ADVERTISEMENT

Cox Gigablast

tcpoke

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Oct 21, 2004
Do I need it?

We stream Netflix on the TV. We download music to iTunes infrequently. The kids watch stuff like the PBS app and related things on the iPad. My wife is constantly do weird stuff like Facebook and Pinterest. I use my phone for this website and check email.

That is the extent of our data usage at home.

Do I need it?

We stream Netflix on the TV. We download music to iTunes infrequently. The kids watch stuff like the PBS app and related things on the iPad. My wife is constantly do weird stuff like Facebook and Pinterest. I use my phone for this website and check email.

That is the extent of our data usage at home.

Are you ever prevented from doing that stuff? Is it ever slow or glitchy?

Are you ever prevented from doing that stuff? Is it ever slow or glitchy?

On occassion Netflix will bog down some, but I've always assumed it had more to due with signal strength from my router to tv.

don't know the answer to your question, but on the opposite side, I have some friends who after the kids all moved out they lowered their internet speed through Cox to save money and didn't notice a difference.

Until Netflix or other streaming services up their game to 8k, a standard 20-50meg line is perfectly fine for heavy users. Plenty of bandwidth to go-round for everyone.

Until Netflix or other streaming services up their game to 8k, a standard 20-50meg line is perfectly fine for heavy users. Plenty of bandwidth to go-round for everyone.

Thank you sir!

Some rumors going around that Google Fiber might be in OKC a lot quicker than people think.

Reactions: shortbus
I know my internet speed (Cox) more than tripled when I switched out my wifi to the 802.11ac and set up system to run at the 5 ghz speed rather than the 2.4 ghz.

I was actually shocked by how much better the performance was, but I ran tests on a few of the websites that measure speed (by pinging off a signal in another state) and it was easily 3 times faster and a bit more.

Reactions: shortbus
So many things in your home can interfere on the 2.4 ghz band from other routers in your neighborhood, to home appliances like microwaves. There are not many things that operate in 5 ghz band so you're going to get a better connection to the router.

So many things in your home can interfere on the 2.4 ghz band from other routers in your neighborhood, to home appliances like microwaves. There are not many things that operate in 5 ghz band so you're going to get a better connection to the router.
You will have more interference problems due to the shorter wavelength of the 5ghz band. We have had to disable the 5ghz band on some of our APs due to it being useless because of the amount of interference....like -100 db useless. But, that may just be the nature of our labs/building, etc.

Yep, I've got a wood framed house less than 2,000 sf, so I don't seem to have the interference problems. Hell, I can actually pick up my signal very easily from my sister's house next door for that matter.

One thing I did notice going from 2.4 to 5, some of the interference I was getting from Tinker AFB went away (I am making an assumption it came from Tinker, because it seemed to coincide with planes landing and taking off.)

Funny thing, when I search for networks, there's one that pops up in my neighborhood that is named: Getyourownshitcheapass.

You will have more interference problems due to the shorter wavelength of the 5ghz band. We have had to disable the 5ghz band on some of our APs due to it being useless because of the amount of interference....like -100 db useless. But, that may just be the nature of our labs/building, etc.

This is true as well, your mileage will always vary when talking about wireless technology.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT