ADVERTISEMENT

Honest question...

This is true.

Unfortunately there are roughly 40+ murders PER DAY in the United States (source: 16,214 total in 2018 & that number is down from previous years).

So if a case is quickly handled — as it thankfully was in this case — it doesn’t make national news, or that’s literally all the news would have time to ever cover.

But that doesn’t make this situation any less heartbreaking. Just explains why it wasn’t immediately national news.

Regarding the lack of protests, outrage, etc. — there’s nothing to protest because justice has so far been served. If the killer somehow gets acquitted and released, there would damn sure be protests. But that is not and likely will not be the case.

Also, on the topic of police-related deaths vs random killings by private citizens — one of those groups is trained to PROTECT people. The job of a police officer is literally to PREVENT unnecessary death. So when one happens as a result of their actions, it becomes a larger story.

The random acts of violence (racially motivated or otherwise) by mentally ill private citizens is not in any way comparable — though also not in any way less tragic — and won’t be mainstream newsworthy unless it’s a mass killing or the perpetrator is still at large, etc.
Spot on.

Reactions: Been Jammin
A grown man walking up to a 5 year old on his bicycle, putting a gun to his head and blowing his brains out is national news any time other than the last few months. An execution of a child in broad daylight IS a NATIONAL NEWS story, the moment it happened. I firmly believe these things:

If a white guy executed a white kid, it would have been in/on all of the news that same day, or the next. And it should be.

If a black guy executed a black kid, it possibly wouldn't have been as big a story (which is sad to say), but still national level news.

White guy executes a black child in the same way? You're lying to yourself if you think that wouldn't have been the biggest story this week, next week and probably further than that.

Any grown man executing a child on the street in broad daylight in front of people is a national news story. Period. But this one wasn't until the MSM couldn't ignore it. Why? It doesn't fit with the narrative they've been cramming down our throats for 2 months.

If someone at this point still thinks it's not national news, I present this fact. The murder-suicide in Broken Arrow this spring. I saw that on ABC National News the same evening that it happened. Found out later I went to HS briefly with the father/husband in that deal, which is neither here nor there.

Notice I have not made one mention of George Floyd, the differences in the case (this guy was arrested immediately! is an argument I keep seeing). Why not? Floyd and the differences in the case are irrelevant. If you're asking how they could be irrelevant, please re-read the above paragraphs.
Do you feel “victimized” by news media?

If you want to believe that bullshit and think you live in a country with an actual racism problem, go right ahead. In all fairness, you probably see a way higher concentration of it than the average person does, but I just don't buy it.

If racism were remotely acceptable at any level in this country, calling someone a racist wouldn't be the most powerful thing you could call them... but it is, because this is not a racist country. Certainly not moreso than any other group of humans in the history of humans. Most likely far far less, obviously. And that's self evident. Clearly.
You are a human pretzel. I admire the flexibility. With the reasoning you use here anything is possible.

I understand you to be saying: a bad thing isn’t such a bad thing because it is so rare because people agree it is a bad thing. That about right?

Last edited:
Do you not see the difference between the demeanor of the other posters in this thread, sharing their opinions, etc... and then there is you. With zero to contribute except name calling.
My only post in this thread was revenant to this thread but David Allen started the shit talk. Been jammin liked his bs post, so I threw shit that those two losers. Learn to read. You are a chicken little as well

My only post in this thread was revenant to this thread but David Allen started the shit talk. Been jammin liked his bs post, so I threw shit that those two losers. Learn to read. You are a chicken little as well

That’s all you do in every thread you participate in.

Non sequitur is non sequitury.

There is the BLM organization, and there is a BLM/racial equality movement in America.

They are not one and the same.
Tell them. When you display BLM you are supporting the organization. When you march you are supporting the organization. Anytime you display the BLM logo or march in their behalf you support the brand.

Reactions: 77cowboy
Tell them. When you display BLM you are supporting the organization. When you march you are supporting the organization. Anytime you display the BLM logo or march in their behalf you support the brand.

Complete and utter nonsense.

Complete.

And.

Utter.

I’ve marched.

I DO NOT support BLM.org or the totality of their stated principles.

Not a bit.
So I don't understand all the hand wringing. Is there even such a thing as national news any more? What does mainstream media even mean these days? So MSNBC may have been slow in picking up this story (have no idea if that is true)? Big whoop. I read local accounts the same day from tweets on my feed. Likely something similar for majority of us ITT.

You are a human pretzel. I admire the flexibility. With the reasoning you use here anything is possible.

I understand you to be saying: a bad thing isn’t such a bad thing because it is so rare because people agree it is a bad thing. That about right?

Use that stuff on someone else Dave. I said what I said.

So I don't understand all the hand wringing. Is there even such a thing as national news any more? What does mainstream media even mean these days? So MSNBC may have been slow in picking up this story (have no idea if that is true)? Big whoop. I read local accounts the same day from tweets on my feed. Likely something similar for majority of us ITT.

I don't feel that it's handwringing at all. It's calling out BS.

The MSM? That's not hard man. ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CNN. Washington Post, New York Times, USA Today.

Their hypocrisy is a big whoop to you. Ok.

The MSM? That's not hard man. ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CNN. Washington Post, New York Times, USA Today.

In my opinion, Twitter/various blogger and podcasters/Drudge/Daily Wire/Breitbart/Washington Times/NewsMax/etc. are every bit as “mainstream” as those you mention.

We need new, more accurate terms...traditional vs. social media based...old school v. New school....or maybe most accurately...Leftist media v. Trumpist media.

It is naive to think that anyone, hell even you, don't bring some bias to everything they do. If you were unbiased in your reporting on this site, it would be bad business. The big whoop is just recognizing facts.

Is the BBC MSM? NPR? Huffington Post? LA Times? WSJ? My point is, the list is too long - so much so the term is meaningless.

In my opinion, Twitter/various blogger and podcasters/Drudge/Daily Wire/Breitbart/Washington Times/NewsMax/etc. are every bit as “mainstream” as those you mention.

We need new, more accurate terms...traditional vs. social media based...old school v. New school....or maybe most accurately...Leftist media v. Trumpist media.
Just getting our heads straight, every body brings a bias, would be an improvement.

Worst thing you can do IMO is say all but my sources are biased.

For me, a range of sources is the goal.

Nope. No reason to comment. You still crying? Don’t see your UK friend post anymore:cool:

Who? Now you seem confused. Might want to consider some diagnostic tests to look for a cause for the over the top anger and confusion. I sure hope it isn’t anything serious. Might break your mom’s heart. I’m sure she thinks you are pretty swell.

Reactions: davidallen
Just getting our heads straight, every body brings a bias, would be an improvement.

Worst thing you can do IMO is say all but my sources are biased.

For me, a range of sources is the goal.

Even better is using actual original sources like text of legislation/EOs/court decisions, video of statements, testimony, investigative reports, verified official tweets, etc. then using your own critical reasoning skill to analyze it yourself instead of just retweeting or adopting someone else's narrative.

Not always possible, particularly in subjects outside of one's expertise, but best if possible.

I thought I’d try one last time giving you facts and expecting you to respond to reasoned debate in a reasoned manner.

Won’t happen again.
I can't reason someone out of a position that they didn't reason themselves into. It's a waste of time. Prove to me that there is systemic racism then I'll respond. And don't tell me it's because you see so many black criminals in the Justice system in LA. That doesn't prove anything about systemic racism. It does prove systemic criminality. Other than that, you're just another bleeding heart liberal lawyer doing what they always do...promoting demonstrably and predictably failed policies based on good intentions as the way forward when, in fact, it's massive regression and destruction. Liberals have obliterated the black family with their "so called" good intentions. And the irony is that you call yourselves progressives.

Reactions: AC_Exotic
You can do your own research rather than trying to force me to defend a proposition that I haven’t actually made.

Thanks.

Here, however, is a good starting place for your no doubt completely sincere request for information that you will fairly and equitably consider.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?...tatistics&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart
You know how this goes, JD. For every article you offer as evidence, a contrary one could be introduced. And there are many. Such as the Harvard study by a black professor who was shocked at his own conclusions that there was no difference.

I've glossed over one of them you provided and it doesn't prove anything. Blacks certainly have disproportionate interactions with police based on simple demographics but likely under proportionate based on the amount of crimes they commit. Arresting criminals and enforcing the laws doesn't make one a racist or even imply systemic racism. It just proves that the black culture produces a helluva lot of criminals. The numbers are off the hook and shocking. And I take no joy in making that statement whatsoever. It's very very sad for them and for our country.

I am beginning to think that this big diverse "melting pot" experiment in human history is an abysmal failure.

Reactions: 77cowboy

Anybody defending journalism today is delusional or a liberal. Something like 90%+ of journalist contribute to the Democratic party. The negative coverage against Trump hit over 90%. All you need to do is to read the resignation letter of the NY Times Editor to know just how insidious they've become. Same with the lady who resigned from MSNBC. Twitter deletes conservatives posts. Facebook deletes conservative postings with their perverted logic. Even the Drudgereport is now useless.

Anybody defending journalism today is delusional or a liberal. Something like 90%+ of journalist contribute to the Democratic party. The negative coverage against Trump hit over 90%. All you need to do is to read the resignation letter of the NY Times Editor to know just how insidious they've become. Same with the lady who resigned from MSNBC. Twitter deletes conservatives posts. Facebook deletes conservative postings with their perverted logic. Even the Drudgereport is now useless.
So who do you believe? Trump? Random twitter personalities? It’s very dangerous to go down the path of ignoring media and journalists. Sure there are terrible ones just like in any profession. The Trump stuff is warranted. Regardless of what side of the isle you are on he just isn’t good with the public speaking aspect of his job. Seems to riff on the fly and he gets picked apart for it. Couple that with burning pretty much all bridges with media and that’s what you get.

Reactions: BrettOSU17
So who do you believe? Trump? Random twitter personalities? It’s very dangerous to go down the path of ignoring media and journalists. Sure there are terrible ones just like in any profession. The Trump stuff is warranted. Regardless of what side of the isle you are on he just isn’t good with the public speaking aspect of his job. Seems to riff on the fly and he gets picked apart for it. Couple that with burning pretty much all bridges with media and that’s what you get.
It's dangerous for the media to intentionally mislead the public.

Smart people realized years ago that we're not getting news -- we're getting propaganda.

Smart people realized years ago that we're not getting news -- we're getting propaganda.
So when you say media. All media? Are you saying there is a conspiracy and that all journalist, papers, and TV media are coordinated and in on it. And if all the media are in lockstep with propaganda and conspiracies. How did the smart people find out about it?

You know how this goes, JD. For every article you offer as evidence, a contrary one could be introduced. And there are many. Such as the Harvard study by a black professor who was shocked at his own conclusions that there was no difference.

I've glossed over one of them you provided and it doesn't prove anything. Blacks certainly have disproportionate interactions with police based on simple demographics but likely under proportionate based on the amount of crimes they commit. Arresting criminals and enforcing the laws doesn't make one a racist or even imply systemic racism. It just proves that the black culture produces a helluva lot of criminals. The numbers are off the hook and shocking. And I take no joy in making that statement whatsoever. It's very very sad for them and for our country.

Lol. You glossed over a 55 page academic article and determined it didn’t prove anything.....because “black culture produces a helluva lot of criminals.

Yeah, we are in a post racial society. :rolleyes:

I don’t engage with those that willingly and deliberately abandon their critical reasoning.

Bye, girl.

I can't reason someone out of a position that they didn't reason themselves into. It's a waste of time. Prove to me that there is systemic racism then I'll respond. And don't tell me it's because you see so many black criminals in the Justice system in LA. That doesn't prove anything about systemic racism. It does prove systemic criminality. Other than that, you're just another bleeding heart liberal lawyer doing what they always do...promoting demonstrably and predictably failed policies based on good intentions as the way forward when, in fact, it's massive regression and destruction. Liberals have obliterated the black family with their "so called" good intentions. And the irony is that you call yourselves progressives.

Prove to you something that you have already declared there is no possibility of you ever believe?

Prove something to someone that has abandoned all critical reasoning in favor or verbatim quotation of inane Trumpist talking points?

Prove someone that strawmans everything said, doesn’t read for comprehension, and actively mischaracterizes what is said and the positions taken?

Hard pass.

So when you say media. All media? Are you saying there is a conspiracy and that all journalist, papers, and TV media are coordinated and in on it. And if all the media are in lockstep with propaganda and conspiracies. How did the smart people find out about it?
Reading.

safe_image.php

Did I even defend journalism today in the post to which you responded with this strawman diatribe of Trumpist talking points?

No.

I didn’t.

Move along you ridiculous mope.

Pretty much all media....MSM/Alt-media, traditional/no traditional, leftist/Trumpist, Twittersphere from both sides, whatever....has a bias.

And always has.

In today’s times, they almost all also universally intentionally mislead and actively influence.

The danger in media today is in assuming it’s only your chosen sources that are giving it to you straight. Extreme skepticism of all media sources for analysis of original source evidence is your friend...not just the ones you have deemed “fake news”.

(Note: universal, not specific, “you”.)

Pretty much all media....MSM/Alt-media, traditional/no traditional, leftist/Trumpist, Twittersphere from both sides, whatever....has a bias.

And always has.

In today’s times, they almost all also universally intentionally mislead and actively influence.

The danger in media today is in assuming it’s only your chosen sources that are giving it to you straight. Extreme skepticism of all media sources for analysis of original source evidence is your friend...not just the ones you have deemed “fake news”.

(Note: universal, not specific, “you”.)
I don't trust Fox either if that helps.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT