ADVERTISEMENT

If you have seen the Last Jedi post here

With Luke gone, and no Jedis in training, it is hard to imagine anyone stopping the Knights. Rey against 6+ force trained individuals is a huge mismatch. I guess she might have a chance if Kylo turns and teams up with her.
Well I know we don't know exactly a lot about them, but it looked like there were more than 5 bodies around the temple so it could be that some of them aren't force sensitive. Also they use more conventional weapons, based on concept art and I don't think they would all throw away their lightsabers for lesser weapons.

Reactions: Been Jammin
Fin’s story was boring.

Snoke build up for not much.
My main gripes right here. I think Snoke was a huge missed opportunity for this trilogy because he was so fvcking cool and bad ass. One of the best/intriguing Star Wars villains ever and we don't know anything about him and he died in a very anticlimactic way. I wish we could have taken out Fin and the fat asian chick's story and put a little bit about Snoke. Anything would have been great.

Overall I enjoyed this movie. A WHOLE lot to digest. I've only seen it opening night and I want to watch it at least 2 more times before I really give my full review. This is a movie that needs at least 2 viewings before you can really rate it IMO.

My main gripes right here. I think Snoke was a huge missed opportunity for this trilogy because he was so fvcking cool and bad ass. One of the best/intriguing Star Wars villains ever and we don't know anything about him and he died in a very anticlimactic way. I wish we could have taken out Fin and the fat asian chick's story and put a little bit about Snoke. Anything would have been great.

Overall I enjoyed this movie. A WHOLE lot to digest. I've only seen it opening night and I want to watch it at least 2 more times before I really give my full review. This is a movie that needs at least 2 viewings before you can really rate it IMO.
We didn't know anything more about the Emperor in the OT than we do Snoke. I've seen it twice now and tomorrow will make a 3rd time. I think it is one of those films that gets better with each viewing at least it is that way to me.

We didn't know anything more about the Emperor in the OT than we do Snoke
I've heard this defense of it and I get that, but that doesn't mean we couldn't have had a little background in this trilogy. I will be fine with it if they have something in episode 9 though.

Another reason for having backstory into Snoke is that we have 6 movies (7 counting TFA) under our belt and we know how the empire rose in the last war. It would be beneficial to the audience to understand how the first order began and why people are following this supreme leader who has seemingly picked up where the emperor left off.

I've heard this defense of it and I get that, but that doesn't mean we couldn't have had a little background in this trilogy. I will be fine with it if they have something in episode 9 though.

Another reason for having backstory into Snoke is that we have 6 movies (7 counting TFA) under our belt and we know how the empire rose in the last war. It would be beneficial to the audience to understand how the first order began and why people are following this supreme leader who has seemingly picked up where the emperor left off.
It's out there just not in the movies which doesn't help most of the audience I understand. We don't know how Snoke took over the FO cause he wasn't apart of the founding.

Last edited:
Saw it tonight. 40 years ago when I was a kid, my uncle and I waited 3 hours outside of a movie theatre in Colorado Springs to see the original. I was hooked.

Tonight I was more than a little underwhelmed. One last real light sabre battle for Luke would have been nice.

Luke's interaction with Yoda was enjoyable.

Rey struggled more as a character and wasn't perfect -- which I liked.

The trip to planet Vegas was too long unless they're setting something up.

Flying space Leia was stupid.

I still like Poe and Finn. Chinese chick? Not so much.

Kylo Ren is a great character.

I'd rate this one a disappointing 5 out of 10. Not nearly as good as the last one and not in the same galaxy as Rogue One, which was spectacular.

An interesting take on the crap Disney is pulling with the Star Wars franchise to destroy the Lucas legacy.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/2491..._content=062316-news&utm_campaign=benshapiro#

It's all true. It is not even close to what it was in the original trilogy (really the first 2). I thought maybe it was because I am much older and not as easily impressed/sucked in, but it is clearly much more than that.

With that said, we will all spend our money to go see Episode 9 during the first week it is released. What a bunch of rubes, we are.

Reactions: AC_Exotic
It's all true. It is not even close to what it was in the original trilogy (really the first 2). I thought maybe it was because I am much older and not as easily impressed/sucked in, but it is clearly much more than that.

With that said, we will all spend our money to go see Episode 9 during the first week it is released. What a bunch of rubes, we are.

I'll be there the first weekend. Probably for the Han Solo movie too.

That being, said, I'm not going to go see this one a second time -- which I always at least did for the other Star Wars movies.

For the future movies I'm actually going to wait a week for impressions and fan critiques.

As I've said, I found the movie entertaining but the more I ruminate on it the less excited I am about where it's going.

The influence of Disney on all their properties to conform to certain rules (i.e. political correctness) is wearing me down and with every successive thing they generate I'm less inclined to return for more.

I'm still enjoying the Marvel movies but my interest is continuing to wane for those as well.

I'm still enjoying the Marvel movies but my interest is continuing to wane for those as well.
I think after Avengers "Infinity War" I will be over all the Marvel stuff. I bet it goes in a way different direction after that movie.

They are already filming the next Avengers movie (after I. War), but won't release the name because the title is a spoiler. I'm guessing that Thor, Hulk, IM and Cap are all out of the picture and the title is The New Avengers.

Sometimes you just want your childhood hero’s to still be “alive.” Disney can make all the Star Wars movies it wants and I’ll probably watch them all but don’t kill off these iconic old characters just to have more creative freedom.

Disney eventually ruins everything, just like they did with music.

At least the Marvel movies are still pretty good.

If they keep fast-tracking all these Star Wars movies -- everyone will get burned out on the franchise.

Part of what made the other iterations so special (even the prequels) was that you had to wait so darned long between releases (even during a trilogy run). The anticipation put people over the top excited.

Now? Just another property.

Saw it tonight. 40 years ago when I was a kid, my uncle and I waited 3 hours outside of a movie theatre in Colorado Springs to see the original. I was hooked.

Tonight I was more than a little underwhelmed. One last real light sabre battle for Luke would have been nice.

Luke's interaction with Yoda was enjoyable.

Rey struggled more as a character and wasn't perfect -- which I liked.

The trip to planet Vegas was too long unless they're setting something up.

Flying space Leia was stupid.

I still like Poe and Finn. Chinese chick? Not so much.

Kylo Ren is a great character.

I'd rate this one a disappointing 5 out of 10. Not nearly as good as the last one and not in the same galaxy as Rogue One, which was spectacular.
I probably liked a little better than you, but agree with most of what you said. Rose was definitely the weakest link in the film.

Reactions: AC_Exotic
Just watched it. Haven't had time to digest it all.

But. I. LOVED. It.

Thought it was much more adult and dark. Yes there were nods to the kiddos with the comic relief. But overall, seemed much better.

I liked the story arc with Fin and the Asian girl... They little kid they found was reminiscent of all the others that have been found. Just like Anniken, Luke, Ray... they all were found in similar stories.

Kylo Ren is now the most interesting character remaining in the SW universe.

Rey would be second.

Clearly they are set up for a final showdown as the main focus of nine.

They seem to share some common background but I can't buy the twin theory unless Lia just failed to mention her daughter the past two movies. Too cheesy. Far more likely Han left a love child in some spaceport but that wouldn't give her any Skywalker blood. Could be Luke's kid I guess but he didn't have a clue if she was. Maybe Yoda got freaky.

Who the hell was Snoke and where did he come from?

Yoda's appearance I did enjoy

Chewy just seem lost without his buddy.

Could have done without milking scene, damn birds and snow foxes. Might as well just brought back the Ewoks.

Agree we haven't seen the last of DJ (Del Toro).

Obviously the kid in the last seen will likewise be significant down the road.

Disney is clearly setting up for more than one more movie. There's is no way they are turning this cash machine off in our lifetime.

Reactions: MegaPoke
I think Laura Dern going kamakazi into the First Order ship may have been the single coolest thing I’ve seen in a Star Wars flick.

So why didn't they kamikaze some transports first?

Luke said, at least twice, that he would never leave that planet (he said it specifically, and he said he went there to die).

He said numerous other times he would not return to fight the First Order.

What he did do was far more impressive, in terms of sheer power, than a light saber fight anyway. One final lesson for the pupil consumed by hate.

I guess I’m not sure what you guys expected a more mature Luke to do with Kylo Ren. His mentor intentionally allowed Luke to witness his death, one he accepted with no self defense. Luke chose to fall into the unknown in Empire rather than take Vader’s hand and maybe fight another day. In VI he throws his light saber away.

Luke picks the third option.

He picks the third option again here.

The first time on screen you see the red surface of the salt planet your mind thinks the soldier standing there is bleeding already. Everything that touches that planet leaves red behind. Everything except Luke Skywalker (when you watch it again pay attention to his footsteps. No red). There is no blood on his hands, and he didn’t come to kill.

Man that's good stuff.

The "He's dead. Just kidding, not really." shtick is getting old.

Kylo Ren is now the most interesting character remaining in the SW universe.

Rey would be second.

Clearly they are set up for a final showdown as the main focus of nine.

They seem to share some common background but I can't buy the twin theory unless Lia just failed to mention her daughter the past two movies. Too cheesy. Far more likely Han left a love child in some spaceport but that wouldn't give her any Skywalker blood. Could be Luke's kid I guess but he didn't have a clue if she was. Maybe Yoda got freaky.

Who the hell was Snoke and where did he come from?

Yoda's appearance I did enjoy

Chewy just seem lost without his buddy.

Could have done without milking scene, damn birds and snow foxes. Might as well just brought back the Ewoks.

Agree we haven't seen the last of DJ (Del Toro).

Obviously the kid in the last seen will likewise be significant down the road.

Disney is clearly setting up for more than one more movie. There's is no way they are turning this cash machine off in our lifetime.

I was thinking that the Leia daughter reveal scene was planned for episode nine, but Carries death threw a kink into that plan. Now they have to find some other way to reveal it. Or they will change course.

I’m not sure I agree about broom kid being a key character. I was thinking that scene was put there to show us that being force sensitive is much more common than we all thought. It might have even been a scene they shot after Fischer’s death, because they now are forced to stick with Kylo’s version of Rey’s parentage instead of what they originally had planned.

Reactions: Ostatedchi
Seemed like a bit of sloppiness here and there, didn't like floating Lea, the pointless side mission just drug things out, but I loved it overall. It felt epic, and I never really anyone but Rea, Poe and Kylo were safe. Loooooved the Luke scene. He wasnt going to kill Kylo, and wasn't going to let Kylo kill Luke... He didn't want that on kylos head later in life. He believes Rea can still turn him, but not if he had both his and his dad's death on his mind.

Saw it.

Wasn't as bad as I feared based on reading this thread, and I ended up liking it more than TFA.

I can appreciate that Luke had to pass the baton. They made it to where he went out on his terms, which had it's strengths, as told above by @TheRedSon . Also it now removes the "safety blanket" of having this incredibly powerful, good Jedi sitting in the background who could jump on at any time to save the movie... these characters gotta survive on their own merit.

Along with Rey being 'nobody', showing you don't have to be of royal blood to be powerful.

Altho, if you think about it, Anakin was also 'nobody'.

Maybe the stable boy can be a future 'nobody'.

We knew nothing more about Palp until 1-3. Backstory became interesting because we knew him. 5-6 he was just the Emperor with the wrinkly face (and originally fish eyes). So, yes, 1-3 actually did something good for us, they made Palp an interesting character; arguably one of the more interesting in that whole trilogy. Can you imagine the backstory movies they could do on him?
hqdefault.jpg

The whole Las Vegas thing was new gen PC bull$hit; war breed corruption breeds greed breeds war crap. Even the, who is a bad guy who is a good guy in the arms race thing was tree hugger.

Did anyone else see a symbol when the tree burned, like either a mirror or the jedi temple or a big rebel symbol in the whole of the flame? Maybe that was just me seeing things.

I think Yoda showed up specifically to teach Luke that he could effect the real world from beyond when he torched the tree. The look on Luke's face was, but dude you are dead, yo!

I think Luke was supposed to not have much of a part in the next movie, going along with the let the past die theme. If we get rid of the old people and make the new ones the heroes, then they can move on.

I think CF's daughter is going to become more of a major player now. She already seemed to be the official unnamed facilitator in this one, but I be she is developed more or the future as an homage or tribute to her mom.

I can appreciate that Luke had to pass the baton. They made it to where he went out on his terms

Help me understand why the last Jedi had to exit the story as a living entity? He was AWOL in TFA and was a completely different character in TLJ. I’m with Mark Hamill on this one, the character arc for the most central figure in the Star Wars universe was changed, minimized, and sidelined. The movie was entertaining but it wasn’t true to what the story should have been IMO. A Snoke vs Luke confrontation would have been epic had it been done right. Perhaps Snoke as Darth Sidious or some other believable link to the Sith. How about a Rey vs Ben duel at the same moment?

Abrams has a history of nuking characters/environments as a means to open up freedom for writers - he’s done so with the resistance now (maybe 20 left??) which IMO is the easy way out of the corner. They had established characters in TFA that could have set up an appealing finale but many are now gone and we are left wondering about Snoke, Luke, Han, Phasma, etc. It seems Disney is more concerned about the future movies than wrapping up the long-awaited trilogy in a manner true to the original vision. Of course, Lucas would not have produced anything better...and in fact would not have done anything at all.

Last edited:
Help me understand why the last Jedi had to exit the story as a living entity? He was AWOL in TFA and was a completely different character in TLJ. I’m with Mark Hamill on this one, the character arc for the most central figure in the Star Wars universe was changed, minimized, and sidelined. The movie was entertaining but it wasn’t true to what the story should have been IMO. A Snoke vs Luke confrontation would have been epic had it been done right. Perhaps Snoke as Darth Sidious or some other believable link to the Sith. How about a Rey vs Ben duel at the same moment?

Abrams has a history of nuking characters/environments as a means to open up freedom for writers - he’s done so with the resistance now (maybe 20 left??) which IMO is the easy way out of the corner. They had established characters in TFA that could have set up an appealing finale but many are now gone and we are left wondering about Snoke, Luke, Han, Phasma, etc. It seems Disney is more concerned about the future movies than wrapping up the long-awaited trilogy in a manner true to the original vision. Of course, Lucas would not have produced anything better...and in fact would not have done anything at all.

Don't know if this was a real question or not. Either way, I have no satisfying answer.

Luke didn't exist in episodes 1 through 3. Star Wars is larger than any one character.

More thoughts:
I kinda liked that the Benicio Del Toro character showed Fin that the arms seller sold to both the "bad" guys and "good" guys, throwing out yet another push down the seemingly new path that there IS no true good and bad, just all shades of grey. Reinforced this by turning around and selling them out.

I do like the Kylo Ren character quite a bit. Casted well and has transitioned from a sniveling, hesitant weakling.

Liked that even until his final days Luke was open to new wisdom and refinement of himself (from Yoda).

"Cute" characters were less annoying than in prior trilogies.

My favorite line in the movie was a throw- away "What the hell" by Poe as he's barking orders to the speeders before stepping through the floor. Followed by the Yoda line something like "we are what they are meant to surpass, that is the true burden of the Master."

I guess I must be in the minority... I don't find Kylo Ren to be compelling.

His betrayal of Snoke was not that believable for me, for starters. How does he close part of his mind from someone so powerful like it's no big deal? How does Snoke not detect that the force is being used to turn the light saber?

Then his ridiculous behavior when he ordered every available weapon to blast Luke into atoms left me wondering how the (likely) most powerful force wielder in the galaxy could be so completely out of control and transparent.

Basically, he still seems to me like a broken child trying to figure out how to escape being a broken child.

Palpatine and Vader were calculating, implacable, and relentless. Maybe some of the gags are to blame or perhaps some other element, but to me, Kylo Ren seems to be none of those things - or certainly not to the extreme of Palpatine and Vader.

His betrayal of Snoke was not that believable for me, for starters. How does he close part of his mind from someone so powerful like it's no big deal? How does Snoke not detect that the force is being used to turn the light saber?

Then his ridiculous behavior when he ordered every available weapon to blast Luke into atoms left me wondering how the (likely) most powerful force wielder in the galaxy could be so completely out of control and transparent.

Basically, he still seems to me like a broken child trying to figure out how to escape being a broken child.

Palpatine and Vader were calculating, implacable, and relentless. Maybe some of the gags are to blame or perhaps some other element, but to me, Kylo Ren seems to be none of those things - or certainly not to the extreme of Palpatine and Vader.

Solid take. FWIW I would think Luke would kick Kylo’s ass. Hell, Rey kicked his ass apparently with zero formal training.

Which is why a Luke vs Snoke showdown would have been worth seeing.

The inner battle with him is something I find somewhat compelling.

When Kylo turned the saber on the throne, he also turned the one in his hand. The camera purposefully focused on the turn in his hand. I've read a few books that have alluded to that trick and it may have been shown to in previous movies. It's a kind of an overlay or mirroring that can hide one movement/thought within another.

I agree that Disney needs to be careful not to lose Kylo to his spastic tendencies, but to me he seemed to more fully firm up as a true villian near the end.

I want add that the 2 movies so far have created enough tension inside Kylo that he could be either the villian or the prodigal son (Which puts Hero into play as well). He has genuinely been portrayed as conflicted. He didn't fire on his mom.

That contrasts with what you observe as the relentless and absolute nature of Vader and the Emporer, they were known villains.

That there's a slight chance (maybe not by the end of the movie) that Kylo could be pulled back to the light, especially after we learn his perspective of the story with Luke standing over him with a drawn saber, adds to the tension of trying to discern if he's really a bad guy or good guy.

I have no doubt that Kylo Ren is going to end up being a protagonist by the end of Episode 9.

Addendum:

I think I could enjoy it as much as I did and rate it high, because this thread and the other prepped me for how political it was.

I went I knowing I'd ignore that, which probably freed me freed me from a good chunk of disappointment.

So.... my opinion is adjusting the politicization out.

As a 40-something year-old male that absolutely loved everything Star Wars.......when I was NINE.......this movie marks the end for me. At this point, I feel like I'm attending an HOA meeting. I feel I have to be there due to the investment. But I just don't care anymore. I can't name any of the new characters nor do I care to do so.

I don't know if it's the fact that this movie plays like it was written by a panel of vegan feminists or the fact Carrie Fisher has the voice of a Thai ladyboy.......but I just can't take it anymore.

Sayonara, Star Wars.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT