ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA PORTAL

My old bosses kid turned down scholarship money to Cal Baptist so he could wrestle for free with him at N Co.

Bet he is pissed

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
TV numbers on ESPN for ncaas were up over 10% this year I believe. OSU fan attendance was pretty good this year too.

Also of note was March madness started same time as wrestling and numbers were still up. They need to really plan to have it a week or two before that.

Agree with why you’re upset but would disagree viewership is down. The small schools have rarely had big followings.

Edit: just checked. Finals numbers were down. Certain sessions or day were up, but Saturday night was down. Again I think CBB has something to do with that.
Its horrible scheduling to have wrestling coincide with the basketball torny, but have that 10 days off after conference and before nationals is nice so that guys can rest up and get healthy. Also, I think people are tired of watching a PSU dual in the finals so maybe that's why it was down as well. We need more programs to catch up with the times and until that happens with NIL becoming such a big thing it is going to end up being 5-6 different programs in the finals every year.

Pat loves trolling Iowa
The problem with "influencers". They'll do a lot for consistent attention lol
Its horrible scheduling to have wrestling coincide with the basketball torny, but have that 10 days off after conference and before nationals is nice so that guys can rest up and get healthy. Also, I think people are tired of watching a PSU dual in the finals so maybe that's why it was down as well. We need more programs to catch up with the times and until that happens with NIL becoming such a big thing it is going to end up being 5-6 different programs in the finals every year.
Right, see College Football. Same group of teams in the top 10 every year. Viewership isn't down because of it. But football games are a reasonable length for standard entertainment, unlike wrestling tournaments.

Not to make this a "fix the sport" post but the postseason is weird overall. It's like they try to cram 4 weeks' worth of wrestling into 5 days so it's no wonder people don't want to watch. Fans have long enough to lose momentum (2-3 weeks with no action from any team is a long time, and that happens twice in March) and then they're expected to pause their lives for 2-3 entire days at a time and navigate the crazy amount of brackets and mat cameras AND refresh on a completely different scoring system. It's a pretty big ask even for die-hard fans.

If instead we had dual championships over those 4 weeks (similar to postseasons of basketball/baseball/football) the athletes still get to rest, fans of all levels can tune in, it's a reasonable request on peoples' time, there's more storylines, there's more consistent action to keep folks interested, there's tons more advertising opportunities, and I'd bet money that the viewership goes up. Anyways lol

Last edited:
Don't be surprised if he stops by.
Ya I mean I would like to think every big name would at least entertain us, or I guess let us entertain them…..

While I agree some of the numbers were are hearing seem absurd, it would also be crazy to me if we landed Hamiti and Hendrickson and Alirez in the same portal…

Would also be a dream come true though ha

@blair2000 thoughts on Sammy Brooks claim that Hendrickson is going to get a 1mil $$ package?!
Come on now. 4 timer CStar was supposedly offered $400k to return for a 5th title, so why would Hendrickson get a $1M offer as a one timer? He doesn't change the equation for any team at this point. Some of these numbers are getting into the funny status.

Reactions: bwel9339
Come on now. 4 timer CStar was supposedly offered $400k to return for a 5th title, so why would Hendrickson get a $1M offer as a one timer? He doesn't change the equation for any team at this point. Some of these numbers are getting into the funny status.
I don’t believe it for a second hahaha but this is the only former wrestler sharing his thoughts so it’s an interesting take.

Willie on the Iowa board: “it'll be OKST or Iowa but i have no idea who leads rn. there was a bunch of smoke at the US Open that Alirez was going to go in and it was all iowa but i know there were convos with OK ST.“
Interesting.

Who says they don’t just move guys around and make room for Alirez?
I agree. I don’t mind bringing in a couple transfers to fill some gaps but brining in a 1 year rental for a hefty sum doesn’t jive well with me knowing there are promising young guys who will get benched and ultimately transfer out. You build championships by development not by buying one.

Reactions: bwel9339
I agree. I don’t mind bringing in a couple transfers to fill some gaps but brining in a 1 year rental for a hefty sum doesn’t jive well with me knowing there are promising young guys who will get benched and ultimately transfer out. You build championships by development not by buying one.
You’re wrong and you don’t know what weight anyone is going . Let me know how you fell next march

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT