ADVERTISEMENT

HS Recruiting News

Love all the excitement surrounding recruiting, trust me I'm jacked, but lets not sleep on our current young guys on the roster. Hughes & Merrill will be in the lineup for the next 4-5 years and I think Brayden Thompson will make big jumps next year with being on the mat so much with DT and this is coming from someone who has been very critical on him. It will say a lot of these guys can hold down their weights during their time here.

My updated future lineup:

125: Rocklin Zinkin (eventually Villasenor)
133: Jax Forrest
141: Sergio Vega
149: Bo Bassett
157: Landon Robideau
165: Kody Routledge
174: Dee Lockett
184: Adam Waters or Aaron Stewart
197: Cody Merill
HWT: Deshaun Ross or Michael Mocco
I thought Mesenbrink would be able to find his way into the starting lineup ... but maybe not.

Love all the excitement surrounding recruiting, trust me I'm jacked, but lets not sleep on our current young guys on the roster. Hughes & Merrill will be in the lineup for the next 4-5 years and I think Brayden Thompson will make big jumps next year with being on the mat so much with DT and this is coming from someone who has been very critical on him. It will say a lot of these guys can hold down their weights during their time here.
I agree, but you don’t recruit 10 for 4/5.

You recruit to create BOOMS in your lineup with the goal to have 10 of them.

The truth is that this roster will look much different by this time next year. The new roster limits mixed with our massive ‘25 class means that a lot of guys are going to have to hit the road. The dream will rise and the rest will get processed
Next years class is too big given the changes. Will need some grey shirts and work with RTC and even with that, could lose a few.

Next years class is too big given the changes. Will need some grey shirts and work with RTC and even with that, could lose a few.
I don’t know the exact plan but we’re at 37 now with 7 seniors and 12 commits in ‘25. Getting to 30 means we have to cut 12

The truth is that this roster will look much different by this time next year. The new roster limits mixed with our massive ‘25 class means that a lot of guys are going to have to hit the road. The cream will rise and the rest will get processed
The truth is we have a dozen wrestlers on the current roster that will never wrestle for the team as a 1st or second team wrestler. So if they have to cut wrestlers it can be done without much cost (except to the wrestler getting cut). I have not been paying attention to roster limits so I did not know the limit would be 30. Speaking of roster I still do not see Sakamoto or hear if he is in the room, how he competes. I remember how highly Coach Smith talked about him and down the road he could be our 25 or 33 pound wrestler if he is eligible and adjusts to folkstyle wrestling.

Great lineup! But…

I don’t think Jax stays around 33, Robido stays at 57 and Dee can bounce from 74-84 with 97 being an option.

If those names are our lineup, we’re a problem!

The truth is we have a dozen wrestlers on the current roster that will never wrestle for the team as a 1st or second team wrestler. So if they have to cut wrestlers it can be done without much cost (except to the wrestler getting cut). I have not been paying attention to roster limits so I did not know the limit would be 30. Speaking of roster I still do not see Sakamoto or hear if he is in the room, how he competes. I remember how highly Coach Smith talked about him and down the road he could be our 25 or 33 pound wrestler if he is eligible and adjusts to folkstyle wrestling.
I don’t disagree. I’m just saying that it’s big numbers that have to go. A lot of the guys in Johns class (Goff, Teague, Ish, Hickman etc) plus starter level guys who just can’t seem to get it going may find themselves on the wrong end of things pretty quick because the way DT is recruiting, the ‘26 class could get big too if he thinks he can upgrade.

I think the number of kids Cael processed in the first two years was somewhere around 17. At least that’s the number I think I’ve heard thrown around.

Is @Pennstate1985 on suicide watch?
DT is building a really good lineup as I expected but Cael has a 15 year head start. I was going to post a likelier PSU linup for 25-26 than the one for OSU in this thread, but I don't want to be THAT guy.

Okay, I do ... 🤣

2025/26
Lilledahl
Davis
Blaze
SVN
Duke
Mesenbrink
Haines
Barr
Mirasola
Mirasola

The biggest difference between OSU and PSU right now and for the next few years is depth. If you have a starter go down, you're likely not getting an AA at that weight. When SVN went down, we had Kasak come in and take 3rd. Nagao is injured at 133, but we have Davis that can come in. It took over 10 years to get to that level of depth. DT will get there but it takes more time than we wish.

I think we do get Bo as well, but he's beyond 26. The new roster limit will favor schools that get hammers and keep them healthy. Upper echelon schools will have less luxury in taking a "project" in hopes that they pan out in the lineup.

Last edited:
Thompson is TD’s training partner for worlds. That should help him grow

I thought Mesenbrink would be able to find his way into the starting lineup ... but maybe not.
DT is building a really good lineup as I expected but Cael has a 15 year head start. I was going to post a likelier PSU linup for 25-26 than the one for OSU in this thread, but I don't want to be THAT guy.

Okay, I do ... 🤣
Don't sell yourself short you are THAT guy. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Pennstate1985

Boys I know many have you have been holding out and hoping but I'm just gonna come out and say we most likely arent getting Blaze.

That being said I think we have a great shot at Jax and an outside chance at Bo. I quoted the above line up because I think we have a great shot at all those guys with honestly Bo being the least likely. Now Bo has yet to visit but he's a PA kid and trains at NLWC regularly and I think their dirty filthy claws are somewhat deep. Not to say a trip to Stilly with a rocking GIA on Nov 22 might not change that, so we'll see.

A few things:
I like that you added Villasenor to 125. I think he's the future there. Crazy to think Troy literally has 2 more years after this coming season.

Jax will NOT be 33 in college imo. He has 2 more years to grow and he's tall and lanky. He will want to be a 65kg guy and he has a frame that would allow plenty of muscle to be added. Same could be said for Vega. Tall, lean and room for muscle. Now, if we see zero growth between these two in the next two years then I guess you could say we see them anywhere in between 133-149. Im leaning 41-49 100%. If Vega is ready to go next year we may see a starter from this year sitting the bench of course. Idk who it might be but I can tell you who it wont be lol.

Someone stated they didnt know if Robideau could hold 57. He just made 150 for S32 and dominated. He'll be a horse at 57 for years.

65-74 depends on Dee but everything points to him going 174. Can't ask for a better athlete in your lineup. I think 65 could go several ways in the future. Best case scenario would be Stewart not growing and sliding in there and him and Routledge battling for the spot. Willie would know if Stewart Staying at 65 is a remote possibility.

I say that because after this year we presumably have 3 years of BT. Now anyone who's been on here long knows full well Ive been hard on the guy in the past. Wrestling 174 last year wasn't his optimum weight but walking in the room on Mondays weighing 200lbs after making weight that weekend was on him. That being said, if DT is saying great things about him then that's good enough for me. I also know when he and Hamiti were close to the same weight they wrestled a match in the room and BT won that match by a few points. So at this point all signs point to BT being a great 184lber for the Pokes for the next few years after Plott is done.

Merrill shows all the signs of being a 4x AA. 11 of the top 15 at 197 are Srs. The weight clears out nicely and Merrill is a stud and lives it.

Mocco or Ross either one would be amazing at heavyweight. Someone told me Ross gets injured a lot but he's a big dude and if you put another 30lbs on him he'll be a force. Mocco is well on his way to accumulating a ton of accolades. His future is crazy bright.

The truth is that this roster will look much different by this time next year. The new roster limits mixed with our massive ‘25 class means that a lot of guys are going to have to hit the road. The cream will rise and the rest will get processed
I’m sure it’s been discussed in full but who are our current 25 and 26 commits and the other big dogs we are still pursuing minus Basset, Forrest, etc?

I’m sure it’s been discussed in full but who are our current 25 and 26 commits and the other big dogs we are still pursuing minus Basset, Forrest, etc?
Villasenor, Ross, Mocco, Wolbert, Watters, are some. Theyve all been mentioned previously in this thread. Based on skill and team needs. I think we have an excellent shot at most of them. I'm probably just as curious to see who we might snag from the portal.

Villasenor, Ross, Mocco, Wolbert, Watters, are some. Theyve all been mentioned previously in this thread. Based on skill and team needs. I think we have an excellent shot at most of them. I'm probably just as curious to see who we might snag from the portal.
No doubt.

Reactions: AtownPoke
Boys I know many have you have been holding out and hoping but I'm just gonna come out and say we most likely arent getting Blaze.

That being said I think we have a great shot at Jax and an outside chance at Bo. I quoted the above line up because I think we have a great shot at all those guys with honestly Bo being the least likely. Now Bo has yet to visit but he's a PA kid and trains at NLWC regularly and I think their dirty filthy claws are somewhat deep. Not to say a trip to Stilly with a rocking GIA on Nov 22 might not change that, so we'll see.

A few things:
I like that you added Villasenor to 125. I think he's the future there. Crazy to think Troy literally has 2 more years after this coming season.

Jax will NOT be 33 in college imo. He has 2 more years to grow and he's tall and lanky. He will want to be a 65kg guy and he has a frame that would allow plenty of muscle to be added. Same could be said for Vega. Tall, lean and room for muscle. Now, if we see zero growth between these two in the next two years then I guess you could say we see them anywhere in between 133-149. Im leaning 41-49 100%. If Vega is ready to go next year we may see a starter from this year sitting the bench of course. Idk who it might be but I can tell you who it wont be lol.

Someone stated they didnt know if Robideau could hold 57. He just made 150 for S32 and dominated. He'll be a horse at 57 for years.

65-74 depends on Dee but everything points to him going 174. Can't ask for a better athlete in your lineup. I think 65 could go several ways in the future. Best case scenario would be Stewart not growing and sliding in there and him and Routledge battling for the spot. Willie would know if Stewart Staying at 65 is a remote possibility.

I say that because after this year we presumably have 3 years of BT. Now anyone who's been on here long knows full well Ive been hard on the guy in the past. Wrestling 174 last year wasn't his optimum weight but walking in the room on Mondays weighing 200lbs after making weight that weekend was on him. That being said, if DT is saying great things about him then that's good enough for me. I also know when he and Hamiti were close to the same weight they wrestled a match in the room and BT won that match by a few points. So at this point all signs point to BT being a great 184lber for the Pokes for the next few years after Plott is done.

Merrill shows all the signs of being a 4x AA. 11 of the top 15 at 197 are Srs. The weight clears out nicely and Merrill is a stud and lives it.

Mocco or Ross either one would be amazing at heavyweight. Someone told me Ross gets injured a lot but he's a big dude and if you put another 30lbs on him he'll be a force. Mocco is well on his way to accumulating a ton of accolades. His future is crazy bright.
Nice job

Reactions: Howie_Fartz

A few things:

That was me that says Jax won't be a 33 and that Robido will outgrow 57. I don't know who told me that, so it may have just been in discussion?

One thing that hasn't really been discussed is Doucet. We have a guy in him that can podium with just a little bit of an attack. He'll be training with one of the best in the country and his coach is going to pound scoring into his arsenal.

So, I think we have one year of KD that will allow a youngster to get acquainted for a season and we get an AA performance from him.

Great post by the way and thanks!

Do we have a legit shot at Ross? Only reason I ask is I’ve seen a few places he’s just as likely to pursue football as he is wrestling. Thought I’d also read at some point that he’s Iowa’s to lose (although that could’ve been from a biased source).

A few things:

Someone needs to tell Jax that if he keeps growing he’s going to mess up my future lineups /s.

Reactions: tom_v31
Do we have a legit shot at Ross? Only reason I ask is I’ve seen a few places he’s just as likely to pursue football as he is wrestling. Thought I’d also read at some point that he’s Iowa’s to lose (although that could’ve been from a biased source).
I’d assume Iowa is probably the favorite. But he did just take a visit here and at the end of the day it’s DT.

I’d assume Iowa is probably the favorite. But he did just take a visit here and at the end of the day it’s DT.
Ross is taking all of his visits, but I agree that he is Iowa's to lose. I also think that his high upside is tempered by a higher than average injury risk since he's already had two shoulder injuries. Maybe he never has another injury, but at 285, quality backups are in short supply. I'd have my team doctor look him and his medical records over really good.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
I was talking to @AtownPoke about this, there are very limited amounts of "S Class" recruits (you're positive they're contenders after a redshirt or heck these days, true freshman year) Everyone wants them but just the supply and demand makes it impossible to get them all and even if you do, have a lineup of 10 kids that level. It feels team races are ultimately decided by who wins these recruiting battles but I kind of disagree.

DT's lineup soon (barring injuries or sheer bad luck) will not have any starter that was lower than "A Class" recruits (my definition is they're AAs early but they become title contenders after a year or two when they have a maturity and room experience on some younger S class kids)

An S class would be Lockett and Forrest, A Class is the Vega, Robideau, Routledge recruits DT basically brought in on a few months work. Similarly, a lot of these A class kids might be the same level as those S class but are just later bloomers. We see that all the time. Sergio Vega and Landon Robideau could very well be that with how much they've improved lately.

Team going forward between PSU and Ok State? Well I anticipate both teams will have lineups up and down of AAs fortified kids who can win it every year so it'll be fun and tight races! I think the ultimate determinor of who wins is not just who won the biggest recruiting battles, but who ultimately uncovered more of the hidden potential A classers and late bloomers between Cael and DT because we know both of these coaches will develop them.

My honest opinion, on Cael's lineup, the only 2 kids right now out of high school someone would be "S Class" would be Kerkvliet (who as we know, was not a 4 timer) and Lilledahl (who hasn't wrestled yet) Starocci, Levi and Kasak were all kids ranking wise that is roughly the same level as a Routledge, Robideau or Vega right now (Top 10-15) and Mesenbrink was a major sleeper that Cael was very lucky to land later.

I was talking to @AtownPoke about this, there are very limited amounts of "S Class" recruits (you're positive they're contenders after a redshirt or heck these days, true freshman year) Everyone wants them but just the supply and demand makes it impossible to get them all and even if you do, have a lineup of 10 kids that level. It feels team races are ultimately decided by who wins these recruiting battles but I kind of disagree.

DT's lineup soon (barring injuries or sheer bad luck) will not have any starter that was lower than "A Class" recruits (my definition is they're AAs early but they become title contenders after a year or two when they have a maturity and room experience on some younger S class kids)

An S class would be Lockett and Forrest, A Class is the Vega, Robideau, Routledge recruits DT basically brought in on a few months work. Similarly, a lot of these A class kids might be the same level as those S class but are just later bloomers. We see that all the time. Sergio Vega and Landon Robideau could very well be that with how much they've improved lately.

Team going forward between PSU and Ok State? Well I anticipate both teams will have lineups up and down of AAs fortified kids who can win it every year so it'll be fun and tight races! I think the ultimate determinor of who wins is not just who won the biggest recruiting battles, but who ultimately uncovered more of the hidden potential A classers and late bloomers between Cael and DT because we know both of these coaches will develop them.

My honest opinion, on Cael's lineup, the only 2 kids right now out of high school someone would be "S Class" would be Kerkvliet (who as we know, was not a 4 timer) and Lilledahl (who hasn't wrestled yet) Starocci, Levi and Kasak were all kids ranking wise that is roughly the same level as a Routledge, Robideau or Vega right now (Top 10-15) and Mesenbrink was a major sleeper that Cael was very lucky to land later.
I’m so dang ready for this season to get going. If guys jump levels like I expect then not only will I have a blast watching us kick a$$ but DT will be in every single S type and A type recruiting battle that he wishes.

I know some people think he’s too much of a tweener but I like him. I especially like the attitude he wrestles with.
To me the question is how tall is he? Guys like Carroll and Merrill are to short for heavy imo. They're both shorter than Feldman by a couple inches at least I think. They'd win a lot of matches, dont get me wrong but Carroll wrestled at heavy his RS year and wanted no more of that sh/t whatsoever. Shorter guys do have a disadvantage at heavy to an extent. AA? Absolutely possible but whens the last time there was a 5'9 Natty Champ at heavy? Some will call me crazy and Willie might we'll call me a dumbass (I'm cool with it and welcome your opinion) but these are just my thoughts.

Now if Correa is as tall as Feldman or taller than I'm in.

To me the question is how tall is he? Guys like Carroll and Merrill are to short for heavy imo. They're both shorter than Feldman by a couple inches at least I think. They'd win a lot of matches, dont get me wrong but Carroll wrestled at heavy his RS year and wanted no more of that sh/t whatsoever. Shorter guys do have a disadvantage at heavy to an extent. AA? Absolutely possible but whens the last time there was a 5'9 Natty Champ at heavy? Some will call me crazy and Willie might we'll call me a dumbass (I'm cool with it and welcome your opinion) but these are just my thoughts.

Now if Correa is as tall as Feldman or taller than I'm in.

An article from last year says he’s 6 ft. Hell if I know how that compares to most of the top heavies.

Reactions: AtownPoke
I especially like the attitude he wrestles with.
This .... THIS. The kid wrestles angry with a chip on his shoulder. He's 100% quick and strong enough.

He has a nasty streak and it gets amplified. The way he wrestled at WNO struck me as he planned to decommit from Michigan for months for recruiting a more physically talented heavy but he first planned to destroy that kid and he did.

He would jump levels with DT and Merrill as a daily drilling partner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT