ADVERTISEMENT

Lineups for next year

It's very unlikely that Ferrari is 240+ in December because he said last month that he plans to try for the Olympics @ 97 kg. The trials qualifier is in December. He's not cutting 30+ lbs then.

It's certainly possible to make Ferrari & Haas work. In fact, I would say we are the presumptive favorites to land both right now (fingers crossed).

Here are a couple of options depending on if Haas can make 197 (initially) or not. Remember, Haas said he plans to be a heavy in college, but he also said he was 214 on full feed right now. Plus he was warming up for Cadets in shorts and a t-shirt a few days beforehand, when everyone is usually making their final cut. That was for 92 kg too, not 97 kg.

Haas @ 197 (initially). Ferrari goes as a TF, Haas goes as a TF
2021 - Ferrari 285, Haas HS
2022 - Ferrari 285, Haas 197
2023 - Ferrari 285, Haas 197
2024 - Ferrari ORS, Haas 285
2025 - Ferrari 285, Haas RS
2026 - Haas 285

Haas @ 285. Ferrari goes as a TF and Haas takes a gray shirt as CowboyUp said.
2021 - Ferrari 285, Haas HS
2022 - Ferrari 285, Haas GS
2023 - Ferrari 285, Haas RS
2024 - Ferrari ORS, Haas 285
2025 - Ferrari 285, Haas backup
2026 - Haas 285
2027 - Haas 285

It looks like Kerkvliet might start this year. Ohio State initially planned to redshirt him and then go Kerkvliet/Singletary at 285/197 beginning next year.

This was discussed before, but Singletary makes a lot of sense for us as a transfer target. Could he come in 2nd semester and be eligible to take over at heavyweight? Then next year he could go 285 or 197 (with Geer dropping to 184). Lots of possibilities - in 2022 we could go Ferrari/Singletary/Plott at 285/197/184.

I doubt that Singletary could make 197 again, but when Ohio State signed Kerkvleit I thought Singletary would transfer. I think our coaches had a relationship with Chase before.

Singletary's top 5 schools were us, tOSU, PSU, UNC & Cornell.

Here's an interview from a few months ago. Says his walk around weight is normally about 220 & that he could make 197.

Glad I am wrong as I think he would be tough at 197. John says if the waste is 34 inch they are a tweener and that is what Chase probably is. Would love to have him in the room.

Glad I am wrong as I think he would be tough at 197. John says if the waste is 34 inch they are a tweener and that is what Chase probably is. Would love to have him in the room.

I would as well. Unfortunately, looks like it probably won't happen.

The tOSU insider says they plan to go with Kerkvliet/Moore @ 285/197 this year, with Singletary taking an Olympic redshirt (not sure he's earned an ORS, he might have to medal at U23s). Then next year they are going with Kerkvliet/Singletary @ 285/197.

That seemed to clarify quite a bit.

With Geer at 184, it will be interesting to see if Montalvo or Kauffman wins the spot at 197.

xpected
I would as well. Unfortunately, looks like it probably won't happen.

The tOSU insider says they plan to go with Kerkvliet/Moore @ 285/197 this year, with Singletary taking an Olympic redshirt (not sure he's earned an ORS, he might have to medal at U23s). Then next year they are going with Kerkvliet/Singletary @ 285/197.
I did not like when Coach Smith indicated last years redshirts are not expected to make the lineup. Maybe I misunderstood but John's answer seemed to indicate that Montalvo and Wittlake have not looked like starters. Although I don't know who would wrestle 65 then. He did say this class looks good which is surprising to me because no one on this years class had Wittlake credentials coming in. I hope that I misunderstood or Coach Smith was attempting to motivate them more. Sounds like a rough year coming up. But Coach Smith really says some good things about Lewallan and Piccinini

Last edited:
I just don’t think he answered the question on the RS’s and sort of went down a different trail. All indications point to Witlake going at 165 or 174 if he can bear Smith. Taco has been a guy you have heard nothing but very good things about from coaches, wrestlers and S&C coaches but with Geer at 184 that limits his potential this year.

A few of the other interesting topics...

- confirmation of Daton taking an Oly RS
- acknowledgement of missing out on Streck
- Mardsen our of school with the potential of a spring enrollment. Could be a 197 option
- Kaufman potential 197 transfer
- Sounds like Putnam at HWY
- Possibly still some question marks at 165/174 with Witlake and Smith
- Kaid could be back this year
- Boo should get a 6th year

Reactions: JAY45
Just compiling what was said (and bearing in mind statements around 7 positions being set), it sounds like:

125: Piccininni
133: Witcraft or Wilson until Brock Returns
141: Gfeller
149: Lewallen (said he would get a 6th year)
157: Shomers or Sheets
165: Wittlake
174: Smith
184: Geer
197: Kauffman or Montalvo (Coach Smith said it would be the backup at 184)
285: Putnam

Reactions: driad and oberebo
Going to be a weird year. Guys like G, Boo and Geer have real opportunities because those weights are wide open to the finals. We know what we have in Picc and I think we see the best version of Joe this year (yes I'm one of the last believers). But man we've also got some massive, massive holes.

Going to be a weird year. Guys like G, Boo and Geer have real opportunities because those weights are wide open to the finals. We know what we have in Picc and I think we see the best version of Joe this year (yes I'm one of the last believers). But man we've also got some massive, massive holes.
I agree, seems like it’s going to be a weird year. Sort of has the feel of Michigan pre-Fab 5.
Hopefully it will be a great year of development prior to the big talent boost in upcoming years.

Reactions: Air_Thurman

It why we will be a better tournament team than dual team this year.

Top 4 potential at 125, 141, 149, 184 and probably 174.

I think we will surprise at 165 and 157 and those guys will be R12/low level AA possibilities by the end of the season.

The biggest thing is, this year should be INTERESTING. Especially if you are able to keep your expectations in line. Watching people develop can be a lot of fun.

This year seems like a foundation building year. It should bring the best out in most of the athletes. They know these new guys are coming.

Just compiling what was said (and bearing in mind statements around 7 positions being set), it sounds like:

125: Piccininni
133: Witcraft or Wilson until Brock Returns
141: Gfeller
149: Lewallen (said he would get a 6th year)
157: Shomers or Sheets
165: Wittlake
174: Smith
184: Geer
197: Kauffman or Montalvo (Coach Smith said it would be the backup at 184)
285: Putnam
That is the lineup I see for this year. I can not say who will win the spot at 133 or 197. This is a year to relax, cheer for your favorites and anticipate great things in the future. Our future is bright but the present is not bad either!

The biggest thing is, this year should be INTERESTING. Especially if you are able to keep your expectations in line. Watching people develop can be a lot of fun.

This year seems like a foundation building year. It should bring the best out in most of the athletes. They know these new guys are coming.

Should also be really fun to see 4-5 weights who should be in the NC conversation. Hopefully a few of these guys will push to get to Saturday night in March.

xpected

I did not like when Coach Smith indicated last years redshirts are not expected to make the lineup. Maybe I misunderstood but John's answer seemed to indicate that Montalvo and Wittlake have not looked like starters. Although I don't know who would wrestle 65 then. He did say this class looks good which is surprising to me because no one on this years class had Wittlake credentials coming in. I hope that I misunderstood or Coach Smith was attempting to motivate them more. Sounds like a rough year coming up. But Coach Smith really says some good things about Lewallan and Piccinini

I think John was answering that redshirt freshmen question in the context of guys potentially filling the openings at 133, 197 & heavy. So I agree it was a little surprising that Montalvo wasn't mentioned as a possibility for 197. But Wittlake has to be considered the frontrunner for 165. The only guy that could possibly beat him out is Shomers if he bumps up. I also think John was commenting about the 2020 class, not the 2019 class, meaning we could use Ferrari, Doucet & Plott this year.

To me the most interesting comments were Geer's. He said 197 would likely be Kauffman (not Montalvo) and that 174 was uncertain (say it ain't so Joe!).

Final thought - it's crazy for Kaid to compete this season. If his heart is still into wrestling, then apply for a 6th year and fight for a spot next year.

I think John was answering that redshirt freshmen question in the context of guys potentially filling the openings at 133, 197 & heavy. So I agree it was a little surprising that Montalvo wasn't mentioned as a possibility for 197. But Wittlake has to be considered the frontrunner for 165. The only guy that could possibly beat him out is Shomers if he bumps up. I also think John was commenting about the 2020 class, not the 2019 class, meaning we could use Ferrari, Doucet & Plott this year.

To me the most interesting comments were Geer's. He said 197 would likely be Kauffman (not Montalvo) and that 174 was uncertain (say it ain't so Joe!).

Final thought - it's crazy for Kaid to compete this season. If his heart is still into wrestling, then apply for a 6th year and fight for a spot next year.

I agree.

125: Fix
133: Brock
141: G
149: Boo
157: Sheets/Balmeceda/Manibog
165: Balmeceda/Manibog
174: Wittlake
184: Montalvo or Kauffman
197: Geer
HWT: Putnam or Harris?

That would be a solid lineup.

I think Witlake and Joe are still battling it out at 174. Coach wants to see the consistency he saw this summer from Joe and that he can win this spot from a talented RSFR with the loser dropping down.

I agree.

125: Fix
133: Brock
141: G
149: Boo
157: Sheets/Balmeceda/Manibog
165: Balmeceda/Manibog
174: Wittlake
184: Montalvo or Kauffman
197: Geer
HWT: Putnam or Harris?

That would be a solid lineup.
I agree it would be a solid lineup but we know for certain, according to Coach Smith AND Geer that he will be at 184.

Additionally, Coach Smith said 197 “Will be the backup @ 184”.

I agree that the Redshirt comment wasn’t a clear answer to the question, and likely doesn’t pertain to Wittlake. It sounded to me more that none of the incoming freshmen, outside of Witcraft, would be in consideration.

It also seemed like, based on Geer’s reaction, there could have been some guidance on how to answer the “174 question”...

I think it’s fine to watch how each perform and where their weight is throughout the summer. A September weight decision will happen all over the country and isn’t a big deal. Now if it goes beyond that then that’s where you can have some issues IMO.

You posted the above on page 1 back in June. We are now beyond September, only a month out from the start of the season.

I posted this before - IMO the 165/174 decision should have been made months ago. If it hasn't, that tells me we learned nothing from last season's drama.

Hopefully Dakota has a sense of humor and was only joking.

You posted the above on page 1 back in June. We are now beyond September, only a month out from the start of the season.

I posted this before - IMO the 165/174 decision should have been made months ago. If it hasn't, that tells me we learned nothing from last season's drama.

If they are still jockeying for position it certainly could be problematic but we don’t know if it is really an issue other than a 21 year old talking off the cuff in an informal interview setting. We don’t know where each guy is at weight wise or health wise.

We also literally don’t know anything else concerning the decision (if there is still one to be made).

It’s just all fun speculation to discuss amongst fans in anticipation of the season. Hard to worry until we learn more or see everyone in action.

It's just all fun speculation to discuss amongst fans in anticipation of the season. Hard to worry until we learn more or see everyone in action.

Not worried. But also not afraid to disagree with the coaches (or administration) when necessary. If that means I don't win the superfan award, so be it.

Reactions: oberebo
Not worried. But also not afraid to disagree with the coaches (or administration) when necessary. If that means I don't win the superfan award, so be it.

Of course not. Disagreeing with tough decision is what message boards are all about and it’s part of being a fan.

It’s just at this point we don’t have much of anything to go on.

Most programs would have a general idea of who's wrestling where. The fact that Joe's weight is around the 165/174 range is fairly a good sign. Most years with him, we're talking about him coming from 200+lbs. Still don't think he's a top 4 guy IMO at either weight. He's has a lot to prove to get back to that status no matter who's Olympic redshirting/exhausted eligibility/injured etc...

Most programs would have a general idea of who's wrestling where. The fact that Joe's weight is around the 165/174 range is fairly a good sign. Most years with him, we're talking about him coming from 200+lbs.

The thing with that is we really don't know what he weighs. Joe still isn't certified on Trackwrestling. Last season he was the last guy on the team to certify, hopefully that's not the case this year.

Someone told me this past weekend Brock would wrestle this year. No idea how true that is.

Some more weight certifications were entered into Trackwrestling. Potential starters yet to certify are G & Joe (plus Daton, Kaid & Marsden). And Markus Simmons is not listed as was mentioned previously. Wyatt made 157 flat which is probably a good sign.

I think Witlake and Joe are still battling it out at 174. Coach wants to see the consistency he saw this summer from Joe and that he can win this spot from a talented RSFR with the loser dropping down.

Joe isn't going down to 165, we already lived thru that disaster.

There are no weights open to the finals, if you know of such in the past please post the data.

Someone told me this past weekend Brock would wrestle this year. No idea how true that is.

Coach sort of hinted it was a possibility in an interview. Doesn’t seem like the timeline would work to get fully recovered and enough matches but who knows.

He might be a guy that doesn’t want to do another year of the grind.

Interesting that Simmons still isn’t on the Official Roster @ OKState.com

Joe isn't going down to 165, we already lived thru that disaster.

There are no weights open to the finals, if you know of such in the past please post the data.

Wide open doesn’t mean easy. It is a figure of speech.

Interesting that Simmons still isn’t on the Official Roster @ OKState.com

I wonder if part of the reason he transferred is academic standing. Might be at noc for a semester? His eligibility would certainly solve a problem.

Reactions: JAY45
G & Joe both certified on 11/1, basically the start of the D1 season.

G made 149 (was between 141.1 & 149) and Joe made 184 (was between 174.1 and 184).

There are still a few reserves that haven't certified yet.

Some post scuffle thoughts/questions on the 2020-21 lineup and beyond.

Wittlake didn't win the Scuffle, but he had the breakout performance everyone was looking for. I knew he had the ankle pick and throw by, but when did he get so tough on top? Witcraft & Montalvo both flashed. Witcraft needs experience & strength, Montalvo needs to improve his technique. But the upside is there for both.

Daton likely goes 133 the next 3 years (and not 125). Does Witcraft RS next year and bulk up to 141? Does Wittlake go 174 after Joe graduates? (I actually like him down at 165). Montalvo's spot probably depends on where Geer & Wittlake go. He told Seth in a 2018 interview that he was likely a college 184, but would go 174 or 197 if the team needed it.

Lastly, dream lineup for 2021-22 and team title #35. Just need everyone to stop growing.

125: Burks / older Mastro (RFr)
133: Daton (RJr)
141: G (RSr) / Witcraft (RSo)
149: younger Mastro (true Fr)
157: Surber (RFr)
165: Wittlake (RJr)
174: Montalvo (RJr) / Plott (RFr)
184: Plott / Montalvo
197: Ferrari (RFr)
285: Haas (true Fr) / Doucet (RFr)

Some post scuffle thoughts/questions on the 2020-21 lineup and beyond.

Wittlake didn't win the Scuffle, but he had the breakout performance everyone was looking for. I knew he had the ankle pick and throw by, but when did he get so tough on top? Witcraft & Montalvo both flashed. Witcraft needs experience & strength, Montalvo needs to improve his technique. But the upside is there for both.

Daton likely goes 133 the next 3 years (and not 125). Does Witcraft RS next year and bulk up to 141? Does Wittlake go 174 after Joe graduates? (I actually like him down at 165). Montalvo's spot probably depends on where Geer & Wittlake go. He told Seth in a 2018 interview that he was likely a college 184, but would go 174 or 197 if the team needed it.

Lastly, dream lineup for 2021-22 and team title #35. Just need everyone to stop growing.

125: Burks / older Mastro (RFr)
133: Daton (RJr)
141: G (RSr) / Witcraft (RSo)
149: younger Mastro (true Fr)
157: Surber (RFr)
165: Wittlake (RJr)
174: Montalvo (RJr) / Plott (RFr)
184: Plott / Montalvo
197: Ferrari (RFr)
285: Haas (true Fr) / Doucet (RFr)
Next year I would guess that the lineup would be 25= Mastrogiavanni fr. , 33= Fix soph. , 41= Gfeller jun. , 49= Lewallen sen. , 57 Sheets jun. , 65= Wittlake soph. , 74 Stika ? soph. , 84=Montalvo soph., 97= Geer sen. , HWT Purdue transfer ?.
2021-22
125= Burks Fr.
133= Fix jun.
141= Witcraft soph.
149= Gfeller sen.
157= Sheets sen.
165= Wittlake jun
174= Plott Fr.
184= Montalvo jun.
197= Ferrari Fr.
HWT=Doucet Ff.
Next year our team should be a little better than this year. The next year as you indicate a team championship is possible. I think we should redshirt our true freshman and then redshirt older Mastro if he wrestles as a true freshman. Difficult task because who knows what will happen with our young wrestler with abilities but also weight. I also think that maybe Montalvo if he does not jump levels could get pushed out of the lineup. 2022-23 will likely be our best chance to win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT