ADVERTISEMENT

HBO's Westworld

Too soon to tell. I watched a few episodes of GOT (3 I think) and was instantly hooked. Have now read all the books twice and watched every episode. I would not say this is grabbing my attentions to that level. But, it is still very good.

Nice.

I'll most likely let it get a season or two under its belt then take a look.

The premise of this show just blows my mind. Go to an adult theme park and do whatever you want.

Within 100 years this will really exist on earth.

Reactions: Been Jammin
It will be called Presidential election land :)

I'll be honest, I like the start of this far more than GOT. I didn't know anything about either when I started. watching both, much more mystery on Westworld. However if you've read or watched something before based on it maybe it's not that mystery. So far I'm really enjoying this.

The premise of this show just blows my mind. Go to an adult theme park and do whatever you want.

Within 100 years this will really exist on earth.

How long ago was this written? It's amazing how closely it resembles modern video games that are built in a "world" with hundreds of story lines going on that you can stumble in and out of as you please.

It's like red dead redemption comes to life. With VR advancing as rapidly as it is, I can see something like this being close to reality in 20 years or so.

I'm just gonna assume they drink detergent and powerwash themselves from the inside out. Ugh.

Does Old Black Hat have a name? Seems like he said something about wanting find that other level so he could stay in the game and not have to leave. I would guess his desires have something to do with the bigger picture that the lady was talking to the writer about. I wondered about him wanting to somehow hook himself into whatever AI controls the whole thing, sort of like that Johny Depp Transcendence movie. That or control the robots, build more (an army) and turn the real world into his own wild west where he can do as he pleases.

I'm just gonna assume they drink detergent and powerwash themselves from the inside out. Ugh.

Does Old Black Hat have a name? .

On IMDB, he is listed as "The Man in Black". So, as of now, he does not have a name. I am wondering if he has ties to the guy that was Hopkins partner, who supposedly "died somehow in the park".

On IMDB, he is listed as "The Man in Black". So, as of now, he does not have a name. I am wondering if he has ties to the guy that was Hopkins partner, who supposedly "died somehow in the park".

Yeah I thought maybe it was him, I paused the picture, didn't look like him, but hard to tell with them being so much younger.

Put me in the camp that the Man in Black is really a good guy.

Okay, haven't read this thread because I just finished episode 1 but I hope I'm not the only one that noticed the piano playing Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun and then RS' Paint it Black when the black guy gets shot and during the shootout.

Okay, haven't read this thread because I just finished episode 1 but I hope I'm not the only one that noticed the piano playing Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun and then RS' Paint it Black when the black guy gets shot and during the shootout.

You are not.

How long ago was this written? It's amazing how closely it resembles modern video games that are built in a "world" with hundreds of story lines going on that you can stumble in and out of as you please.

It's like red dead redemption comes to life. With VR advancing as rapidly as it is, I can see something like this being close to reality in 20 years or so.

Not sure Cowpoke. But it was a movie before it was a TV series on HBO and I remember watching it when I was a kid in the early-mid 70's. In other words, it's pretty old.:confused:

I mentioned it back on page 1. ;)

There is a really good podcast called DeCrypted by Ars Technica's TV podcast that deconstructs and comments about each episode.

One of the theories out there is that the Man in Black is a first generation A.I. host from the period of time that Anthony Hopkins's character talked about when he and his partner were still developing the hosts and world. He talked about his partner's attempts and theories about wanting the hosts to eventually become fully self aware. The thought is that as first gen hosts, their "skin" was stronger than the new hosts. As we saw in the last episode, the hosts can shoot the guests, but it's more like a paint ball or bean bag on humans. The theory is the hosts have softer skin and internal workings than humans and that's why they are actually "killed" by the same bullets. It's also the reason why so few "hosts" have access to bladed weapons...knifes, axes, etc...that could actually do harm to the guests.

Reactions: davidallen
Not sure Cowpoke. But it was a movie before it was a TV series on HBO and I remember watching it when I was a kid in the early-mid 70's. In other words, it's pretty old.:confused:

I linked the movie earlier in the thread. Loved watching it as a kid. The original movie was based on a book by Michael Chrichton. The episodes of the HBO series are loosely based on the movie/book, but are being written by 2 authors (don't know their names).

I linked the movie earlier in the thread. Loved watching it as a kid. The original movie was based on a book by Michael Chrichton. The episodes of the HBO series are loosely based on the movie/book, but are being written by 2 authors (don't know their names).
Just to be clear, it wasn't actually based on a book. Crichton wrote the script for the movie and directed it himself. I think a book version of the script was released, but the movie wasn't an adaptation of a pre-existing work like it was with, say, Jurassic Park.

Movie was released in 1973. It was both written and directed by Crichton who was obviously pretty far ahead of the curve on that type thing. The visual effects and plot lines are far more advanced in the HBO series then they were in the original two hour movie which had a total budget of $1.2 million. Interesting tidbit. The original theme park which had three worlds (Westworld being one) was named Delos same as Even Rachell Woods character.

Last edited:
Movie was release in 1973. It was both written and directed by Crichton who was obviously pretty far ahead of the curve on that type thing. The visual effects and plot lines are far more advanced in the HBO series then they were in the original two hour movie which had a total budget of $1.2 million. Interesting tidbit. The original theme park which had three worlds (Westworld being one) was named Delos same as Even Rachell Woods character.

Dolores is the girl
Delos is the company

After episode 4, I am beginning to lose interest in WW. Nothing new is really happening.
Dolores continues her journey to becoming self aware and finding a way to escape WW.
Maeve continues her journey toward figuring out that they are all puppets being controlled by others.
The Man in Black continues to wander around and discover clues that seem to do nothing but lead to more clues.
Teddy continues to be the tragic figure nice guy who has a miserable existence.
The black guy, who works for the company, continues to play with fire and keep secrets about things that he knows are problems, some of them serious and scary.

The only thing that I found interesting in episode 4 was the scene with Anthony Hopkins where he revealed that he is not subservient to the corporation and that no one has any idea what it is that motivates him or what his ultimate plan is.

Reactions: 100TonsofOrangeFury
Last night I got the 'Lost' vibe for the show. It'll have a million sub-plots that never get explored or explained.

It kind of lost me a little actually.

After episode 4, I am beginning to lose interest in WW. Nothing new is really happening.
Dolores continues her journey to becoming self aware and finding a way to escape WW.
Maeve continues her journey toward figuring out that they are all puppets being controlled by others.
The Man in Black continues to wander around and discover clues that seem to do nothing but lead to more clues.
Teddy continues to be the tragic figure nice guy who has a miserable existence.
The black guy, who works for the company, continues to play with fire and keep secrets about things that he knows are problems, some of them serious and scary.

The only thing that I found interesting in episode 4 was the scene with Anthony Hopkins where he revealed that he is not subservient to the corporation and that no one has any idea what it is that motivates him or what his ultimate plan is.

I was a bit let down by that episode as well. I think right now the real problem is there is no real danger. The real people can't be hurt, and the machines just get repaired. The MIB was really cool at first because he was so ruthless, but after seeing the robots get gutted, raped then rebooted so many times, his ruthlessness is meaningless. The Hopkins scenes are all great and intriguing, anything with the repair woman and her male antagonist/sidekick blow. The rest is in the middle.

What's to be made of Hopkins being able to pause everything without verbally or physically doing anything? The others have to key something on their tablets to do that.

Put me in the camp that the Man in Black is really a good guy.

I'm starting to think you are right. Well, maybe not a god guy, but at least not evil.

He does horrible things to the robots....but hell Hopkins character walks up and slices their face open with a scalpel.... so... meh.

Reactions: JonnyVito
It's maddening how they droll out the story one piece at a time slower connecting the dots. I think its going to take the whole first season to get through the basic plot. They are slowing dropping a lot of the back story.

The man in black is fairly rich and famous in the outside world. He was recognized by one of the other guests and none too pleased about it. He goes way back to the beginning of the project and is searching. I see him as possible a Jeckel Hyde character in the real world. Part of the storyline has too be not only how the host become self aware but also how playing evil in the park effects the guests. Man in black could be a host from way back probably set free by Arnold. He's reminds me of the Yul Brynner role.

William and Logan are brothers and their family are investors in the corporation. For some reason this is Williams first trip to the park but Logan comes often. Not sure what to make of the whole white hat good brother / black hat bad brother thing. Very Lost.

Theresa came to the park as a child. She is connected to the back story. Did her parents work there? You can bet there is something dark in the backstory.

Arnold is very important. I don't believe he is really dead. The man in black is tied to him although I don't think he can be him.

This is Dr. Ford's world. He none to happy about the corporation or any outside interference and doesn't care what they want. He has a completely different agenda.

Bernard is or was his protégée but now is playing his own little game. Ford knows more about it then Bernard thinks.

The first season is leading up to some dramatic event which will bring the danger to life. Someone dies soon.

Any significance to Logan trading his gun for the gun that belonged to one of the hosts? Maybe the host guns help to determine who can and can not be shot by the human guns. They sure made it clear that he traded guns. I figure there must be a reason for that scene.

Any significance to Logan trading his gun for the gun that belonged to one of the hosts? Maybe the host guns help to determine who can and can not be shot by the human guns. They sure made it clear that he traded guns. I figure there must be a reason for that scene.

That would be one hell of a safety issue if true. I think, like the "Easter egg" line that it's just another nod to video games. Kill someone, drop your weapon pick up theirs if it's an upgrade.

I forgot about TMIB being recognized. Not just famous but someone who apparently does good deeds outside. Maybe medical breakthrough related.

Can't decide if I like this or not. I tend to like the stuff inside the park but I lose interest real quick when it gets to the "real world".

Can't decide if I like this or not. I tend to like the stuff inside the park but I lose interest real quick when it gets to the "real world".

Agreed. Real world is so flat and uninteresting. Acting/outside of Hopkins is pretty bad as well with those characters.

I guess we know where the "voice" is coming from now. If the crushed skull dude has a transponder in him that they assume is sending out info, some others most likely do that can receive info/commands. I'm guessing the transponders are turned on by key words or images (the photo for Dolores's dad, whatever he uttered to her for Delores). Not sure if the fly had anything to do with it or if it was just some sort of "bug" symbolism.

After last night, I'm starting to believe the theory that the Man in Black is William or Logan 30 years in the future.

After last night, I'm starting to believe the theory that the Man in Black is William or Logan 30 years in the future.

Me too. I think William is the Man in Black.

Two different timelines running through the show.

William/Logan's is the story of the first robot uprising.

Me too. I think William is the Man in Black.

Two different timelines running through the show.

William/Logan's is the story of the first robot uprising.

Interesting. Now that I think about it is the lobby where William and Logan arrive the same lobby that the recovery team goes to in the first episode and find Anthony Hopkins character having a drink with the retired bar keep?

Interesting. Now that I think about it is the lobby where William and Logan arrive the same lobby that the recovery team goes to in the first episode and find Anthony Hopkins character having a drink with the retired bar keep?

MIB kept talking about him and Lawrence going way back. MIB kills Lawrence. Next scene is William meeting Lawrence in Pariah. Seems important to me. The Pariah scenes were the first time the MIB met Lawrence.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT