ADVERTISEMENT

New Recruiting Thread

You're right but I just don't see it happening. They just don't pass the eye test. Hope I'm very wrong.

Could've said that about a lot of guys in the past though. Josh Kindig. Nolan Boyd. Heck.. Preston Weigel... Sometimes it takes a little time, but the time is for sure running out for Wittlake.

Plott, idk. If he would just get the confidence in his shoulder. His one loss this season that is just inexcusable is the one at Missouri. The other two I can get over pretty quick... especially UNI, where he was the clear aggressor and just get caught. It happens. Ask Spencer Lee.

I don’t know if Witlake has the mentality and if Plott has the health to be those guys.

I think Young, Ferrari, Williams and Haas are our next potential stars.

Agree on Young and Haas.

I hope all of y'all are right on Williams.

I agree on Angelo Ferrari. Anthony... I just haven't seen him wrestle enough. His junior year is really the only time we've seen him.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
Could've said that about a lot of guys in the past though. Josh Kindig. Nolan Boyd. Heck.. Preston Weigel... Sometimes it takes a little time, but the time is for sure running out for Wittlake.

Plott, idk. If he would just get the confidence in his shoulder. His one loss this season that is just inexcusable is the one at Missouri. The other two I can get over pretty quick... especially UNI, where he was the clear aggressor and just get caught. It happens. Ask Spencer Lee.
It’s going to take 3 to 4 finalists and 3 to 4 mid all Americans. Not everyone has to be a multiple time national champ. I just hope we can get 8 studs that can put together around 120 team points. 3 to 4 finalists gets you to 65-85. The other 3 to 4 get 45-60. Still work to do, but the future is as bright as it has been in a while.

Reactions: OAMC99
Is there any word on where Marc-Anthony McGowan might end up? He’s a Blair kid and I thought with the Mastro boys we might have a good chance at him.

I think in a couple of years we are going to need a 125 lb’er. I feel like Mastro is really going to struggle making the weight by his JR year and I think Cael Hughes will probably end up at 133. If Hughes can make 125 then great. Otherwise I don’t see anyone we have on deck.

It sounds like Cooper Birdwell is looking good & Zach Blankenship is signed

Reactions: osu2082
Another potential target...MJ Gaitan, a 160 out of CA in the class of 2022. Currently #35 on Willie's Big Board, but he will probably make a big jump soon. Signed a LOI with Cal Baptist in Nov, but Willie said there's a chance he might not end up there.

Won Super32, beating PSU top 10 PFP recruit Levi Haines in the finals. Last night he beat Iowa top 25 PFP recruit Aiden Riggins 8-1. Has an unorthodox style and is very good on top. Jim Gibbons said Gaitan reminds him of former Cowboy champ Stephen Barrett.

Projects as a 165. The key is where the coaches think Anthony Ferrari & Jordan Williams project. For 149-174, you could go Williams/Ferrari/Gaitan/Thompson.

Here is a long term projection I think the first one is the one Is the one prefer especially the gap year thing because that will get the most years out of everyone and stretch some things out. Especially with 5 guys having 3 years of eligibility after this year and the way we’re recruiting I think it would be good to try and stretch the 2023 class as much as possible

125 Mastro x 2, Blankenship x 3

133 Fix x 2, Mastro

141 Young x 3, Hughes x 4

149 Voinovich/Mastro x 4

157 Williams, Ferrari x 4

165 Wittlake x 2, Williams x 3

174 Plott x 3, Ferrari x 4

184 Haas/Montalvo x 2, Thompson x 4

197 Ferrari x 3, Robb x 4

285 Surber x 3, Mullen x 4

Mullen Robb and Hughes

take gap years

125 Mastro, Blankenship x 4

133 Fix x 2, Mastro x 2

141 Young x 3, Hughes x 3

149 Voinovich/Mastro x 4

157 Ferrari, Williams x 4

165 Wittlake x 2, Ferrari x 3

174 Plott x 3, Thompson x 4

184 Haas x 3, Ferrari x 4

197 Ferrari x 3, Haas

285 Surber x 3 Robb x 3

Thompson takes gap year

How many times over the past 20-30 years has a guy started his career and then redshirted in the middle of it? Kindig and Daton Fix come to mind. I can’t think of any others.

Joe smith did but it didn’t go well. I’m just trying to get as many of our recruits all 4 years as possible it can obviously play out differently

Austin Marsden was another recent guy who redshirted after his first year.

Willie implied ISU is after Gaitan. If they get him, they'll have a very nice recruiting class with Swiderski & Rojas.

Ok_Longhorn, I've also tried to figure out how to make the lineup work. But since we'll be in contention for a title the next few years, maybe we are at the point where we just wrestle the best guy at the weight? For example, if Jordan Williams is a 149 and he beats Voinovich & Mastro then he goes. Or if Mullen beats Surber at heavy then he goes.

Yep got to put the best guy out no matter what. Everything will work itself out from there.

Projections are a ton of fun though.
I’ve seen too many injuries and off the mat issues to even guess anymore. I just hope one of these incoming freshmen and one of the guys redshirting can come in and be a top 5 guy. That with AJ, Fix, Plott, Wittlake, Mastro, and Surber would be superb.

I’ve seen too many injuries and off the mat issues to even guess anymore. I just hope one of these incoming freshmen and one of the guys redshirting can come in and be a top 5 guy. That with AJ, Fix, Plott, Wittlake, Mastro, and Surber would be superb.

Very confident about Young and Haas. But yes to all of that.

Reactions: JAY45
How many times over the past 20-30 years has a guy started his career and then redshirted in the middle of it? Kindig and Daton Fix come to mind. I can’t think of any others.
John Smith did and it went ok. That's amaizing to know that that was 36 years ago... crazy.

When was the last time we pulled a redshirt off a freshman blue chip recruit mid season? I wish the coaches were not so stubborn with pulling our redshirts if needed due to injury of a starter. Haas comes to mind with AJ’s injury. I get not wanting to burn a redshirt season half way through but if it helps the team potentially win a NC then I believe it would be worth it. Iowa did it with Spencer Lee and now with Drake. I’m not so much speaking from the past or currently as I am looking towards the future with some of the recruits we have coming in the next few years and our title chances. Although I think Haas would help with team points if we bumped him to 197, we aren’t winning any title this year so clearly that wouldn’t be worth it. It just crossed my mind when I was reading above about how we should allow the best guys to start regardless of experience. I like what we did putting Carter Young out there over Dusty. I also think that it just goes to show you our current depth problem at several weights.

When was the last time we pulled a redshirt off a freshman blue chip recruit mid season? I wish the coaches were not so stubborn with pulling our redshirts if needed due to injury of a starter. Haas comes to mind with AJ’s injury. I get not wanting to burn a redshirt season half way through but if it helps the team potentially win a NC then I believe it would be worth it. Iowa did it with Spencer Lee and now with Drake. I’m not so much speaking from the past or currently as I am looking towards the future with some of the recruits we have coming in the next few years and our title chances. Although I think Haas would help with team points if we bumped him to 197, we aren’t winning any title this year so clearly that wouldn’t be worth it. It just crossed my mind when I was reading above about how we should allow the best guys to start regardless of experience. I like what we did putting Carter Young out there over Dusty. I also think that it just goes to show you our current depth problem at several weights.

Timing plays a role as does what you have in the backup. Haas is a 184 so not only would we be burning his RS, we would be doing so and pushing him up a weight.

Kaid Brock.

Haas was complicated because they didn't know if AJ was coming back, and would be putting him up a weight. I think they just decided to punt and then they'd be ok at 165 and 157 but that didn't really pan out either.

This year really just became a punt right before Big 12's and that sucks... but it's not like the future isn't bright.

Also have to remember that we wrestled several freshmen last year and this year. I'm sure that will be true next year with at least one true freshmen in the lineup.

Also everybody has depth problems. Iowa happened to have a true freshman waiting for Spencer to finish out at 125 and they knew early enough that they could roll with him... but they didn't make that decision until after his results at the Southern Scuffle. They'd be pretty toast at 174-184 if Kemmerer went out which is why he did tough it out. Same at the upper weights.

Penn State had to go get a coach off of SDSU's bench to have a guy qualify at 157/165... and pulled the 125 out of retirement to do the same.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
Chris Pendleton who I believe was put in the lineup due to an injury to Ty Wilcox.

My example on Haas bumping up to 197 to replace AJ was that I understand why we didn’t do it as it wasn’t the right decision to make currently, but let’s just pretend and say we were fighting for a team title this year do you think our coaches would of our pulled his RS to bump him up to 197 to hopefully get some points to allow us the best chance to win a title or perhaps bump Geer up to 197 and Haas at 184. I know we haven’t been in that position in several years where we were very close team race wise at winning a title but just looking towards the future with all the guys coming in I wonder if we will see more willingness to get the best guy out there regardless of class or redshirt to win a title.

My example on Haas bumping up to 197 to replace AJ was that I understand why we didn’t do it as it wasn’t the right decision to make currently, but let’s just pretend and say we were fighting for a team title this year do you think our coaches would of our pulled his RS to bump him up to 197 to hopefully get some points to allow us the best chance to win a title or perhaps bump Geer up to 197 and Haas at 184. I know we haven’t been in that position in several years where we were very close team race wise at winning a title but just looking towards the future with all the guys coming in I wonder if we will see more willingness to get the best guy out there regardless of class or redshirt to win a title.

I absolutely do think that they would have if the replacement points were possible. Up until then, the people in that room thought a national title this year was realistic.

We have been close several times in the last 11 or so years... I think that if there has ever been a point where they thought they could get a few more team points by pulling a guy out, they would have. Joe Smith, Kaid Brock, etc...

Have been a bit snake bit in a lot of instances too. Boo Lewallen is an example of a guy that probably would have been a 4x AA had he not had so many injury issues.

If Z doesn't slip in 2013 and if Jon Morrison wrestles to seed in 2014, there's two national titles in the last decade and we probably all feel a little bit better about the next few years.

I don’t think we have the confidence in our ability to bringing in top notch recruits year in and year out.We seem to try to “save” our recruits instead of recruit over them each year.

Plus yeah injuries happen so it is highly unlikely to go through an entire year without injuries so saying we are going to compete in the future without plugging in a legitimate backup in Ian crazy.Stika has heart but we did not roll out our best guy.I guarantee you regardless of weight Haas can beat Stitka.

Reactions: KILLEVIDENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT