ADVERTISEMENT

Lehigh Dual

Making weight twice in 24 hours right out of the gate is a major challenge.
I'm not sure this actually a make weight twice thing especially when meets aren't even 24 hr apart. Believe similar last year with Princeton then Rutgers. But sometimes on these with one team back to back and the other two only one dual they might agree to all one time weigh in Fri night or pound or two allowance 2nd day. You'd have to check with someone to know for sure for this specific weekend.

According to our team page, we lost 21-20 criteria. The way it was explained on the mat.com is that our pin and forfeit are equal at criteria 4, so the next criteria is total points scored, in which they scored several more than us.

No. 4 Oklahoma State 20, No. 10 Lehigh 21

Nov. 16, 2019 | Stabler Arena | Bethlehem, Pa.

141: Ryan Pomrinca (LEH) dec. Dusty Hone(OSU), 3-2

149: No. 5 Boo Lewallen (OSU) dec. Jimmy Hoffman (LEH), 4-0

157: No. 13 Josh Humphreys (LEH) MD Wyatt Sheets (OSU), 16-2

165: No. 20 Travis Wittlake (OSU) dec. Brian Meyer (LEH), 3-1

174: No. 2 Jordan Kutler (LEH) MD Andrew Shomers (OSU), 20-6

184: Anthony Montalvo (OSU) Fall Jake Jakobsen (LEH) 6:26

197: No. 5 (184) Dakota Geer (OSU) MD Jake Jakobsen (LEH), 15-5

HWT: No. 3 Jordan Wood (LEH) dec. Austin Harris (OSU), 9-4

125: No. 4 Nick Piccininni (OSU) MD No. 17 Brandon Paetzell (LEH), 11-3

133: Nick Farro (LEH) def. Reece Witcraft(OSU), For.

Seems like a rough first weekend for Witcraft...

Making weight twice in 24 hours right out of the gate is a major challenge. We didn’t have G and Smith and obviously will be without Brock.

Still we went into a top 10 opponents house and saw Geer and Picc major ranked wrestlers and watched two FR gets wins on the road. Had it not been for a failed skin check we would have walked away with a nice early season dual win.

It wasn’t a great performance but this early taking into consideration all of the above your post seems extremely over reactionary.
Couldn’t agree more with this post. The pin at 184 today was impressive for a freshman. Geer looks fantastic, Whitlake coming around after a big win yesterday. Boo is healthy. We get 174 and 141 back and we are still a competitive dual team. Kind of impressed with Harris not giving major in heavy today.

Couldn’t agree more with this post. The pin at 184 today was impressive for a freshman. Geer looks fantastic, Whitlake coming around after a big win yesterday. Boo is healthy. We get 174 and 141 back and we are still a competitive dual team. Kind of impressed with Harris not giving major in heavy today.
Yes sir, Harris accounted for himself quite well today. It was a mixed bag in some ways. Picc is the heart and soul of this team. True leader. Wish we had more seniors like him. Our freshman fought hard. I think a few guys are out of shape, but it's 5 months until the tournament, so that's not shocking. What was shocking was two of our top 5 wrestlers not being ready to go. I'm not sure how big a thing it is to Coach Smith to break the tie with Bobby Douglass for 4th all time wins, but this would have achieved that. John is a lot tougher than me, but as a retired coach, I can tell you I would have been stunned and disappointed to have two of my experienced guys, "not really into it" on a week-end when I would have earned National recognition for a life time of work. Gentlemen, please get your itshay together. Your coach deserves better.

Reactions: JAY45
According to our team page, we lost 21-20 criteria. The way it was explained on the mat.com is that our pin and forfeit are equal at criteria 4, so the next criteria is total points scored, in which they scored several more than us.

Pretty straightforward.

Criteria A: number of wins (5-5)
Criteria B: number of "6-point" wins [falls, forfeits, defaults, DQ] (1-1)
Criteria C: Match points from Dec/MD/TF (57-47)

Reactions: Pacemaker5
Does anyone have any insight on Witcraft’s situation Saturday?

Harley's post was made at the halfway point, with the team losing 11-6. Right in the heat of battle. He even posted later that the 2nd half was going much better.

And why did the 2nd half go much better? Because John likely echoed some of Harley's points when he addressed the team at halftime. The result - guys wrestled inspired. Harris fought against a ranked guy who outweighed him by 40+ pounds. And Montalvo, Geer & Picc each chased bonus points in a tight dual. If Boo, Sheets & Wittlake matched that intensity we win the dual.

Also, G & Joe don't have the flu. Missing class/grades/weight are self inflicted injuries that hurt the team. Credit to Hone & Shomers for stepping up and wrestling hard.

No, the sky is not falling. And yes, there are positives that can be taken from the loss. Time to learn from it and move forward.

A lot of people thought Lehigh was a tossup with our full roster. We basically tied them down three starters. I don’t think we are a good enough dual team this year that we can expect to beat a lot of top 10 teams down 3 starters.

I think the biggest thing was Boo, Wittlake and Monta all had good weekends. Picc and Greer were as good as you would think.

Some pretty questionable decisions made by the Lehigh team there....get a win manipulating the rules to your advantage????

I thought John seemed very upset with something at the end when he kind of hurriedly walked over to the other team to shake hands. I assumed he was disappointed with some of the effort but now I feel he knew what Lehigh was doing and didn't appreciate it.

I'm not sure this actually a make weight twice thing especially when meets aren't even 24 hr apart. Believe similar last year with Princeton then Rutgers. But sometimes on these with one team back to back and the other two only one dual they might agree to all one time weigh in Fri night or pound or two allowance 2nd day. You'd have to check with someone to know for sure for this specific weekend.
The rule is that when one team wrestles back-to-back dual meets, both teams get a one-pound weight allowance. Since you guys wrestled Friday night, both teams get a pound on Saturday.

Seemed a little shady to me. We looked good at 25, 84, 97. Really proud of Harris if there was another period he would have won because Wood was gassed. Ready to watch Minnesota next week.

It’s about time to cut Joe loose. He has been a net negative to the team due to his attitude and actions. He’d rather party and eat than train hard and go to class and he’s been a bad influence on others on the team. Let him learn a good life lesson. G could use a lesson himself. He tries way too hard to look cool. He already has a high stance but then he’ll do his stand up straight deal to cool breeze it and gets taken down fairly often when he relaxes and does that. Now he’s screwing up his weight or school. If you would have asked me what two would be having issues they would have easily been my guess.

At this point, what you see in Joe Smith is what you get. He's not the same athlete from a physical and emotional standpoint. The kid doesn't have the love for wrestling, much less the grind like an Alex Dieringer, Daton Fix, JO, his father, etc. I think he had it earlier in his career, but over the last couple years that burning desire to be "great" has died. IMO, he's had talent, maybe not an elite level, but he's got skills to compete at a fairly high level. Let's just hope he get's it together his senior season, and puts himself in a position to a least AA.

FRL said Joe weighed in at 185 which means it will be about 5-6 weeks on a declension plan before he could wrestle 174.

He has known for months that we need him at 174. Very disappointing but then again I do not know all of the circumstances.

He has known for months that we need him at 174. Very disappointing but then again I do not know all of the circumstances.
Groundhog Day all over again. :(
groundhog-day-driving.jpg

This is a rebuilding year, don't need him! Lets move on and forget about Joe. We have wrestlers in those weights that put effort year round and I would rather see them in the line up then Joe. Hope John don't pull what he did last year for joe when Chandler should have been at Nationals!

When Montalvo certified he weighed over 197, same with Geer, so depending on the actual weight and descent plan and if his body fat allowed him to be eligible maybe, it doesn’t give the average fan the lowest possible weight allowed. But an official weigh in higher negates whatever the previous low was.

Reactions: Wrassler17
When Montalvo certified he weighed over 197, same with Geer, so depending on the actual weight and descent plan and if his body fat allowed him to be eligible maybe, it doesn’t give the average fan the lowest possible weight allowed. But an official weigh in higher negates whatever the previous low was.

Yep, saw that on Track also. That was back in the first week of September. I'm thinking both came in heavy because the team wasn't sure who would go 184/197. Montalvo was a 182 in HS, I'm thinking he might have certified at 174. Could solve some lineup issues.

Joe’s issues affect the team negatively in my opinion. Get him out of Stillwater to graduate. He is in for a rude awakening the second he can’t get something off his dad’s name and has to work and earn his own way.

This is a rebuilding year, don't need him! Lets move on and forget about Joe. We have wrestlers in those weights that put effort year round and I would rather see them in the line up then Joe. Hope John don't pull what he did last year for joe when Chandler should have been at Nationals!
Mike, Almost everyone I know that follows Cowboy wrestling wanted Chandler to wrestle at Nationals and that includes me. However, I do not assign any nefarious purpose to John's decision. Chandler was a favorite of the fans due to his style and also due to his sterling character and if you ever talked to him his character and beliefs shone through. John allowed the decision as to who would wrestle up to the ranking matches and objectively this was the traditional and approved way to choose. I guess you could make the argument that Chandler would obviously get the better seed and due to his style might make a better showing but John was in the position where assumptions, IMO, had to be thrown out to eliminate any bias on John's part. I did not like it but the decision was left into the hands of the wrestlers. I disagree that John "pulled" anything or showed Bias. I do agree with you that it would be better for the team this year to have a decision made about 174 early and not based on Joe's schedule.

I hope Joe is able to make weight at 74 vs Minnesota. He has a lot of talent but has had problems with weight control. He definitely could contend for the NCAA title if he stays healthy. Almost beat Hall last year.

I hope Joe is able to make weight at 74 vs Minnesota. He has a lot of talent but has had problems with weight control. He definitely could contend for the NCAA title if he stays healthy. Almost beat Hall last year.
Report is he weigh in at 185 Lehigh hence can't make 174 Minny.

Why would you take a guy on a trip that weighs in 11 pounds over? I want Joe to succeed as much as any Cowboy wrestling fan, but I don’t recall this issue in my 30 years of following OSU wrestling. Even when he is able to get to 174 is there going to be anything in the tank? Or same as last year? I know how good of a wrestler he is, I’ve seen it, but it doesn’t matter if he isn’t out there.

Why would you take a guy on a trip that weighs in 11 pounds over? I want Joe to succeed as much as any Cowboy wrestling fan, but I don’t recall this issue in my 30 years of following OSU wrestling. Even when he is able to get to 174 is there going to be anything in the tank? Or same as last year? I know how good of a wrestler he is, I’ve seen it, but it doesn’t matter if he isn’t out there.
To keep a eye on Joe so he can't run with his beer drinking buddies! lol, funny as this may seem, it could be the truth.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT