ADVERTISEMENT

Lineups for next year

SquinkY5786

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2005
whats the best case lineups for 2020? Do we have a shot or still a year or two away?

Reactions: AtownPoke
Best case?

125 - Picc
133 - Fix
141 - Kaid or G
149 - Boo
157 - Balmeceda/Sheets/Shomers
165 - Joe or Witlake
174 - Witlake or Joe
184 - Motavalo or Geer
197 - Geer
285 - Purdue Transfer

Fix might take an Olympic RS. The other questions will be Smiths and Geers weight. I also don't think Boo will ever make it back.

Best case?

125 - Picc
133 - Fix
141 - Kaid or G
149 - Boo
165 - Joe or Witlake
174 - Witlake or Joe
184 - Motavalo or Geer
197 - Geer
285 - Purdue Transfer

Fix might take an Olympic RS. The other questions will be Smiths and Geers weight. I also don't think Boo will ever make it back.
Who is the Purdue transfer

Best case?

125 - Picc
133 - Fix
141 - Kaid or G
149 - Boo
165 - Joe or Witlake
174 - Witlake or Joe
184 - Motavalo or Geer
197 - Geer
285 - Purdue Transfer

Fix takes the shirt I think?

125-Picc
133-Brock
141-G
149-Boo
157-Sheets...I think he finds his slickness in neutral
165-Witlake
174-Joe
184-Geer
197-?
285-?

So, depending on how the two questions roll out, we are a year away, if that.

@
Best case?

125 - Picc
133 - Fix
141 - Kaid or G
149 - Boo
165 - Joe or Witlake
174 - Witlake or Joe
184 - Motavalo or Geer
197 - Geer
285 - Purdue Transfer

@osu2082 you think there’s any chance Shomers competes at 165, moving JoJo to 174?

157 seemed like a tough cut for Shomers.

Reactions: skylinepoke
@

@osu2082 you think there’s any chance Shomers competes at 165, moving JoJo to 174?

157 seemed like a tough cut for Shomers.

The cut really got to him this year but I just don't know if his style translates with a bump up in weight. His size and length really help him at 157. He may not have a choice as if he can't make the cut he will bump. Watching Joe and Witlake this summer will be interesting to see how they grow and where they are at weight wise.

Reactions: JAY45
I don’t see how joe can be a 165 next year hebhas no gas tank at all for a weight cut .

Reactions: okcpokefan12
I don’t see how joe can be a 165 next year hebhas no gas tank at all for a weight cut .

He could though. All the top 165’s are as big as Joe. He’s simply got to commit to it year round. It means keeping his weight around 180 in the off season and doing things to reshape his body. All while working to build his gas tank. Honestly he’s got to do it. It’s where he fits in the lineup.

So the season is over, I feel we could of done a little better. Been in the 90's. Rogers and Joe wrestle off, John always said that wrestling off doesn't decide who should be on the mat. Its how you do in competition that matters. Joe didn't deserve the wrestle off, Rogers had showed that he would of place higher at NC already. Still pissed about it. It was a bad call by coach (specially because it was his son). I will get over it but it will take a while.

So the season is over, I feel we could of done a little better. Been in the 90's. Rogers and Joe wrestle off, John always said that wrestling off doesn't decide who should be on the mat. Its how you do in competition that matters. Joe didn't deserve the wrestle off, Rogers had showed that he would of place higher at NC already. Still pissed about it. It was a bad call by coach (specially because it was his son). I will get over it but it will take a while.

Both guys have been frustratingly inconsistent in their careers here and Rogers maybe more so. There was no guarantee Rogers would have lit up the NCAA's. It could be argued that Joe had been the more consistent performer when in the lineup and then he went and won the wrestle off.

Both guys have been frustratingly inconsistent in their careers here and Rogers maybe more so. There was no guarantee Rogers would have lit up the NCAA's. It could be argued that Joe had been the more consistent performer when in the lineup and then he went and won the wrestle off.
When has Joe been in any form or area (off and on the mat) more consistent in the last two years? As for Rogers, no argument with you statement but he has been there and done it at Nationals. I haven't been in the room the last few years but I do hear things. Joe shouldn't even had that options to compete for the spot. It was very obvious that he wasn't going to handle the cut (look at last year and even the year before). Going from 157 last year to start of this season around 210. I will not post on this matter again because it's not good for my health or OSU Wrestling! Looking forward to the new young men coming in and proving themselves.

Reactions: vhsalum
He could though. All the top 165’s are as big as Joe. He’s simply got to commit to it year round. It means keeping his weight around 180 in the off season and doing things to reshape his body. All while working to build his gas tank. Honestly he’s got to do it. It’s where he fits in the lineup.
Joe has showed zero ability to be didicated enough to do that last off Season so I would assume he won’t this one either.

Joe has showed zero ability to be didicated enough to do that last off Season so I would assume he won’t this one either.
I’ve been fairly critical of the situation, but have really high hopes for Joe next year. Let’s not forget - he’s a kid, and sometimes a result like this can be a wake up call. Here’s hoping he stays at it all summer and comes in next year ready to challenge for a title.

I’ve been fairly critical of the situation, but have really high hopes for Joe next year. Let’s not forget - he’s a kid, and sometimes a result like this can be a wake up call. Here’s hoping he stays at it all summer and comes in next year ready to challenge for a title.
He is a kid but it wasn't his call, it was Coach Smith's. I understand John was in a tough situation but this looks very bad to me. As I said elsewhere, I am deeply sadden for Chandler and his family who seemed to have gone a long way (moving to Stillwater for High School) to be part of the OSU family only to be snubbed in the end. If he were my child I would be outraged.

Also said elsewhere; it was obvious to me that in watching Joe wrestle that he was the superior wrestler on the mat in all four of his matches including against the #1 seed.

Reactions: driad
He is a kid but it wasn't his call, it was Coach Smith's. I understand John was in a tough situation but this looks very bad to me. As I said elsewhere, I am deeply sadden for Chandler and his family who seemed to have gone a long way (moving to Stillwater for High School) to be part of the OSU family only to be snubbed in the end. If he were my child I would be outraged.

Also said elsewhere; it was obvious to me that in watching Joe wrestle that he was the superior wrestler on the mat in all four of his matches including against the #1 seed.
Just to clarify - I was talking about the weight getting out of hand over the summer being the learning experience. I felt awful for Chandler, and agree that I'd be furious if it were my kid (something to be said for living in a way that lets you focus on being a good wrestler, not just losing weight). But that's over now, and I'm hoping that next year, that's not an issue.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
something to be said for living in a way that lets you focus on being a good wrestler, not just losing weight
I've been saying this for years. Over the years (41 for me) I have seen too many of our wrestlers, seemingly, coming up short because of weight issues. I know that each individual wrestler has an optimal wrestling weight and often someone better is at that weight, thus cutting issues. It would just be nice to see more of our guys wrestling up a weight and being successful; a la Mike Sheets.

Reactions: vhsalum
I've been saying this for years. Over the years (41 for me) I have seen too many of our wrestlers, seemingly, coming up short because of weight issues. I know that each individual wrestler has an optimal wrestling weight and often someone better is at that weight, thus cutting issues. It would just be nice to see more of our guys wrestling up a weight and being successful; a la Mike Sheets.
Agreed. But I also think that someone like Joe can be successful at 165, if he gives himself time to adjust to the weight. Awfully difficult to cut, cut, cut and still feel good on the mat. Would love it if he made it by Reno and just stayed there all year.

Agreed. But I also think that someone like Joe can be successful at 165, if he gives himself time to adjust to the weight. Awfully difficult to cut, cut, cut and still feel good on the mat. Would love it if he made it by Reno and just stayed there all year.

Had Preston not gotten hurt that would of been the plan. Would of been a much better and cleaner situation.

Willie said Daton is almost definitely taking an Olympic redshirt next year. That could change, however, if he medals this year.

Willie said Daton is almost definitely taking an Olympic redshirt next year. That could change, however, if he medals this year.

I would think if he medals then it increases the chances of him taking one.

Fix taking next year off would be a pretty big positive team wise. We need his stay to overlap with the 2020 kids as possible.

Wonder if it helps with getting guys like AJ and Amos onboard? Fix being around for another year with them means our team chances go up drastically while they are on campus.

Reactions: osu2082
Fix taking next year off would be a pretty big positive team wise. We need his stay to overlap with the 2020 kids as possible.

Wonder if it helps with getting guys like AJ and Amos onboard? Fix being around for another year with them means our team chances go up drastically while they are on campus.

Drop me private message. I’m a plebeian and therefore can’t start one

No question and I think that is going to be the plan.

2020 - Whitcraft, Burks, Fix, Mastro, G, Balmeceda, Surber, Witlake, Plott, Montavalo, Ferrari or Amos, and Doucet is a bunch of high end talent.

No question and I think that is going to be the plan.

2020 - Whitcraft, Burks, Fix, Mastro, G, Balmeceda, Surber, Witlake, Plott, Montavalo, Ferrari or Amos, and Doucet is a bunch of high end talent.

Man I know we still need a couple of these guys to get in the fold but it is amazing how quickly our recruiting jumped levels. This doesn't even include Tate who I would think we have a good shot with.

Willie Saylor randomly tweeted he thinks we will win a title in the near future. Wonder if he is hearing something coming on the recruiting trail (complete speculation on my part).

Reactions: JAY45 and osu2082
There's an article on Pistols Firing about an interview Wittlake gave. In it he says that the cut to 74kg was tough for him and that he thinks it affected his performance. He says if he had a do over he'd go 79kg.

Man I know we still need a couple of these guys to get in the fold but it is amazing how quickly our recruiting jumped levels. This doesn't even include Tate who I would think we have a good shot with.

Willie Saylor randomly tweeted he thinks we will win a title in the near future. Wonder if he is hearing something coming on the recruiting trail (complete speculation on my part).
I was thinking the same thing when I saw that on twitter

There's an article on Pistols Firing about an interview Wittlake gave. In it he says that the cut to 74kg was tough for him and that he thinks it affected his performance. He says if he had a do over he'd go 79kg.

That article was a little misleading. In the video interview, Wittlake says he felt good at the Junior Open, but then not so good at the Junior Trials. So the weight cut doesn't explain his losses at the end of April. Also said he currently weighs 185 on full feed, which is not a lot for a 165 while out of season.

I think the bigger take away is that he doesn't like to cut weight. Said he didn't cut in HS and showed up in Stillwater at 175. That would actually make him a 157, but he's been trying to gain weight for 174.

Here it is...he also talks about his training partners in the room...

Witlake can and will go either weight. I’m sure he would rather go 174 but my guess is we see him at 165.

One troubling thing mentioned in that interview is that Travis says they will decide in September who goes 165 & who goes 174. Did we learn nothing from last year?

The coaches need to set a hard date with Joe. By the end of June, pick 165 or 174 and stick to it. No changing your mind in September (or November). It's not fair to Travis.

Joe Joe needs to redeem himself this season. Rodgers got the raw deal over joes bad weight management. Hurt us in the end

Joe Joe needs to redeem himself this season. Rodgers got the raw deal over joes bad weight management. Hurt us in the end

Not sure how bad it hurt us. Chandler probably needed to be a high all american to get us to second.

Reactions: osu2082
One troubling thing mentioned in that interview is that Travis says they will decide in September who goes 165 & who goes 174. Did we learn nothing from last year?

The coaches need to set a hard date with Joe. By the end of June, pick 165 or 174 and stick to it. No changing your mind in September (or November). It's not fair to Travis.

I think it’s fine to watch how each perform and where their weight is throughout the summer. A September weight decision will happen all over the country and isn’t a big deal. Now if it goes beyond that then that’s where you can have some issues IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT