ADVERTISEMENT

New Recruiting Thread

Not to be that guy but is it rude to go into specifics? Like... traffic tickets, illegal weapon possession, substance abuse, domestic violence? Does he mouth off in class versus is he assaulting people? There's a big difference there. The "people in the know" also danced around G's specific problems for years, and there have been many references to "problem kids" and "partying" in the program... I'm just not sure why bad behavior is treated with such a white glove. So Joe Smith drank too much - what's the harm in just saying that rather than saying something vague like "some kids aren't focused on wrestling"? I mean I'm all about the Okie niceness and I respect a father's desire to protect their children or a coach's desire to protect their athletes but in some cases it may be better to be honest than to save face.
Not rude but why discuss an 18 yr old's problems on this board. #1 why disclose it if you are just posting hear-say which is the case most of the time and #2 it is just fodder for our opponents and does not in any way help our program. In addition problems come and go and to any way discourage or denigrate our wrestlers can come back to bite us in the ass. At age 18 I would not have wanted my current life choices posted anywhere. I think it is fair to criticise a wrestler if he is not wrestling well and it is constructive criticism but getting into character, bad choices even can change in a heartbeat for a juvenile is unproductive and might well be harmful to his future in wrestling and in life. A lot of times fans think they have a "right to know these things" and they really do not.

It is none of our business nor should we judge the character of a 18yo kid based off of a lack of information or hear say. However as fans of OSU wrestling and the fact that it has been mentioned several times on this thread that there are some apparent issues I think we can all agree that is a concern not just for the kid but for the program. I think that's where the curiosity sets in. I doubt anyone on this board wants to know the details so they can judge him accordingly, I think its more or less just to know how it might be a problem or potentially effect the program moving forward. There are a lot of people, myself included that think Anthony can and will start next year. From how and what was said it makes it seem like that might not be a possibility. I do believe that our coaches can get him in check and help him get focused and ready. Hoping all the best for him regardless.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
It is none of our business nor should we judge the character of a 18yo kid based off of a lack of information or hear say. However as fans of OSU wrestling and the fact that it has been mentioned several times on this thread that there are some apparent issues I think we can all agree that is a concern not just for the kid but for the program. I think that's where the curiosity sets in. I doubt anyone on this board wants to know the details so they can judge him accordingly, I think its more or less just to know how it might be a problem or potentially effect the program moving forward. There are a lot of people, myself included that think Anthony can and will start next year. From how and what was said it makes it seem like that might not be a possibility. I do believe that our coaches can get him in check and help him get focused and ready. Hoping all the best for him regardless.
I guess that's what I was getting at. Not "what dirt can we find on anybody, I have a right to know!!". Not at all. Not my business. More like, after some vague reference gets mentioned (like "XYZ has issues") the sixth time it makes me wonder okay... what is it and why does it keep getting brought up? Is it a big deal worth fans knowing about? Or not at all because honestly who didn't have some screw-ups in their teenage years or early 20s? Because that's also how rumors spread, which isn't great either.

But yeah, I'm also a little nosy at times so feel free to check me :)

Reactions: oberebo
If it was anything too awfully bad it would have been in the newspapers. Haven’t seen that so it’s just a learning experience. He is going to be a stud that knows how to fight for wins.

Real woods officially in the transfer portal. Looks like Penn state but if not I would think ok state is in the running. Fingers crosssed!!

If Penn St continues to get all these top transfers to fill their gaps then they deserve very little praise for their continued success. At what point does all of this become unhealthy for the sport? As a fan of wrestling in general I am completely sick of them running the table so I would hope that every program that's not PSU is even more so. Right now if they continue to develop a few hammers and then transfer in 2-3 other contenders I don't know how you can compete for a team title if you are just using the best guys that are at your disposal. Even though I think its a distraction I'm okay with the NIL situation, but the new transfer portal changes are terrible for sport and create such a advantage for a small number of programs that in no way is everyone on a equal playing field.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Yeah I 100% hate that Penn state dominates but it is what it is. In my opinion it’s all about money. But in the real woods situation he graduates from Stanford in may. He would have to get into grad school to stay at Stanford. I don’t think it’s a done deal. Hopefully our staff can sway him over.

Some of the scuttlebutt out there about NIL. Like RTCs earlier, there's plenty of smoke. This isn't your father's college wrestling anymore.

- Askren tweeted a rumor that PSU's RTC offered Real Woods $100K in NIL. After he picked Iowa, Mineo tweeted Iowa's RTC offered $200K.
- A poster on the Iowa board says Suriano got over $150K in NIL from Michigan. That poster seems to have some connections to ISU. Suriano had visited PSU, OhioSt, ISU & Michigan.
- Jesse Mendez was reportedly offered $80K/yr in NIL by Indiana before he picked OhioSt.

I think parity is good. If Penn St got Real Woods I would say they would be heavy favorites for the next 2 years. Now that he’s at Iowa I think it’s possible Iowa could be in the trophy hunt they lose a lot. Ok state is still going to finish higher at Ncaas next year than Iowa.

I think parity is good. If Penn St got Real Woods I would say they would be heavy favorites for the next 2 years. Now that he’s at Iowa I think it’s possible Iowa could be in the trophy hunt they lose a lot. Ok state is still going to finish higher at Ncaas next year than Iowa.
PSU & Iowa probably aren't done with the portal yet. Iowa needs a 157 and who knows what PSU will do.

I also think it could be tight with Iowa at Nationals. Returning AAs/top scorers...

Ferrari/Lee - both champs, but Lee will bonus more
Fix/Woods - Daton finalist, Woods possible finalist, but at least top 3
Plott/Cass - Plott 3rd-5th, Cass possible finalist, but at least top 4
Wittlake/Warner - Wittlake 3rd-8th, Warner possible finalist, but at least top 6

PSU & Iowa probably aren't done with the portal yet. Iowa needs a 157 and who knows what PSU will do.

I also think it could be tight with Iowa at Nationals. Returning AAs/top scorers...

Ferrari/Lee - both champs, but Lee will bonus more
Fix/Woods - Daton finalist, Woods possible finalist, but at least top 3
Plott/Cass - Plott 3rd-5th, Cass possible finalist, but at least top 4
Wittlake/Warner - Wittlake 3rd-8th, Warner possible finalist, but at least top 6
Yeah I agree it’s going to be close but I think our young guys perform better at ncaas. Mastro had the worst draw possible on the backside but he improved in year two. I except Young and Surber to improve greatly with it being year 2 in the line up. With Voinovich, Haas, and either Jordan Williams or Anthony Ferrari anything you get from them is bonus. All I would like to see from those guys is that they get better throughout the year so they can be factors in 2024.

From Stillwater citizenry very plugged in…..Wasn’t told specifics, just that Anthony is more than a handful. Lots of trouble of a relatively serious nature and frequent. The youngest one is not that way.

With AJ the concern is another school with a big offer, leaving school all together to go earn, with a little worry about focus and staying out of trouble. AJ is a good kid but does things that beg for trouble. He needs to learn to play it safe. He is a target for people to try to get him in trouble and he doesn’t need to make it easier for them.

Women’s program was strongly implied by someone who would absolutely know.
Who the heck would coach our women’s program?

Some of the scuttlebutt out there about NIL. Like RTCs earlier, there's plenty of smoke. This isn't your father's college wrestling anymore.

- Askren tweeted a rumor that PSU's RTC offered Real Woods $100K in NIL. After he picked Iowa, Mineo tweeted Iowa's RTC offered $200K.
- A poster on the Iowa board says Suriano got over $150K in NIL from Michigan. That poster seems to have some connections to ISU. Suriano had visited PSU, OhioSt, ISU & Michigan.
- Jesse Mendez was reportedly offered $80K/yr in NIL by Indiana before he picked OhioSt.
Just trying to wrap my head around where is this $$ coming from? Local rich folks that want to see their programs get top recruits... and the AD helps ensure that these deals happen?

Reactions: vhsalum
Just trying to wrap my head around where is this $$ coming from? Local rich folks that want to see their programs get top recruits... and the AD helps ensure that these deals happen?
Big 10 and SEC schools seem to have very generous donors. OSU wrestling did get a big donation to build new locker rooms in the past year. Need that kind of money to keep rolling in for NIL and RTC recruiting.

I guess that could be considered a strong sign as to how good and ready Haas is. If Montalvo believed he would be healthy and ready to win the spot at 184 then why would he transfer? Better opportunity for money/NIL deal elsewhere? Uncertainty about his ACL injury, thus maybe the coaches have already indicated that it's Haas spot for the taking. Montalvo didn't blow me away with his talent, but the guy wrestled as tough as they come, was a workhorse and had a great motor. He really surprised me his freshman year stepping in at 184 and qualifying for nationals as a borderline AA. I'm certain he will get picked up soon if all is good with his injury and I would guess he probably lands somewhere back West where he is closer to home. Best of luck to him.

Reactions: colcord and DPJ

I need someone to help me out and explain how the RTC programs of these universities can offer NIL money to transfers? I thought NIL money had to come from outside sources, like companies sponsoring wrestlers. I guess as long as RTC programs are technically unaffiliated with that college they can do that, but it still seems to be awfully shady. Am I understanding this correctly? I’m still trying to play catch up with all that’s happening.

I need someone to help me out and explain how the RTC programs of these universities can offer NIL money to transfers? I thought NIL money had to come from outside sources, like companies sponsoring wrestlers. I guess as long as RTC programs are technically unaffiliated with that college they can do that, but it still seems to be awfully shady. Am I understanding this correctly? I’m still trying to play catch up with all that’s happening.
This is my confusion as well. The role that the university plays in connecting athletes with businesses/donors.

Never listen to FRL anymore, but did today because they had Chris Pendleton on to talk NIL & the portal. He said it's a 100% certainty that college transfers and recruits are being promised NIL $. Said he had a recruit tell him he was promised a certain amount by a school and asked Chris what he could do for him.

Also talked about some other stuff - training & recovery, his time at OSU, etc, - good interview.

It's just like the job market - employers are having to work a lot harder to attract and retain talent. It's a paradigm shift for sure.

Flo came out with there 2023 (junior) big board
13 Cael hughes
17 Brayden Thompson
35 Jersey Robb
That is pretty in line with Willie at Matscouts who said he will be doing a updated 2023 big board this week. The main difference right now is Willie has Jersey Robb in the top 25

Never listen to FRL anymore, but did today because they had Chris Pendleton on to talk NIL & the portal. He said it's a 100% certainty that college transfers and recruits are being promised NIL $. Said he had a recruit tell him he was promised a certain amount by a school and asked Chris what he could do for him.

Also talked about some other stuff - training & recovery, his time at OSU, etc, - good interview.
Did you see all the reports last week where Larry Lee was calling around offering NIL deals? HE targeted some of Chris's wrestlers... Don't know the truth, but that's what was being was being said last week. NIL is opening a flood gate of unexpected problems.

Did you see all the reports last week where Larry Lee was calling around offering NIL deals? HE targeted some of Chris's wrestlers... Don't know the truth, but that's what was being was being said last week. NIL is opening a flood gate of unexpected problems.
Yes, that's why I listened to FRL. Chris wasn't asked directly about the tampering allegations. Here's the interview if anyone is interested. Chris comes on around the 48 minute mark.

Reactions: PoOsKuE
Not to provoke turfpoke, but a thread on tOSU's prospects on themat forum got me thinking about this board's talk of "next year" and the great recruiting classes. Looking at the two discussions leads me to the conclusion that the big boards, recruit rankings, flo majors, multiple junior national championships convince every team that success is just around the corner. Everybody thinks they are gonna have the tools ... next year ... or the year after ... or when x weight classes empty out.

Last edited:
Flo came out with there 2023 (junior) big board
13 Cael hughes
17 Brayden Thompson
35 Jersey Robb
That is pretty in line with Willie at Matscouts who said he will be doing a updated 2023 big board this week. The main difference right now is Willie has Jersey Robb in the top 25

When Robb focuses on wrestling, like Blakenship, he's going to be great. Really excited about these Bixby guys.

Not to provoke turfpoke, but a thread on tOSU's prospects on themat forum got me thinking about this board's talk of "next year" and the great recruiting classes. Looking at the two discussions leads me to the conclusions that the big boards, recruit rankings, flo majors, multiple junior national championships convince every team that success is just around the corner. Everybody thinks they are gonna have the tools ... next year ... or the year after ... or when x weight classes empty out.

Well is the glass half full, half empty, or are the contents of said glass piss?

All about outlooks and mindsets. I sure hope that the people that are actually in the room and on the mat believe that they can win national titles. Otherwise, what's the point?

Not to provoke turfpoke, but a thread on tOSU's prospects on themat forum got me thinking about this board's talk of "next year" and the great recruiting classes. Looking at the two discussions leads me to the conclusions that the big boards, recruit rankings, flo majors, multiple junior national championships convince every team that success is just around the corner. Everybody thinks they are gonna have the tools ... next year ... or the year after ... or when x weight classes empty out.

You provoked ME! Haha jk

It does show the thread of similarity between sports fans. PSU, OSU, ASU, Denver Broncos, whatever... we all have hope that our teams will achieve bigger and better things.

Not to provoke turfpoke, but a thread on tOSU's prospects on themat forum got me thinking about this board's talk of "next year" and the great recruiting classes. Looking at the two discussions leads me to the conclusion that the big boards, recruit rankings, flo majors, multiple junior national championships convince every team that success is just around the corner. Everybody thinks they are gonna have the tools ... next year ... or the year after ... or when x weight classes empty out.

I think we’ll have a shot when we’ve got 7-8 in the quarters, 4-5 in the semis, and 3-4 in the finals. For 7-8 All Americans.

Reactions: CowboyUp61
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT