ADVERTISEMENT

Increase Attendance - Ideas

alex1fly

2nd Team
Feb 5, 2020
I thought I'd start a piggyback thread here to discuss ways to increase attendance at home duals. It's obvious to me that OSU has a lot of fans, but even when I was attending in the 90s and early 2000s I felt like attendance was quite low for how good the teams were. And it does get a little old to keep hearing about the good 'ol days of packing IGA for duals with no insight about how that was achieved or how to recreate it or how high-attendance programs manage to get people in the doors year after year.

So here are some of my ideas. Feel free to share, discuss, whatever.

1. Get the students involved. Don't assume you know what they want. Go ask them! Polls, surveys, a street team to talk to approach students between classes and straight up ask them what it would take to get them to come to a dual. Free tickets for students would be HUGE and there's certainly enough room in the arena!

2. Follow up to #1, why not give free season tickets to all students? Just make it part of their perks of being at the University. Then on dual day you reserve seats for the Reserved Ticket holders and let the rest of the seats be a free for all. Even if some people can't get in, that just adds to the hype and the mystique and next time they'll get there early, plan for it, etc.

3. Update the dual experience. New chants specific to wrestling. Let the team storyboard a bunch of ideas for making it a fun atmosphere. Get public input. And then implement some of those ideas. And don't assume wrestling fans will clamor for the basketball experience. Again, find out what people want and then give it to them.

4. Market the team outside of the University and outside of the immediate circle of wrestling fans. The majority of Stillwater has no idea that this exists. I went to public school and college in Stilly and I can tell you that none of my friends would ever come to duals with me and would only tolerate my gushing about the teams for so long. Even my buddy who was a wrestler himself, it was hard to get him to come to one.

5. Embrace the shorts/shirt already. Singlets are goofy and I'll tell you all that the #1 reason my buddies in #4 would never come to a dual is because "why would I want to watch guys in spandex lay on each other". Shorts/shirt is allowed by the NCAA, make a move! Or at least shorts over the singlet. People straight up feel uncomfortable seeing so much butt and crotch in a singlet. I get it, and I can get past it but this is a primary barrier to bringing in new fans.

6. A raffle per dual would be cool. Give away an iPad or something that students would like. Again, don't guess, find out what people want! Putting 5 grand a year into giving away iPads or gasoline cards would be a massive incentive for on-the-fencers to come to duals.

7. This is a bit of a crazy one, but have some exposition matches afterwards between members of the public. Have them register, review the rules, sign waivers, weigh, have a good ref that keeps things safer than a collegiate match, maybe shorter periods too. Wrestling is unlike the more well-attended sports in that it's hard to participate; it's easy to play some catch, shoot some hoops, throw a football, it's much harder to casually wrestle somebody (weight has to be similar, you need a safe place to do it, a ref etc). So if a wrestling dual provided an opportunity for fans to get an abbreviated match in and actually be a participant in the sport, that would bring interest for both viewers and the folks wanting to participate. Alternatively, do come-one-come-all workshops on the mat after the dual to teach casual fans how to do moves like takedowns and reverses. When people can participate and take some ownership in activity, then they'll be more likely to have it be a part of their conversations, part of what they look forward to, part of what they think about when their mind wanders, all of which builds momentum and interest.

8. Less crazy version of #8 - partner up with other teams already. Do your duals back to back in the same arena. This gets even more local wrestling fans in the same place at the same time. Heck, why not rotate hosting high schools or junior highs? I think you need to become more of a regional draw. I.e. A Perry dual right before an OSU one would bring in Perry fans that wouldn't normally make the trek to Stilly.

9. Intramural wrestling squads. Call 'em "Bring The Payne". :)

10. Print a Guide To Scoring Folkstyle Wrestling and give it out to every attendee at the door. IME this is another sticking point for on-the-fence fans. Scoring is complicated and happens fast and so a guide would help make things make sense.

11. More publicity, more marketing, more youth energy, more cool vibes, more female involvement. Make the team into the celebrities that the basketball or football players are. And then at the events, recognize that GIA kind of feels like an old boys' club. Few women attendees, and when I was going most everybody was 1 or even 2 generations older than me. It has to be *fun* for people to want to come, and part of *fun* at an event is feeling like you fit in and there are people similar to you. To call back to #5, staring seriously with a bunch of old folks at 2 spandexed dudes go at it just doesn't have a ton of crossover appeal. And to combine with #8, partner up with women's wrestling to bring in female fans and make the whole atmosphere less of a machismo-man-only vibe.

12. Official OSU wrestling discussion board with a moderator. AMAs of the wrestlers and coaches would be cool. This board is pretty good for wrestling discussion, but I hate that it's associated with so much political and social nonsense from the rest of the Rivals site. Every time I get on here I have to see a bunch of inflammatory bullcrap on the "Related Threads" on the side of my screen. It's bad enough that with OSU sports you have to deal with the constant calls to Fire Gundy, don't also subject us to the latest and greatest of what a few dozen Hobbyist Arguers are on about. It makes this board incredibly kid-unfriendly and I sure don't want my kid witnessing pointlessly volatile rhetoric every time they come on here. And make the board free! Right now we have this one, then people post in various paid sections. I don't want to pay to talk wrestling, but even if I did, I want all the wrestling discussion in one single board. Not in 34 and Counting, The Corral, Pistols Firing, and wherever else. Put it all in one place and don't auto-serve non-related topics.

13. Serious market research into what the highly-attended programs are doing combined with serious market research into what it would take to get Payne County into duals and then well-executed implementation.

14. Recognize that it's not athletic success that brings people in. Attendance was poor even during our NC run of 2003-2006. Meanwhile men's basketball will pack the house during a losing season.

15. Change the marketing to accept that we're underdogs now. The Dynasty was Defined in the 1920-1960s. It's great to honor that legacy, but one could argue there's entirely too much looking backwards. The Present and the Future is that OSU is that we're disliked by the media, discounted by other fans, and are on the outside looking in - but that's a good thing to market to our fans. The underdog, the challenger, the outside chance of victory, it's all very fairy-tale and people eat that stuff up. If we're expected to win and win, big whoop. But if we're expected to lose, and people come out and support the team, win or lose that gives people ownership and gets them excited. See #14.

Anyways, just a ramble, some critiques, and some potential solutions.

Students can purchase an all-sports ticket, which is good for wrestling. The current cost is $250, but that includes football. So, the students you see at FB and basketball games can already come for free. You have some good ideas to try to get them there.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
Give away some PlayStations. That’ll get them there.
I think we need to push for annual season ticket sell outs. I live in AZ. I would buy season tickets, and know others that would, even though I only make it back once every couple of years. Id like to easily be able to return the tickets to the ticket office for the duals I don’t make it to for resale. So my seat isn’t sitting empty.

Students can purchase an all-sports ticket, which is good for wrestling. The current cost is $250, but that includes football. So, the students you see at FB and basketball games can already come for free. You have some good ideas to try to get them there
They don’t make it easy.Logon to Ticketmaster and blah blah blah is what I heard the tickets people tell a student.why not just let them scan their student ID?

Our ticket office is a pain in the butt to deal with for tickets.They need to realize they need to beg and make it as easy on people as possible.

I bought tickets for Northern Iowa and ISU at the same time to prevent waiting in line 2x.Of course Sunday they told me my ticket was invalid bc they are clowns.Also had a hs coach behind me who said they gave him 20 invalid tickets so he was waiting his life away in line!

This is not the super bowl.I can’t believe they thought I was trying to sneak in to a $5 dual

Reactions: OrangePhish
Wrestle a more offensive minded style. One where takedowns, falls and bonus points are common. We can try all the promotions we want. If the product on the mat isn’t exciting none of that will matter. It all starts with the product you’re selling
I’m guessing the only duel or duels you went to this year was last weekend?

Wrestle a more offensive minded style. One where takedowns, falls and bonus points are common. We can try all the promotions we want. If the product on the mat isn’t exciting none of that will matter. It all starts with the product you’re selling.
Haha, why didn't John think of this?

I mean scoring points should be easy and fun, we should do more of it!

Its not like our guys are competing against D1 talent?

I’m guessing the only duel or duels you went to this year was last weekend?
Well….our only home duels prior to this weekend was Drexel, Columbia and Lehigh. We did wrestle well against Lehigh. Drexel and Columbia were simply overmatched. Home schedule this season has obviously been less than ideal.

I’ve been clamoring for a more offensive style for years. Not for attendance purposes but for tournament scoring purposes.

Reactions: okcpokefan12
I’m sure that’s the goal of every team. What is this offense style you are talking about?

Well….our only home duels prior to this weekend was Drexel, Columbia and Lehigh. We did wrestle well against Lehigh. Drexel and Columbia were simply overmatched. Home schedule this season has obviously been less than ideal.

I’ve been clamoring for a more offensive style for years. Not for attendance purposes but for tournament scoring purposes.
We are pretty offensive. But, we are also scouted pretty hard and opponents put a defensive gameplan together.

Take Fix last weekend for example...that man is a world medalist. He CAN score ALOT; but that kid was simply Wrestling to avoid getting taken down.

But, I do agree, we have to overcome that and score more. Chandler Rogers comes to mind during this discussion. What really excites a crowd is pins and throws. Casual Wrestling and newby Wrestling fans don't like to see a well-executed TD near as much as they like watching the ASSASSIN or a lat drop. These techniques are not taught at this level and are actually frowned upon.

Reactions: OrangePhish
@alex1fly

That is a pretty extensive list. But yes, it is going to take some person or group of persons that take on the challenge of packing our arena.

1. We have to get students out there. Using the All-Sports pass is very important here.

So, I agree with the give-aways and stuff like that. We have to survey the student body on what would bring them to the gym? In my opinion, kids these days are going to want free stuff and be entertained. Folk Wrestling, is simply not entertaining unless you were a Wrestler or cared for a Wrestler. So some sort of exhibition is going to have to be a draw. Maybe a MMA bout on the mat? Maybe a student vs. teacher? Teacher vs. Teacher? Coach vs. Player?

I think our fans need to stop being so soft and just show up to support the greatest program in the sport. What happened to "Loyal and True"? What happened to school pride? Just get there. Support the team. Get off your phone for two hours.

I think our fans need to stop being so soft and just show up to support the greatest program in the sport. What happened to "Loyal and True"? What happened to school pride? Just get there. Support the team. Get off your phone for two hours.

Like I said, I have never received a call or return call. I tried to organize a trip with youth Wrestlers and NEVER had my call returned about group pricing. Call it soft, I call it ripe and dying...

I can keep my pride in tact by watching on TV, Tablet or Phone wearing my OSU gear and not be treated as insignificant.

I also live 3 hours away and have infants and toddlers...so I am not coming for awhile anyway.

Look... it's not personal. Every time I say this, people make it personal. It's a general attitude in our fan base. You have a ton of excuses... I have a ton of excuses... but do all 250k people within 20 miles of GIA have an excuse? Can you not get 4% of the population to be interested to show up?

That's what is concerning.

Last edited:
Reactions: bwel9339 and DPJ
Look... it's not personal. Every time I say this, people make it personal. It's a general attitude in our fan base. You have a ton of excuses... I have a ton of excuses... but do all 250k people within 20 miles of GIA have an excuse? Can you not get 4% of the population to be interested to show up?

That’s the whole point of this thread. To think of ways to get people interested in wrestling. Especially the students.

These annual threads sure make me smile. I've been attending / watching OSU wrestling since 1979. Since that time every year I read or am involved in a conversation with fans about how to increase attendance. I sure hope some genius solves this riddle before I die.

I mean it's not just wrestling... folks don't show up for basketball or really anything else. Softball and baseball are doing well because they've made it a drinking event with the outfield patios.

Maybe taking out the seats in the 200 level behind the baskets and just building a club level platform where people can get drinks and socialize would do it.

Reactions: hlstone
And, again, all you need is 4% of the people in the surrounding counties to just show up.

Part of the problem is that Wrestling Season in youth and HS is occurring at the exact same time that NCAA is.

If you didn't or don't Wrestle, it is likely that you don't follow or care about Wrestling. It is and has been a sport problem. Iowa has the attendance because they have nothing else to do in Iowa. After Football, Deer Season and Corn Harvest, you follow Wrestling. It's cold, its gloomy and Wrestling doesn't have to compete with the NBA, specialized youth athletes and big time youth basketball.

Throw in the fact that our AD, coaching staff and University don't even try to promote excitement around the sport. I'll never forget winning a Team Title in St. Louis and Terry Don speaks, giving our team a few congratulatory comments and promptly moving to the Wrestling fans getting on the wagon to support our Men's basketball team in the NCAA tourney.

Call them excuses, I'll continue to call it a higher-up problem. We need a system and plan of action, it's that simple.

But really what more is there to do in Oklahoma than there is to do in Iowa?

It's a combination problem for sure. Look... I only go to one or two duals a year. I live far away. I have other things to do. Again, you're taking a broad problem and making it personal. It's not. It's a numbers game. Our numbers suck. It's the athletic department not doing enough. It's the fans not caring enough.

Students are the biggest untapped group. A couple ideas come to mind…

Schedule a legitimate Orange/black ranking match with all the bells and whistles and schedule it right before football homecoming and try to utilize that event to drum up attendance. Work with Greek life to make attendance of this as part of the “scoring” system to win homecoming and you will have a few thousand Greeks there.

Work with the AD (and this is for all non-revenue sports) on a point system for premium football seating. Texas AM and a few others do this. Students earn points by attending non-revenue sport home games/duals and the more points they generate they get better seating at football games.

But really what more is there to do in Oklahoma than there is to do in Iowa?

It's a combination problem for sure. Look... I only go to one or two duals a year. I live far away. I have other things to do. Again, you're taking a broad problem and making it personal. It's not. It's a numbers game. Our numbers suck. It's the athletic department not doing enough. It's the fans not caring enough.
No, I am not taking your comments personal. I am okay with differing opinions, and I don't think we differ all that much? I take attendance personal, not you or your thoughts.

I take it personal that nothing is being done, by the biggest benefactor...the school.

On Oklahoma vs. Iowa; there is much more to do here.
-We have a 3-4 month winter, scattered over 10 months. Iowa has a 15 month winter, scattered over 8 months.
-We have Thunder Games
-Tons of lakes for recreation
-Tons of Live Music
-Lots of outdoor activities (so does Iowa, its just too cold to enjoy them during Wrestling)
-We have to contend with a stronger contingent of youth Basketball spurred on by the NBA.
-We have to contend with uO Football and their push for Football in the state.

While these states are both dominated by rural area and are fairly similar, there is quite a bit more going on in Wrestling season in Oklahoma than Iowa...unless you like to icefish?

No, I am not taking your comments personal. I am okay with differing opinions, and I don't think we differ all that much? I take attendance personal, not you or your thoughts.

I take it personal that nothing is being done, by the biggest benefactor...the school.

On Oklahoma vs. Iowa; there is much more to do here.
-We have a 3-4 month winter, scattered over 10 months. Iowa has a 15 month winter, scattered over 8 months.
-We have Thunder Games
-Tons of lakes for recreation
-Tons of Live Music
-Lots of outdoor activities (so does Iowa, its just too cold to enjoy them during Wrestling)
-We have to contend with a stronger contingent of youth Basketball spurred on by the NBA.
-We have to contend with uO Football and their push for Football in the state.

While these states are both dominated by rural area and are fairly similar, there is quite a bit more going on in Wrestling season in Oklahoma than Iowa...unless you like to icefish?
I agree that the wrestling staff and athletic administration should naturally take on attendance concerns but they haven't. The Athletic Director even said a year or 2 ago that we have ignored wrestling and worked on other sports. How does Coach Smith allow this to happen, well it fits with not winning a championship for 16 years. We have good coaching and now we are recruiting but athletic administration and wrestling staff need to start working and putting action, money and facilities to restore wrestling where it should be. Chasepollard has described the problem where there is not any cooperation when he is trying to get more people at a dual. Businesses that are run this way go out of business. Which is slowly happening with us. I also agree as stated earlier by me 2 home duals like this weekend kills attendance and to be honest I haven't felt like we wrestled good during any dual since 2022 started. Plus a poor schedule doesn't help either.

Last edited:
Reactions: cachap5327
I believe any student should be granted free admission with the purchase of a large soft drink.
No comments on this? I'm completely serious here. If you get them in the door with a bigger crowd, some of them will become acutal fans and stick around when they gradual. At least do it for the not so big matches, and let them set in the high reserve seats.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
No comments on this? I'm completely serious here. If you get them in the door with a bigger crowd, some of them will become acutal fans and stick around when they gradual. At least do it for the not so big matches, and let them set in the high reserve seats.
I mean it’s a ok idea I guess but any student with the All Sports Pass can get into the matches for free.

Reactions: okcpokefan12
I'm telling yall students don't care about anything... Need to make a tik tok challenge and maybe they'll show up.
I asked a coworker of mine who’s also a student if he was going to the wrestling match the other day and he said “nah I’m not a big fan of watching guys fondle each others buttholes”. So if that’s the prevailing attitude towards wrestling amongst the student body there’s prolly nothing we can do to get a lot of the students to show up lol.

I asked a coworker of mine who’s also a student if he was going to the wrestling match the other day and he said “nah I’m not a big fan of watching guys fondle each others buttholes”. So if that’s the prevailing attitude towards wrestling amongst the student body there’s prolly nothing we can do to get a lot of the students to show up lol.
Those people are ignorant. And should get the dog shit stomped out of them by a wrestler for saying that.

Tell him you're going to inform a wrestler you know of his thoughts.

Also, I'm pretty concerned about how confident he is with his sexuality?

I'm telling yall students don't care about anything... Need to make a tik tok challenge and maybe they'll show up.

Need to find something they do care about. A good number care about football games so tie attendance to non-revenue sporting events to their quality of football seating.

A few thousand Greeks care about winning homecoming and a handful of other events so incentive them for attending by partnering in these areas.

Need someone to get creative and put some work into this. It’s happening at other universities with the same demographic so it can happen here.

Reactions: chasepollard
@osu2082 these are stellar ideas.

If Wrestling attendance had a point accumulation system tied to winning homecoming, you'd see a surge!

Of course you'd like to see them stay the entire dual, but a little more creativity would keep them there.

-fraternity vs. Fraternity exhibitions
-sorority vs. Sorority exhibitions (which I'd drive 3 hours to witness)
-awards presentations to the top 3 attendees

There are some great options here!

Reactions: hlstone and osu2082
Need to find something they do care about. A good number care about football games so tie attendance to non-revenue sporting events to their quality of football seating.

A few thousand Greeks care about winning homecoming and a handful of other events so incentive them for attending by partnering in these areas.

Need someone to get creative and put some work into this. It’s happening at other universities with the same demographic so it can happen here.
I remember in one of my classes back in the early 2000’s my professor offered extra credit points to students who attended certain sporting events with wrestling being one of them. It would be involvement like that from the university faculty and admin to encourage students to be more involved. Attendance isn’t necessarily what it used to be but it still isn’t that bad. Are we packing the stands like some big10 schools? No, but as far as Big12 teams are concerned I would believe that we have the best. Only real way to improve attendance is by brining in solid competition and winning not just duals but national titles.

Incentives, creativity, and more administrative support seem to be the themes here.

Not ignorant to recognize that the uniforms make a lot of people feel uncomfortable. Why does folkstyle wrestling insist on skintight singlets where you can see everyone's junk? Shorts are allowed now by the NCAA (is this correct? I remember reading about the rule change, but can't find anything now to back that up), I say meet people where they're at rather than shame them for not being on board. Singlets are goofy and dissuade people from attending, plain and simple. To solve this issue you can either tackle homophobia on a societal level or you can just wear another legally allowed uniform that doesn't make people feel uncomfortable.

Still am not convinced winning titles brings in fans. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong one day.

Incentives, creativity, and more administrative support seem to be the themes here.

Not ignorant to recognize that the uniforms make a lot of people feel uncomfortable. Why does folkstyle wrestling insist on skintight singlets where you can see everyone's junk? Shorts are allowed now by the NCAA (is this correct? I remember reading about the rule change, but can't find anything now to back that up), I say meet people where they're at rather than shame them for not being on board. Singlets are goofy and dissuade people from attending, plain and simple. To solve this issue you can either tackle homophobia on a societal level or you can just wear another legally allowed uniform that doesn't make people feel uncomfortable.

Still am not convinced winning titles brings in fans. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong one day.
I think singlets are the least of the programs problems and changing their attire might bring in about 5 new mildly homophobic fans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT