ADVERTISEMENT

Dunkirk [July 21, 2017]

Almost every one of the 300,000 British soldiers were white dark haired males ages 17-20 with an English accent. And military regulation haircuts.

Of course.

But, there are ways to differentiate them for the viewer. Have one of them wear a hat. Have one with red hair (surely some of them were of Irish descent). Have one wear a St. Cristopher's Medal around his neck.

I don't mean to be hyper critical. I just found it confusing. I think I will enjoy it a lot more the 2nd time.

Reactions: N. Pappagiorgio
Did you see where one critic from some liberal rag was complaining because there wasn't enough people of color or women in the movie?

"The trio of timelines can be jarring as you figure out how they all fit, and the fact that there are only a couple of women and no lead actors of color may rub some the wrong way. Still, Nolan’s feat is undeniable: He’s made an immersive war movie that celebrates the good of mankind while also making it clear that no victory is without sacrifice."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...xplores-heroism-innovative-fashion/482574001/

Very good movie, somewhat different than I was expecting. I really didn't have a problem understanding the dialogue. I think I was expecting a broader look at whole Dunkirk situation and it was mainly focused on a few characters and you don't get a feel for just how grand an operation this was.

The civilian assisted evacuation involved thousands of small vessels, 300,000 English troops and 75,000 French. It lasted 5 days.

The movie fasicnated me, but one of the things I thought was a miss, was the scale of people they portrayed on the beach. Seemed more like 40k than 400k in the movie.

The movie fasicnated me, but one of the things I thought was a miss, was the scale of people they portrayed on the beach. Seemed more like 40k than 400k in the movie.

It did seem like a pretty small area of beach for 400 K to be there without being jam packed.

"The trio of timelines can be jarring as you figure out how they all fit, and the fact that there are only a couple of women and no lead actors of color may rub some the wrong way. Still, Nolan’s feat is undeniable: He’s made an immersive war movie that celebrates the good of mankind while also making it clear that no victory is without sacrifice."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...xplores-heroism-innovative-fashion/482574001/
Are you serious? Maybe there are only a few women and no lead actors of color is because none of those people were at Dunkirk.

Anyone who gets rubbed the wrong way needs a life.

Are you serious? Maybe there are only a few women and no lead actors of color is because none of those people were at Dunkirk.

Anyone who gets rubbed the wrong way needs a life.

SJW want everything to be like the play Hamilton now.

Reactions: OSUIvan
It did seem like a pretty small area of beach for 400 K to be there without being jam packed.
They didn't gather all of the troops on the beach at once. A lot of the soldiers were kept in the rear to protect those on the beach. They apparently only queued up as they were receiving notices to do so, as the larger ships were coming in to the mole.

The Brits/French actually thought the Nazi's were going to keep up the blitzkrieg attack and were expecting tanks to come rolling through the town. Fortunately, the tanks had advanced well beyond the German ground troops and supply lines. Rommel was apparently concerned about losing tanks if they pushed on before the supply lines and fuel caught up with them.

That's what actually bought the 5 to 6 days for the Brits/French/Belgians to evacuate as many as they did. There really was only the mole in place that the larger naval ships could tie up and take on passengers. It was only when the smaller fishing boats/trawlers, passenger boats, sail boats, etc. started arriving en masse could they start taking advantage of the larger beach area and the troops could start moving away from the mole to catch a ride.

Reactions: Been Jammin
Dunkirk thread on Reddit Ask Historians:

The guys and gals who run Ask Historians are amazing. Some are PhDs, some are 'self-trained' or 'amateur' historians. All expert answers are sourced to published work and the mod team is a machine.

Thought Nolan did a great job of showing the atmosphere of chaos, confusion and fear. I didn't really have a problem with the smaller scale. From a artistic standpoint focusing on a few characters made it much more of a personal story. It also keep the budget reasonable I'm sure. My impression was that was just one small part of Dunkirk. As noted by others the mole was the one place where the bigger boats could be loaded and all 400,000 would not have been on the beach at one time. It also follows logically that it would have been the area of most intense German targeting.

Took my 14 year old last night. In terms of movie quality suspense and drama, it reallly didn't deliver.

I enjoyed it and I'm glad I saw it with her.

Had a short conversation with the sheriff working security in the theater after. He asked my take and we discussed the movie and it's accuracy and things like that. I can certainly appreciate the value of the film to the historical record and the attention to detail however in terms of entertainment value as a box office movie I just didn't find it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT