ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa dual

Yeah will see. Think Iran cancel might put a dent in it. I bought & got airline tics week before SD ISU duals, canceled all on Tues with Iran out & obvious there'd be no Mastro. Disappointed cause really thought we could bet them with 10 starters healthy. Will be watching on Flo.
Hopefully Mastro can go tomorrow. He looked to be in serious pain after the SDSU dual. If not Cooper Birdwell will remember his first start.

Good luck today vs the Hawks! Beware of flying bottles! I would like nothing better than to see the Pokes take them down!

Adam is an awesome dude. Glad he picked up the torch for wrestling coverage and hope he sticks around Oklahoma to continue to cover it.
Great article! That was a great wrestling season with an ending that almost, couldn’t be worse. Sheets won his second national championship and Monday finally made it to the top on his third try but everyone else on the team choked.

#3 Mark Perry finished 6th losing to #9 and #6 (Riley of Iowa);

#3 John Smith won one match by fall then lost to #10 and was out (no guaranty wrestle back then)

#1 Clar Anderson finished 5th losing to #5 and #10

#2 Luke Skove finished 5th losing to #6 and #4

#1 Monday finished 1st

#2 Bill Dykeman finished 4th losing to #6 and #3

#1 Mike Sheets finished 1st

US Alan Lauchner lost to #1 and #12

#3 Karl Lynes finished 4th losing to #6 twice

US Perry Kaufman loss to #4 and was out

That’s 6 out of 10 wrestlers finishing below seed. 11 of our 14 losses were to lower seeded wrestlers. As the article stated, this massive team choke led to the firing of our coach.

Reactions: NCcowboy
I was just glancing at the freestyle lineup for tonight. Will the Hawkeyes boo Gilman?

Going to be 5 Iowa fans to every OSU fan there tonight and we should be embarrassed by that.
This is where those duals do matter. Lionel had tickets but then in 2 weeks we lose duals to UNI, Iowa State and Missouri and he sold his tickets. These poor performances have likely dropped Cowboy attendance by a lot. We are rated 12th in the country wrestling the number 2 team in the country. I will watch the dual on Flo and because I am a fan I expect that it will be painful. Would I pay hundreds of dollars, drive over 700 miles 1 way to experience pain and frustration? I hope to be wrong but I have watched almost every match this year and for the last 6 weeks I have watched a team get worse.

This is where those duals do matter. Lionel had tickets but then in 2 weeks we lose duals to UNI, Iowa State and Missouri and he sold his tickets. These poor performances have likely dropped Cowboy attendance by a lot. We are rated 12th in the country wrestling the number 2 team in the country. I will watch the dual on Flo and because I am a fan I expect that it will be painful. Would I pay hundreds of dollars, drive over 700 miles 1 way to experience pain and frustration? I hope to be wrong but I have watched almost every match this year and for the last 6 weeks I have watched a team get worse.
Let’s hope the hard work everyone is putting in shows results today.

Going to be 5 Iowa fans to every OSU fan there tonight and we should be embarrassed by that.

We should but Iowa is coming off a NC and was the favorite for it again in 2022 until the injury to Lee. Excitement and momentum has been as high as it has in a decade at Iowa.

OSU is now at 15 years and counting from our last NC and weren’t expected to be legitimate contenders this year. You add what’s happened the last two weeks on the mat and AJ being out and you were looking at weaker attendance than hoped.

The organizers certainly had some bad luck. Besides Spencer Lee & AJ being out, they lost Iran too. Could have seen Yazdani at 86 kg and then potentially Gable Stevenson in a #1 vs #2 at 125 kg.

We should but Iowa is coming off a NC and was the favorite for it again in 2022 until the injury to Lee. Excitement and momentum has been as high as it has in a decade at Iowa.

OSU is now at 15 years and counting from our last NC and weren’t expected to be legitimate contenders this year. You add what’s happened the last two weeks on the mat and AJ being out and you were looking at weaker attendance than hoped.
We thought about going but I didn’t want to spend lots of money on watching beat down

Reactions: bwel9339
Iowa is a different animal with so many fifth, sixth and seventh year guys. Those guys were just so much stronger than our younger guys. There was fight in everyone and if we continue to work we will do better. Before the year very few thought that G was the answer at 141 and he has been adequate. Our hopes are that Carter Young, Travis Whitlake, Dustin Plott, and Surber keep developing and getting stronger and this will be a tough team with the recruits we are bringing in. Surber may not be the solution at heavyweight, but I like his effort.
Remember Iowa won the championship with mostly the same guys that came back for a super senior year and most have stayed healthy.

Reactions: turfpoke
Surber has the skill set and talent. The only question is can he get big enough. If he can he is an AA type.

His size and where he can get to and hold is a legitimate question however. He is still a FR.
I agree.

What does top heavy even mean? National champion? Multiple time national champion? Conference champ? Multiple time conference champ? Multiple time all American? Please explain parameters.

He will never be a top 8 heavy . You want to win titles you can’t have experiments .

I also think Assuming Fix is coming back next year is not certain. Look at his age and it’s no secret he has Olympic dreams

Only 9.9 scholarships. Without a robust RTC like the other programs have we will stay at a continued disadvantage. It is what it is at this point.
Exactly our RTC sucks compared to PSU , Iowa , Cornell and Ohio state . We will never sniff another title until this changes

He will never be a top 8 heavy . You want to win titles you can’t have experiments .

I think he definitely can be if he can get to and hold around 245 pounds. He has 3 years to do it but he has shown some offensive ability many of the current top 8 HWY’s don’t have.

His major problem right now is that he weighs 221 pounds.

It’s not an experiment if you’ve done it before and it worked. Derek White wasn’t going to be any good either moving up from 197….right?
Remember Greg Kerkvliet committing to OSU? That is where the hole came from.

It’s not an experiment if you’ve done it before and it worked. Derek White wasn’t going to be any good either moving up from 197….right?
Nice to have Shawn Streck. Isn’t he tearing it up at UCO?

I think he definitely can be if he can get to and hold around 245 pounds. He has 3 years to do it but he has shown some offensive ability many of the current top 8 HWY’s don’t have.

His major problem right now is that he weighs 221 pounds.
He has shown no fear on the mat going up against world champs and all Americans who I might add weigh a hell of a lot more than him. That’s what I want to see in all of our wrestlers. Now here’s the deal with Surber. He’s at 285 because he grew height wise and started filling out after his senior year. He is weighing around 220 but that’s a daily effort to get to that weight for him. He’s a legit 197. He needs to add about 15 more pounds of muscle from where he is right now and get to around 235-240 and I think he will have the frame for 285. There is also the learning curve for the weight class and I think he’s figuring out how to wrestle in it better each match.

Surber is our best option at HWT right now and as sad as that might seem to some of you it’s the truth. HWT has been our weakest recruiting weight for a while. It’s hard to find young HWT recruits that are legit AA contenders out of the gate. It’s a evolving weight class that is favoring agility and muscle over size. So I do think the “bulk job” approach is a good one. We have proven that it can work. And if we can develop a non scholarship guy into a AA then even better, it’s just the time frame. We already need to have another guy lined up who’s bulking when Surber is about to leave and not have these 2-3 year holes. I do think we need to be going after Jimmy Mullen, but again that would suck up some scholarship $ and I don’t think he will be a National Champ when looking at some guys that he’s going to be competing against.

And as far as the RTC stuff. PSU is really the only program IMO that is actively trying to use it as a recruiting tool. They are bringing in big names as training partners. Cowboy RTC is definitely far behind on their program but it’s not like Iowa or Cornell is doing all that much better than us. Look at their recruiting classes and ask yourself if their RTC has helped them.

I think we need to be more concerned about the wrestlers we got right now and why some aren’t developing.

And as far as the RTC stuff. PSU is really the only program IMO that is actively trying to use it as a recruiting tool. They are bringing in big names as training partners. Cowboy RTC is definitely far behind on their program but it’s not like Iowa or Cornell is doing all that much better than us. Look at their recruiting classes and ask yourself if their RTC has helped them.

I think we need to be more concerned about the wrestlers we got right now and why some aren’t developing.

Iowa and OhSt are as well.

Derek White transfered in to OSU as a 174.

Ohio State is literally paying guys with an NIL opportunity from a national pest control company who's CEO is a big buckeyes wrestling fan. If not for that, they wouldn't have the top recruiting class this year.

Oklahoma State pulled in two #1 recruiting classes in a row, and the incoming one is top 10 and fills some gaps at middle weights.

Iowa is going to drop off next season.

It's all going to be alright. There's a plan. If it doesn't pan out in the next three years, then changes need to be made.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT