ADVERTISEMENT

hydroxychloroquine Approved

We know you can't science. I was hoping that pokeabear could converse above the toddler level.

Pokeabear, the study population was adult males over the age of 65, the majority of whom were black males. This is prominently stated in the article by the researchers and also in their demographic data. You did read the study, right?
Si, I didn’t read what you just wrote however.

El lol! I'll leave you and your sister to articles from Politico and save any actual discussion for adults on the board.
Link? Otherwise I agree leave the discussions to the experts in the hospitals doing the work, not some middle management paper pushers.

DTS is good people. Wish he would post more (on the Corral).
BTW, here's the link to the study referenced in the Politico article. It's a pdf. Good read.

Definitely brings up questions about the doses used, timing of administration, and what effects that hydroxychloroquine has on an older and sicker population. Take the cardiac effects that are being seen from the COVID-19 virus and combine those with a population with a higher incidence of structural heart disease and a drug that can be cardiotoxic at higher doses, and it could definitely be a recipe for disaster.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.16.20065920v1.full.pdf

We know you can't science. I was hoping that pokeabear could converse above the toddler level.

Pokeabear, the study population was adult males over the age of 65, the majority of whom were black males. This is prominently stated in the article by the researchers and also in their demographic data. You did read the study, right?

I only listen to non Dr's for medical advice.

Guess that includes you, so fire away.

We know you can't science.
EWExubkUwAI3rhE

Reactions: Pokeabear
You're trying way too hard to fail, sys. Look at all of my posts in this thread. They follow a common theme. Leave the doctoring to the doctors. Doctors have a knack for evaluating evidence and then making decisions based on that evaluation. In fact, that process even has a name. It's called evidence based medicine.

Reactions: iasooner1
Holy shit, Veterans Affairs?!?!?!

We’re now so desperate to contradict Orange Man (and Gov Cuomo but we’ll leave that part out) that the Department of Veterans Affairs is getting brought in????

Really? Citing death tolls at the VA is what’s gonna get him?
tenor.gif

Holy shit, Veterans Affairs?!?!?!

We’re now so desperate to contradict Orange Man (and Gov Cuomo but we’ll leave that part out) that the Department of Veterans Affairs is getting brought in????

Really? Citing death tolls at the VA is what’s gonna get him?
tenor.gif

What's wrong with getting the data from the VA?

What's wrong with getting the data from the VA?
Nothing at all, but you do have to account for the study population being males 65 and over and the majority being African American. It's difficult to apply that data to the general population. Was the dosage excessive in the study population? Would a lower dose like those that are used in RA and SLE patients have had different results? The outcome measured was effect on mechanical ventilation. We already know that patients that are sick enough from COVID-19 to require mechanical ventilation have a high mortality rate. How was that confounder handled in the propensity scoring?

It's definitely good to see data coming in on the use of hydroxychloroquine.

Use your words? You think they'd report inaccurate data? Who?
You want me to pull up the easily accessible information on how generally shitty and incompetent the VA is because yore too lazy?

Or do you want my own anecdotes of just how generally shitty and incompetent the VA is?

Or are you being obtuse to waste my time?

Reactions: Sunburnt Indian
You want me to pull up the easily accessible information on how generally shitty and incompetent the VA is because yore too lazy?

Or do you want my own anecdotes of just how generally shitty and incompetent the VA is?

Or are you being obtuse to waste my time?
Do you think they would report inaccurate data?

Damnit...now I am going to have to read the study. If that was their study population, that cannot be generalized. At all.

Damnit...now I am going to have to read the study. If that was their study population, that cannot be generalized. At all.
Our study cohort comprised only men whose median age was over 65 years.

was more likely to be prescribed to patients with more severe disease, as assessed by baseline ventilatory status and metabolic and hematologic parameters

1. Veterans
2. Old Veterans
3. Old veterans with severe and/or advanced cases of the disease

It’s almost like they can’t help themselves.

Our study cohort comprised only men whose median age was over 65 years.

was more likely to be prescribed to patients with more severe disease, as assessed by baseline ventilatory status and metabolic and hematologic parameters

1. Veterans
2. Old Veterans
3. Old veterans with severe and/or advanced cases of the disease

It’s almost like they can’t help themselves.

I have not read the study yet, but will. And will gladly discuss it with medic and pokebear after.

That said, it isn’t that the information from this study is worthless with that bit of information. It can be useful for certain case parameters. What bugs me, and I should wait until after reading it, but it sounds like there is a major lurking variable that may not be addressed. If it is not, that study will not survive peer review. Still, I need to read it fully to see what is up. I can tell just by the study population that it cannot be generalized.

It's a good read. They're up front about the limitations of their study population. I definitely think it's good information. It may not be helpful in a broader scope, but the geriatric population is the one with the highest rate of death, so even though limited, definitely good info to consider.

I have not read the study yet, but will. And will gladly discuss it with medic and pokebear after.

That said, it isn’t that the information from this study is worthless with that bit of information. It can be useful for certain case parameters. What bugs me, and I should wait until after reading it, but it sounds like there is a major lurking variable that may not be addressed. If it is not, that study will not survive peer review. Still, I need to read it fully to see what is up. I can tell just by the study population that it cannot be generalized.
Absolutely should be considered for what it is. Would never argue otherwise.

It’s just funny watch others instead come running in to “Reeee” with it.

Last edited:

I'll add that from my perspective, we're long off from a silver bullet one size fits all treatment, if one is ever found. Any evidence in a population group goes a long way to painting a bigger picture. Dosing of hydroxychloroquine in population groups is sorely needed information. I have heard that several large scale prospective trials are underway. If so, definitely will be good info for the future.

I know I'm preaching to the proverbial choir here, but still nice to have someone to chat with outside my normal circle of providers and epidemiology types.

I'll add that from my perspective, we're long off from a silver bullet one size fits all treatment, if one is ever found. Any evidence in a population group goes a long way to painting a bigger picture. Dosing of hydroxychloroquine in population groups is sorely needed information. I have heard that several large scale prospective trials are underway. If so, definitely will be good info for the future.

I know I'm preaching to the proverbial choir here, but still nice to have someone to chat with outside my normal circle of providers and epidemiology types.

It has been nice having these types of discussions in the most unlikely of places. I frequently discuss with our regional medical director on this subject which has been fun, but here, when politics are set aside, have been really good. She and I are the only two with the strong scientific interests, so you know how those types of discussions go, so this mix is fun, I am exhausted, but it is worth my time to read things like this and discuss.

Absolutely should be considered considered for what it is. Would never argue otherwise.

It’s just funny watch others instead come running in to “Reeee” with it.
Does the Reeeeeeeee include those screeching "Trump was right - the very stable genius cracked the case!!!!!!!"?

Does the Reeeeeeeee include those screeching "Trump was right - the very stable genius cracked the case!!!!!!!"?
LOL Sure. Is it really that terribly hard to stick to something like this?

It has been nice having these types of discussions in the most unlikely of places. I frequently discuss with our regional medical director on this subject which has been fun, but here, when politics are set aside, have been really good. She and I are the only two with the strong scientific interests, so you know how those types of discussions go, so this mix is fun, I am exhausted, but it is worth my time to read things like this and discuss.
I couldn't agree more. I'm glad you post. I have zero interests in the politicization of a pandemic virus. I'm looking for information I might not have and trying to make sense of the information I do have. I don't have the ability to initiate an offline message, but if you're ever interested in talking offline, send me one and I'll give you my cell and email. It's awesome that someone with your qualifications is willing to spend time here discussing anything.

And just for your knowledge, I've talked to Been Jammin, MegaPoke, windriver, and several of the sooner posters offline.

And just for your knowledge, I've talked to Been Jammin, MegaPoke, windriver, and several of the sooner posters offline.

You sure you want to use any of them as references????

I have met Jammin. He bought me lunch at a veterinary conference. Good dude. Clayton M and Jeff J are the only others from this message board that I have met.

I will send you a message.

Theoretically HC should help, in a test tube it has antiviral properties, but it does not appear to be overly effective in people. There have been many attempts since the 60s to prove it would help treat viruses, including SARS and MERS, yet no significant efficacy was found. This will likely be the same case.

Reactions: Been Jammin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT