ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Possible Seeds?

OState Cowboys

Redshirt
Gold Member
Oct 28, 2008
With all the lineup changes taking place, what are the likely seeds for the OSU contingent at NCAA's?

I was thinking that (provided he wins Big 12's) Picc could be the #1 seed at 125, leaving Lee and Rivera to battle out the other side of the bracket. If Rivera beats Lee again at Big 10's, would he get the 1 seed over an undefeated Picc who presumably won Big 12's?

How would Joe get seeded at 165 now, assuming he handles the cut well at Big 12's and wins also?

With all the lineup changes taking place, what are the likely seeds for the OSU contingent at NCAA's?

I was thinking that (provided he wins Big 12's) Picc could be the #1 seed at 125, leaving Lee and Rivera to battle out the other side of the bracket. If Rivera beats Lee again at Big 10's, would he get the 1 seed over an undefeated Picc who presumably won Big 12's?

How would Joe get seeded at 165 now, assuming he handles the cut well at Big 12's and wins also?

Some guesses...

125 - 1 or 2 (depending on Big 10s)
133 - 1 or 2 (depending on Big 10s)
141 - 12
149 - 8
157 - 24
165 - Joe will be very low/ Rogers 10-12
174 - 8-10
184 - 16-20
197 - 3-5
295 - 2

Some guesses...

141 - 12
149 - 8
157 - 24
174 - 8-10
184 - 16-20
197 - 3-5
295 - 2

I agree with that other than 65 and 84. Unless it's Chandler, there won't be a ton of matches to comp. at 65 and none at 84.

Some guesses...

141 - 12
149 - 8
157 - 24
174 - 8-10
184 - 16-20
197 - 3-5
295 - 2
82, I thought Weigel looked so much better than that #4 rated kid yesterday that he would probably beat that kid every time.

I agree with that other than 65 and 84. Unless it's Chandler, there won't be a ton of matches to comp. at 65 and none at 84.

You have to remember they will see everyone this year so when I saw Joe would be seeded very low it's because he won't have much seeding data at 165.

Geer is in a bit of a similar situation but was 7-0 at 184 before bumping up. He will get a chance to pickup wins against Colbray and Foster which is why he won't be as low as Joe (assuming he wins).

82, I thought Weigel looked so much better than that #4 rated kid yesterday that he would probably beat that kid every time.

Totally agree. His seeding might be hurt due to lack of data points. He will only have 10 matches and none against the top 3 at the weight which might hurt his seeding. If firing at 100% he is the clear #2 at this weight.

Reactions: AtownPoke
Forgive my stupidity in these cases, but if we have known about the cuts since Boo's last shoulder injury.....could Chandler have made the cut to 57? Seems like if that was a possibility it's better than having Chandler or Joe not be available at Nationals.

Geer and weigel wont allocate spots for the conference both being 5-0.Also Chandler will allocate a spot so John will do the right thing and sit Joe

Forgive my stupidity in these cases, but if we have known about the cuts since Boo's last shoulder injury.....could Chandler have made the cut to 57? Seems like if that was a possibility it's better than having Chandler or Joe not be available at Nationals.

My uniformed guess is that is simply a cut Chandler can't make.

Reactions: osu2082
Geer and weigel wont allocate spots for the conference both being 5-0.Also Chandler will allocate a spot so John will do the right thing and sit Joe

He might but it isn't decided and Joe will have a chance to make the weight and wreslte for the spot. John has made it clear they will have to battle for the spot.

He might but it isn't decided and Joe will have a chance to make the weight and wreslte for the spot. John has made it clear they will have to battle for the spot.
I don't see John taking a allocation away from the league.Also do you know who Oklahoma St listed as guys to be allocated at each weight? Because Joe isn't 1 of them.I don't see John having Chandler allocate a spot then put Joe in and have that spot taken.If John thought Joe was the guy he wouldve listed him at 165 instead of Chandler.John had a interview talking about the lineup changes and said you gotta see who allocates spots you don't want to take spots from your conference

Last edited:
I don't see John taking a allocation away from the league.Also do you know who Oklahoma St listed as guys to be allocated at each weight? Because Joe isn't 1 of them.I don't see John having Chandler allocate a spot then put Joe in and have that spot taken.If John thought Joe was the guy he wouldve listed him at 165 instead of Chandler.John had a interview talking about the lineup changes and said you gotta see who allocates spots you don't want to take spots from your conference

He did say that but it was in reference to 157. He also said (on two different occasions) the two would battle it out for 165. There is zero reason for Joe to be making the cut to 165 if the decision is made for Chandler to be the guy. They will go with the best guy. Joe will need to show he can make and handle the cut and then will need to beat Chandler (perhaps a few times). If he does that he will go at the big 12's and have to qualify.

I believe he can't list Joe as an allocation for 165 because he doesn't meet the criteria.

He did say that but it was in reference to 157. He also said (on two different occasions) the two would battle it out for 165. There is zero reason for Joe to be making the cut to 165 if the decision is made for Chandler to be the guy. They will go with the best guy. Joe will need to show he can make and handle the cut and then will need to beat Chandler (perhaps a few times). If he does that he will go at the big 12's and have to qualify.

I believe he can't list Joe as an allocation for 165 because he doesn't meet the criteria.
It has nothing to do with a criteria every team has to submit starters at each weight class with records and if they have a RPI or not.Chandler was listed at 165 not Joe.So when the big 12 allocations come out Chandler will have allocated a spot.If Big 12 gets 6 guys and they enter Joe then they would go down to 5 just don't see John doing that

It has nothing to do with a criteria every team has to submit starters at each weight class with records and if they have a RPI or not.Chandler was listed at 165 not Joe.So when the big 12 allocations come out Chandler will have allocated a spot.If Big 12 gets 6 guys and they enter Joe then they would go down to 5 just don't see John doing that

I promise you it isn't settled. It might be soon but the plan is to get Joe to weight and wreslte off. John is very aware of the impact in allocations but he will go with the best guy.

There is no downside to listing Chandler, regardless. If you list Joe, he doesn't earn a spot. If Chandler wins the wrestle-off at that point, you don't get that allocation back. If you list Chandler now and Joe wins the wrestle-off you lose the spot, but you would have anyway. If you don't know who the starter will be, Chandler is the obvious choice to list in this situation.

Some guesses...

141 - 12
149 - 8
157 - 24
174 - 8-10
184 - 16-20
197 - 3-5
295 - 2

As for these guesses (solid work, by the way), I'll guess:

125 - dead on
133 - Locked into the 2 unless Micic gets beat or Fix takes a loss
141 - If he wins the Big 12 (tough, but doable...Alber is the best and Kaid had him on the ropes), top 8...otherwise 12 looks right. Could drop further with a bad tournament.
149 - Tough weight to seed right now. If G wins the Big 12, 6-8. If not, he probably slips outside the top 10.
157 - Yeah
165 - Joe 24-28, too few matches to even have a coaches ranking at 165, very few quality win points/H2H. If he loses at Big 12s, he probably drops into the 29-33 range. Chandler is top 10 with a Big 12 title.
174 - If he wins Big 12s, he'll be undefeated at the weight. I'd look for a top 6 seed at that point, maybe top 4 depending on what happens elsewhere.
184 - All about the Big 12s again. Win it and he is undefeated at 184, top 10 at worst, maybe top 8.
197 - Looks like a 2 barring a loss. Ahead of Moore who won't be a conference champion or be undefeated.
285 - 2 all day.

I think John's concern is maximizing the points that OSU can score at NCAA. Both Chandler & Joe can get in even if seeded last in B12. I dont think he will be concerned about 1 less wrestler making it from the conference.

I think John will do what is best for Oklahoma State which is what he should do. If Joe beats Chandler twice in wrestle offs I think Joe will go because he is our best wrestler at 65. If Joe beats Chandler twice we don't have to worry about 5 or 6 allocations Joe will be in the finals. If Joe isn't working real hard Chandler will beat him and he will be our 165. The Joe at the Southern Scuffle at 65 would have a chance to win 65. He went over 6 minutes even with Mark Hall. I don't know if the weight cutting to get to 65 would allow that unless he was committed 100% to wrestling. Chandler was a star yesterday but I don't see him as a threat to win 65 but he can place 4 through 8. He does not seem to be able to do his pinning stuff with the top guys who are stronger and have better techniques. Of course I could be wrong about this.

With no weigh ins for 2 weeks they are not held to any weight loss protocols, it would make sense to have Joe show he can make it be effective and hold it for two weeks.

Not sure how anyone can say Joe gives OK St a better chance to score more points at NCAA when he hasn't competed at the weight yet this year.To me way more to it then wins and losses Chandler has done everything asked of him and made the weight when asked and didn't take 5 months to make his certified weight.Sitting Chandler just isn't the right thing to do regardless of who wins.Just my opinion but you know what they say they're like A**holes everyone has them.

Reactions: birdman1117
Not sure how anyone can say Joe gives OK St a better chance to score more points at NCAA when he hasn't competed at the weight yet this year.To me way more to it then wins and losses Chandler has done everything asked of him and made the weight when asked and didn't take 5 months to make his certified weight.Sitting Chandler just isn't the right thing to do regardless of who wins.Just my opinion but you know what they say they're like A**holes everyone has them.

I don't think that's an unreasonable take. Personally, I would like to see Chandler & Jacobe get their shots as graduating seniors. But wrestling is about earning your spot on the mat. Makes it harsh and great at the same time.

It's a tough situation and one I'm sure John wishes he didn't have to deal with but as @Wrassler17 said it's a sport where you earn and fight for your spot.

If you have two talented wrestlers for one spot you wreslte and see who wins. I think in this particular case there will likely be a few others things John will need to see but if a 2x returning AA can get to and hold the weight and then wins the wreslte off it would be very hard to sit him and could be viewed as not doing the right thing.

It's a tough situation and one I'm sure John wishes he didn't have to deal with but as @Wrassler17 said it's a sport where you earn and fight for your spot.

If you have two talented wrestlers for one spot you wreslte and see who wins. I think in this particular case there will likely be a few others things John will need to see but if a 2x returning AA can get to and hold the weight and then wins the wreslte off it would be very hard to sit him and could be viewed as not doing the right thing.
I understand but you earn and fight in the off season also and should never be so far overweight that it takes you months to get to your certified weight.If Joe wrestles conferences at 165 he will be the only wrestler in D1 making his certified weight for the first time at the conference tournaments

I understand but you earn and fight in the off season also and should never be so far overweight that it takes you months to get to your certified weight.If Joe wrestles conferences at 165 he will be the only wrestler in D1 making his certified weight for the first time at the conference tournaments

To be fair he would have moved down to 165 earlier had Preston not been injured causing Jacobe and Geer to bump up. We would have seen Joe at 165 by the Scuffle.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Totally agree. His seeding might be hurt due to lack of data points. He will only have 10 matches and none against the top 3 at the weight which might hurt his seeding. If firing at 100% he is the clear #2 at this weight.

I hope you are right, but I am not sure he is the clear #2 as the Ohio State wrestler will be a tough match. There is a big gap between Nikal and everyone else.

Last edited:
Is this the Conference Line Up? Or are other changes possible? Thank You in Advance.

125-Pic
133-Fix
141-Brock
149-Gfeller
157-Sheets
165-Chandler or Joe Smith
174-Jacobe Smith
184-Geer
197-Wiegel
285-White

I hope you are right, but I am not sure he is the clear #2 as the Ohio State wrestler will be a tough match. There is a big gap between Nikal and everyone else.
Bo is on a level by himself at 197 but I do feel Preston could give him some issues with his strength . You have to survive the first period with Bo and keep it close and try to turn him when you get him down

To be fair he would have moved down to 165 earlier had Preston not been injured causing Jacobe and Geer to bump up. We would have seen Joe at 165 by the Scuffle.

Not sure why this point gets overlooked.

Is this the Conference Line Up? Or are other changes possible? Thank You in Advance.

125-Pic
133-Fix
141-Brock
149-Gfeller
157-Sheets
174-Jacobe Smith
184-Geer
197-Wiegel
285-White

This is it. I guess there is a small chance Rogers could bump up and challenge at 174 but I don't see that as likely at all. The only roster battle will be at 165. I'm guessing Joe will need to make and hold 165 a few times and then assuming he does that, he will wreslte Chandler for the spot with the winner going to the Big12's.

anyone know when entries have to be submitted to the conference, or is it just who shows up at weigh in time?

What is the status of Shomers & Geo? I think Shomers if healthy might be a better option than Sheets.

125-Pic
133-Fix
141-Brock
149-Gfeller
157-Sheets
174-Jacobe Smith
184-Geer
197-Wiegel
285-White

How could he be better if he cant make 157? White would be better than Picc at 125 but it's not gonna happen.

That is the first I have heard of Shomers not being able to make 157, what do you base that statement on? BTW the White/Picc reference might be the most asinine statement an OSU fan has made on this board. I hope you are smarter than that comparison makes you look.

That is the first I have heard of Shomers not being able to make 157, what do you base that statement on? BTW the White/Picc reference might be the most asinine statement an OSU fan has made on this board. I hope you are smarter than that comparison makes you look.

John mentioned it in a post match interview a month or so ago. Said he really struggled with the cut and didn't want to make it anymore. I do think he also mentioned that he may have turned a corner with it though. Would have to go back and watch again.

Have you never heard of HYPERBOLE? :eek:

And not even close to the most asinine. ;)

Reactions: okstatefan
John mentioned it in a post match interview a month or so ago. Said he really struggled with the cut and didn't want to make it anymore. I do think he also mentioned that he may have turned a corner with it though. Would have to go back and watch again.
And beside the cut issue and effectiveness at 57 the NCCA weight drop regs apply, pretty sure (check the Sun wt sheet) he can't make it per the weekly limit.

IMO Sheets has ability to score more points at 57.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT