ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa dual

A OSU "home" dual on flo wrestling. Thanks for the information, but disappointing as I am sure it will be subscription only. Please provide updates if possible.
How did Flo get this? Everything else is on ESPN+. I’m guessing since we moved venues that allowed Flo in.

I’m ready to count him out. He has shown me nothing this year that suggests that he is an elite wrestler and his opponent is at that level.
I’m hoping Dustin proves you wrong. His opponent is a 7th year senior and a proven stud. Kemerer was 57-5 after his first 2 seasons including RS. Plott is 26-8 so far through his first 2 seasons. I believe all 6 of his losses last season came after his shoulder injury. BTW Kemerer was pinned twice in those 2 seasons.

Last edited:
Could get blanked. .. like OSU has a way better chance of getting blanked than winning 5 matches.

You’re a troll, no Oklahoma State wrestling fan is going to act like you do.
I'll cop to trolling you, and the blanking comment was a little trollish. However, I am a fan. I am just amazed at how mediocre this team is. E.g. Two ACC teams are better this year. There were years when no wrestler from the ACC would start for OSU.

Reactions: bwel9339
I'll cop to trolling you, and the blanking comment was a little trollish. However, I am a fan. I am just amazed at how mediocre this team is. E.g. Two ACC teams are better this year. There were years when no wrestler from the ACC would start for OSU.
Definitely a troll. When the cowboys win a trophy this year , you won’t hear from them until some adversity happens.

Too many people living in the past.

If Mastro goes vs Ayala. Mastro

Fix vs DeSanto. Fix

C Young vs Eirman. Eirman will be looking to funk it up. Carter firing shot after shot may end up in a cradle. Eirman gasses though. I wouldn’t choose bottom.

G vs Murin. Toss up. Murin looks for one takedown. G likes to mix it up. Get after it in the first period. G seems to have found some swagger

Sheets vs Kaleb Young. They’ve both beat each other. Not sure either fan base has confidence in their guy winning.

Wittlake vs Marinelli. Marinelli is looking good lately. We need to put an NCAA sticker on the mat and it favors Wittlake. I’m not sure what my game plan would be against him. I’d probably choose neutral.

Plott vs Kemerer. Toughest guy Dustin has faced in his young career. Kemerer has lost 11 matches in his 7 year career. I’m not sure Kemerer has any weaknesses.

Geer vs Assad. Assad doesn’t seem overly strong. Geer struggles against strong wrestlers. Geer’s gas tank wins him matches against opponents of equal strength. I’m not sure how Assad’s gas tank is, seems pretty good.

Stika vs Warner. Warner is tough but not flashy. Warner has gas tank issues. Warner will probably be just too strong for Stika.

Surber or Harris vs Cassioppi. Biggest mismatch of the dual. I’d prefer to see Harris go here. Cassioppi likes that turk/choke. He’s good at upper body.

6 matches that are basically toss ups.
4 where they are solid favorites.

Pins and upsets have cost the pokes 3 duals this season. Can we flip that around and pull off the upset?

Reactions: DPJ
Definitely a troll. When the cowboys win a trophy this year , you won’t hear from them until some adversity happens.
I don’t see the enjoyment out of complaining nonstop just because things aren’t going perfectly. We know what type of teammates they were. They’d fake an injury so they could blame others for the loss.

There are always going to be three types of fans. Optimistic, pessimistic, and realistic. I’m always optimistic that with the young wrestlers we’re going to see the lights come on and have the next Jake Rosholt, Mark Branch, Teague Moore, or Chris Pendleton.
There lies 1 of our problems in that those 4 you listed helped us win a team title through individual improvement with each winning 1 , 2 or even 3 National Championships. You could include Johny Thompson, Johny Hendricks, Coleman Scott. These were special times with wrestler development and National Championships and team Championships. I continue to look for that development with individual and team titles. We have finished well sometimes ( last year poor Big 12 but very good NCAA Tournament). Injuries and poor performances have me questioning this year and the future. But I am hopeful but we have not won in a long time. I went to all 4 Nationals in early 2000's ( Kansas City, 2 St. Louis's and an Oklahoma City). A fantastic time when I was rightfully an optimist in reality. Based on reality I am pessimistic and in general negative about our performances. For us to win individual and team NCAA titles we have to be way better. By the way Mark Branch's National Championship his freshman year was not that surprising to me. Because if I remember right at the Big 12 Championships semi's Branch was killing Oklahoma's high ranked wrestler taking him down over and over again before getting caught and pinned. I thought he is going to do good at Nationals. I don't think there is any need to judge Cowboy fans but I don't mind calling out someone trolling us.

There lies 1 of our problems in that those 4 you listed helped us win a team title through individual improvement with each winning 1 , 2 or even 3 National Championships. You could include Johny Thompson, Johny Hendricks, Coleman Scott. These were special times with wrestler development and National Championships and team Championships. I continue to look for that development with individual and team titles. We have finished well sometimes ( last year poor Big 12 but very good NCAA Tournament). Injuries and poor performances have me questioning this year and the future. But I am hopeful but we have not won in a long time. I went to all 4 Nationals in early 2000's ( Kansas City, 2 St. Louis's and an Oklahoma City). A fantastic time when I was rightfully an optimist in reality. Based on reality I am pessimistic and in general negative about our performances. For us to win individual and team NCAA titles we have to be way better. By the way Mark Branch's National Championship his freshman year was not that surprising to me. Because if I remember right at the Big 12 Championships semi's Branch was killing Oklahoma's high ranked wrestler taking him down over and over again before getting caught and pinned. I thought he is going to do good at Nationals. I don't think there is any need to judge Cowboy fans but I don't mind calling out someone trolling us.
Mark Branch during the middle of his freshman season would have been thrown to the curb by many on this forum. Anyone saying any different is being disingenuous. Once he proved he was good….he was good and then everyone loved him.
Everyone give these young guys a chance. There are more studs coming.

I think people forget that 5 of our starters are freshman. And that’s because 4 of those 5 had a odd shortened covid year last year so that wasn’t even a full season. I wouldn’t be surprised to see 3 of those 5 freshman AA. I think my only judgement on the development of our guys comes from more of the lack of mental toughness and aggressive attitude. I know that’s been one of Coach Smiths biggest complaint about his guys this year. One wrestler who I don’t think is wrestling up to his full potential is Wittlake. He has wrestled the top guys at his weight very close but to me has yet to display that AJ Ferrari attitude and confidence. Sometimes he looks like he’s already been beat before the match really starts. I would love to see this change throughout the team but I’m not sure if you can teach that. Hopefully we will see a different team this weekend against Iowa.

I think people forget that 5 of our starters are freshman. And that’s because 4 of those 5 had a odd shortened covid year last year so that wasn’t even a full season. I wouldn’t be surprised to see 3 of those 5 freshman AA. I think my only judgement on the development of our guys comes from more of the lack of mental toughness and aggressive attitude. I know that’s been one of Coach Smiths biggest complaint about his guys this year. One wrestler who I don’t think is wrestling up to his full potential is Wittlake. He has wrestled the top guys at his weight very close but to me has yet to display that AJ Ferrari attitude and confidence. Sometimes he looks like he’s already been beat before the match really starts. I would love to see this change throughout the team but I’m not sure if you can teach that. Hopefully we will see a different team this weekend against Iowa.
I believe you are 100% correct on the toughness part. Is it toughness or unwillingness to lose? And can that be taught?
My expectation for any wrestler coming into Oklahoma State’s room is that they are in 10 minute wrestling shape, motivated, and tougher than their opponent. I don’t believe coaches should need to teach that. I believe the coaches should be teaching technique and mentoring.

I believe you are 100% correct on the toughness part. Is it toughness or unwillingness to lose? And can that be taught?
My expectation for any wrestler coming into Oklahoma State’s room is that they are in 10 minute wrestling shape, motivated, and tougher than their opponent. I don’t believe coaches should need to teach that. I believe the coaches should be teaching technique and mentoring.
Toughness and unwillingness to lose It’s all mental. The unwillingness to lose will reflect your performance on the mat. You will leave everything on the mat in order to not lose. I wrestled for several years and it’s a tough tough sport. You don’t get to the level they are at and into the program they are in with OSU if you’re not tough. It’s the coaches responsibility to help you tap that next level everyone has inside them that you haven’t reached yet.

Reactions: turfpoke
But what we are discussing right now is what I think this team has lacked this year. It’s possible they just haven’t really been pushed that hard in competition this year until the last couple of weeks when it looked like the wheels were coming off. I believe by big12 and ncaa this team will show the heart we believe they have. Like I said earlier though. I want to see how they show up for the Iowa dual on a big stage. No better time to have that burning desire to win.

Reactions: DPJ and turfpoke
Toughness and unwillingness to lose It’s all mental. The unwillingness to lose will reflect your performance on the mat. You will leave everything on the mat in order to not lose. I wrestled for several years and it’s a tough tough sport. You don’t get to the level they are at and into the program they are in with OSU if you’re not tough. It’s the coaches responsibility to help you tap that next level everyone has inside them that you haven’t reached yet.
I agree 100%. Good news is once guys find the level of toughness it takes then they’ve got it. Last year for AJ it took losing to Noah Adams. You could see with him that he said that’s not happening again, I’ve got to take this to a different level.

Last edited:
Mark Branch during the middle of his freshman season would have been thrown to the curb by many on this forum. Anyone saying any different is being disingenuous. Once he proved he was good….he was good and then everyone loved him.
Everyone give these young guys a chance. There are more studs coming.
I said that I saw how good he was at the Big 12's.

I said that I saw how good he was at the Big 12's.
My apologies Harley. What do you think changed him? Just the confidence that what he was doing would work? Probably helps that he’s 6’2”(?)and 167 lbs. That’s a different kind of animal coming at you.

My apologies Harley. What do you think changed him? Just the confidence that what he was doing would work? Probably helps that he’s 6’2”(?)and 167 lbs. That’s a different kind of animal coming at you.
He was very good on his feet shooting takedowns. As you said 6:2 really helps especially if you are quick. Midway through the season you would see he was getting better on top( again 6:2 helps). I don't remember but I think he was good on bottom. One last thing was he was practicing with Pat Smith most of the time. I think i remember hearing from Pat Smith that he was not surprised that Mark won Nationals. He thought Mark Branch was the toughest guy he wrestled all year as the season progressed. Again I would love to see our guys progress like the guys you mentioned. I am wanting to see this forums name be changed to 35 and counting. But what I have seen this last 2 weeks has created doubts. From the beginning of this year I have thought next year is our real chance to win again. But a little progress won't get us there. UNI beat us and somehow Missouri beat us when the match was almost sown up. It creates doubt.

Last edited:
When thinking about marketing and expanding awareness of the sport and program, it is disappointment this will be on FLO. While the avid wrestling fan that has a subscription will be able to see it (and probably many will watch that won't watch another OSU match this year), many that have paid for ESPN + to see OSU sports will miss this and it won't bring in the casual fan or someone who may not have watched wrestling previously. I get that OSU provides the stream for home duals to ESPN for broadcasting and the difficulty of doing this in Arlington at a baseball stadium.

I just wish both OSU and Iowa could have worked to get this on ESPN U as it would have been much better for those fans and potential fans that don't have a flo subscription. And I would rather have on B1G network if ESPN was not an option, even with their biased announcers that are a challenge to listen to.

OSU has an obligation to ESPN and if they had any say, I'm sure it would have been on ESPN... who likely would've picked up the broadcast and put it on ESPN U at least.

OSU has an obligation to ESPN and if they had any say, I'm sure it would have been on ESPN... who likely would've picked up the broadcast and put it on ESPN U at least.
Yes, but without OSU the Texas Rangers ballpark would not have the dual. Could have been part of the contract and a stipulation for doing it there.

I would guess Rev entertainment is only concerned about what they make from the event and no real interest in growing the sport or concern about access for OK State wrestling fans- especially those that live in other parts of the country.

Last edited:
Does OSU have rights to USA broadcasts? There's prob a reason its in TX.
You’re correct Ionel. I’m sure OSU does not. I hope there is a great turnout tomorrow. If it is less than what GIA holds it will be disappointing. With the way the wheels have fallen off of this thing I’m fully expecting Flo’s streaming to go down also.

You’re correct Ionel. I’m sure OSU does not. I hope there is a great turnout tomorrow. If it is less than what GIA holds it will be disappointing. With the way the wheels have fallen off of this thing I’m fully expecting Flo’s streaming to go down also.
Yeah will see. Think Iran cancel might put a dent in it. I bought & got airline tics week before SD ISU duals, canceled all on Tues with Iran out & obvious there'd be no Mastro. Disappointed cause really thought we could bet them with 10 starters healthy. Will be watching on Flo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT