ADVERTISEMENT

New Recruiting Thread

Sure but there wasn't much point in burning Haas' redshirt because the points weren't going to be replaced for Ferrari.

And we recruit over guys all the time. Look no further than the log jam from 133-165 coming in. Reece Witcraft is a top 24 recruit and NCAA qualifier that is looking like he's going to spend the majority of his career on the bench. Carter Young, VV, Travis Mastro, Jordan Williams, Angelo Ferrari... All of those guys are top 20 recruits in their classes. Then you've got Teague Travis and Luke Mechler in that range that are good developmental prospects. Cael Hughes is committed in this range. He's a top 20 prospect.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
I don’t like living in the future for 15 years.We need to try and act like we want to WIN THIS year every year.The future is not promised.

I feel like other programs are not “saving” their true freshman.If they they have a weight with an injury it is next man up thinking.

Sure but there wasn't much point in burning Haas' redshirt because the points weren't going to be replaced for Ferrari.

And we recruit over guys all the time. Look no further than the log jam from 133-165 coming in. Reece Witcraft is a top 24 recruit and NCAA qualifier that is looking like he's going to spend the majority of his career on the bench. Carter Young, VV, Travis Mastro, Jordan Williams, Angelo Ferrari... All of those guys are top 20 recruits in their classes. Then you've got Teague Travis and Luke Mechler in that range that are good developmental prospects. Cael Hughes is committed in this range. He's a top 20 prospect.
If Haas is taking down AJ in the room he’s gotta be a pretty high placer. Nobody else at 197 can do it.

I don’t think we have the confidence in our ability to bringing in top notch recruits year in and year out.We seem to try to “save” our recruits instead of recruit over them each year.

Plus yeah injuries happen so it is highly unlikely to go through an entire year without injuries so saying we are going to compete in the future without plugging in a legitimate backup in Ian crazy.Stika has heart but we did not roll out our best guy.I guarantee you regardless of weight Haas can beat Stitka.
The swings and misses we’ve had on a few really highly ranked recruits hurts. I know it happens to all schools, but with only 9.9 scholarships there isn’t much room for error. I feel like John thinks he can turn anyone into a champion. Some of these guys don’t want to put in that effort, it interferes with their social life. Cut them loose and get someone who does. With the portal it makes that easier.

If Haas is taking down AJ in the room he’s gotta be a pretty high placer. Nobody else at 197 can do it.

Sure but they didn't really know about AJ until the last week, right? Haas is probably walking around over 220. May not have had the time to get on decend and get the conditioning up.

Was just too late in the season to expect to replace Ferrari's or Wittlake's points anywhere.

I think wrestling Haas must have been considered and then they decided against it.

The timing was...
1/24: AJ's accident
1/29: Haas wrestled in an Open (@ 197 not 184)
2/14: John announced AJ was done for the year

IMO Haas beating Stika wouldn't justify pulling the redshirt. You would also want there to be a somewhat reasonable chance that Haas could AA @ 197. That weight is stacked, so maybe the coaches thought gaining just a few points at Nationals wasn't worth it.

The Thompson/Barr match didn't happen at the Border Brawl, not sure why. Landyn Sommer wrestled and won. Chris Kiser wrestled twice and went 1-1.

Thompson pulled out due to injury.
We did not have anyone at the Pittsburg classic but there were some good matches. Joey Cruz lost a clear decision to the Pennsylvania wrestler he is going to OU. Seltzer from Indiana who is going to missouri won a solid decision. Sprately won a solid decision and he is going to Minnesota. Mendez was very impressive and was 1 point from a tech fall, he is going to Ohio State. Hunter Garvin won a close decision( Stanford over Arrington who is going to NCSU. Haines Penn. St. beat Riggins Iowa easily. Singleton who is going to NCSU won impressively. Whiting who is going to Missouri win a close decision over Wehmeyer. Rogers got beat by Stout in a close decision. Feldman pinned Harley Andrews at HWT. The 2 most impressive wrestlers were Mendez and Feldman both going to Ohio St. I think I remember 2 years ago at 220 who's number 1 it was Feldman who surprising at that time beat Kyle Haas so bad. Not so surprising now since Feldman is the number 1 wrestler pound for pound in this class.

Reactions: JAY45
Feldman…

We did not have anyone at the Pittsburg classic but there were some good matches. Joey Cruz lost a clear decision to the Pennsylvania wrestler he is going to OU. Seltzer from Indiana who is going to missouri won a solid decision. Sprately won a solid decision and he is going to Minnesota. Mendez was very impressive and was 1 point from a tech fall, he is going to Ohio State. Hunter Garvin won a close decision( Stanford over Arrington who is going to NCSU. Haines Penn. St. beat Riggins Iowa easily. Singleton who is going to NCSU won impressively. Whiting who is going to Missouri win a close decision over Wehmeyer. Rogers got beat by Stout in a close decision. Feldman pinned Harley Andrews at HWT. The 2 most impressive wrestlers were Mendez and Feldman both going to Ohio St. I think I remember 2 years ago at 220 who's number 1 it was Feldman who surprising at that time beat Kyle Haas so bad. Not so surprising now since Feldman is the number 1 wrestler pound for pound in this class.
Kody Routledge from Edmond won the freshman 145 weight class at the NHSCA National High School Championships winning 6 matches in a row.

Reactions: turfpoke
I’m hearing women’s program coming soon. Also that we shouldn’t count on middle Ferrari for anything unless he turns some things around completely. Some concerns about AJ staying a full 3 years due to any number of things.

I’m hearing women’s program coming soon. Also that we shouldn’t count on middle Ferrari for anything unless he turns some things around completely. Some concerns about AJ staying a full 3 years due to any number of things.
giphy.gif

I will take the UNDER on AJ completing three more full seasons of wrestling at OSU. Injuries aside.

Real woods would be big. I think he is a slight favorite at 141 right now. That would give us 3 title contenders with him Daton and Ferrari. Would be a lock for a team trophy and possibly the favorites with no RBY. Carter young could redshirt. This would be huge!

A whole lot to take in here. Let’s start with Anthony, what’s his deal? I’ve been hearing this mentioned on this board a few times before.

The more money AJ gets thrown at him the less focused I fear he will become. I remember John smith saying that he lived off $1,000 a month when he was peak training. He claimed all his endorsements were a distractions. Probably why he doesn’t care for the NIL.

I really like Real Woods, he is my favorite to win 141 next year. Would love to get him. Unfortunately any weight Penn St doesn’t have a current finalist at we need to just accept that they will use the portal to fill those gaps aggressively.

Why didn't he wrestle for Stillwater High this year? He was still posting workout videos to his social media.

Reactions: driad
I think Real Woods would have been a Cowboy last year if Stanford would not have save the program. Not sure how much that carries over to this year.

From Stillwater citizenry very plugged in…..Wasn’t told specifics, just that Anthony is more than a handful. Lots of trouble of a relatively serious nature and frequent. The youngest one is not that way.

With AJ the concern is another school with a big offer, leaving school all together to go earn, with a little worry about focus and staying out of trouble. AJ is a good kid but does things that beg for trouble. He needs to learn to play it safe. He is a target for people to try to get him in trouble and he doesn’t need to make it easier for them.

Women’s program was strongly implied by someone who would absolutely know.

From Stillwater citizenry very plugged in…..Wasn’t told specifics, just that Anthony is more than a handful. Lots of trouble of a relatively serious nature and frequent. The youngest one is not that way.

With AJ the concern is another school with a big offer, leaving school all together to go earn, with a little worry about focus and staying out of trouble. AJ is a good kid but does things that beg for trouble. He needs to learn to play it safe. He is a target for people to try to get him in trouble and he doesn’t need to make it easier for them.

Do you think Anthony will be able to get his head on straight?

Not to be that guy but is it rude to go into specifics? Like... traffic tickets, illegal weapon possession, substance abuse, domestic violence? Does he mouth off in class versus is he assaulting people? There's a big difference there. The "people in the know" also danced around G's specific problems for years, and there have been many references to "problem kids" and "partying" in the program... I'm just not sure why bad behavior is treated with such a white glove. So Joe Smith drank too much - what's the harm in just saying that rather than saying something vague like "some kids aren't focused on wrestling"? I mean I'm all about the Okie niceness and I respect a father's desire to protect their children or a coach's desire to protect their athletes but in some cases it may be better to be honest than to save face.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT