ADVERTISEMENT

NCAAs 2022

Plott has a tough match against #4 seed Hidlay who was seeded #2 last year at 157 and finished 6th. He has three losses this year to #1 Starocci 10-3, #2 Mekhi 3-2 and #10 Lautt by fall. He has a win over Kekhi by 3-1 SV and #3 Kemerer 5-3. Plott easily beat Lautt last night so hopefully Plott will have the size advantage and can bust another move on Hidlay.

He also beat Nelson Brands in Brands' last match this year. I don't remember if Brands was hurt before or during that match.
That sucked, I missed the first takedown and I guess a reversal only seeing the slip throw at the end. Oh well, 6th seed wresting for 5th. Also totally missed who won/lost the other 174 match either will be a tough matchup

I've gone back to look, and had some incredibly bad luck this year AND this tourney! I know Wrestling happens on the mat, not paper but...

125-Both losses to guys in the conso semis
133-lets hope he gets it done
141- Micic had to injury default but looked like AA and Willits is in semis
149- got beat by two AAs
157- got beat by the 1&2 seed
174- happy for him
184- beaten by two AAs
285 - his losses sucked

So basicly, we were actually tons better represented than we think. I really wanted to see G and Sheets make the podium and thought Geer would pull it off again.

Either way, it wasn't the aggregate belly flop everyone seems to think it was. Our shortcomings turn out not to be that short. We were a healthy Wittlake and AJ, as well as some bracket love away from a 5-7 AA and 2 finalist performance.
I’m putting my money on Anthony Ferrari being ready to go at 157. Why?
1. His dad has been training him since he could walk.
2. His older brother is a stud like we’ve arguably never seen. Confidence won’t be a problem.
3. Because it gives me hope that we can put 4-5 in the semis with AJ, Fix, and Plott.

Plott has Massa for 5th. I believe Hidlay was a 2 time finalist at 157. Dustin grew up a lot during this tournament and should have silenced the haters.
Plott should be top 3-4 next season with Hidlay, Massa, and Kemerer gone.
I said he wrestled poorly against UNI, Missouri etc. during that stretch. I am really excited he won the Big 12's and wrestled tough last night. When someone is wrestling poorly and you point it out does not make you a hater. I was just saying the truth. With this year I am not going to be saying how great we are wrestling and what a good year we are having. I really hope Plott ends with a win this year and really hope Daton ends the year with a win.

I’m putting my money on Anthony Ferrari being ready to go at 157. Why?
1. His dad has been training him since he could walk.
2. His older brother is a stud like we’ve arguably never seen. Confidence won’t be a problem.
3. Because it gives me hope that we can put 4-5 in the semis with AJ, Fix, and Plott.
Can we hire his dad as S&C coach?

I said he wrestled poorly against UNI, Missouri etc. during that stretch. I am really excited he won the Big 12's and wrestled tough last night. When someone is wrestling poorly and you point it out does not make you a hater. I was just saying the truth. With this year I am not going to be saying how great we are wrestling and what a good year we are having. I really hope Plott ends with a win this year and really hope Daton ends the year with a win.
You feeling guilty Harley? The reality is there isn’t much that you don’t criticize. 90% negative. 10% positive. Don’t take it personal, I’m just speaking the truth.

You feeling guilty Harley? The reality is there isn’t much that you don’t criticize. 90% negative. 10% positive. Don’t take it personal, I’m just speaking the truth.
No, I don't feel guilty. I think this season I have been 80% negative and 20% positive which fits with the season we have had. We took forth at Big 12's. We lost duals to UNI, Iowa State, Missouri and Iowa. We have 2 All Americans and are tied for 14th in the Nation. Unless we are winning and wrestling good I will be negative. Turf don't worry about it.

No, I don't feel guilty. I think this season I have been 80% negative and 20% positive which fits with the season we have had. We took forth at Big 12's. We lost duals to UNI, Iowa State, Missouri and Iowa. We have 2 All Americans and are tied for 14th in the Nation. Unless we are winning and wrestling good I will be negative. Turf don't worry about it.
Don’t quote me in your comments if you don’t want a reply. Funny how you bash every wrestler constantly, only give backhanded compliments, but get butthurt if someone says something to you.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
This wasn't the best year for OSU wrestling with only 2 AA's.. Does anyone know where we would be team wise if AJ had wrestled? I have a hard time believing that he wouldnt have won the weight again this year..
125 - wrestled pretty good all year, just got out horsed at the end. given where everyone else placed, we would have had to wrestle great to get 5th of 6th

133 - should win it

141 - we all had high hopes for Young given the people he beat this past summer. I dont think those hopes ever really materialized as he got handled several times by older guys and looked like a guy 1 year out of high school. he had a shot to sneak into the top 8 if he had gotten the right seed, I realize you cant count on that.

149 - with a better seed he could have possibly ended up in a better spot in the consolation side.

157 - He had a outstanding tournament last year. He ran into several hammers this year and got handled by guys that were not good enough to place themselves. he is a tough kid that I was always happy to see wrestle, I wonder if the years didnt finally catch up with him as he looked worn out by the end.

165 - tough kid that got hurt and could have placed had he not gotten hurt.

174 - Plott got better as the year went on and gained confidence, 6th at this weight this year is something to be proud of.

184 - see my comments at 157.

197 - would have likely won it, my wife thinks we may have seen the last of him based on his twitter activity, I think he could go down as a all time cowboy great.

hwt - surber wrestled tough all year and just wasn't good enough in a loaded weight. more weights and drilling and the weight class clearing out will help going forward.

as mentioned in other posts, Penn State has the edge with their coaching staff and the eye they have on who they can work with and develop.

Reactions: leecothran
This wasn't the best year for OSU wrestling with only 2 AA's.. Does anyone know where we would be team wise if AJ had wrestled? I have a hard time believing that he wouldnt have won the weight again this year..
125 - wrestled pretty good all year, just got out horsed at the end. given where everyone else placed, we would have had to wrestle great to get 5th of 6th

133 - should win it

141 - we all had high hopes for Young given the people he beat this past summer. I dont think those hopes ever really materialized as he got handled several times by older guys and looked like a guy 1 year out of high school. he had a shot to sneak into the top 8 if he had gotten the right seed, I realize you cant count on that.

149 - with a better seed he could have possibly ended up in a better spot in the consolation side.

157 - He had a outstanding tournament last year. He ran into several hammers this year and got handled by guys that were not good enough to place themselves. he is a tough kid that I was always happy to see wrestle, I wonder if the years didnt finally catch up with him as he looked worn out by the end.

174 - Plott got better as the year went on and gained confidence, 6th at this weight this year is something to be proud of.

197 - would have likely won it, my wife thinks we may have seen the last of him based on his twitter activity, I think he could go down as a all time cowboy great.

hwt - surber wrestled tough all year and just wasn't good enough in a loaded weight. more weights and drilling and the weight class clearing out will help going forward.

as mentioned in other posts, Penn State has the edge with their coaching staff and the eye they have on who they can work with and develop.
One take from your excellent post. I'm scared we won't see AJ wrestle for 3 more years either. Nothing negative to say about him, but his life from social media does not look like a college kid who will stick around. However, family is huge to him; it appears, and he does have two younger brothers in line to wrestle for OSU, so hopefully, we will be wrong. Could be a 4x champion.

One take from your excellent post. I'm scared we won't see AJ wrestle for 3 more years either. Nothing negative to say about him, but his life from social media does not look like a college kid who will stick around. However, family is huge to him; it appears, and he does have two younger brothers in line to wrestle for OSU, so hopefully, we will be wrong. Could be a 4x champion.
I could be wrong but I don’t think he’ll bail after 2 years. I bet he wants to be a 4 timer

Last edited:
Gable Stevenson is the only one that has impressed me.
He’s been taken down and held to a dec. I think he’s being out worked by his competition. I remember back when nobody had taken him down and he 100% bonus rate.

Reactions: bwel9339

133 - should win it

Right now if Wittlake and AJ were wrestling we’d be in 4th-5th range.

Don’t quote me in your comments if you don’t want a reply. Funny how you bash every wrestler constantly, only give backhanded compliments, but get butthurt if someone says something to you.
I thought I was just explaining myself, agreeing I am negative but usually for a reason. Also my message was this is how I feel which might be right or might be wrong or neither. This is a message or opinion Board so let people give their message or opinion. My responding to your quote was about the haters. I did point out for a stretch Plott wrestled poorly and I have pointed out he does not seem to be as good at shooting takedowns as he was in his junior year of high school. But Plott seems like a hard working, tough, gives his all in a match young man. I bet that Dustin after the UNI and Missouri duals was very upset with himself and feeling like he had wrestled poorly. I certainly don't hate him or hate the Cowboy Wrestling Program. I want us to win number 35. Heck I point out certain matches Daton Fix did not wrestle good and Daton is great.

133 - should win it

125- beaten by two AAs 4 and 5
141- beaten by 4 in overtime and past AA
149- beaten by 4 and past AA
157- beaten by 1 and 2 seed...3 and finalist
184- beaten by finalist and 7

So, maybe I’m reading your post wrong, but I think you assessment is a tad off? We had zero bracket love.

But, the outcomes may have been the same regardless?

I honestly think something needs to change with our training. I mentioned it earlier, but our guys don’t seem excited to be there?

I also hope your wife is wrong on AJ!

Reactions: bwel9339
I thought I was just explaining myself, agreeing I am negative but usually for a reason. Also my message was this is how I feel which might be right or might be wrong or neither. This is a message or opinion Board so let people give their message or opinion. My responding to your quote was about the haters. I did point out for a stretch Plott wrestled poorly and I have pointed out he does not seem to be as good at shooting takedowns as he was in his junior year of high school. But Plott seems like a hard working, tough, gives his all in a match young man. I bet that Dustin after the UNI and Missouri duals was very upset with himself and feeling like he had wrestled poorly. I certainly don't hate him or hate the Cowboy Wrestling Program. I want us to win number 35. Heck I point out certain matches Daton Fix did not wrestle good and Daton is great.
For most wrestlers you are going to see a huge leap from their 2nd to 3rd year. Plott should have gained a lot of confidence and hopefully he winds up a 3xer. I don’t put much stock into how they looked in HS because their bodies, and their opponent’s bodies change so much that first couple of years in college.

For most wrestlers you are going to see a huge leap from their 2nd to 3rd year. Plott should have gained a lot of confidence and hopefully he winds up a 3xer. I don’t put much stock into how they looked in HS because their bodies, and their opponent’s bodies change so much that first couple of years in college.
The guy from Penn State might have something to say about Plott being a 3xer; he’s going for his 2nd championship as a sophomore. Any reality in your posts or just dream scenario?
PS, Plott had a great tournament! But 3xer is not in the cards

The Penn St guys are having fun bc they are winning. They are in a winning program and surrounded by others who are winning. If that’s not inspiring or a kick in the ass to beat the guy in front of you then I’m not sure what is. Right now PSU is on a historic run of championships and I’m sure being apart of that makes their guys keep the focus on nationals a priority. College wrestling is a year round job if you want to be great. I’m not sure what kind of off-season programs PSU has for their guys but for OSU I know we only have a few guys wrestling freestyle and I always hear before the season how some of our guys put on a ton of weight in the off-season. Putting on that kind of weight and then cutting isn’t good on the ole knees and bones and joints as well as the wear mentally holding it down. Might be a correlation from the injuries we seem to have more than other programs.

The one thing I have noticed that Penn st does better than anyone else is finish their shots. Almost every time they get to the legs they finish. I would say we are about 50/50 on that. Also, PSU guys are relaxed and patient, they don’t rush their offense which typically leads to few mistakes. We have a tendency to take a lot of half sloppy shots and get caught and taken down. I saw it a lot this weekend with Mastro, Plott and Geer. PSU guys win matches on their feet bc they are very athletic and fast. That’s something I hope we can start to put more focus on recruiting wise. AJ is a freak and Daton is athletic as well, we need more of that.

anyway a lot of unfortunate things happened this season with injuries causing some bad losses and thus bad seeds. We had some bad draws at 2 maybe 3 weights. We had 2 AA’s from last year out. Had those guys wrestled we would likely be looking at 4 AA’s. None of these things are the coaches fault.

I was hopeful that we could get at least 4 AA’s this year but knew that would be a push. I was disappointed in Geer and Mastro for most of the second half of the season. Mastro was clearly dealing with some mysterious injuries that apparently can’t heal in 2 1/2 months and Geer I think was suffering burnout. We got what I expected out of both tournament time.

overall it was a disappointing season with not much you can take away from besides Plott and hopefully Fix winning it. It would be nice to have some positive momentum going into the off-season but I think with this new very young team we will see some mat hungry guys in the room next year.

I don’t think it’s time to hit the panic button on John Smith but I do think it’s time for some adjustments internally. If In the next 3 years we don’t have a NC and nothing has appeared to have changed within the program then it will be time for a coaching change, but I don’t think you get rid of a John Smith. You just appoint him to a Coordinator position.

Reactions: NittanyChris
125- beaten by two AAs 4 and 5
141- beaten by 4 in overtime and past AA
149- beaten by 4 and past AA
157- beaten by 1 and 2 seed...3 and finalist
184- beaten by finalist and 7

So, maybe I’m reading your post wrong, but I think you assessment is a tad off? We had zero bracket love.

But, the outcomes may have been the same regardless?

I honestly think something needs to change with our training. I mentioned it earlier, but our guys don’t seem excited to be there?

I also hope your wife is wrong on AJ!
It seems like we are saying the same thing, all be it, a little different. Nothing I wrote was meant as a criticism to anyone, they were just observations.. One thing that has surprised me is the effect of the super seniors this year. I thought they would have more of an impact and the reality seems to be that the years caught up with some of them and their performance went down.. The other part of the extra year or years some people have gotten seems to show itself with how up for grabs lots of matches seem to be and some weights turned out to be.. there is also something to being in a conference that isn't as much of a grind and being in a position to get a good spot on the bracket.

Reactions: chasepollard
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT