ADVERTISEMENT

Lineups for next year

Next year I would guess that the lineup would be 25= Mastrogiavanni fr. , 33= Fix soph. , 41= Gfeller jun. , 49= Lewallen sen. , 57 Sheets jun. , 65= Wittlake soph. , 74 Stika ? soph. , 84=Montalvo soph., 97= Geer sen. , HWT Purdue transfer ?.
2021-22
125= Burks Fr.
133= Fix jun.
141= Witcraft soph.
149= Gfeller sen.
157= Sheets sen.
165= Wittlake jun
174= Plott Fr.
184= Montalvo jun.
197= Ferrari Fr.
HWT=Doucet Ff.
Next year our team should be a little better than this year. The next year as you indicate a team championship is possible. I think we should redshirt our true freshman and then redshirt older Mastro if he wrestles as a true freshman. Difficult task because who knows what will happen with our young wrestler with abilities but also weight. I also think that maybe Montalvo if he does not jump levels could get pushed out of the lineup. 2022-23 will likely be our best chance to win.

Looks good. Have to think Surber will push to get into the lineup somewhere between 157-174.

Reactions: osu2082
John is very strategic on redshirts. My thought would be shirt the heavier guys if you have a good option on the mat now. The guys under 149 seem to perform about as well as underclassmen as Juniors and Seniors. If John thinks the freshman is a substantial improvement he will pull the shirt.

I think what he did with Johny Hendricks was a good indicator as we had a pretty good wrestler (I think it was Kevin Ward) on the mat and Hendricks in the room.

John is very strategic on redshirts. My thought would be shirt the heavier guys if you have a good option on the mat now. The guys under 149 seem to perform about as well as underclassmen as Juniors and Seniors. If John thinks the freshman is a substantial improvement he will pull the shirt.

I think what he did with Johny Hendricks was a good indicator as we had a pretty good wrestler (I think it was Kevin Ward) on the mat and Hendricks in the room.
I remember Hendricks not starting well and improved a lot during the year when he was a redshirted freshman.

I was in Cleveland on business and the National Duals were there. I think Ward was beating Hendricks in the room and Hendricks was struggling to make weight. Both Hendricks and Ward were there and the defending National Champion I think it was Ryan Bertin of Michigan) was wrestling and Hendricks beat him in overtime. I don't think Johny looked back after that. That would have been his second year wrestling as a redshirt Freshman.

I agree with you completely but will say I'm not sure we have many good options on the mat for the heavier weights. If Streck is an option that will definitely help.

I agree with you completely but will say I'm not sure we have many good options on the mat for the heavier weights. If Streck is an option that will definitely help.
Our 2020 class is fantastic but if I had 1 concern for them in the future it would be injuries. Most of our class has missed over half of their senior year with injuries. Of course not 1 of them could struggle with injuries down the road. We have been hit hard by injuries in the past that has hurt our team accomplishments. Hopefully in these next years we get some break instead of being broke.

Our 2020 class is fantastic but if I had 1 concern for them in the future it would be injuries. Most of our class has missed over half of their senior year with injuries. Of course not 1 of them could struggle with injuries down the road. We have been hit hard by injuries in the past that has hurt our team accomplishments. Hopefully in these next years we get some break instead of being broke.

I agree to an extent. The good thing is most all of them have had a relatively injury free career throughout their HS career.

The silver lining is that being on the shelf allows them to heal their entire body. Sometimes I think these guys wrestle to much and go to hard without any downtime. This will allow for that and could be a positive.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Thanks, just curious as I’m sure it’s a fluid situation. Didn’t know how aggressive they would be to get a title next year with the talent coming in and our young guys maturing another year (Gfeller, fix, whitlake, taco)

With the 2nd semester starting today, a quick search of the Student directory shows that Streck is enrolled but at NOC Stillwater, the only Markus Simmons enrolled spells Marcus a different way, and there are no Marsdens enrolled.

Thanks for the update, but don't like the results. I guess Streck at NOC means maybe next year he will wrestle and we will not need to use a Redshirt for a Freshman Heavyweight.

If we end up getting Streck next year, what do you do with 197? I continue to believe that Geer is undersized at 197 and will have a tough time repeating as an AA at that weight. The top weights could be:

184--Geer
197--Ferrari
HWT--Streck

That would give us three very strong candidates to at least AA. Of course, that assumes that Ferrari can make 197 and perform well there. It also leaves Montalvo out of the lineup, but I think that will inevitably happen anyway.

If we end up getting Streck next year, what do you do with 197? I continue to believe that Geer is undersized at 197 and will have a tough time repeating as an AA at that weight. The top weights could be:

184--Geer
197--Ferrari
HWT--Streck

That would give us three very strong candidates to at least AA. Of course, that assumes that Ferrari can make 197 and perform well there. It also leaves Montalvo out of the lineup, but I think that will inevitably happen anyway.
I think letting Ferrari wrestle 197 would be the smart play, if we think he is still growing. So we get at least some time out of him at 197. If so, Montalvo can probably wrestle 174 in this scenario, allowing Plott a redshirt if necessary. So many choices.

A little off topic...but with the posts about whether Ferrari can make 197, did anyone notice ISU's Colbray is @ 174 now?

He went 197 his first 2 years, then 184 last year. The kicker though - he wrestled 220 at Fargo in 2016, saying he cut down from 226. So he's dropped 52 lbs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT