ADVERTISEMENT

Just suspended my DirecTV account

Ostatedchi

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2002
I called and suspended my account for 3 months as a test to see if cutting the cord will work for me.
What I'm replacing it with is:
Youtube TV + Stars
Amazon Prime + HBO
Netflix

That being said I already had Netflix, Prime, HBO & Stars. Basically trading out DirecTV for Youtube TV.

Anyone else do this? Results?

I called and suspended my account for 3 months as a test to see if cutting the cord will work for me.
Youtube TV + Stars
Amazon Prime + HBO
Netflix

That being said I already had Netflix, Prime, HBO & Stars. Basically trading out DirecTV for Youtube TV.

Don't regret the opinion at all.

I have Directv now (includes HBO), prime and Netflix, which we'll drop after Stranger things 3 viewing. Not sure what I'll do for fox Oklahoma in the fall. I'll figure it out then.

Reactions: Ostatedchi
Youtube TV + Stars
Amazon Prime + HBO
Netflix

We will be doing nearly this identical plan in the next month or so,

Reactions: Ostatedchi
I have Directv now (includes HBO), prime and Netflix, which we'll drop after Stranger things 3 viewing. Not sure what I'll do for fox Oklahoma in the fall. I'll figure it out then.
If you have Directv now, you will have access to FS Oklahoma through the Fox Sports Go app. I watched the baseball game today on it.

Youtube TV + Stars
Amazon Prime + HBO
Netflix

Well what’s the difference in pricing. How much is YouTube and does it have locals or regional fox?

YouTube was a little cheaper, I believe 40 per month, but I get unlimited Data for internet because of Directv now w AT&T. I have to have unlimited data w 2 Xboxes in the house and 100gb per game these days.

Well what’s the difference in pricing. How much is YouTube and does it have locals or regional fox?
We had dish a couple years ago. We were paying about $240/mo between cable internet, dish on 3 TVs and Netflix. Now we pay about $150 for those with subbing Directv now for Dish.

YoutubeTV is 50 bucks a month. Yes to all the locals and regional fox.
I found a site listing all the channels. About 70.

YouTube TV Channels
As previously stated, the service will provide live access to ABC, NBC, FOX, and CBS. The CW will also come with the service. However, the service really starts to shine when it comes to sports.

Having local broadcast networks will already provide plenty of live sports. Furthermore YouTube TV provides the following channels: AMC, BBC America , BBC World News, Big Ten Network, Bravo, CBS Sports Network, SNY, CNBC, Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, E!, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNews, FOX Business, CNBC World, Cozi TV, FOX News, Freeform, Fox Sports 1, Fox Sports 2, FX, FXM, FXX, Golf Channel, IFC, MSNBC, NBCSN, Nat Geo, Nat Geo Wild, Newsy, Olympic Channel, Oxygen, Pop, SEC Network, Sundance TV, Syfy, Telemundo, Tennis Channel, Universal Kids, Universo , USA, YouTube Red Originals, Cheddar, Weather Channel Local Now, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, CNN, Comet, HLN, TBS, TCM, TNT, truTV, Turner Classic Movies, MLB Network, NBA TV, Tastemade, TYT Network, Discovery Channel, HGTV, Food Network, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, Travel Channel, MotorTrend, and WE tv.

Reactions: CowboyPhil
Our daughter just got us an Apple TV for a combined Mother's/Father's Day gift. Getting rid of our $280/month Cox bill this week and going try Youtube TV. Question, we'd like to let her access it, but with her living in Dallas and us in Kansas, can there be different sets of local channels on the same account? Thanks.

Our daughter just got us an Apple TV for a combined Mother's/Father's Day gift. Getting rid of our $280/month Cox bill this week and going try Youtube TV. Question, we'd like to let her access it, but with her living in Dallas and us in Kansas, can there be different sets of local channels on the same account? Thanks.
I don't think so. You set up your account with a zip code. I didn't see a way to input multiple.

Reactions: TPOKE
Youtube TV + Stars
Amazon Prime + HBO
Netflix

We are getting ready to pull the trigger on DIRECTV Now. We get free HBO through that due to our data plan. Already have Amazon Prime and Netflix.

I don't think so. You set up your account with a zip code. I didn't see a way to input multiple.
Well, if there's anyone on this board who'd know, it'd be you. Thanks for your help!

Well, if there's anyone on this board who'd know, it'd be you. Thanks for your help!
I even set up a 'family group' so we can have individual profiles. But even then, I didn't see any place for the others to put in a different zip code. My daughter is in college. It would be good for her to be able to put in her own zipcode.

Reactions: TPOKE
Youtube TV + Stars
Amazon Prime + HBO
Netflix

Have had Youtube TV and Philo for over a year, there are things I miss and things I dislike. The biggest thing I dislike is not a problem with streaming providers but ISP's, and that's 1 TB data cap. With my 3 security cameras and a stay a home wife with 2 kids the TV is going pretty much all day and we have gone over our cap a few times and get close just about every month. The only other thing I miss is station numbers, I could just punch in 206 and be at ESPN isntead of having to scroll down to my sports section on my YTTV guide.

Other than that we don't really miss DTV.

I would love to ditch the satellite TV cost. The ONLY thing I have it for really is sports. Thing is I rarely watch a full sporting event live...even OSU football I'm usually out doing something until halftime, and just come in and start the DVR whenever I feel like watching.

Any way to watch delayed with any of these streaming services?? some type of dvr usable? I know espn+ has some content you can watch on replay, but in my experience the quality of has been atrocious. If I have to watch live, I'll probably never catch another Saturday afternoon basketball game, baseball, nascar, golf, etc...

@OSUIvan that's why I have AT&T with Directvnow. No cap on the internet if you have AT&T internet service.

I did not like DTV Now's UI, the DVR was not there, then when they finally added it , only gave 20 hours. Plus ATT internet in my area sucks compared to Cox internet.

Makes sense. I have to have the unlimited as I was hitting cap within 2 weeks with game downloads. I did try the YouTubeTV before switching to AT&T and I did like it better as far as 4 accounts and the DVR, but would hit the cap monthly and make it not worth it.

I thought about it, but I decided to stay with Comcast. I have gigabit internet, All the channels, home security and automation, and unlimited local and long distance phone calls, including Mexico and Canada, which is important for me due to work. That runs me $260 a month.

I thought about it, but I decided to stay with Comcast. I have gigabit internet, All the channels, home security and automation, and unlimited local and long distance phone calls, including Mexico and Canada, which is important for me due to work. That runs me $260 a month.
Mine is $280 with cox. I'm paying for a lot of channels I don't even sniff and they keep raising my rates because of the people that jump ship, like I am. Probably only going to save $100/month, but more about the principle.

We've had Comcast for 7 years now and love it. Service has almost always been great, and I renegotiate the price every two years when our old plan expires.

We're in a similar boat to you, but don't have their home security. I think we're paying $185/month now that we added HBO for GOT.

FYI for cord cutters who want HBO. Be careful. If you have an LG TV it doesn’t support the HBO Now app because it uses Flash. But you can order HBO through Amazon with your prime membership and watch it through there. Strange loop hole but glad I did my research.

I cannot cut the cord as a family who follows the Astros. Astros are only on ATT Sports SW. The only streaming service that carries ATTSSW (to my knowledge) is FUBO or something. Fubo does not even carry ESPN.

YoutubeTV would be my preference but without astros games in the evening- no way. One would think you could get MLB Live or whatever it is called but in Oklahoma, every home game roughly for STL, KC, TX and Houston is blacked out.

If anyone has anything to add to my dilemma please help. If not I will continue to pay $125 for Directv w sports/HD package.

Loaded youtube tv this morning. Still a learning curve from what we're used to, but like what I'm seeing so far.

Reactions: OSUIvan
Haven't had cable/satellite in ten years. Suddenlink internet 100mbps - $58.37 per month, Netflix - $12.99 per month, HBO Now for GOT $14.99 for two months per year then cancel. Use parents Amazon Prime access and pay them $10 per month and during football season I pay them $25 per month for ESPN and Fox Sports access. Use a digital antenna to pick up ABC/CBS/NBC/Fox/CW and others that I don't watch. Takes care of my needs. When I cut the cord I did as a temporary test to see if I could handle not having 200 channels I didn't use and ten years later I don't miss a thing.

Loaded youtube tv this morning. Still a learning curve from what we're used to, but like what I'm seeing so far.

Press down twice when your watching TV and it will show you the last 4 channels/shows.

Also I suggest saving (aka recording) any and every movie you may want to watch. You'll get a nice library of movies to watch since there is no limit on the DVR.

About damn time you cut the cord. I do services:

Hulu - Live, HBO & Showtime
Amazon Prime Video
Netflix

Costs me less than half of what my cable company service did. WatchESPN now accepts my Hulu login as a provider so I can watch ESPN3, etc.

I had two separate Directv accounts in two different states and cancelled both of them just now because of you guys! I even paid a $590 cancellation fee which will be made up in 2-3 months.

I downloaded YouTube tv and like it especially since it includes FS1, FS2 and all the ESPN channels. I realize that you can get all that on directv now but it costs more.

Any more thoughts on the differences between the two?

I cut DTV last fall. Only have AT&T Gigabit internet (about $70 per month I think) and Amazon Prime (but don't really watch anything on it). We watch pretty much zero TV, but the kids usually figure out some way to watch stuff over the internet - i.e., they were watching the NBA game last night and I have no idea how.

I may do Youtube TV for football in the fall, or something else, but not missing TV at all.

Reactions: CBradSmith
For those that have cut the chord, are you using your iPads or phones as remotes? How does that work when you have multiple TVs?

I think Apple TV has a remote w a box but most do not so trying to figure out how this works w younger kids without personal phones.

For those that have cut the chord, are you using your iPads or phones as remotes? How does that work when you have multiple TVs?

I think Apple TV has a remote w a box but most do not so trying to figure out how this works w younger kids without personal phones.
Smart TV.

Can project from my phone. Even better, just use the Roku app that comes ready made with the TV.

On an older TV I just bought the Roku device that plugs in to the TV.

Added Hulu, Netflix, and DTV from there.

We use the remotes that came with Apple TV.

I have chromecast devices on all my TV's so I can cast anything from my phones, tablets, PC's to any TV. I also have a Google Home Hub in my kitchen to display recipes, cooking videos, or streaming on that display. Of course my home is a smart home so I can control lights, locks, TV's, garage door, etc. with my voice.

Edit: P.s. The best thing with my google smart home is that google home now allows you to set up routines. I have a good morning, I am home, I am leaving, and good night routines.

I had two separate Directv accounts in two different states and cancelled both of them just now because of you guys! I even paid a $590 cancellation fee which will be made up in 2-3 months.

I downloaded YouTube tv and like it especially since it includes FS1, FS2 and all the ESPN channels. I realize that you can get all that on directv now but it costs more.

Any more thoughts on the differences between the two?

Directv DVR is limited, Youtube TV's DVR is unlimited (Saves it for 6 or 9 months , but will record it agian when it comes on and resets the "timer") . I personally record any and every movie that I might want to watch so now I have a very large movie library on youtube that I can fast forward through commercials.

YTTV also has a better compression so if you have data caps it will help with that a lot more than DTV and their crappy compression.

Ultimately you should do a trial of all the services and see what works for you and your family, because what works for me may not work for you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT