ADVERTISEMENT

If you have seen the Last Jedi post here

64% rating from fans who have seen it on RT.

Sounds like Star Wars got Disneyed.
Not really. They don't like it because it's not familiar. I'm actually shocked the critics liked it. It's different. I enjoyed it.

I freaking loved it. LOVED it!

The one thing I didn’t like, and I’ve heard that several didn’t like, was... SPOILER ALERT...

...Luke’s ending/death. I’m sure he’ll be in 9 as a Jedi ghost thing some but it just seemed like a huge let down after that awesome sequence to then have him disappear

Reactions: Been Jammin
Look, no SW movie is ever going to be the originals. Period. If you can let that go and enjoy they movie, then you will prob like it. If you can't and compare everything to the mystique of the originals, then you prob won't.

I liked it. Much better than any of the 1-3, better than 7.

Could have done without the awkward Leia floating in space thing.

Could have done without the whole side track mission that never went anywhere or accomplished anything. Altho they may say in the future that the kid became someone because of it. (anyone else 'catch' the broom egg?)

I liked the one liners; was totally Hamil. No, I loved them.

The geeks are going to be pissed because there was no resolution to the questions they all ask - mysterious origins of Rey (altho there may still be something there), who was Snoke and why is he important, plus, what went down at the jedi temple was sort of, he said she said and sorta blah.

Just let it be a good movie that moves the story along. I think it did that very well. Even the stupid vermin were funny.

Poor storytelling, odd pacing, and while it doesn’t have to be *just like* the originals, keeping it in the same feel would have been nice.

While I wouldn’t say I’m a geek, I think it’s reasonable to have questions from a general storytelling perspective as to why Snoke existed or how he came to power. That’s a key premise of the prequels- Palpatine turning to Emperor. Now we have this new uber-bad guy with no bona fides, backstory, or rationale for why he cares about any of this at all.

I’m not sure how this movie moved the overall story arc along in terms of empire versus rebellion.

Would not say it was a good movie. I liked it because I’m a fanboy, but I liked it despite itself.

Poor storytelling, odd pacing, and while it doesn’t have to be *just like* the originals, keeping it in the same feel would have been nice.

While I wouldn’t say I’m a geek, I think it’s reasonable to have questions from a general storytelling perspective as to why Snoke existed or how he came to power. That’s a key premise of the prequels- Palpatine turning to Emperor. Now we have this new uber-bad guy with no bona fides, backstory, or rationale for why he cares about any of this at all.

I’m not sure how this movie moved the overall story arc along in terms of empire versus rebellion.

Would not say it was a good movie. I liked it because I’m a fanboy, but I liked it despite itself.
No one knew anything about Palpatine in the originals.

The movie was good, IMHO. I Thought the pacing was fine.

I'm glad it wasn't an Empire clone. As Ren said, let the past die.

Reactions: TheRedSon
So why the hell did Luke just call it a day and join the force? WTF

Milking sea lion scene...was that really necessary?

Rey’s parents are nobody? Really??

We know as much about Snoke as we did before the film. Which is nothing.

Since when did the resistance only have one major capital ship?

Leia’s Space float while semi conscious in the cold vacuum of space....uhh. Ok.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed the film. I’m glad Laura Dern is toast, have never liked her as an actor. I’m glad the film was less predictable than Force Awakens. Just still processing it.

And if I’m right, there’s literally not even a single X-Wing left to fight.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed the film. I’m glad Laura Dern is toast, have never liked her as an actor. I’m glad the film was less predictable than Force Awakens. Just still processing it.

Luke's is still under water, isn't it? I had to get up and use the restroom right when Finn and Rose crash landed under the massive door but I didn't think anyone would have brought it.

I both loved it and hated it.

Two of the three major villains in this trilogy are gone, Pricess Leia will almost assuredly be unceremoniously tossed to the side in IX due to real life circumstances, the rebellion goes from destroying Death Star 3000 in the last film to literally having like 6 people left with no explanation. Finn and the Asian girl are not interesting to me at all. Poe being a hothead who needs leadership skills is also uninteresting to me.

Also, there is no carrot to keep me talking the next two years. No cliffhangers, no great mystery to solve, etc.

On the positive Kylo Ren is more interesting now as is Rey. I actually like the way Luke went out and believe he will still have a significant part in the next movie.

Action scenes were also on point as usual.

The milking scene was not necessary, but it was almost as funny as it was weird. Maybe now we know where blue milk comes from. He’s always liked the stuff.

I thought it was great. Maybe the second best one so far.

All the stuff the fan boys are hating. bothered me zero.

I both loved it and hated it.

Two of the three major villains in this trilogy are gone, Pricess Leia will almost assuredly be unceremoniously tossed to the side in IX due to real life circumstances, the rebellion goes from destroying Death Star 3000 in the last film to literally having like 6 people left with no explanation. Finn and the Asian girl are not interesting to me at all. Poe being a hothead who needs leadership skills is also uninteresting to me.

Also, there is no carrot to keep me talking the next two years. No cliffhangers, no great mystery to solve, etc.

On the positive Kylo Ren is more interesting now as is Rey. I actually like the way Luke went out and believe he will still have a significant part in the next movie.

Action scenes were also on point as usual.

I'm thinking there's only one real mystery, question, or carrot remaining.

What possible direction exists for this story? How do a handful of people take on fleets of ships?

I think Laura Dern going kamakazi into the First Order ship may have been the single coolest thing I’ve seen in a Star Wars flick.

That was really cool. I really liked the affect they used.

Need more light speed based weapons now. How have we not seen that before?

Speaking of that moment though... Did the Star cruiser destroy the light saber or did Ren and Ray?

That was really cool. I really liked the affect they used.

Need more light speed based weapons now. How have we not seen that before?

Speaking of that moment though... Did the Star cruiser destroy the light saber or did Ren and Ray?

I was convinced that Ren and Rey did it but I couldn't swear to that.

And agreed, the way they did the kamikaze sequence was cool.

Did she hit the bridge though? I was a little distracted at that point and I don't even remember.

After I walked out of the theater, I really liked it and thought it was solid.

But after chewing on it all day I’m kind of meh about it.

Agree with Duke about Space Cowgirl Leia. Cool, but whatever.

Laura Dern kamikaze’d to the left center of the ship from what I remember.

The whole Finn and Rose adventure was flat, pointless and could’ve been done better.

I didn’t see the point in killing off Luke. Seems like something they’d do on Walking Dead.

The bomber ships at the beginning were slow as hell. And did the shield for the Dreadknaught get knocked out? I can’t remember. I know Poe was taking out all the cannons.

I thought Hologram Luke was kind of cheap. But then him pulling his X Wing out of the ocean after ~20 years would’ve been a stretch I guess.

And when the Resistance troops are dug in the trenches and that one guy tastes the ground and says “Salt.” Why? Just let it be. Don’t tell us. It doesn’t always have to be explained. I know that’s nit picky but whatever.

I liked it, but I can’t go all in with it.

Kinda feel this is just like what JJ abrams did w Star Trek....rather than try to live up to expectations and a confined creative space he just destroyed Vulcan and reset....everything. This movie reset everything. Not sure why that was needed.

I feel kinda like Disney is thinking more about movies 10-20 than IX....they will bring in all new worlds and creatures into IX to milk further down the road.

I also thought the decoder character was really lame given the actors talent.

Sounds like I dislike the film which isn’t true...better than anything Lucas would have done. Like needs to play a significant role in IX and I think it will be very limited.

Last edited:

The Resistance wasn't apart of the New Republic, it is a privately funded para-military organization that Leia founded because she found out about the First Order and lost almost all of her pull in the New Republic Senate about 6 years before TFA. So they never had much in terms of a fleet, just what they could scrape together.

I like that Rey's parents are nobodies it shows that you don't have to be apart of a certain bloodline in order to be special or powerful with the force.

I like that Rey's parents are nobodies it shows that you don't have to be apart of a certain bloodline in order to be special or powerful with the force.

Which is what Luke is saying in the training. Specifically he said the Force didn’t belong to the Jedi, but he might as welll be saying (to the audience) it doesn’t belong to the Skywalkers.

EDIT - This is the third movie now that they’ve shown us you don’t have to be connected to the Jedi or Sith at all to be in tune with / use the Force. Maz Kanata, Chirit Imwe and Rose and her sister all seem to have a connection with the Force that has nothing to do with Jedi training. Even Snoke might be powerful in the Force independent of the orders we already know about.

Last edited:
Reactions: SouthWestOKPoke
I woke up today and thought:

Luke is gone - as a physical being at least - and in these long awaited movies we got Han for 2/3 of one film and Luke for one. Milking nipples. And we saw the last Jedi showdown with the evil of the galaxy exactly zero times.

Anybody else trying to figure out what purpose Benecio del Toro’s bizarre role was about?

Last edited:
I found it ironic that that they kill off two of the main characters from the old ones only to have life take the other. I liked the flick worth the watch. Like others I found the scene where Leia pulls herself back to the ship from space a bit corny. RIP General Akbar

Reactions: trapped_in_tx
Just saw it. Overall I thought it was a fun ride and they did some cool things.

My biggest gripe, at this point, is that I am so tired of the "big giant weapon that can wipe out everyone but has one weakness if they can just get to that spot" narrative. They did it with the Death Star, Starkiller base, and again with the Dreadnought and Battering Ram Cannon. You would think that the designers would do a better job of building these weapons. This is akin to building U.S. tanks with a 2 foot diameter glass porthole. Or, an aircraft carrier with its fuel tanks on the top of the ship. The reason Empire is the best movie, is because it totally went away from that formula.

Beyond that, I have all the same complaints that everyone else has pointed out ITT.

Why not have Luke actually show up and fight Kylo Ren if you are going to kill him off?

I'm guessing that Del Toro will return in the next movie, and will save the day somehow. I see him as the 2nd coming of Lando Calrissian. Seems to be a greedy bad guy, but turns out to have a heart.

I have a theory about a big reveal in the next movie. No one has mentioned it ITT, and I haven't read the theory anywhere, but I do think it will turn out to be accurate. Once you hear it, if you go back and watch TFA and TLJ again, it might be more believable, and you might wish you hadn't read it. So, open the spoiler if you want to....
Ray is Kylo Ren's sister. This is why they share such a strong connection. Just like in the prequels, the twins (or maybe siblings) were separated at a young age and Ray was hidden with someone else to protect her from those who are still loyal to the Empire. Kylo Ren knows that they are siblings but lied to her. This will become the main plot line of the next movie with their sibling conflict/relationship being similar to what we saw with Luke/Vader in the end of ROTJ.

Luke said, at least twice, that he would never leave that planet (he said it specifically, and he said he went there to die).

He said numerous other times he would not return to fight the First Order.

What he did do was far more impressive, in terms of sheer power, than a light saber fight anyway. One final lesson for the pupil consumed by hate.

I guess I’m not sure what you guys expected a more mature Luke to do with Kylo Ren. His mentor intentionally allowed Luke to witness his death, one he accepted with no self defense. Luke chose to fall into the unknown in Empire rather than take Vader’s hand and maybe fight another day. In VI he throws his light saber away.

Luke picks the third option.

He picks the third option again here.

The first time on screen you see the red surface of the salt planet your mind thinks the soldier standing there is bleeding already. Everything that touches that planet leaves red behind. Everything except Luke Skywalker (when you watch it again pay attention to his footsteps. No red). There is no blood on his hands, and he didn’t come to kill.

The scene where Leia survives hard vacuum skywalks does look cheesy.

It didn’t bother me though because (a) it’s only the fourth time (at least) we’ve seen a major character survive hard vacuum in modern popular science fiction (Guardians of the Galaxy, Battlestar Galatica, the Expanse) and (b) it is mechanically no different than moving a sword out of the snow with your mind. She’s not literally flying because it is space. She is pulling on the ship with the Force, and because the ship’s inertia is so much greater than her own, and there is no gravity or atmosphere to resist she moves toward it.

What did bother me though...

Why do we have to “drop” bombs on a space ship in outer space? How does that even work physically for one thing, and why do we not have a better delivery system to start with? Those space bombs seem closer in tech to what the Ewoks use than the weapons systems on Poe’s X-wing.

Gravity bombing something in space would not work

It would if there is artificial gravity on the bomber. The bombs are moving in a direction when they leave the bomber. They continue moving in that direction until they make contact with something. They are basically launched explosive projectiles. Like Torpedoes.

With that said, the same thing could have been accomplished with a faster, more maneuverable gunship getting above the dreadnought, flying down toward it and firing weapons.

Luke said, at least twice, that he would never leave that planet (he said it specifically, and he said he went there to die).

He said numerous other times he would not return to fight the First Order.

What he did do was far more impressive, in terms of sheer power, than a light saber fight anyway. One final lesson for the pupil consumed by hate.

I guess I’m not sure what you guys expected a more mature Luke to do with Kylo Ren. His mentor intentionally allowed Luke to witness his death, one he accepted with no self defense. Luke chose to fall into the unknown in Empire rather than take Vader’s hand and maybe fight another day. In VI he throws his light saber away.

Luke picks the third option.

He picks the third option again here.

The first time on screen you see the red surface of the salt planet your mind thinks the soldier standing there is bleeding already. Everything that touches that planet leaves red behind. Everything except Luke Skywalker (when you watch it again pay attention to his footsteps. No red). There is no blood on his hands, and he didn’t come to kill.

Really good explanations. Makes it all make a lot more sense. Especially the part about Luke’s lack of foot prints. Also explains the significance of the “salt” line. I was thinking it was all about making a cool visual, but it was much more than that.

The scene where Leia survives hard vacuum skywalks does look cheesy.

It didn’t bother me though because (a) it’s only the fourth time (at least) we’ve seen a major character survive hard vacuum in modern popular science fiction (Guardians of the Galaxy, Battlestar Galatica, the Expanse) and (b) it is mechanically no different than moving a sword out of the snow with your mind. She’s not literally flying because it is space. She is pulling on the ship with the Force, and because the ship’s inertia is so much greater than her own, and there is no gravity or atmosphere to resist she moves toward it.

What did bother me though...

Why do we have to “drop” bombs on a space ship in outer space? How does that even work physically for one thing, and why do we not have a better delivery system to start with? Those space bombs seem closer in tech to what the Ewoks use than the weapons systems on Poe’s X-wing.

The more I think about the dreadnought sequence the more ridiculous it seems to me.

From a story arc perspective, the rebels need to escape the exposed base and they need to take heavy losses doing so. The FO is going to bring serious firepower because they want to end the resistance. We need to engineer a battle that will accomplish these story points.

I'm sure fandom could suggest at least a couple dozen battle scenarios that made more sense and accomplished the story arc advancement.

As mentioned in the other thread, my biggest story issue was Laura Dern keeping the plan a secret. I fail to see any reason for it other than being a convenient way to advance and/or justify one or more subplots. If I'm missing something please enlighten me.

I agree with TRS about Luke and Kylo at the end. The projection made more sense in the story for reasons he already stated and the biggest one of all - this entire movie was about salvaging a remnant and as I hoped, the ultimate pinnacle (IMHO) of Luke as a character is rising beyond his impetuousness and truly maturing into a wise master. I think his approach was the wisest approach, both for teaching his former pupil a bit about his foolish behavior and for teaching his 'new' pupil that there are often more ways to deal with a situation than you think.

While Luke may have 'died', ultimately I think Luke won the confrontation with Kylo. Luke accomplished precisely what he sought.

With Carrie Fisher's death I would expect Luke to have a notable but not significant presence as a 'force ghost' in the last one - they pressed hard on the whole 'let the past die' theme. Just a guess though.

Yea the not telling Poe the plan thing was odd and didn’t really make sense. Just have Dern say afterward she wasn’t certain they were really being tracked and was concerned there was a spy on board or something and that would have sufficed.

They wanted us to be suspicious of Dern along with Poe.

I still think that (a spy) makes more sense than tracking through hyper space, but Star Wars has always been soft on the science half of sci-fi so who knows.
That's cause it's fantasy in space and not true sci-fi.

Enjoyed it overall and have the same minor complaints mention ITT. The stretching of some of these scenes could be just tightened up to get the screen time down would be great. I mean they picked the slowest bombers in the history of the universe. I think B-24's flew faster than those things.

The ending is where I have the biggest problem. What do we discuss for the next 2 years? No one is in peril or kidnapped. A kid in some far off planet sweeping up floppy eared horses dung has some connection to the force. Rey has some reading materials. I mean it felt like an ending to a trilogy more than the buildup to the final act.

No “I’ve got a bad feeling about this.”

No hands chopped off.

No knights of Ren.

Fin’s story was boring.

Rey was not sufficiently developed.

Half dozen heroic endings for Leila passed up.

Snoke build up for not much.

Dissatisfying Rey origen story.

Poe is no Han Solo.

Other than that I loved it. Complexity of character development is welcome. Kylo is now one of the best characters in Star Wars.

They wanted us to be suspicious of Dern along with Poe.

I still think that (a spy) makes more sense than tracking through hyper space, but Star Wars has always been soft on the science half of sci-fi so who knows.
The hyper space tracking was setup in Rogue One as it was one of the 1st things the Tarkin Initiative researched.

cUhWFN4.jpg

cUhWFN4.jpg

No “I’ve got a bad feeling about this.”

No hands chopped off.

No knights of Ren.

Fin’s story was boring.

Rey was not sufficiently developed.

Half dozen heroic endings for Leila passed up.

Snoke build up for not much.

Dissatisfying Rey origen story.

Poe is no Han Solo.

Other than that I loved it. Complexity of character development is welcome. Kylo is now one of the best characters in Star Wars.
BB-8 is the one that says “I’ve got a bad feeling about this.”

I believe they set it up for the Knights of Ren to be featured in IX, because Luke noted that Ran did not kill all of his students but took several with him and JJ loves them so much he wanted to do a entire movie about them.

Reactions: MegaPoke
BB-8 is the one that says “I’ve got a bad feeling about this.”

I believe they set it up for the Knights of Ren to be featured in IX, because Luke noted that Ran did not kill all of his students but took several with him and JJ loves them so much he wanted to do a entire movie about them.

With Luke gone, and no Jedis in training, it is hard to imagine anyone stopping the Knights. Rey against 6+ force trained individuals is a huge mismatch. I guess she might have a chance if Kylo turns and teams up with her.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT