ADVERTISEMENT

Just suspended my DirecTV account

What are thoughts on Hulu LiveTV?

I refuse to pay a subscription to Google for anything so I’m wondering if this is the next best option?

I think their UI is trash, and in tulsa they do not carry the local ABC.

I suggest you do trials for them all and see what works for you. My personal lineup after doing my trials YTTV > Philo> PS Vue> Hulu Live> DTV now> Sling.

Reactions: Ostatedchi
I think their UI is trash, and in tulsa they do not carry the local ABC.

I suggest you do trials for them all and see what works for you. My personal lineup after doing my trials YTTV > Philo> PS Vue> Hulu Live> DTV now> Sling.

What is Philo?

What is Philo?

It's a light TV service that is mainly entertainment channels, no locals, no sports, no big news networks. We use it with YTTV because of nick jr (and food tv/hgtv before YTTV got them). We're also grandfathered into the $16 a month pricing, but if YTTV ever gets Nick, or if Nick gets a stand alone service we'll drop Philo.

This just reminds me of Battlestar Galactica - "All of this has happened before and will happen again."

Much like with phone carriers and cable companies in the 90s (Cox, basically), the little fragmentations will merge of die off, leaving a big two/three to raise the costs. DTV is essentially starting that now. Maybe it'll always be Hulu, Netflix, DTV and Sling, but the first two are sorta similar and the last two are kinda similar. Maybe one from each pot merges and rates go up. I'm thinking long-term here and Amazon is still out there offering everything for "free" because we're all really paying for the free shipping. Alas... I dunno.

I just left DTV for Sling because DTV's interface is wonky, it's DVR is terrible (20 hours only!) and Sling has everything I want and Pac-12 Net for about $20 cheaper a month. And I just ordered an AirTV box that will integrate the over-the-air channels into the SlingTV on-screen guide and won't have to switch away to antenna mode, so that is cool. Got Netflix and Amazon and share Hulu. Cost aside, I loved Dish Network but ultimately I agree with the mindset of getting rid of the uncessary cost and paring down the useless channels.

Considering Twitter is all of 13 years old and has taken over the world, it'll be interesting to see where the TV world is at in a decade.

This just reminds me of Battlestar Galactica - "All of this has happened before and will happen again."

Much like with phone carriers and cable companies in the 90s (Cox, basically), the little fragmentations will merge of die off, leaving a big two/three to raise the costs. DTV is essentially starting that now. Maybe it'll always be Hulu, Netflix, DTV and Sling, but the first two are sorta similar and the last two are kinda similar. Maybe one from each pot merges and rates go up. I'm thinking long-term here and Amazon is still out there offering everything for "free" because we're all really paying for the free shipping. Alas... I dunno.

I just left DTV for Sling because DTV's interface is wonky, it's DVR is terrible (20 hours only!) and Sling has everything I want and Pac-12 Net for about $20 cheaper a month. And I just ordered an AirTV box that will integrate the over-the-air channels into the SlingTV on-screen guide and won't have to switch away to antenna mode, so that is cool. Got Netflix and Amazon and share Hulu. Cost aside, I loved Dish Network but ultimately I agree with the mindset of getting rid of the uncessary cost and paring down the useless channels.

Considering Twitter is all of 13 years old and has taken over the world, it'll be interesting to see where the TV world is at in a decade.

Good thoughts O’Collyguy!

Good thoughts O’Collyguy!

Thanks! I know I don't need to lecture everyone on this as it's part of the basic supply/demand economy, but the cable/sat companies have grown large and bloated via their largess and, because of a lack of options, rates have been able to skyrocket until Internet speed and capacity became so fast and large that those entities could see competition re-emerge in the market. The reason Sling, DTVN, etc., are so affordable is because they have to be. Hate the cable/sats for sure, but the absolute best thing about them is their relative stability and ease-of-use. After all, some dude comes into your house, sets it all up for you and hands you the remote. And it's basically just like running the TV as normal! "So easy! And all my favorites are there! And this other crap, too. *Shrugs* But all my faves are here and easy to find!" And the cable/sats were able to ride that wave until it crashed into the rocks, where awkward, internet-based, streaming services emerged, telling us they didn't have all the stuff we adore, but they had some. And hey, it was only $9 a month! But these other entity has that other stuff! And they're only $14 a month! And this is still a helluva lot cheaper! And there's no contract! And...

One day, cable/sats will be on a real defensive and will have to actually compete. Given the dawn of 5G, that day is within the next few years. At which point, cable/sats will try to stem the bleeding by *finally* getting rid of the "Grandma's Professional Bridge Tournament Network" channels and going to some sort of ala carte plan that makes sense (like Sling's blue/orange/combo options, wildly enough). And, somewhere around that same time, the streaming services will hike stuff across the board and all of a sudden the five services you chose to cut the cord are now getting uncomfortable on the pocketbook. Will those ever get *as* high? Probably not. But where's the point of diminishing returns?

Maybe I'm taking my theory too far. However, I'm not a giant fan of having to go multiple spots for things I used to just get on Dish. Yes, finances absolutely tend to dictate final decisions in a lot of areas (believe me, I have re-learned that the hard way the past nine months), but the Millenials or the Zers or the Teeners or whomever will wake up one day, hear about this "new" service that has everything in one easy-to-find spot and hey, it's a little more pricey, but not too bad and it's so much easier to keep up with!

It has happened before and will happen again.

Thanks! I know I don't need to lecture everyone on this as it's part of the basic supply/demand economy, but the cable/sat companies have grown large and bloated via their largess and, because of a lack of options, rates have been able to skyrocket until Internet speed and capacity became so fast and large that those entities could see competition re-emerge in the market. The reason Sling, DTVN, etc., are so affordable is because they have to be. Hate the cable/sats for sure, but the absolute best thing about them is their relative stability and ease-of-use. After all, some dude comes into your house, sets it all up for you and hands you the remote. And it's basically just like running the TV as normal! "So easy! And all my favorites are there! And this other crap, too. *Shrugs* But all my faves are here and easy to find!" And the cable/sats were able to ride that wave until it crashed into the rocks, where awkward, internet-based, streaming services emerged, telling us they didn't have all the stuff we adore, but they had some. And hey, it was only $9 a month! But these other entity has that other stuff! And they're only $14 a month! And this is still a helluva lot cheaper! And there's no contract! And...

One day, cable/sats will be on a real defensive and will have to actually compete. Given the dawn of 5G, that day is within the next few years. At which point, cable/sats will try to stem the bleeding by *finally* getting rid of the "Grandma's Professional Bridge Tournament Network" channels and going to some sort of ala carte plan that makes sense (like Sling's blue/orange/combo options, wildly enough). And, somewhere around that same time, the streaming services will hike stuff across the board and all of a sudden the five services you chose to cut the cord are now getting uncomfortable on the pocketbook. Will those ever get *as* high? Probably not. But where's the point of diminishing returns?

Maybe I'm taking my theory too far. However, I'm not a giant fan of having to go multiple spots for things I used to just get on Dish. Yes, finances absolutely tend to dictate final decisions in a lot of areas (believe me, I have re-learned that the hard way the past nine months), but the Millenials or the Zers or the Teeners or whomever will wake up one day, hear about this "new" service that has everything in one easy-to-find spot and hey, it's a little more pricey, but not too bad and it's so much easier to keep up with!

It has happened before and will happen again.
The streaming services are already moving toward bundling.

The best example is November, when Disney Plus will bundle with ESPN Plus and Hulu for $14.

The streaming services are already moving toward bundling.

The best example is November, when Disney Plus will bundle with ESPN Plus and Hulu for $14.
I have a feeling with bundling is we will just have a different version of the DIRECTV, Dish, and cable pricing that is similar to what I tried to get away from by cutting the cord on Cox.

Reactions: Justin Wilmeth
I have a feeling with bundling is we will just have a different version of the DIRECTV, Dish, and cable pricing that is similar to what I tried to get away from by cutting the cord on Cox.

You put it much more succinctly than I did but that's what I was getting at as well. Once the big powers see the streamers as big-boy equals, they'll either buy them or align with them and shrink the market options, causing prices to go up over the macro.

"Now you can get Hulu, Netflix and ESPN+ on Disney Plus for the great price of $109 a month!"

This will basically end up like the cell phone world, where we're totally locked into having some sort of option, only having a few big options and overpaying for the privilege. In this dystopic future, this would be where a Dish got smart, shedded all the "America Home Channel" crap and offered your locals, the Turner channels, ESPN, Fox and the pro sports nets for $60 a month or something and market hard the "convenience/reliability/familiarity" angle.

I'm used to streaming now and it's fine, but I really dislike having to hop around platforms.

Reactions: TPOKE
I have AT&T. $50/month and that is bundled with Uverse basic, so i still have one reciever (non-HD/non-DVR) that picks up the basic channels.

I just got off the phone with AT&T/DirecTV, cancelling my account effective mid September. YAY.

Going to set up Fire Sticks for the older TVs and run YouTube TV, Amazon Prime, and (when available) Disney+.....we also currently have Netflix, although I don't particularly care to keep it the wife probably does ;-)

Reactions: AC_Exotic and TPOKE
I just got off the phone with AT&T/DirecTV, cancelling my account effective mid September. YAY.

Going to set up Fire Sticks for the older TVs and run YouTube TV, Amazon Prime, and (when available) Disney+.....we also currently have Netflix, although I don't particularly care to keep it the wife probably does ;-)
When I set up Youtube TV it was not available on the Firestick. I had to replace them with Roku sticks.

Yeah just recently came back.

Youtube is back... Youtube TV is not on there YET. There are guides that will walk you through sideloading the YTTV android app on fire TV and people have had good experience with it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT