ADVERTISEMENT

Just suspended my DirecTV account

I cut DTV last fall. Only have AT&T Gigabit internet (about $70 per month I think) and Amazon Prime (but don't really watch anything on it). We watch pretty much zero TV, but the kids usually figure out some way to watch stuff over the internet - i.e., they were watching the NBA game last night and I have no idea how.

I may do Youtube TV for football in the fall, or something else, but not missing TV at all.

that's the great thing about these services, there is no contract!

Reactions: MegaPoke
For those that have cut the chord, are you using your iPads or phones as remotes? How does that work when you have multiple TVs?

I think Apple TV has a remote w a box but most do not so trying to figure out how this works w younger kids without personal phones.

We use Roku sticks/boxes that have remotes, but also an app that has a software remote. You can also get something like a Logitech remote that can be programmed.

Reactions: The Duke
We use Roku sticks/boxes that have remotes, but also an app that has a software remote. You can also get something like a Logitech remote that can be programmed.

One remote+box per stick/TV?

But obviously a single app interface for all TVs?

For those that have cut the chord, are you using your iPads or phones as remotes? How does that work when you have multiple TVs?

I think Apple TV has a remote w a box but most do not so trying to figure out how this works w younger kids without personal phones.

I have two TV's, both connected to a ROKU device. I have the ROKU app on my phone but 99% of the time I just use the provided remote. One of my TV's is a 12 year old plasma that I call my "Dumb TV". I keep hoping it will crash and burn so I can justify getting a new "Smart TV" but it just keeps on ticking. Dangit.

I have two TV's, both connected to a ROKU device. I have the ROKU app on my phone but 99% of the time I just use the provided remote. One of my TV's is a 12 year old plasma that I call my "Dumb TV". I keep hoping it will crash and burn so I can justify getting a new "Smart TV" but it just keeps on ticking. Dangit.
Your Roku pretty much makes it a smart device. If it gives a good picture then run it to the ground. I think you'll see a trend to separate the brains from the screen/audio.

I would have already cancelled direct tv but I've got that tv insurance and so far it has replaced 3 tv's...roughly $1,500. And they repaired one as well. $20 a month. I've got at least a couple more tv's that will require replacement so I'm sticking with it for a while. Also laptops and desktops.

Trying out YouTube tv. Anyone in okc know why channel 4 is not available? Get 5, 9 and 25. Get nbc, but not the local. What gives?

So I’m a week into canceling DTV and loving it. I have Netflix Hulu Amazon Prime - and regular YouTube.

I realized the only tv I watched before was always recorded anyway except for news and OSU sports.

What’s the consensus recommendation for that? YouTube tv? Dumb question but is that a separate app for my tv or is there a device?

Reactions: AC_Exotic
So I’m a week into canceling DTV and loving it. I have Netflix Hulu Amazon Prime - and regular YouTube.

I realized the only tv I watched before was always recorded anyway except for news and OSU sports.

What’s the consensus recommendation for that? YouTube tv? Dumb question but is that a separate app for my tv or is there a device?
You can download the Youtube TV app on some Roku devices, smart TVs and google chromecast.

I downloaded the app on my phone and iPad. I can watch on those devices or send it to the tv through Apple TV.

So I read through all this, damn....I used to be such a geek about anything like this, but I have gotten so busy with work and bs....I’m just a complete idiot now.

My stepson wants the best way to watch all the NFL games, some college football, and then get the local channels. So....would he best be advised to just get his internet from AT&T, then do the YouTube TV deal? Would that get the NFL games? Or do you need cable for that? I can see how you can somehow get some college games online here and there, but I’m not sure about NFL. He’s all into that NFL stuff, I just don’t care enough about it anymore, but I wanted to help him make the right deal on his low budget at 21, newly married with a baby.

NFL Sunday Ticket is still only through DirecTV that I know of. Youtube TV will give you all your local channels and most sports channels that would give you any of the regular broadcasted games.

Nevermind, I just found this. https://www.dailydot.com/upstream/cord-cutting-guide-2019-sports/

Look half way down for NFL Sunday Ticket.

Very good article. Looks like you could go the first route with SlingTV, ESPN+, and CBS allaccess and get most of what he’s wanting. Maybe that 4 months of NFLSundayTicket for some of the other crap he wants.

I realize now why I don’t have any of this, I live in the boonies now with “line of sight” internet. So I’m quite limited on what I can do.

Reactions: Ostatedchi
I’m almost 2 months in to my 3 month DirecTV account suspension. I can’t see myself re-enabling it. I’m not missing anything and in fact watching YouTube TV while I’m traveling is pretty damn cool.

I am glad I switched from directv to YouTube tv but has anybody else noticed a slightly darker picture on their TV?

I just dropped DirecTV Now for YouTube TV.

DirecTV was in a contract dispute with NBC and CBS and it pissed me off that I missed the Open.

I really like the unlimited DVR capability of YouTube.

use that to your advantage and record everything that you might possibly want to watch (movies and shows) and you'll have a nice rainy day library of movies and shows that may not be on other streaming services.

Reactions: TPOKE and AC_Exotic
I don’t know a lot about this stuff, but wouldn’t your data issue be with your internet provider not YouTubetv?

Yes, I get unlimited data with AT&T because I have DirectvNow also. Each is only costing me $50 per month and I don't think I'm going to find unlimited data internet for $50 a month anywhere else. I was hitting the 1TB cap regularly with 2 xboxes and streaming TV.

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
I would switch to YouTube tv also, but I need the unlimited data.

What's your data cap? Ours is 1 TB and I have a stay at home wife so Youtube TV\netflix\philo is on from the time the kids are up until midnight or so. We also have 5 nest cams that are streaming video to the cloud, and we have only gone over our data cap 2 times.

Yes, I get unlimited data with AT&T because I have DirectvNow also. Each is only costing me $50 per month and I don't think I'm going to find unlimited data internet for $50 a month anywhere else. I was hitting the 1TB cap regularly with 2 xboxes and streaming TV.
Gotcha.

What's your data cap? Ours is 1 TB and I have a stay at home wife so Youtube TV\netflix\philo is on from the time the kids are up until midnight or so. We also have 5 nest cams that are streaming video to the cloud, and we have only gone over our data cap 2 times.

Ours is 1TB also but hit it consecutively the 2 initial months I was on it. The xboxes are the main issue as several of the games the kids play are upto 100GB to download for each Xbox. We've even had dlc updates that were 50 GB each plus Netflix/DirectvNow plus the kids have a pc each that they play games on.

I'm not really worried about CBS and NBC anyways as we don't watch much network TV anyways. If there was cheaper internet than $50 per month I'd definitely think about switching.

Ours is 1TB also but hit it consecutively the 2 initial months I was on it. The xboxes are the main issue as several of the games the kids play are upto 100GB to download for each Xbox. We've even had dlc updates that were 50 GB each plus Netflix/DirectvNow plus the kids have a pc each that they play games on.

I'm not really worried about CBS and NBC anyways as we don't watch much network TV anyways. If there was cheaper internet than $50 per month I'd definitely think about switching.

Yea game downloads will hit you hard. But DTV now has some of the worst compression of all the services according to someone on reddit that tested all the streaming services while recording their data use.

I still haven't cut the cable. I get my 1GB internet service, all the Cable channels and my home security for less than $200 a month. I have to have Comcast for internet because AT&T is too slow where I am and their customer service sucks, so it just makes sense to have it all in one place.

Yea game downloads will hit you hard. But DTV now has some of the worst compression of all the services according to someone on reddit that tested all the streaming services while recording their data use.

They do, but if you have DirecTV and AT&T internet, the DirecTV Go stream is free, doesn't impact your data limits at all. If you have another provider, then it sucks. Most likely they do that intentionally to keep you on their internet service.

Reactions: OSUIvan
That or PSvue, but I prefer YTTV's UI much more. I had YTTV for over a year now, and I didn't miss any OSU games last year. Give both a try and see for your self.

Cool. Thanks. I have been surprisingly content just watching YouTube and nextflix for the last 2 months with no live tv at all. But football and basketball seasons will change that pretty fast.

well it seems Sony doesn't like where Vue is headed, I don't see it being canned yet, but I bet updates will lessen and contract renegotiation's with networks will be interesting.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/sony-is-reportedly-deprioritizing-playstation-vue/

Today Sony reached out to all of the PlayStation Vue affiliates to inform them that they have decided to “deprioritize” PlayStation Vue. This includes Sony shutting down its affiliate program with websites to promote PlayStation Vue. According to the email that went out to PlayStation Vue affiliates sony is deprioritizing Playstation Vue across all channels including affiliates.

What this means for the future of PlayStation Vue is unknown but clearly, Sony has decided to at minimum cut back on its advertising of PlayStation Vue. With that said deprioritizing, it does not mean it will be shutting down. This just means at least with marketings Sony is going to be cutting back.

This comes just over a month after Sony raised the price of PlayStation Vue as part of a deal to keep multiple networks on the service. Sony has reportedly been stuck in 5th places when looking at subscribers behind Sling TV, Hulu, DIRECTV NOW, and YouTube TV. Last we heard PlayStation Vue had about 800,000 subscribers according to reports compared to Sling TV’s 2.2+ million subscribers. It has also been reported that Hulu now has about 2 million live TV subscribers.

Cord Cutters News finds it highly unlikely that Sony will shutdown PlayStation Vue. Sony just recently reached new deals with the NFL Network, NBCUniversal, and Turner Networks to name a few. Sony also just launched a new PlayStation Vue website to promote the fact that you don’t need a PlayStation to use PlayStation Vue. Yet the question now is how much effort will Sony put into PlayStation Vue going forward.

Cord Cutters News has reached out to Sony for comment and will update this story as we learn more.

What are thoughts on Hulu LiveTV?

I refuse to pay a subscription to Google for anything so I’m wondering if this is the next best option?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT