ADVERTISEMENT

Lineups for next year

I think it’s fine to watch how each perform and where their weight is throughout the summer. A September weight decision will happen all over the country and isn’t a big deal. Now if it goes beyond that then that’s where you can have some issues IMO.

I'm not really concerned when other teams are making their weight class decisions, I'm only interested in us. And Joe registering for the US Open at 79 kg rather than 74 kg, and then not entering, is a red flag IMO. I don't want to see a repeat of last year's drama.

Based on the video above, it seems like Wittlake was caught between weight classes this year. Undersized for 174 through Reno in December. But then after bulking up in the second semester, he decided to cut back to 74 kg for freestyle, which affected him at the Junior WTT. So if Joe decides to go 174 in September, that would force Wittlake down and he just might be one of those guys that struggles a little when cutting.

Chandler wrestled 82 kg in Greco, so he obviously sacrificed a lot for the team by making 165. I say Joe should do the same - commit now to 165 and let Wittlake prepare for 174.

Reactions: lincolnhs
Not sure how bad it hurt us. Chandler probably needed to be a high all american to get us to second.
I think Joe hurt us more in the team chemistry department. We are on a run in recruiting and we don't need a senior problem child. He's burned out, unless something has changed, let him retire as a two time AA. The team doesn't need all that drama that comes with being the coaches son! Love the new recruits coming in.

good news is that this is joe smith's last season. Don't get me wrong he's a good wrestler, but the headache of him managing his weight, trying to figure out which what weight class he fits into will end. Here's to hoping he AA's his senior year. IMO no matter what weight class he's in, he's not a contender to winning a title.

good news is that this is joe smith's last season. Don't get me wrong he's a good wrestler, but the headache of him managing his weight, trying to figure out which what weight class he fits into will end. Here's to hoping he AA's his senior year. IMO no matter what weight class he's in, he's not a contender to winning a title.
Joe is so frustrating to me. I feel like he has or had potential to be a championship contender. But I feel he's squandering it.

Don't get me wrong, Joe has had some injuries that has slowed him down the last few years but that's not the only reason.

Guys can always have their redshirts pulled, but it appears a lot of teams plan to punt next season (at least to start with)...

Cornell has Yianni taking an ORS and it looks like Vito and Max Dean might also (with Ben Darmstadt dropping to 184)

Ohio State plans to redshirt Karchla & Kerkvliet, possibly Pletcher also (or he could go 141 and try to win a depleted weight class)

Penn State's lineup is up in the air, but there is talk of Hall taking an ORS and RBY taking a regular one

Also, Mehki Lewis and Jaydin Eierman are taking an ORS.

Guys can always have their redshirts pulled, but it appears a lot of teams plan to punt next season (at least to start with)...

Cornell has Yianni taking an ORS and it looks like Vito and Max Dean might also (with Ben Darmstadt dropping to 184)

Ohio State plans to redshirt Karchla & Kerkvliet, possibly Pletcher also (or he could go 141 and try to win a depleted weight class)

Penn State's lineup is up in the air, but there is talk of Hall taking an ORS and RBY taking a regular one

Micic,Kolodzik,Glory and Amine are all more then likely sitting this year also

Reactions: Wrassler17

I hate it simply because it gives Iowa a fantastic chance of winning a title.

Iowa is taking an "all-in" approach to winning a national title in 2020. This includes guys like Spencer Lee and Warner not taking ORS. I kinda expect them to win a national title based on what's on paper, but you never know.

If PSU doesn't redshirt Hall & RBY, I would make them the favorites with 5 potential finalists (Cassar, Rasheed, Hall, Joseph, Lee), plus 2-3 AAs (Conel, Berge, RBY). Otherwise Iowa might win the title by "redshirt default".

The 2020-2021 season will be interesting. Iowa will return everyone except Lugo and Wilcke, so they could be the early favorite.

Cornell will have 4 potential finalists in Yianni, Vito, Darmstadt & Dean, plus several talented underclassmen. How do they get Jacob Cardenas into that lineup?

Penn State will finally run out their 2018 recruits (Nevills, Beard, Brooks, Joe Lee), plus maybe true freshman Robbie Howard. Berge, Lee & RBY return (Hall maybe).

Ohio State will run out 2019 recruits Kerkvliet, Karchla & Decatur to go with the 2018 recruits that include Sasso & Hoffman and others.

For us, guys like Plott, Amos & Ferrari (hopefully) don't need redshirts, but I'm not sure it makes sense to wrestle them. Might be better to go all in for 2021-2022 and beyond.

First off, I obviously wish Kaid & Boo both full recoveries, with no setbacks later in life after they are done competing. So this isn't meant to be inconsiderate, it's just wrestling talk...

Above I mentioned that Cornell, PSU & tOSU will field strong teams in 2020-2021. How about this lineup though? (yes, I know the odds of it happening)...

125: Daton (wrestles tournaments and a handful of duals, Golowenski wrestles most duals)
133: Kaid (wants & gets 6th year)
141: G
149: Boo (gets 6th year)
157: Balmeceda / Sheets
165: Wittlake
174: Plott
184: Geer
197: Amos
285: Ferrari

First off, I obviously wish Kaid & Boo both full recoveries, with no setbacks later in life after they are done competing. So this isn't meant to be inconsiderate, it's just wrestling talk...

Above I mentioned that Cornell, PSU & tOSU will field strong teams in 2020-2021. How about this lineup though? (yes, I know the odds of it happening)...

125: Daton (wrestles tournaments and a handful of duals, Golowenski wrestles most duals)
133: Kaid (wants & gets 6th year)
141: G
149: Boo (gets 6th year)
157: Balmeceda / Sheets
165: Wittlake
174: Plott
184: Geer
197: Amos
285: Ferrari
If things went well for us it could be a National Championship lineup. We have had lots of bad luck especially with injuries so you think we would be due for some better luck.

If things went well for us it could be a National Championship lineup. We have had lots of bad luck especially with injuries so you think we would be due for some better luck.

The beauty of it would be Daton getting Lee in the finals with a possible team title on the line.

So you’d blow our stud freshmen’s redshirts? Why would Daton not wrestle a full schedule? The frosh would have to be high AAs for us to have a chance, and/or Witlake, Witcraft and Montalvo kick ass and we pull a decent heavy from somewhere.

I’m not sure Kaid comes back even if he could if he’s graduated and he’s on the same course as last year with his private life. He may just want to move on. Our shot was to find a way to load up this year with everybody on deck and healthy with a transfer heavy and our frosh being fringe AAs, or wait 2-3 more years for enough of our youth to develop. It sucks Iowa may get a cheapy next year.

Our shot was to find a way to load up this year with everybody on deck and healthy with a transfer heavy and our frosh being fringe AAs, or wait 2-3 more years for enough of our youth to develop. It sucks Iowa may get a cheapy next year.

we needed prime joe kaid and boo for that to happen four years ago we were looking at high AA’s maybe two finalists

injuries and burnout riddled that class of great okies

wrestling such a tough tough grind

Reactions: osu2082
So you’d blow our stud freshmen’s redshirts? Why would Daton not wrestle a full schedule? The frosh would have to be high AAs for us to have a chance, and/or Witlake, Witcraft and Montalvo kick ass and we pull a decent heavy from somewhere.

Just throwing it out for discussion.

It's perfect storm type stuff - we get both Ferrari & Amos (I'd be thrilled with one), plus Boo & Kaid remain healthy. IMO that lineup would be right there with PSU, tOSU & Cornell. And it would challenge Iowa for the team title.

I also think that Ferrari, Amos & Plott are potential finalists as true freshmen. Ferrari is the biggest unknown right now because we've never seen him at heavy and the weight class is loaded right now. That said, a Kyle Snyder type college career would not shock me.

The reason for holding Daton out would be to avoid him making 125 multiple x per week. He could wrestle Iowa, Bedlam and a handful of other big duals.

we needed prime joe kaid and boo for that to happen four years ago we were looking at high AA’s maybe two finalists

injuries and burnout riddled that class of great okies

wrestling such a tough tough grind

No question. Looking back after their FR years Joe and Kaid especially looked like sure fire 3-4x AA’s with finalist potential. Boo also had the look of a multi time AA.

Boo may have looked the best of all three. Shame he was the one that got hurt as he was the one putting in the extreme effort. Yes...to win this year we would need all firing off at top four/finalist capability if no Fix.

Pic top 4. Witcraft top 16. G top 4. Boo top 4. 157 top 16. Witlake/shommers top 12. Joe top 4. Montalvo top 16. 197 top 6. Hvwt top16. What would that get us? Then what if Fix wrestled instead of Witcraft?

Track wrestling has a roster posted, looks like anyone on the roster from last year just got moved over, including Fix there are some names from last year that aren’t posted (Ahrberg, Denney, Fontanez) don’t know if that means anything but they aren’t listed any everyone else is.

Looks like the Track roster was updated again. The 3 guys mentioned above still aren't listed, along with Jet Taylor.

39 now in total, including the new guys. 2 names I hadn't seen before - Colten Klein & Christian McCutcheon. No Reece Witcraft or Markus Simmons yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: OHkie
Preseason doesn't kick off for another month and Track is already showing weights for certification.

Wittlake made 184. A sign he's going 165?

Montalvo and Geer both weighed in over 197.

Preseason doesn't kick off for another month and Track is already showing weights for certification.

Witlake said he can go 165 if needed and I would imagine it will hinge on where Joe goes (165 or 174).

This team will go where Joe goes....ain't that rich lol....sad thing is this won't likely lead to a team trophy. I like joe smith, but the sooner his eligibility expires, the better the team will be for it!

another year of where joe goes ugh

I would suspect it will he decided well before it was planned for last year as Joe isn’t coming off an injury. Last year was a bit of an anomaly late in the season.

Any word on Simmons or Witcraft? I figured some combination of the two of them would cover 133 but still neither listed on track. On the online directory Witcraft is also listed as a student at NOC Stillwater, and Markus Simmons isn’t listed as a student at all.

The NOC listing for Witcraft is most likely for College Algebra. OSU requires all students take it for no college credit unless then can test out of it. For some reason, the class or some sections of the class are offered through OSU-NOC. NOC has a building on the OSU campus. The class still counts toward OSU full time student status.

Wrassler, if I am wrong on this correct me. The weights on track are not actual weights, just the weight they were eligible for at that weigh in moment. So Wittlake could have weighed 174.2 and it would show 184, because he was more than 174.

just asking to be sure.

Wrassler, if I am wrong on this correct me. The weights on track are not actual weights, just the weight they were eligible for at that weigh in moment. So Wittlake could have weighed 174.2 and it would show 184, because he was more than 174.

just asking to be sure.

Yes, that's my understanding also. He was somewhere between 174.1 and 184.

Balmeceda made 157. He would be very interesting to see at 149.

Harper made 165, so you figure he plans to challenge Sheets for 157.

I think Denney is at OU now.

Reactions: JAY45 and osu2082
Balmeceda made 157. He would be very interesting to see at 149.

Harper made 165, so you figure he plans to challenge Sheets for 157.

I think Denney is at OU now.
Balmeceda is listed at 141 on the OSU’s site!

Reactions: Wrassler17
The okstate.com roster is updated. Couple things might need some updating - a few weights look off (Balmeceda @ 141?) & little Marsden is missing. But Witcraft is there. And Wittlake is listed @ 165 (was @ 174 last year).

Just throwing it out for discussion.

It's perfect storm type stuff - we get both Ferrari & Amos (I'd be thrilled with one), plus Boo & Kaid remain healthy. IMO that lineup would be right there with PSU, tOSU & Cornell. And it would challenge Iowa for the team title.

I also think that Ferrari, Amos & Plott are potential finalists as true freshmen. Ferrari is the biggest unknown right now because we've never seen him at heavy and the weight class is loaded right now. That said, a Kyle Snyder type college career would not shock me.

The reason for holding Daton out would be to avoid him making 125 multiple x per week. He could wrestle Iowa, Bedlam and a handful of other big duals.
Braxton Amos committed to Wisconsin.We need Ferrari more than ever and Haas the following year.

Braxton Amos committed to Wisconsin.We need Ferrari more than ever and Haas the following year.

You don't "need" both. I would imagine you definitely won't get them both. No way does Haas sign up to do bench work for possibly 3 years.

You don't "need" both. I would imagine you definitely won't get them both. No way does Haas sign up to do bench work for possibly 3 years.

Unless one of them knows they can and wants to go 197 I would agree. Although Hass could RS his FR year and they would only overlap for 2 years from an eligibility standpoint but that’s still a big ask for a very highly touted prospect.

Last edited:
Unless one of the knows they can and wants to go 197 I would agree. Although Hass could RS his FR year and they would only overlap for 2 years from an eligibility standpoint but that’s still a big ask for a very highly touted prospect.

No way either is going to be a 197.

Ferrari will be north of 240 by December.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT