ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa gambling suspensions

They have all filed appeals and it doesn't sound like they will be granted any sort of "free year" eligibility or redshirt, medical hardship etc. without their appeals being overturned which is probably a very big long shot.

This entire thing, what were the athletes betting on? Were they betting on their matches? Duals? Other sports?
I am guessing the kids who got suspended they were betting on sports at Iowa or possibly any NCAA sport. They can legally bet on UFC or sports that are not NCAA sponsored. I am guessing the kids who had criminal charges brought up against them were betting on their own team or sport, and the kids with partial suspensions were either betting less often or less money - A one time offense versus multiple offenses. Just a guess from listening to the discussions and what my son tells me. He just had a meeting with all the athletes at his school and they were told they could not bet on any NCAA sport but they were free to be on events not involved in the NCAA like UFC or horse races or whatever.

I am guessing the kids who got suspended they were betting on sports at Iowa or possibly any NCAA sport. They can legally bet on UFC or sports that are not NCAA sponsored. I am guessing the kids who had criminal charges brought up against them were betting on their own team or sport, and the kids with partial suspensions were either betting less often or less money - A one time offense versus multiple offenses. Just a guess from listening to the discussions and what my son tells me. He just had a meeting with all the athletes at his school and they were told they could not bet on any NCAA sport but they were free to be on events not involved in the NCAA like UFC or horse races or whatever.
You don't actually have to guess.

Reactions: okcpokefan12
Should matter how much they bet, I know I did not have any significant Money whe competing in College, If they bet A dollar or even 10 is one thing, if they bet hundreds or thousands is another.

Should matter how much they bet, I know I did not have any significant Money whe competing in College, If they bet A dollar or even 10 is one thing, if they bet hundreds or thousands is another.
How did all this initially go down? Was there a disgruntled whistleblower who knew these guys were making big money on betting? The fact that the NCAA got involved and 1 year suspensions were handed down gives the impression that it wasn't just lunch money they were betting with. Whatever the amount it seems like it was enough to turn some heads and start a investigation.

As I understand it it was a state investigation by their gaming commission. When names started to appear that looked familiar a closer look was taken. This lead to GPS tracking the locations the bets were made. Some of these kids were underage and placed bets with a friends account or a parent made account. It’s amazing that it ran so rampant at ISU and UI but nothing has been heard from UNI. The NCAA piggybacked off of the criminal charges from the state investigation. At this point I’m sure every college coach in America is hammering home the policy’s on sports betting.

I hope ISU is not hurting too much from this. I know that Iowas State had some athletes that were gambling, but not sure if they were wrestlers.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT