proposal.
So this is really a big nothing burger. Until one individual steps forward with a $25M gift for a named facility and thus encouraging smaller gifts to match the $25M (see baseball) then we really don't have much to talk about. :(

I've mentioned this before, but has there been any discussion about possibly creating a Rokfin channel?

I know not everyone has a subscription, but many do, including recruits and parents. It's one way to help promote the program. You could have interviews with wrestlers & coaches, updates on RTC members, NWHOF stories about past Cowboy greats (play up the Home of Wrestling angle), podcasts, etc.

Reactions: tom_v31
I've mentioned this before, but has there been any discussion about possibly creating a Rokfin channel?

I know not everyone has a subscription, but many do, including recruits and parents. It's one way to help promote the program. You could have interviews with wrestlers & coaches, updates on RTC members, NWHOF stories about past Cowboy greats (play up the Home of Wrestling angle), podcasts, etc.
I'm not interested in doing business on Rokfin.

I'm not interested in doing business on Rokfin.
Ok, but I didn't mean you specifically. I was referring to the team/CWC. There are several schools with an RTC channel.

Based on your reply, I'm guessing you're not a big fan as a content creator?

Reactions: tom_v31
Ok, but I didn't mean you specifically. I was referring to the team/CWC. There are several schools with an RTC channel.

Based on your reply, I'm guessing you're not a big fan as a content creator?
Which schools?

Which schools?
There are a bunch. I don't follow any of them though. Looking more closely, many of the channels seem dormant or rarely post. Some of the active ones include PSU, NCSt, UNC & Wisconsin.

Maybe Rokfin wouldn't provide that much exposure. Otherwise teams like Iowa, Michigan, Ohio St would probably be more active.

It's a fair point - they could do a lot more with existing channels. Blast it on Instagram, those pages are pretty active. Put it in the O'Colly/Newspress/Oklahoman/Tulsa World. Put it in Flowrestling/Intermat. IME with media sometimes you have to be persistent... they might not want your story this week, but check in weekly or so and eventually there will be gaps to fill.

There is. Its called OSUmax. You have to pay for it though. They upload all of John's radio shows and do mini story line videos throughout the year. Not super wrestling heavy because it covers all OSU sports, but its something.

Based on your reply, I'm guessing you're not a big fan as a content creator

The podcast is an official channel of the Cowboy Wrestling Club.

There are a lot of reasons I'm not crazy about Rokfin. The newsletter and videos are posted on cowboywrestlingclub.com in the members only portion of the site.

We could start publicly posting those things. I'm not big on keeping stuff behind a paywall as we grow the audience.

There is. Its called OSUmax. You have to pay for it though. They upload all of John's radio shows and do mini story line videos throughout the year. Not super wrestling heavy because it covers all OSU sports, but its something.
Yep. I think OSUMax is geared more for the hardcore OSU fan. I was really talking about the prospective OSU fan (& recruit). Rokfin reaches that audience, but again, you have to pay.

Seems like twitter, instagram & maybe a free newsletter might be the way. As examples, the GWH, Guerrero, Heil, Geer & Traub additions were all good news. But I only knew about them because of posts on here. Maybe I missed it elsewhere or it was behind a paywall.

As examples, the GWH, Guerrero, Heil, Geer & Traub additions were all good news. But I only knew about them because of posts on here. Maybe I missed it elsewhere or it was behind a paywall.
Same. These hires are HUGE but no press about them. Even on here people don't know that we've added 5 coaches/volunteers in the last two offseasons. Meanwhile media oulets like Flo, Intermat, NCAA.com, ESPN, etc are blasting out all kinds of news about other programs, and not just about Iowa/Penn State/Michigan etc. So it's like, is it intentional secrecy? Media bias against OSU? Pokes not trying very hard to get press?

Here, NDSU loses two athletes and a coach, they get an article. It has to be doable folks lol

If KU can come up with $300M for football complex, don't you think OSU could quickly raise $50M for wrestling? How many championships has KU won?

Same. These hires are HUGE but no press about them. Even on here people don't know that we've added 5 coaches/volunteers in the last two offseasons. Meanwhile media oulets like Flo, Intermat, NCAA.com, ESPN, etc are blasting out all kinds of news about other programs, and not just about Iowa/Penn State/Michigan etc. So it's like, is it intentional secrecy? Media bias against OSU? Pokes not trying very hard to get press?

Here, NDSU loses two athletes and a coach, they get an article. It has to be doable folks lol
It’s been awhile but in the past the press releases (stories) would be written by someone in the university and then transmitted to the media for them to either use verbatim or incorporate into a story.

Reactions: cachap5327

I could not agree more.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
Does anyone know where we stand on fundraising for the RTC? A couple of months ago I was told we have a little under 8M in cash and pledges.

Back to the topic. Hope the program starts back up hill, we could use an injection of energy and a fresh face.

Wouldn’t mind a newsletter going out to Alumni or something indicating where we stand with fundraising but being 30% there in only a few months is fantastic imo.

Seems like Chad has hit the ground running on the fundraising trail. Kudos.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT