ADVERTISEMENT

FINAL X coming to Stillwater

When is it acceptable to ask hard questions about the future of OSU wrestling? Is it time yet?
I have to say at long last it is time to ask hard questions about OSU wrestling but it has nothing to do with either Jordan who is long gone from the scene or Daton Fix who admittedly did not wrestle well today in any of his 3 matches. He was aggressive for the first period in all 3 matches and then started retreating and giving ground in the 2nd period. Not the way to win matches and he was lucky to win the first match on criteria. I am big fan of Daton and his family but for whatever reason today was not his day. I am hearing rumors about a lot of dissension in the wrestling room at present and apparently we are missing two wrestlers from the team due to "fighting". I will not name names as these are unconfirmed rumors. John has to take firm action in my opinion or we will not be even as good as last year. I hate to see this program torn apart by a few. I am not going to desert a sinking ship but this is not the program that I have supported for the last 62 years.

He was a world silver medalist last year. Because he lost to the best guy in the United States at 61 kg he lost his edge?

yes also struggled in the last 3 ncaa finals.i am not saying he is not a great wrestler.just not elite at the moment.

He was a world silver medalist last year. Because he lost to the best guy in the United States at 61 kg he lost his edge?
It is not the fact that he lost, it is how he lost.
As Obebero posted, Fix looked good in the first period and then he went into his she'll in all of the second periods. Something has to change with his gameplan if he hopes to ever be on top in this sport.

I have to say at long last it is time to ask hard questions about OSU wrestling but it has nothing to do with either Jordan who is long gone from the scene or Daton Fix who admittedly did not wrestle well today in any of his 3 matches. He was aggressive for the first period in all 3 matches and then started retreating and giving ground in the 2nd period. Not the way to win matches and he was lucky to win the first match on criteria. I am big fan of Daton and his family but for whatever reason today was not his day. I am hearing rumors about a lot of dissension in the wrestling room at present and apparently we are missing two wrestlers from the team due to "fighting". I will not name names as these are unconfirmed rumors. John has to take firm action in my opinion or we will not be even as good as last year. I hate to see this program torn apart by a few. I am not going to desert a sinking ship but this is not the program that I have supported for the last 62 years.
There are two cowboys in the finals of the U20 tournament. We have several dominating at the front side of the U23. Future is looking good maybe you should be cheering for them instead of trying to be negative about the program.Again Daton was a match away from making a WORLD team that’s not easy.

Last edited:
Even the most elite athletes just don’t have it on certain days. Dan Gable against Larry Owings. Rulon Gardner vs Karelin. The list goes on and on. It happens. Shows how impressive John’s run of 6 in a row was. You can’t have an off day.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Not to be too salty but one hard question to ask is why fans are so wishy washy about showing up in person to duals and events. Also why success can’t be recognized and celebrated by fans unless it’s an outright championship.

Fix has lost like 5 matches in his time at OSU. How many of those were to the eventual champion. Cmon. I hope he gets a championship for his sake and for OSU’s sake, but dang to say he’s not elite or has lost his edge is pretty silly. I don’t know what goes on in those matches but I do know it’s a lot easier to picture a takedown from my couch than it is to manufacture one against literally the best athletes in the sport.

Not to be too salty but one hard question to ask is why fans are so wishy washy about showing up in person to duals and events. Also why success can’t be recognized and celebrated by fans unless it’s an outright championship.

Fix has lost like 5 matches in his time at OSU. How many of those were to the eventual champion. Cmon. I hope he gets a championship for his sake and for OSU’s sake, but dang to say he’s not elite or has lost his edge is pretty silly. I don’t know what goes on in those matches but I do know it’s a lot easier to picture a takedown from my couch than it is to manufacture one against literally the best athletes in the sport.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but since Daton Fix came to OSU.
Lost to Mickey Fillipi- dual
Lost to Nick Suriano- got jobbed- finals
Lost to RBY- finals
Lost to RBY- finals

Made 2 world teams winning a silver.

Flo interviewed AJ at Final X. He had a couple interesting comments about his future and what weight Anthony will be wrestling.

He mentioned Anthony wrestling 41,49,or57. Also said he wants to make an Olympic run before he starts WWE and would take an Olympic redshirt in 24.

Cowboys future is bright. Your recruiting has been amazing. It's 100% injuries for you guys. And just like the Hawks - get and keep your guys wrestling at the senior level.

Fix overlooked Gross. Period. That's really all there is to it. He didn't take the match(es) seriously. And. Daton got hosed in the final 2 matches. At least one bad grounding call in the 2nd match. And the "takedown" out of bounds. That was unbelievably bad.

Would you mind please summing up the highlights for the non Flo subscribers?
Intensity and confidence aren’t ever going to be a problem with AJ. Got lots of “Bros” and lots of NIL talk. He said Miles Amine, Olympic bronze medalist, took down David Taylor but couldn’t take down AJ. Wants to win an Olympic gold medal before he moves onto anything else. Said Angelo is a beast and Anthony is a cardio freak. Two more months until he’s back to full speed. Threw in a 665 dead lift baby at the end.

Reactions: JAY45
Cowboys future is bright. Your recruiting has been amazing. It's 100% injuries for you guys. And just like the Hawks - get and keep your guys wrestling at the senior level.

Fix overlooked Gross. Period. That's really all there is to it. He didn't take the match(es) seriously. And. Daton got hosed in the final 2 matches. At least one bad grounding call in the 2nd match. And the "takedown" out of bounds. That was unbelievably bad.
I typically don’t make excuses for losses unless there are some questionable bad calls. I agree with what this poster said about the grounding call in the 2nd match for sure. Seemed as if the ref’s were trying to help Gross out a little bit. With that being said Daton didn’t wrestle like we saw him last year at worlds and trials. The intensity and desire in all of his second periods in his matches were not there.

Ive been thinking to myself for a couple of years that he needs better training partners and perhaps coaches? I’m not sure how well having his Dad in his corner is helping him at this point. I know Derek has been a huge contributor to the program with his involvement and I appreciate all he does, but perhaps with the help of some new coaches he might get over the hump and win a gold. Daton is a elite talent regardless of if he makes a world team or not. Dude is a 3x AA, 3x ncaa finalist and world silver medalist. The only thing left for him to do is win it all which I believe he will get done in both styles.

Ive been thinking to myself for a couple of years that he needs better training partners and perhaps coaches? I’m not sure how well having his Dad in his corner is helping him at this point.

Ouch. and not true. Daton isn't better than Abasgazdhi - and it was a close match. He was clearly cutting too much at the Olympic Trials and the Gross loss is just an aberration of his own doing.

There's literally only one place better than okiest for Freestyle wrestling and that's PSU/NLWC. Fix and Perry and Smith are all family. No way Daton leaves unless after he graduates he feels the need to just be his own man.

Dad is in his corner - but Espo spends a lot of time with him and both Perry and John have a vested interest and love for him. Him not beating RBY isn't a mark against the coaching staff - RBY is just that good and is in the best room in the country, with the best coaches and partners.

and I still don't understand the Suriano match. It was a clear headgear pull AND they reviewed it.

It’s hard for me to understand because when I was a student I went to every dual. Walking into that arena supporting the winningest program in history is a special feeling.

edit- I thought this was on the attendance thread.

Last edited:
It’s hard for me to understand because when I was a student I went to every dual. Walking into that arena supporting the winningest program in history is a special feeling.

edit- I thought this was on the attendance thread.
Just to be clear. I still believe in Daton and I believe he will figure it out. He was not at his best at final X but as someone mentioned everyone has a bad day. I just felt that he lost the intensity in the 2nd period of his matches which may have been any number of things in his training cycle. He has the talent and character to win it all and he will.

Reactions: colcord
Ouch. and not true. Daton isn't better than Abasgazdhi - and it was a close match. He was clearly cutting too much at the Olympic Trials and the Gross loss is just an aberration of his own doing.

There's literally only one place better than okiest for Freestyle wrestling and that's PSU/NLWC. Fix and Perry and Smith are all family. No way Daton leaves unless after he graduates he feels the need to just be his own man.

Dad is in his corner - but Espo spends a lot of time with him and both Perry and John have a vested interest and love for him. Him not beating RBY isn't a mark against the coaching staff - RBY is just that good and is in the best room in the country, with the best coaches and partners.

and I still don't understand the Suriano match. It was a clear headgear pull AND they reviewed it.
And a BS stalemate call. Worst I’ve seen.

OSU needs a real and more qualified RTC coach which will hopefully happen soon. Bringing in a few more senior level athletes will also be a big help.

Reactions: NEcowboy
OSU needs a real and more qualified RTC coach which will hopefully happen soon. Bringing in a few more senior level athletes will also be a big help.
Lots of wrestling in the last 2 weeks. Refs sure do not seem to like Daton much and he gets lots of bad calls. However he had sizeable leads in each of the 3 matches and so he should have been able to overcome Gross and the refs. Daton gave ground to Gross and put himself near out of bounds and would gave up 1 on the pushout or give up a takedown. How can Gross push Daton around is not understandable when you look at the legs and size of each wrestler. I was stunned how poorly he wrestled in the 2nd periods.
Mastro wrestled okay but was not impressive. Losing 2 out of 3 to Noto does not give me confidence that he will All American next year. Noto just stopped Trevors offense. His matches against Unger and Miller make you think he will be a top 16 finisher but will he be an All American?
Carter Young looks bigger and stronger than this college season. He was impressive up to the finals but really fell apart against Cornella where he had a big lead and lost that lead. Maybe he wore out but that 2nd period he looked like a frozen wrestler.
Jordan Williams looks like he needs a redshirt year to get stronger and become a better wrestler. He seemed to hurt his back against the Penn. St. recruit. Paniro Johnson overpowered him again but not as bad as the last time they wrestled.
Luke Surber wrestled okay but was mismatch against All American type wrestlers Cassiopi and Davison. I don't know if he is much bigger than he was during the season?
Dustin won the tournament but it appears he will not go to Worlds because it appears from the interview that Starrocci will take that weight. Great comeback for Dustin against Conigliaro who seemed to gas but I was concerned how Plott wrestled the 1st period. He wrestled good against O'Malley to win the tournament. In the interview Starocci said he would wrestle Plott anytime. Plott is not near Starocci's level as I see it. Of course Starrocci appears to be a superstar.
Kyle Haas was very unimpressive being teched in 2 minutes by Schumate who he beat a couple of years ago to make the World Team. He beat Franklin who will be a freshman at Iowa this next year, and he beat Gunderson from UNI and Bates from Northwestern beat him fairly easily. I am very concerned about 184.
At this point considering last year and freestyle season I don't see us being a threat to win 35 which I was hoping we would be. Of course there will be a bunch of you who won't like this. I like our recruiting but I don't see enough development in many of our wrestlers

Last edited:
Lots of wrestling in the last 2 weeks. Refs sure do not seem to like Daton much and he gets lots of bad calls. However he had sizeable leads in each of the 3 matches and so he should have been able to overcome Gross and the refs. Daton gave ground to Gross and put himself near out of bounds and would gave up 1 on the pushout or give up a takedown. How can Gross push Daton around is not understandable when you look at the legs and size of each wrestler. I was stunned how poorly he wrestled in the 2nd periods.
Mastro wrestled okay but was not impressive. Losing 2 out of 3 to Noto does not give me confidence that he will All American next year. Noto just stopped Trevors offense. His matches against Unger and Miller make you think he will be a top 16 finisher but will he be an All American?
Carter Young looks bigger and stronger than this college season. He was impressive up to the finals but really fell apart against Cornella where he had a big lead and lost that lead. Maybe he wore out but that 2nd period he looked like a frozen wrestler.
Jordan Williams looks like he needs a redshirt year to get stronger and become a better wrestler. He seemed to hurt his back against the Penn. St. recruit. Paniro Johnson overpowered him again but not as bad as the last time they wrestled.
Luke Surber wrestled okay but was mismatch against All American type wrestlers Cassiopi and Davison. I don't know if he is much bigger than he was during the season?
Dustin won the tournament but it appears he will not go to Worlds because it appears from the interview that Starrocci will take that weight. Great comeback for Dustin against Conigliaro who seemed to gas but I was concerned how Plott wrestled the 1st period. He wrestled good against O'Malley to win the tournament. In the interview Starocci said he would wrestle Plott anytime. Plott is not near Starocci's level as I see it. Of course Starrocci appears to be a superstar.
Kyle Haas was very unimpressive being teched in 2 minutes by Schumate who he beat a couple of years ago to make the World Team. He beat Franklin who will be a freshman at Iowa this next year, and he beat Gunderson from UNI and Bates from Northwestern beat him fairly easily. I am very concerned about 184.
At this point considering last year and freestyle season I don't see us being a threat to win 35 which I was hoping we would be. Of course there will be a bunch of you who won't like this. I like our recruiting but I don't see enough development in many of our wrestlers
Nice write up. How were you able to watch the matches? Did you attend in person?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT