ADVERTISEMENT

Cowboy Challenge

157 - Wright (WYO) 3-2 DEC.

Sheets had a couple of good shots at the end.

174 - Hastings (WYO) 8-7 DEC on riding time. Plott looked gased at the end and couldn't get out until after RT was secured.

So when it comes to Nationals, Fix and AJ have a legit shot at winning.

How about Boo and Whittlake? How are their classes and do they have a legit shot?

Fix will be the favorite at 133. Boo will be one of about 4-5 guys with a chance in a wide open weight.

Witlake is in the top 4 but at a weight with a defending NC (but he got hurt last night) and another guy who was been in the NC for a few years.

174 is wide open but I don’t know if Plott has the ability to get off bottom or the health in his shoulder to make a run.

AJ is also in a pretty open weight and is one of maybe 6-7 guys who will be in the mix.

Reactions: liljordan082006
I'm usually the sunshine pumper. Today was flat out terrible. Honestly the worst performance I can remember from this program in a long, long time. We wrestle like we did today and OU will kick our ass next weekend.

Last edited:
174 - Hastings (WYO) 8-7 DEC on riding time. Plott looked gased at the end and couldn't get out until after RT was secured.

He dislocated his shoulder and then popped it back in place and the match turned.

Sheets was the only loss that really concerns you though. Boo was right there with another NC contender and Plott hurt his shoulder.

Posted before Geers performance. 🤦🏻‍♂️

What a horrible day of wrestling. For the last 10 years we get very few upsets and we get upset with some frequency.
Just watched the Geer match and I think most of our wrestlers and our coaches should be embarrassed. Most of our wrestlers have lacked confidence, focus and motivation today. Coaches did a very poor job of preparing our team for this competition. I think this is the low point of the year by far.

Just watched the Geer match and I think most of our wrestlers and our coaches should be embarrassed. Most of our wrestlers have lacked confidence, focus and motivation today. Coaches did a very poor job of preparing our team for this competition. I think this is the low point of the year by far.
The next 3 weeks before Big 12's, they need to refocus after this performance today. Fix looked amazing though.

Sheets was the only loss that really concerns you though. Boo was right there with another NC contender and Plott hurt his shoulder.

I'm not hitting the panic button or anything for sure. Just overall brutal day when you lose every single big match. I'm not super concerned with any one individual other than I think Sheets seems nowhere close to 100% and Plott's injury is starting to get concerning.

Now the positive is the whole thing seemed to be for Fix and he looked like a complete animal. Also, even though he lost I feel even more confident that AJ is in the mix with the best of the best. Wittlake also continues to look great.

I wouldn't want any part of what these kids are going to go through the next week in the room.

Buchanan should have had a TD on the edge but it was ruled no TD then Adams gets one late in the 1st.

I just saw Coach Smith watching the 197 finals shaking his head while watching. He is likely angry or depressed watching this.

197 - Buchanan 6-4 DEC to back up his win in Laramie. He had to get a TD with less than 15 seconds to win and got RT.

We have some good wrestlers and a couple great ones.Nowhere near what it will take to compete for national championships if you look at Iowa,PSU,etc.They get better through the year wrestling stiff competition each dual.Yes there was a couple tough weights but top to bottom weak tournament and top teams don’t lose toss up matches and for sure rarely lose if favored.

285 - Harris 3-1 in TB1. Harris got a reversal in his half and rode Doucet out the 2nd half.

I'm not hitting the panic button or anything for sure. Just overall brutal day when you lose every single big match. I'm not super concerned with any one individual other than I think Sheets seems nowhere close to 100% and Plott's injury is starting to get concerning.

Now the positive is the whole thing seemed to be for Fix and he looked like a complete animal. Also, even though he lost I feel even more confident that AJ is in the mix with the best of the best. Wittlake also continues to look great.

I wouldn't want any part of what these kids are going to go through the next week in the room.

No question the overall feeling should be one of disappointment. Now I will day for the guys who will be part of a hopeful NC run in the next few years nothing concerned me from them. Fix looked better than I have seen him, Witlake was dominant and Boo and AJ were right there with two NC contenders.

I want to see all Cowboys win and felt a few of them really wrestled poorly so that stinks but none were from guys who I think will be critical to our run in the next few years outside of Mastro and this is really a free year for him.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Buchanan is a problem. Damn impressive match.

For certain matchups he is a nightmare. Lacks some technical ability which will make him prone to an early out also. Extremely strong and long guy though. Great upside.

We have some good wrestlers and a couple great ones.Nowhere near what it will take to compete for national championships if you look at Iowa,PSU,etc.They get better through the year wrestling stiff competition each dual.Yes there was a couple tough weights but top to bottom weak tournament and top teams don’t lose toss up matches and for sure rarely lose if favored.

Most years sure. This year it isn't that way. I'm not sure anyone has wrestled a stiff schedule this year (at least among the big dogs).

The Big 10 just hasn't wrestled this year. Iowa and Penn State have wrestled something like 4 or 5 duals this year. We have actually been one of the more active teams in the country.

No question the overall feeling should be one of disappointment. Now I will day for the guys who will be part of a hopeful NC run in the next few years nothing concerned me from them. Fix looked better than I have seen him, Witlake was dominant and Boo and AJ were right there with two NC contenders.

I want to see all Cowboys win and felt a few of them really wrestled poorly so that stinks but none were from guys who I think will be critical to our run in the next few years outside of Mastro and this is really a free year for him.

Absolutely, that is always my big thing. Sometimes there are just bad days. I'm not nervous about us long term (or frankly short term). Still, today was bad. I thought 3 champs was the absolute floor for the team today. I think if we win just one of the big matchups today feels a lot different ... but we went 0-fer.

Reactions: DPJ and osu2082
There is no excuse for Boo and Geer to wrestle like they did today. Boo has to be more aggressive and Geer was taking long-range shots like he did his first year in Stillwater. They’re seniors and they should be setting the tone for the team.

There is no excuse for Boo and Geer to wrestle like they did today. Boo has to be more aggressive and Geer was taking long-range shots like he did his first year in Stillwater. They’re seniors and they should be setting the tone for the team.

Agree for the most part. I do think Boo's is a tad different. Mauller is probably one of the rare occasions you can't be ultra aggressive.

Reactions: osu2082
Agree for the most part. I do think Boo's is a tad different. Mauller is probably one of the rare occasions you can't be ultra aggressive.
I agree with your take on Mauller, he is a counter attack guy. But Boo needs to press different levels of attack to get Mauller off-balanced and guessing. Standing in front of Mauller plays into Mauller’s hands.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
I agree with your take on Mauller, he is a counter attack guy. But Boo needs to press different levels of attack to get Mauller off-balanced and guessing. Standing in front of Mauller plays into Mauller’s hands.

Both Boo and Mauler are on the short list of NC contenders. Nothing in that match changed the outlook for either. A close win for Boo at the end of SV1 doesn’t really change a whole lot other than all of us feeling better.

That will be a very tough matchup for both guys if they hit at nationals. Mauler is a very tough matchup for Boo for several reasons (size, counter style, bottom game and strength) and Boo had a few shots late to pull the win.

No question Geer had a bad loss.

If Hone’s injury is season ending, where do we go at 141?
This was asked earlier: Where was Montalvo? If Plott’s shoulder keeps popping out, we may need him.
Go Pokes!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT